• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the *best* video game character design in your opinion?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I mean as in a single character---it doesn't have to necessarily be from one game, it can be multiple iterations of that character if you so choose, or a particular "imagining" of them for characters who have undergone significant redesigns in their lifetime.

For me it's post-arcade Donkey Kong:

PtyZefI.png

Probably one of the more timeless designs for me, a character who hasn't really undergone many changes since his original redesign for Donkey Kong Country, besides simply being upgraded a bit when it comes to the way he's modeled such as his muscles and fur, the idea to throw a tie onto him is probably one of my favorite decisions ever as that one piece of clothing is extremely iconic to me. Just with the tie, and through his facial expressions, Donkey Kong is a dude you can tell is cool and ready to go on adventures with. He's the coolest video-game character out there without even trying, and maintains his 90s sense of coolness while not feeling like a relic from the era.

So, which video-game character really "clicks" for you?

To be brutally honest...

Amaterasu

Okami_wallpaper.jpg

Everything about this character, from it being none human, right down to it's shoulders and color palette/styling, says a great deal about the game itself. It's a perfect design, regardless of it being my absolute favorite or not. Really great work.

I thought Conker (Bad Fur Day) was a nice design/send-up to all the cutesy characters of yesteryear. Pyramid Head as a character designed by someone's own sub-conscious masochism is also pretty decent, not to mention the horrifying design.

GLaDOS is a favorite design; her machine body sculpted as a woman bound and tied upside-down symbolizes her imprisonment at Aperture.

Zangief. Looks like a fighter, timeless outfit, cool name, iconic animation and tons of personality as he progressed through the generations of hardware. The gold standard of grapplers in the continuum of fighting games.

If we're just talking sheer functionality, Dragon Quest's Slime serves any purpose you could ask for. It's insanely marketable, iconic, recognizable and memorable, and does a perfect job setting the tone of the game from the start and essentially being a design base of a whole host of Dragon Quest monsters, cohesively showing a difficulty progression in the enemies you face. It's just really smart.

Not as a character overall, but just as far as appearance goes I think Squall in FFVIII was very well done. That extends to the game as a whole: awesome-looking, but flawed in character.

Rich!

It's obviously Mario. He's the single most recognizable video game character in the world. I even remember reading that he is known by more people worldwide than mickey mouse.

Theres a reason for that. His design is flawless.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's obviously Mario. He's the single most recognizable video game character in the world. I even remember reading that he is known by more people worldwide than mickey mouse.

Theres a reason for that. His design is flawless.

Mario has that timelessness, but I also think he's like Bugs Bunny and Mickey in that despite being the most recognizable of his franchise, he's not exactly "cool" because he's too safe and flawless (as time progressed, the original incarnations of those characters were a bit less sanitized) compared to the side characters.

You know, how most people seem to identify and like Daffy and Donald more, Mario's sort of like that in that given the choice of other characters, most players go with the more interesting, less standard ones like Luigi, Bowser, Wario, and Peach.

RomanceDawn

I mean as in a single character---it doesn't have to necessarily be from one game, it can be multiple iterations of that character if you so choose, or a particular "imagining" of them for characters who have undergone significant redesigns in their lifetime.

For me it's post-arcade Donkey Kong:

PtyZefI.png

Probably one of the more timeless designs for me, a character who hasn't really undergone many changes since his original redesign for Donkey Kong Country, besides simply being upgraded a bit when it comes to the way he's modeled such as his muscles and fur, the idea to throw a tie onto him is probably one of my favorite decisions ever as that one piece of clothing is extremely iconic to me. Just with the tie, and through his facial expressions, Donkey Kong is a dude you can tell is cool and ready to go on adventures with. He's the coolest video-game character out there without even trying, and maintains his 90s sense of coolness while not feeling like a relic from the era.

So, which video-game character really "clicks" for you?

Wow you read my mind. Donkey Kong's design really speaks to me, it's very simple and timeless.

I have this thing about hating overly designed characters. If everything is too cool then nothing is cool. When I look at square characters they just appear so messy to me.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I'd have to go with the Paladin from FFXIV. This guy is decked to the teeth in armor and looks unstoppable. Absolutely love the design.

Paladin XIV outfit is amazing.
Also, Auron. But i don't really count.

I really like the iconic look of the Assassins in Assassin's Creed. A simple white hood is all you need to associate someone as an Assassin.

I don't know about best but Basch from Final Fantasy XII is my favourite character design in any game.

Love the light armor over the half-open shirt, the weirdly-placed scar and his rugged looks.

I was split between Samus and Alyx Vance, but Alyx has a pretty great overall design. Samus has some things that bother me, particularly the Zero Suit (which seems to have gotten worse with every single game).

RM8

It doesn't get more simple, effective and emblematic of the industry than this, really.

Same with Chun Li, I think. The female chinese fighter became a trope because of her, but she was easily the most original charcter out of the original SF characters. It's a timeless design.

Marc

[/thread]

Yep, better than the movies which is saying something.

Also fond of...

Isaac Clarke
Altair
Master Chief
Sam Fisher (1st game)
Most of Mass Effect
French Knight dude from Dragons Dogma
Guy from Full Throttle
Spider-Man games (it counts!)
Lara Croft

Platy

Mario.
... I don't have to post a picture =P

You can just look at the sprite and understand how much life you have and what powers do you own.

Also, it always impresses me how every single thing from the original game were copied .... EXCEPT for the fact that Mario is just a regular dude. Fat, kinda ugly, moustache, everyday work clothes. It doesn't try to make you "i am awesome" because you look cool, but because of your actions in the game. And you even go "if this chubby dude can do this, I can do it too"

Top Bottom