• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best TV brand for gaming?

Best TV brand for gaming?

• Total voters

Airbus Jr

Banned
What is you favourite brand and best 4K TV to play videogame?

You can give your reasons if you want :)

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Sony, best quality products imo.

But price is too high tbh, so I always advice people to buy Samsung.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I have an LG right now but it´s 10 years old so probably gonna upgrade soon. Been great so far in terms of gaming though.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I have teh Sony XE900. I know there are newer versions now but I really like this TV for gaming.

The input lag isnt the best you can find but I never noticed anything. The best part is 120 FPS @ 1080p. Really awesome for gaming.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have an LG right now but it´s 10 years old so probably gonna upgrade soon. Been great so far in terms of gaming though.

Be careful - I had an LG set that was 1080p and was great for gaming, lasted a long time and worked great. When it came time to upgrade to 4K, I thought "I've had such good luck with my last few LG TVs that I'll get another." I even did a ton of research, read reviews, checked Rtings, etc and they all said the model I ended up with was "great for gaming".

It's not. It's kinda trash. The light bleed and edge lighting is all over the place. The HDR is sub-par. The input lag is okay-ish (workable) but not great. Subsequent firmware revisions seems to make things worse, not better. There are also ads baked into the firmware, so they're present even when the TV's "smart features" are disconnected. I couldn't in good conscience recommend an LG TV to anyone these days.

Bryank75

Banned
If you can afford anything, go for Sony as many have said before me. The only problem is price but you could get one in a really good sale. I’ve seen some insane deals recently. (Insane for Europe, normal by American standards)

Fake

Would like to hear more about that

Whats the problem? (i have LG 4K OLED TV never had Samsung before so cant comment)
I get 3 Sony TVs, 32 inch (my old TV, dead by now), 40 inch (one of the best TV I ever get) and 55 inch. Trade my 40 inch with my dad for a 4k Samsung TV (UN40JU6000G) and was one the worst decisions I ever made.
First one, don't even have one year and the TV keep turn on/off the screen, second I really don't understand the 'game mode' this TV have. Its unlike the Sony Bravia brand, they act like force that shit 'virtual surround' (not only that, but the 'sound options' turn gray so you can't change while using game mode), so the TV speakers became horrible in the worst way I ever heard. I need to change to PCM and disable dolby digital bitstream because of that. I tried using PC mode, but 'game mode' on this TV model have less input lag than PC mode.
And now the screen have burning screen issue. I already contact the Samsung support, but the cost is way more expansive than the original price of this TV (R$2.249,90 the TV price, R$2.449,90 for the screen fix).
Too much headache. My next or will be Sony or OLED LG for sure.

Last edited:

Ellis

1r3ht4G.gif

L5FEMd.gif

TeamGhobad

Banned
im planning to get a 4K HDR tv once nexgen rolls out. what are my options for around 1500dollars? 50inches is enough.

Cranberrys

In my opinion, it's Sony but it's really a personal thing. I've always had Sony TV's since the CRT days and I've always been happy, so it's just an habit for me to go with Sony, it's not based at all on any investigation on my part. I currently own a ZD9 and I find it amazing both for gaming and movies, before that I had a 55W905 which was also great and before that a 52W3000 which was the best TV I've never had because it was my first HDTV back in 2007 to 2014 and I will never forget the "wow factor" switching from a 32 inches CRT Widescreen TV to a 52 inches HDTV the first time I put Halo 3 on my 360 and played it in Glorious HD. Even with 4K & HDR & Xbox One X, it wasn't as jaw dropping as that.

Fake

If you're looking for the best quality, probably Sony Bravia and LG OLED, but I dunno if this translate in low input lag. I hate my Samsung, but need to confess this tv have a low input latency.

If you're looking for the best quality, probably Sony Bravia and LG OLED, but I dunno if this translate in low input lag. I hate my Samsung, but need to confess this tv have a low input latency.
This is probably the best answer. LG OLED's have excellent input lag and the best picture quality thus far, while Sony tv's are generally accepted as having the best upscaling/motion processing. Hard to give a definite answer as Samsung is starting to put FreeSync/Variable Refresh rates in most of their tv's. I think LG might be doing it with the 2019 OLEDs but not sure. If you're on a budget though, it's hard to pass up on the pricing of the TCL tv's. I'm playing on a new 75" TCL 6 series and on game mode i have had no issues so far. Granted, i'm not playing anything that would really cause the tv to struggle. TMCC matchmaking for life lol.

Panasonic then Sony.
I completely forgot about Panasonic. Not available in the US, unfortunately.

Last edited:
There is no one best brand. It depends on the set.

Sony makes the best LCD displays, and you have LG oled.

I really dig my sony x900e, but it has slightly higher input lag than Samsung's at the time - but with significantlybetter blacks/color. Now Sony's 950g (although highly expensive) has best in the business input lag, so Samsung has nothing. Qled is artificially saturated, if you want best of the best you get the lgc8 oled.

Or better yet wait for this years oled, which also has best in business input lag.

Last edited:
Citation needed.

LG make OLED panel for Sony and Apple.
What do you mean? Different makers have had the best set each year, there's no one brand that's always the best in every way.

And yes, but that has no relevance to what I said.

Last edited:
If money was no object, then yes sony is usually the best, in terms of picture. However, for the last couple of years they've lagged behind in input latency, and you don't get very good bang for the buck with Sony sets, typically. X900e was a nice exception.

They've caught up in terms of lag, but are more costly than ever.

Last edited:

Fake

What do you mean? Different makers have had the best set each year, there's no one brand that's always the best.

And yes, but that has no relevance to what I said.
Not always. Thats why I put cittation needed. In the same time someone say 'OLED LG have great quality', so do 'Sony' and 'Iphone' because those panels are from LG. Samsung used to supply apple with OLED panel, but Apple break the contract and make a deal with LG in the same way Sony for OLED Bravia display.
I get what you say, but not 'always'. Some brands are really that bad.

Not always. Thats why I put cittation needed. In the same time someone say 'OLED LG have great quality', so do 'Sony' and 'Iphone' because those panels are from LG. Samsung used to supply apple with OLED panel, but Apple break the contract and make a deal with LG in the same way Sony for OLED Bravia display.
I get what you say, but not 'always'. Some brands are really that bad.
Yes, always. Since the LCD era began.

I never said brands like element are ever top tier. I said no ONE brand is always the best.

kingbean

I've had Samsung, Sony and Vizio and ultimately landed on Samsung.

Got an NU8000 and it's pretty decent. Dark scenes aren't great because its edge lit, but I so rarely notice it in anything with color.

Last edited:
Also, Sony oleds have the same panel as lg, but their upscaling and processing are superior. However, the extra money you pay for that, I would argue is not worth it.

And lg oleds have beaten Sony's in lag by about 20ms, but things will probably change on the latest sony oled.

Last edited:

Fake

Sony oleds have the same panel as lg, but their upscaling and processing are superior. However, the extra money you pay for that, I would argue is not worth it.

And lg oleds have beaten Sony's in lag by about 20ms, but things will probably change on the latest sony oled.
I believe so. I can't confirm the input lag difference in 'HDR mode'.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sony, best quality products imo.

But price is too high tbh, so I always advice people to buy Samsung.
This isn't true at all and perhaps you should have researched before you made this statement.

The top end Samsung TVs are the Q8FN and the Q9FN and they cost quite a bit more than Sony's 900F and the newly releasesd 950G.

900F costs $1100, while the 8FN costs $1600

If you're going to go cheaper than the 900F, you muight as well save several $100 and go with either the Vizio P series or the TCL 6 series.

Last edited:
I believe so. I can't confirm the input lag difference in 'HDR mode'.
I checked and the Sony AF9 has about 27ms lag, which is a bit better than the x900e, and quite a bit better than their A1E set.

Not bad at all but their 950g LCD only has 14ms, which lg oled will match this year.

Thats strange. Samsungs best TVs are considerably higher priced than Sonys.

The top end Samsung TVs are the Q8FN and the Q9FN and they cost quite a bit more than Sony's 900F and the newly releasesd 950G.
Yeah but like I said their qleds are pointless. Their 6 and 7 series are good bang for the buck, though they aren't FALD backlit like Sony.

My wife and I have a running joke where we won’t buy Samsung’s because they might explode. In all seriousness though, we just like Sony more than any other brand.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah but like I said their qleds are pointless. Their 6 and 7 series are good bang for the buck, though they aren't FALD backlit like Sony.
Not really. The Q6 and Q7 series are reasonably priced, but there are better TVs to buy at their price points. The Sony 900F runs rings around both of them and is easily the better buy, unless and this is a big unless having the best input lag and limited freesync is all that matters, then Samsung has some value.

That's been the issue with Samsung is that they make great TVs, but there always seems to be a better option at their price points.

Not really. The Q6 and Q7 series are reasonably priced, but there are better TVs to buy at their price points. The Sony 900F runs rings around both of them and is easily the better buy, unless and this is a big unless having the best input lag and limited freesync is all that matters, then Samsung has some value.

That's been the issue with Samsung is that they make great TVs, but there always seems to be a better option at their price points.
No not q7 and q6, just straight up 6 and 7 series. I believe currently Thatd be the nu7/6 line.

The 900f sucked because it had worse lag than the 900 e, and lacked component input.

This morning I sold a 65 inch Samsung 7 series for 800 bucks, that is good value and its picture quality is second only to sony LCD.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

I checked and the Sony AF9 has about 27ms lag, which is a bit better than the x900e, and quite a bit better than their A1E set.

Not bad at all but their 950g LCD only has 14ms, which lg oled will match this year.

Where did you get the 14ms number from? I am curious because i have the 950g and from what I have seen in reviews it's about 21ms input lag.

Where did you get the 14ms number from? I am curious because i have the 950g and from what I have seen in reviews it's about 21ms input lag.
My mistake, you are correct. For the moment 21ms is top tier, until 2019 oleds emerge.

Technically TCL has 1 4ms tv... But the quality is, well, crap.

The lower the latency, the more compromises have to be made on big panel displays to pull that off. Hence you get average image quality on ultra fast displays.

The best gaming Tv is a decent 32 inch PC monitor. They fast and they high quality image processing. Sit close enough and they big enough.

Last edited:
The lower the latency, the more compromises have to be made on big panel displays to pull that off. Hence you get average image quality on ultra fast displays.

The best gaming Tv is a decent 32 inch PC monitor. They fast and they high quality image processing. Sit close enough and they big enough.

No, tv makers continue to lower latency whilst improving image quality. I mean jeez, I have no idea what a 2007 sammy lcd had in latency, but by god it was horrible, and current lcd's basically look like a brand new tech in comparison.

Poor image quality on 1ms monitors can somewhat be attributed to the low latency, but frankly monitors are just poor in quality compared to the tv market. Monitors have garbage upscaling and look like shiiit.

I do wonder how much lower TVs can get below 14ms without sacrificing good upscaling, but frankly that is low enough... Like one frame more than CRT.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I’m pleased with the my 75” x900e. Nowhere to go from here till 75” oled’s come onto the market. Not sure what’s taking so long or what the roadmap holds.

If ok with smaller set, olds probably unbeatable.

Psykodad

Banned
This isn't true at all and perhaps you should have researched before you made this statement.

900F costs $1100, while the 8FN costs $1600

If you're going to go cheaper than the 900F, you muight as well save several $100 and go with either the Vizio P series or the TCL 6 series.
In general, Sony tv's are top of the line.
Obviously, there are always exceptions to the rule, especially when comparing a top-end Samsung to a mid-range Sony.

Anyway, I'm definitely not an expert, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Or a bucket of salt, if you will.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’ve been impressed by the SONY TVs on display at the local stores and haven’t heard any issues

Fake

But overall Sony still get better picture processing by viewing cable/youtube/netflix/4kbluray.
For gaming is a matter of opinion I guess, because input lag is a priority for gaming side besides of course HDR/4K upscalling/better sound/etc...

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I picked up a Samsung model at the suggestion of GAF on Black Friday. The upscaling is fantastic, the input lag is great and the HDR is awesome. My Switch games look beautiful upscale on it and that was a big worry for me.

However, while 120 Hrz refresh rate is good enough, sports don’t look as crisp as on those 240 hrz sets, albeit there’s not a lot of them.

It’s a good year to buy a TV. Prices are down, quality is up and there’s a lot to choose from. Anything you buy today should last you a very long time.

GenericUser

I have an LG TV and I'm quite satisfied. Low input lag and a decent picture for an good price. 10/10, would buy again.

Top Bottom