• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best TV brand for gaming?

Best TV brand for gaming?

• Total voters
Last edited:
The B8 is gimped for hdr though, last I checked. Just like 2017 oleds. Doesn't have dynamic tone mapping so the image is super dark. If you plan to only game sdr, it's not a bad choice.

Although I wouldn't buy from third party seller, I don't think newegg has the best return policy
For buying a TV, the best return policy you can get these days is Costco.
Yes, it's worth getting a Costco membership just to buy major appliances and large electronics items from them. That's how good they are in terms of treating their customers.

Traxtech

The B8 is gimped for hdr though, last I checked. Just like 2017 oleds. Doesn't have dynamic tone mapping so the image is super dark. If you plan to only game sdr, it's not a bad choice.

Although I wouldn't buy fryom third party seller, I don't think newegg has the best return policy

The 8s are good on the hdr front, I think you might have it confused with the abl issue a firmware update added which has since been fixed with a later one.

The 7 series hdr is incredibly dim and not worth your money unless you find one that hasn't been updated and super cheap

Last edited:

MacReady13

I have both an LG uhd 42 inch and a Sony x900 UHD, and the Sony picture is beautiful BUT, having had the TV for 4 months, we are getting an annoying issue where the tv will randomly go into an infinite loop of showing the "android" logo and won't turn the tv off. It needs to be unplugged, and a special way to reset the TV needs to be used to get it out of that infinite loop. Extremely annoying and because of that, has given me an extremely sour taste in regards to Sony branded TV's.
The LG, whilst being a cheaper model and not looking as good in HDR and overall picture quality, has given me zero issues and games play fine, so I'm happy to give a vote to LG. Want to get an OLED or QLED next to boost picture quality even further.

Ascend

Best TV For Gaming: LG B8 - rtings

*drops mic

Technically according to Rtings, the best TV for gaming is the Samsung Q900R, which is an 8k TV, followed by the Vizio P Quantum Series, then 3 LG OLEDs, another Vizo, then the Sony A9 (which is their OLED).
And another one confirms what I've been saying...

This sounds like cognitive dissonance to me.
LMAO yeah right. I'm not the one refusing to accept logic and the data.

So you're saying superior colors matter when it comes to oled vs. Sony fald, but not sony fald compared to a Samsung edge lit.
No that's not what I'm saying. Firstly, FALD does not necessarily give superior colors. It gives deeper blacks at the cost of having blooming issues and more expensive panels compared to edge-lit. Secondly, FALD does not solve the general issues that LCD displays have. OLED eliminates those completely.

22ish MS lag on the (current) LG oled is "slightly higher" compared to 13ms on one of the current samsungs, but 30ish MS lag on x900e is an "atrocious difference".
People feel the difference between a 120Hz monitor (8.3 ms) and a 60 Hz monitor (16.7ms). So there is a difference nonetheless, whether you think it matters or not. And even if you're not someone that is THAT sensitive, you can't look at it linearly. The higher the input lag, the easier it is to detect. It will be hard for everyone to feel the difference between 5 ms and 15 ms. But the same cannot be said for 15ms and 25ms, and definitely not for 25ms and 35ms. Because the higher it is, the more it is within the range of human capability. If someone has an average reaction of 150ms, the difference between seeing something on screen after 165ms and 180 ms is huge.
Look at it this way. That you can jump down from both 1 meter and 3 meters without breaking your legs, doesn't mean that you can jump from 5 meters without breaking your legs.

Clearly this arbitrary reasoning you're using is just meant to justify your purchase, but you don't need to do that to be happy with what you have. You're just comparing numbers while greatly exaggerating real use case impact.
Or maybe you simply don't understand. Trust me. As someone who plays fighting games, I could feel the difference of input lag between Dead or Alive 4 and Dead or Alive 5 on the Xbox 360 (same TV). Want to know the difference of input lag between them? ONE FRAME, or, 16.7ms. 20ish ms is close to one frame. 30ish ms is close to two frames. I can live with one frame of lag. 30ish ms is too much.

And no it's not placebo, because I felt it way before I ever saw that video. I can also feel the difference in input lag of DOA6 on Xbox One and DOA6 on PC... You can go try it yourself. There's a free version on all platforms. Come back and tell me you feel no difference between the consoles and PC in terms of input lag. I dare even say that between consoles and PC, this time, the input lag difference is more in the range of 2-3 frames rather than 1 frame.

I can apply sour grapes to the x900e vs. a 2017 lg oled as well ; the lcd's higher brightness meant that for hdr, you had better brightness contrast for hdr gaming, if HDR gaming was my highest priority (lol, it's not). But if I did that, that would be comparable to what you're doing here.
No it's not comparable, because all games require input to work. Slower input is a direct impact on the functioning of the game. The better the input the better it feels. Simple as that. Games do not require HDR to be a great experience nor does it interfere with its function.

Bottom line is, TV's across the board are getting very, very good and there's no need to feel like you're missing out.
Your personal spouting is tiring. I guess that's what one must do when one is out of arguments.

We're done here.

Last edited:
The 8s are good on the hdr front, I think you might have it confused with the abl issue a firmware update added which has since been fixed with a later one.

The 7 series hdr is incredibly dim and not worth your money unless you find one that hasn't been updated and super cheap
Yeah, like I said I haven't kept up with b8 news, but reading a bit it seems firmware updates have caused new issues as well,. If that shit isn't working out of the box I wouldn't bother.

Ascend Ascend youve said you were done before lol. Get a grip.

Fald gives better blacks, but the better sony panels vs. Mid tier sammys give better colors. Local dimming on medium and low cause no noticeable blooming

Also, go back and read if you want, but I never said there was no lag difference. But you're clearly using an arbitrary cut off point to justify a purchase.

Lets see if you're really done here tho lmao.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
Probably the best gaming display I ever used was a 17" flat screen CRT PC monitor...

This is back when I was using a radeon 9800xt pro to play Halo 1. My god what good gaming that was.

Yeah good quality high resolution CRT monitors are still great, especially for older games. I still have my 19 inch flat screen Dell CRT in my grandpas basement.... never know when I might wanna hook up my Dreamcast with the VGA cable (probably never).

BlackTron

Gold Member
Yeah good quality high resolution CRT monitors are still great, especially for older games. I still have my 19 inch flat screen Dell CRT in my grandpas basement.... never know when I might wanna hook up my Dreamcast with the VGA cable (probably never).

I'm jealous. I never got to try the DC VGA adapter, but before I could get an HDTV I used a VGA cable for Xbox 360. Now if only you could use a mouse with it....different thread lol.

But I agree. As great as DC was there aren't too many reasons left to fire it up. Most of its best games are available elsewhere.

Ascend

Yeah, like I said I haven't kept up with b8 news, but reading a bit it seems firmware updates have caused new issues as well,. If that shit isn't working out of the box I wouldn't bother.

Ascend Ascend youve said you were done before lol. Get a grip.

Fald gives better blacks, but the better sony panels vs. Mid tier sammys give better colors. Local dimming on medium and low cause no noticeable blooming

Also, go back and read if you want, but I never said there was no lag difference. But you're clearly using an arbitrary cut off point to justify a purchase.

Lets see if you're really done here tho lmao.
I was done with Fake, now I'm done with you too. There's no sense arguing with Sony fanboys.

Mista

Banned
I got the Sony X930E and it’s amazing. My mate got the LG B7 and it’s great too. I love Sony they’re wonderful, Samsung though I don’t have a good relationship with them

I was done with Fake, now I'm done with you too. There's no sense arguing with Sony fanboys.
Dude, you are delusional lol. Believe me, I would be more than happy to game on a 7 series Sammy, they're nice sets for the money.

In fact I was using one, and it was great. I only have the x900e because I traded someone for it, and I only payed 350 for the Sammy on clearance. I did in fact notice the extra latency, but its only a slight difference. I think the better picture/build speaks for itself.

If I didn't get a deal and trade, I would have a Samsung right now and be content. I mean there are really fanboys of tv brands now? lol

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Oh yeah Sony won another poll baby! :messenger_tongue:
Sony-logo.jpg

stuSP.jpg

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
I loved gaming on my Samsung DLP way back when lol. I have a Vizio M series few years old and I love it. Want an OLED baaaaad though. Still holding out since my TV is good.

Ascend

Trust me. As someone who plays fighting games, I could feel the difference of input lag between Dead or Alive 4 and Dead or Alive 5 on the Xbox 360 (same TV). Want to know the difference of input lag between them? ONE FRAME, or, 16.7ms. 20ish ms is close to one frame. 30ish ms is close to two frames. I can live with one frame of lag. 30ish ms is too much.

And no it's not placebo, because I felt it way before I ever saw that video. I can also feel the difference in input lag of DOA6 on Xbox One and DOA6 on PC... You can go try it yourself. There's a free version on all platforms. Come back and tell me you feel no difference between the consoles and PC in terms of input lag. I dare even say that between consoles and PC, this time, the input lag difference is more in the range of 2-3 frames rather than 1 frame.
Just to confirm what I said earlier;

Anything that is close to 30ms or higher is too much input lag, if you're a serious gamer. Generally that means;
Samsung or LG OLED > Rest

Top Bottom