• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best bar/Tavern/drinking establishment in a game?

Vandole

I just got into Bayonetta, and I have to say I love The Gates of Hell. Great atmosphere, great music, a bartender that knows his stuff, and best of all it's not too crowded. Wouldn't mind having a drink there. It got me to thinking, what are the other great places to have a drink in the world of video games?

DocSeuss

Isn't there an anime game about running a tavern and selling stuff to travelers? Because that seems like it would be cool if it weren't anime.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Afterlife on Omega (Mass Effect 2).

Love the vibe there, the characters and best of all... the boss (Aria).
Would happily drink there and in the VIP area in the back.

FluxWaveZ

The Stray Sheep in Catherine by far.
anime2.jpg
catherine_06.jpg
One of the only two openly explorable locations in the entire game, and it still worked fantastically. It's full of life and personality that returning to it after surviving by running from Nightmare Baby Chainsaw monsters was always satisfying.

Isn't there an anime game about running a tavern and selling stuff to travelers? Because that seems like it would be cool if it weren't anime.

Recettear is amazing, even if the artstyle isn't. The dialogue is great, too.

Vandole

And while this one is purely nostalgia driven, I always liked the bar in Harvest Moon SNES (or any offer that matter). Always had a nice cozy feel to it.

zqzPXFK.png

Cilla

And while this one is purely nostalgia driven, I always liked the bar in Harvest Moon SNES (or any offer that matter). Always had a nice cozy feel to it.

zqzPXFK.png

Oh my goodness yes.

I loved the bar. Partly because Eve was so much easier than the others due to the time of day it was open.

the_scumm_bar_by_monkdey-d5ojycv.png

The one closest to my heart is the Scumm Bar from The Secret of Monkey Island. (This was the only wide shot I could find, there are a few out of place / random sprites mixed in.)

But yeah, Stray Sheep from Catherine is maybe the best. Certainly one of the most fully-realized.

Arttemis

What was the crowd funded game that had the GAF contest that determined to create a tavern called the Goose and Fox inn?

DNAbro

The Stray Sheep in Catherine by far.

One of the only two openly explorable locations in the entire game, and it still worked fantastically. It's full of life and personality that returning to it after surviving by running from Nightmare Baby Chainsaw monsters was always satisfying.

Recettear is amazing, even if the artstyle isn't. The dialogue is great, too.

yup. was going to post this

Cleve

I'm a fan of the Smoldering Corpse Bar in Planescape: Torment. I don't know if it's the greatest bar, but it has some of the best dialogue in a bar.

Do you just hate anime or something?

Personally I always liked the bars in World of Warcraft, particularly the human and dwarf ones

The copper coronet from Baldur's Gate 2 is site to a HUB of sorts. It's got quests, party members, and plenty more to indulge in.

Gren

Any of the ones in Yakuza. I know it's product placement, but I like reading about all real-life Japanese liquors. I'm more of a beer guy & would never really try/look up any of those drinks.

Daverid

I haven't yet played Witcher 3, but is it safe to assume that it has some great taverns?

Oddly enough, not really. Or at least, there's not any tavern's that I'd say were really memorable. I think it's partly because of the open world, there ends up being SO many taverns that they just kind of blur together. The music is still great though.

Witcher 1 & 2 have much more memorable taverns IMO. Just more atmospheric in general, and more interesting moments that occur within them

The New Narakort in particular is an Inn name I don't think I'll ever forget.

fishbang

It's been a seedy shithole for most of its life, but I miss the Lion's Pride in Goldshire (World of Warcraft). It was a warm and comforting first stop for a brand new adventurer eleven years ago when everything in WoW seemed so large and impressive and so very far away.

Also, I was happy to find the "Cheers" bar in Fallout 4, but super sad that it was a scarifying rundown easter egg instead of a bustling pop-culture reference, as it would have been a favorite hangout/save point of mine for sure.

latest

I thought the 7th Heaven in FF7 beginning could have been really iconic, a cool base for a mercenary group to gather and plot in the slums. Not too many other JRPGs have a main hero that can enjoy a hard drink and and demand his money

But it was sadly pretty short lived

I really liked the Grim Guzzler in Blackrock Depths in WoW. One wrong move and you aggro the whole place, and there were various ways to use it as a shortcut relatively safely. My favorite instance at the time, it felt so huge with tons of shortcuts, secrets, and unique encounters.

Top Bottom