• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the *best* video game character design in your opinion?

spirity

2807150950_59e2b9b5f7_z.jpg

Got to be Ghosts and Goblins, right? The lance is unmistakable.

Mista Koo

I don't like throwing terms like best, but I choose Ryu:

LgbOimX.jpg

Super simple yet awesome and iconic. Sure the other characters are more colorful and interesting but he will always be the Street Fighter.
While DK's tie is great for his design it's not very recognizable. On the other hand throw the red head band on a worm, a pink puffball or even a punching bag and the reference isn't lost.

edeo

Eh, I really dislike the modern DK compared to the brick-toothed DK of the arcade.

Megaman X by far is my favorite.

Kefka is an iconic villain.

Plenty in here I love, but because I haven't seen these cheeky fuckers mentioned yet;

cgMOlAg.jpg

The cartooney vibe, the lombax ears, and clanks's ethereally green eyes (and the heli-pack!) brilliant
EDIT: Also Dr Nefarious for that green clockwork head

spirity

Ahh, Vivi. So awesome.

It really would be a fine thing indeed if there was ever a hardcover art book that had all these characters in it, with maybe interviews from the artists. Has there been such a thing, and if not, why not?

Elvick

Banned
Terra Branford

She's perfect. I don't think Nomura's rework is quite as elegant for her human form, but I don't mind it much. And I don't think his Esper redesign looks anywhere near as amazing as Amano's vision. Looks more feral in Amano's art. Nomura didn't do justice to her Esper form at all.

*sigh* Such a shame. Would love to see FFVI fully remade, or at least see SE do some 'fanservice' CG. One of which being Terra transforming for the first time into her Esper form. <3 <3 Would love to see a game with Amano art actually represented in it's in-game graphics.

Say what you want about the game, but Boogerman is an excellently designed character. Designed like an out of shape superhero that smells like crap and farts all day. Dirty and ripped up attire and all. Looks like he came straight out of a garbage can which is perfect for the character

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Samus has already been posted, so I'm just going to put her here in her Light Suit.

3187874-samus.jpg

Annubis

Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)
- Aegis (Persona 3)
- Jehuty & Anubis (Zone of the Enders 2)

Good choices.

Vic Viper from the Gradius series.

What about ZoE2 Vic Viper? That transformation is just magical.

chara_leo_vicviper_ani.gif

Here's some others I like:

Shining Force 2 - master monks (any)
I really like the design of the Master Monks from Shining Force 2. It's even funnier to see Sarah, the bookworm cleric transform into a kickass monk.
sarahmmn.png

Valkyrie Profile - Lenneth Valkyrie
Look at those hovering shields! Why do people always forget to draw those?
VP-12.jpeg

Xenosaga 1 - Shion
I love how Shion in xenosaga 1 is completely mundane. They didn't exaggerate her design and kept it clean and simple. Since she is a 'normal' person, it fits really well.
I really loathe the fact that they sexualized her every game after.
9843dbf9458c17220a82870153f8fd7e.jpg

Tales of Vesperia - Yuri Lowell
Look how smug that guy is. He radiates self-confidence. Smuggest character ever.
Yurilowell.png

Man, tons of great designs in this thread.

My favorite will always be Alucard from SOTN.
2vcLvOx.jpg

But some others that came to mind:
Millenia from Grandia II
a7IJxkd.jpg

You might be thinking "hurr hurr, nice boobs", but I mean, she was the embodiment of a piece of the devil. Makes sense that she's a bit seductive.

Anima from FFX
tumblr_lij1wjgX571qgb1o5o1_500.jpg

While the design is fucking awesome, it's even better knowing that this Aeon is Seymour's
mother

Japanese RPGs before the men became effeminate cry babies wielding 10 foot long swords and the girls became one dimensional sex toys.

Seikendensetsu2.jpg

Ikon

Previous poster just put up a bunch of KZ characters so I'll just note that I think they're all badass but I think that the Helghast sniper design is the best of the bunch.

It took me a lot of time thinking about it, but I finally decided.

Agria the Shadowless - Tales of Xillia

It's a good thing they brought the best Chimeriad back for Tales of Xillia 2.

Possibly not my one favourite, but I had to choose, and I like Agria a lot.
Some other designs I find appealing:

Hibachi - DoDonPachi

Jill - Drill Dozer

Raspberyl - Disgaea

Patty Fleur - Tales of Vesperia

I think you may notice a trend.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution has some great character designs, but I particularly like what they did with Eliza. The flower on her head is weird, but very distinctive and it works, and the purple really makes her stand out from the rest of the game's palette, which is basically yellow.

SbMtIfy.jpg

ngs2-ryu-hayabusa.jpg

Ryu is just the epitome of bad ass. I was very surprised to see he wasn't named in the first few pages.

Zelda_and_Link-Stained_Glass.jpg

WW Link was very well done, he embodies the slightly mischievous persona I always figured child Link had.

the_old_republic_wallpaper_revan_by_zardis1965-d4rk5ji.png

Probably my favorite story in gaming, his character design is top notch.

Mass+Effect+3+Legion+2.jpg

I love practically all of the designs in Mass Effect, Legion is my favorite though.

Top Bottom