• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best D-pad of all time?

Naite

Vita for me. For certain complex motions in fighting games I might get an extra input or miss a diagonal, but with the vita I've been consistently accurate with my inputs.

oni-link

I've always wondered why its so hard to make a good d-pad? There are obviously examples of good d-pads, why don't their designs get re-used? Doesn't seem like it would increase costs significantly.

I think Nintendo had a patent on the "plastic cross" design, meaning others had to improvise with the "circle with a D pad shape on it" design, or go with 4 seperate buttons like the PS controllers

Brofield

Barring GCs tiny D-pad and the little use the N64 d-pad got, Nintendo perfected and patented the pinnacle of d-pad design.

Though to pick one of those? I probably have to say SNES or Wii U. DS d-pad was actually pretty good too for being able to register the diagonal movements.

either

PS2_Dualshock2_Controller.jpg

Dualshock 1/2/3/4

or

31590658-2-440-overview-1.gif

GBA SP/OG DS

Regiruler

DSi.

Wii U is good and bulky but it starts to get a little painful after a while. Wiimote sideways is OK but a tad too springy.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
DualShock 4.

I like the circular indentation in the middle.

d4%20dpad%20close.jpg

The gap in the middle kills it for me, my dpad movement typically is just pivoting from the centre so I dislike the gap of the DS4 d-pad for anything that requires much of it. Vita's is better.

SNES all the way though.

Airgetlam

Vita has a good d-pad. The dualshock 4 isn't bad either. I think it's much better than the dualshock 3's overly squishy one.

hmm there a difference between the vita and vita slim dpad?

Also is there a way to use the Saturn controller on PS3?

I'm looking for a pad to use exclusively for fighting games and want to venture outside of the standard dual shock 3.

If we're talking the Sega Saturn SLS pad, it just plain works. Simply plug it in to your PS3.

Saturn pad is my favourite. Then SNES, then DS3. DS4 is pretty decent as well.

PreFire

Idk, I really like the clicks and feel of the Xbox one dpad. The DS4 feels good too.

I can't recall older dpads because it's not something I paid attention to if it worked well. Now, the Xbox 360 dpad is hit or miss. I use a wired controller for my 360, 2 year insurance (which I renew every time I replace the controller) and my new controller's dpad sucks. Pressing down usually does nothing and pressing right also has a hard time registering.

The one I had before that had a perfect dpad, but then the cord was messed up. It would just stop responding if you moved it

TL;DR Xbox one

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I bought recently a Retrolink Saturn controller, and despite the bad reviews, questionable shoulder buttons, uncomfortable X, Y, Z buttons and a size 90% of the original, I friggin' LOVE the DPAD.

I'll hold my veredict until I get a real Saturn pad, but so far I'm impressed.

Subaru

Wow I'm surprised to see so much praise about Vita's dpad, I think it's good for a portable device, but for me it's waaay behind than Snes, Wii classic controller, Wii U Gamepad, Wii U Pro Controller and Sega Saturn.

The Vita one is terrifically clicky and satisfying. However, the handheld itself isn't very comfortable to hold for very long, and my grip makes my thumb gravitate more naturally towards the left stick in the first place, so I have to shift my grip to play with the dpad. All in all, it's not the best.

My favourite is the Wii Classic Controller Pro.

Crazy, I have a Vita, but it never occured to me that its d-pad is something special.

Most of the games I have for it don't even use it, I think..

My pick would have been the SNES.

I feel like that d-pad is somehow still engraved into my left thumb, because I used it so much in my lifetime...

Baleoce

Wow I'm surprised to see so much praise about Vita's dpad, I think it's good for a portable device, but for me it's waaay behind than Snes, Wii classic controller, Wii U Gamepad, Wii U Pro Controller and Sega Saturn.

I just dislike the size of it personally, but then again, everyones hands are different. I also find the finish on the d-pad makes it squeak / give off friction when my thumb moves around it a lot. It is a great pad though.

oni-link

I don't think a single person has said the NES yet, was the SNES D-pad a huge improvement over the NES one?

I've not used either controller for a few years

Top Bottom