• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best bar/Tavern/drinking establishment in a game?

I liked that your band of mercenaries/party in The Last Story made a pub your home spot, goes along well with all the British accents.
I'll be damned if I can remember if the place actually had a name though.

Stray Sheep is the winner on the whole, I feel like the Monster Hunter frachise is on the brink of a great tavern with its online/multiplayer lobbies across the series but they could do with being livelier.

jimmypop

Banned
Lefty's!

Leisure_Suit_Larry_bar.png

StayDead

I've always had an affinity for Eastern Kingdoms Human Inn/Taverns from Warcraft.

Always a lovely atmosphere to hang around in.

dmd0yT4.jpg

The Stray Sheep in Catherine by far.

One of the only two openly explorable locations in the entire game, and it still worked fantastically. It's full of life and personality that returning to it after surviving by running from Nightmare Baby Chainsaw monsters was always satisfying..

Who wouldn't like to visit a bar where the bartender is Stan Lee?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm gonna go with the oddball entry: Pao Pao Cafe from the Fatal Fury series. It's a constant party up in there, yo...

hqdefault.jpg

King's bar Illusion from King of Fighters.

paopaocafe03.jpg

It's the stained glass window that does it.

Great taste here. Pao Pao Café always looks lively, when we see it in KoF endings. Or even in game!

latest

latest

Isn't there an anime game about running a tavern and selling stuff to travelers? Because that seems like it would be cool if it weren't anime.

I thought this was the game you were mentioning, not Recettear

Bar from VA-11 HALL-A
even though the full game isn't out.

MjW3IaZ.gif

VA-11 HALL-A just reminds me of Outer Heaven:

tumblr_m83xn1UGS81rb85xmo1_r1_500.gif

16SNATCHER_004.jpg

SNATPCE-1.png

Obviously the best Clientele of any seedy bar.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I thought FFTA/FFTA2's bars where you got your missions from were pretty cozy.

qhLXRQt.gif

Nice BG music, too.

As far as fighting game bars, gotta go with KOF '94's Mexico Team stage. They havin' an End of the World party up in there.

LGCsPfs.gif

orborborb

WKvQANq.gif

Shufflepuck Café

ly3y7N4.png

Spaceship Warlock (you could type in the name of lots of drinks)

ST6fhIc.png

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon

I93qjwK.png

Angel Devoid

9LAmEyp.jpg

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

Mindestens

Neo Member
I'll go with Cantina on Hyperion in StarCraft II, it really set apart that game from others in the genre for me. I've been playing real time strategies for fifteen years now but I can't recall one that had a hub between missions fleshed out to this extent. Or it's just that it's 3AM and my brain shut down.

Anyway, that cantina gave me the sense of continuity to what's happened, what's going on and what will happen in the future. It helped to give a little bit more context, carve some characters a little bit more and show their relationships with Raynor. And that jukebox was just freaking fun little bit added to the game that totally didn't have to be there, but was because someone cared about whole experience. Just like that memorabilia.

pwack

Kids these days. This is what a real inn looks like.

popup_screen_index.php

Bard's Tale. The original one

Agh well. Bad link. I'm on mobile and can't be assed to fix it.

I like the dystopian future bar in "Innocent until Caught". Got a nice dive vibe going on

iuD4013.jpg

The Breath of Fire 3 pub always sticks in my mind too, as it's secretly run by the best villains in the game, managed by a drunken wreck, and frequented by a holy warrior.

w4ufuNh.jpg

Evilisk

I wish I had a better picture but the pub in Folklore is great. While there's unfortunately not a lot to do there (it's just there for quests tbh), and it's not nearly as interesting during the day, there's quite a colorful cast of side characters there. A few side quests even revolve around them.

d5e4a1ca2be9f231f8ddbedfd0474e0b.jpg

Top Bottom