• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the *best* video game character design in your opinion?

joe2187

Banned
6vncVSL.gif

resident-evil-revelations-chris-sailor.jpg

jem0208

Way too many awesome designs for me to choose a best design so here's a bunch of my favourites:

I love the design of the Brotherhood of Steel power armour design:

fallout3_3_lg.jpg

It's imposing and somewhat terrifying. I also really like the gas mask style helmet.

On a different note:

RaymanOrigins_009.jpg

Really well designed, the animations especially are sublime.

Garrus Vakarian:

garrus.jpg

This guy in general is just a complete boss.

Then there's always this badass:

1666544-master_chief.jpg

Actually, I changed my mind. The Chief will always be my favourite character design.

Donkey Kong had his iconic tie a little before DKC. I think he had it originally in Donkey Kong for the Game Boy. But I agree, it's simplistic but incredibly iconic. Everyone remembers DK for his tie.

GTA3.jpg

Claude from GTA3. There have been a lot of silent protagonists, but he illicit quite a bit of emotion. Maybe it was just because of the sandbox atmosphere being overwhelming, but I remember cheering for him more than any of the other GTA characters.

Possum

Some great answers in here. Really. I especially appreciate the mentions for Sir Daniel Fortesque and Ezio Auditore da Firenze (I love saying/typing his full name!)

But I've gotta say, this is my personal favorite:

Link_(SSB_3DS_%26_Wii_U).png

P90

Soejima is the best designer. But, when all is said and done and limited to only one character, the best video game character is Mario.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Vayne Solidor.
Magestic bastard (plus designed by the best in the biz, Akihiko Yoshida) -
Also Gabranth. Also most of XII's characters.

TheExodu5

Banned
Best or favorite? It's hard to argue against Mario as a choice...absolutely timeless design. I'll also agree with the Dragon Quest slime.

I'll just go ahead and interject with some of my favorites:

Chris from Suikoden 3
chris.jpg

Dark Souls 1/2 title character design:
bLRqHMl.jpg

Very few games can get the heavy knight look right. Suikoden 3 and Dark Souls do it by having designs that are both functional and iconic.

CorvoSol

I for one, love Link's design. I also really love Skyward Sword, in spite of its flaws. So Skyward Sword Link it is.

The Warrior of Light's sprite design is so iconic in the FF series that protagonists in the series have been aping it for years. Cecil, Bartz, and Cloud all share this same basic idea here. Plus all that red and black looks awesome.

I wanted to pick a female character who wasn't overly sexified and wound up picking Sharla anyway. Because Sharla is awesome. She might not be the best character in the game, and armor often makes her look stupid as heck, but Sharla was definitely one of my favorite characters in that game.

Also someone already posted Revan so here's the other KOTOR design I love:

Kreia is really understated, but her simplistic design really fits her character.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think Modern Sonic actually looks pretty good when he's hand-drawn...

KS4TOyg.png

The fact that the newer games like Generations, Lost World, and Smash 4 are using a more cartoonish style with brighter colors and such makes the design nicer looking, 2006 was on the opposite end of the spectrum with a really creepy looking "realistic" design.

Both Fire Emblem characters. I look at design as both appearance and personality.

Either the cool confident time traveler who can hold her own that hides a soft side
Lucina_official_art.jpg

Or the tragic fallen dragon prince, trapped between hatred and persecution until saved by a young boy's kindness.

Soren_%28FE10_Artwork%29.png

Top Bottom