• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best 3rd party game this generation? (So far)

What is the best 3rd party game this generation? (So far)

• Total voters

SantaC

Starting with the launch of switch in 2017 to make it more interesting.

At first i thought about setting the date from november 2020 but not a lot of games on this poll then.

Edit: it is the switch version of DQXI S but i cant edit the poll.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

P5R, DQXI and FFVIIR I am not sure count for the list. They are really last gen games. DQ doesn’t even have current gen version unless you are trying to make it seem the Switch is current gen.

For me personally so far BG3 takes the cake.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Trailer Elden Ring GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

SantaC

P5R, DQXI and FFVIIR I am not sure count for the list. They are really last gen games. DQ doesn’t even have current gen version unless you are trying to make it seem the Switch is current gen.

For me personally so far BG3 takes the cake.
The switch is nintendos 9th gen even though it is not as powerful. I guess it is debatable but setting the cut at ps5/xsx launch would make this poll less interesting.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

But it is Nintendos 9th gen console
It’s immaterial. Then put a year in and include PS4 and Xbox games. So anything 2017 onwards on any platform?

Edit: I vote for Persona 4 Golden then. My favorite Persona game and one of my favorite JRPGs.

Last edited:
The switch is nintendos 9th gen even though it is not as powerful. I guess it is debatable but setting the cut at ps5/xsx launch would make this poll less interesting.
No offense, but you said "best 3rd party this generation" which implies the current generation which is PS5/SeriesX.

Titles such as Elden Ring/Sekiro are previous gen games. Sorry, but that's a fact. They run of old gen hardware and there is nothing current gen about them. Elden Ring is a phenomenal game but it does not fit this list and this is coming from a big From Software fanboy.

I think it's too early for a poll/question like this, not halfway through the gen yet and we still get many cross gen releases.

zeldaring

Banned
Yea this thread should be about ps5/xbx. The Switch hardware wise is closer to 360 then ps4 so what's the point of including it. Sekiro also released in 2019 before current even started.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The Switch hardware wise is closer to 360 then ps4 so what's the point of including it.
Regardless of “power” Switch is Nintendo’s is current generation of system. It not as powerful as PS5 and XSX but it more powerful than Nintendo’s pervious systems.

Chastten

Banned
Oh man, I'll never stop being entertained by what people on this board worry about. This isn't current gen, goddamnit, stop having fun!

I'll just consider 'current gen' as the gens that are relevant at that point in time. Anyways, haven't played much from that list, but Persona 5 and Dragon Quest 11 were both great. Other games that would make my list would be the Ori games, Nier Automata, Blue Reflection: Second Light and Ys VIII as well as a few others.

killatopak

RE4 especially with Separate Ways with ER as a runner up for me. Will consider switching em up once Shadow of Erdtree releases.

zeldaring

Banned
Regardless of “power” Switch is Nintendo’s is current generation of system. It not as powerful as PS5 and XSX but it more powerful than Nintendo’s pervious systems.
Switch should have its own thread. It really messes up the whole thread, and just doesn't make sense for obvious reasons. Just like serkiro being on the list makes 0 sense.

Last edited:

Doom85

Baldur’s Gate 3. I want to save my final thought for the OT thread as I’m pretty close to finishing it, but let’s just say, a good deal of games made immersed me and made me feel like I was on an adventure, but none to the extent that Final Fantasy IX did……Baldur’s Gate 3 is finally the game to fully climb that hill and shake FF IX’s hand. It perfectly captures that feeling of going on an adventure through strange lands, not knowing where I’ll be next, with a band of quirky and lovable characters I’ll never forget.

For me in my head, FF IX and BG 3 are all:

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

zeldaring

Banned
Not really, you just thinking too much about graphics rather than actual game.
No because switch is gonna get many ports from 8th gen essentially making the thread pointless. Might as well just make it best third part game in the last 5 years lol.

Last edited:
No because switch is gonna get many ports from 8th gen essentially making the thread pointless. Might as well just make it best third part game in the last 5 years lol.
So will PS5 and Series X/S. This whole qualifier the thread is stupid and just exposes the fanboys who have some sort of hidden agenda with moving goal posts.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No because switch is gonna get many ports from 8th gen essentially making the thread pointless.
Let me ask you this, Elden Ring doesn't have high tech graphics and it available on PS4 so I guess it shouldn’t be included current gen game? In the list also included Persona 5 which is literally PS3 game that got ported on PS4 and PS5.

zeldaring

Banned
Let me ask you this, Elden Ring doesn't have high tech graphics and it available on PS4 so I guess it shouldn’t be included current gen game? In the list also included Persona 5 which is literally PS3 game that got ported on PS4 and PS5.
If he's talking current generation only he should make it clear. Only on current gen hardware or since ps5/xbsx came out.

zeldaring

Banned
So will PS5 and Series X/S. This whole qualifier the thread is stupid and just exposes the fanboys who have some sort of hidden agenda with moving goal posts.
Lol I didn't care about any of the Sony exclusive till the ps4 era. So a fanboy is lol. I think uncharted franchise is boring, horizon is lame and they killed the last of us franchise for me with part 2.

BlackTron

If Elden Ring counts, then we have really cheapened the definition of current gen to really mean cross gen. Which is fine, but let's not kid ourselves. Hell the best way to play it is by running the PS4 version on a PS5...

If current gen really meant "the most recent hardware generation only" then the selection of games to choose from would really be very small.

Very few legitimate next gen games exist, that cannot really be downscaled for last gen without being a broken mess of a game. I'm pretty sure Xbox doesn't even have a single one (except Cyberpunk I guess which never should have had a last gen version lol)

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
If Elden Ring counts, then we have really cheapened the definition of current gen to really mean cross gen. Which is fine, but let's not kid ourselves. Hell the best way to play it is by running the PS4 version on a PS5...

If current gen really meant "the most recent hardware generation only" then the selection of games to choose from would really be very small.

Very few legitimate next gen games exist, that cannot really be downscaled for last gen without being a broken mess of a game. I'm pretty sure Xbox doesn't even have a single one (except Cyberpunk I guess which never should have had a last gen version lol)
To be fair though elden ring came out and 2022 and is a massive downgrade on ps4

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Based on time wasted played in game my list is probably.
Something like this (discounting first party and multiplayer game)

Control - I think I have like 4 copies of this game
mL5130_1024x1024.jpg

Cyberpunk - And still going.
b8f79f830c0ad7a3d4904e2e23200173_cc7f223eeb05a652f5a39d3ce2057e29.jpg

Red Dead Redeption 2 - Man I was in this world for way way too long.
red_dead_redemption_2_tribute_poster_by_patrickbrown_dfbbcny-fullview.jpg

Doom Eternal - I liked Doom'16 more but it doesnt qualify so....Eternal it is.
0ac1c8e33d29c54d68efba1de89f84b9.jpg

It Takes Two - Such fun title, and co-op games that I can actually play with my SO are so few and far between.
MV5BMGUwMWJkNGEtMjBhNC00MTNlLTgyZGYtMDUxOTQ4NzljNzE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEzMjE5NDg4._V1_.jpg

Hades - I usually hate roguelikes and roguelites but I actually really enjoyed Hades.
71FjVhf-SlL.jpg

Nier Automata - The only reason I stopped playing this game is because my cloud save got corrupted somehow, otherwise id still be trying to get all the endings. (I should really get back into it with all the new mods available on PC)
NieREndofYorha_ESRB_EN__93148.1683771317.jpg

Octopath Traveler - I love me some turn based combat and the job system in OT is actually quite fun, all be it easy to break (no pun intended)
OctoII_Packshot_SQ-500x718_US__65085.1684175417.png

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - I havent found myself cheering for myself playing a game in a while.
mL4241_1024x1024.jpg

Moochi

Sekiro has perfect gameplay. The lore and exploration isn't quite as good as Elden Ring, but for me it's the GOG.

Paltheos

Easiest vote for A Hat in Time of my life. There's been a ton of 'pretty good' games released this generation but absolutely none of them are made with the joy this game was. Possibly my favorite 3D platformer ever too. I felt so happy playing this game.

Top Bottom