• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the deal with Marvel and the X-Men?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read the through the Polygon report that said the X-Men are going to be gone from Marvel vs. Capcom. MvC without Magneto or Wolverine seems like insanity to me.

I feel like ever since the MCU started Disney has been doing everything in their power to shit on X-Men fans.

How does Disney benefit from hurting the X-Men brand?

It sounded to me more like they want the Marvel characters to reflect the MCU, i.e. promote the movies. They're not going to promote other studios' movies.

But if you wanna get conspiracy-minded about it: diminishing those brands could make it easier to get them back?

bigkrev

Just read the through the Polygon report that said the X-Men are going to be gone from Marvel vs. Capcom. MvC without Magneto or Wolverine seems like insanity to me.

I feel like ever since the MCU started Disney has been doing everything in their power to shit on X-Men fans.

They want to devalue the property enough so that Fox gives them a chance to get it back.
It's why the canceled the Fantastic Four comics, and why they are trying to drive fans of X-men away from the books with terrible writing.

They got Sony to play ball with them, that's why Spider-Man is back in the Marvel Universe

bronson

It doesn't hurt them, but it doesn't PROFIT them either. They'd rather promote characters they can make money off of, and a cast the size of the X-Men takes up a lot of real estate that could be used by the Inhumans.

Platy

Basicaly Marvel is pissed they lost the cinematic rights and

Marvel legally has the rights to give developers access to their entire cast of characters thanks to Activision's hold on certain franchises (the X-Men for example) expiring back in 2014. The only license Activision has left is the Spider-Man movie tie-in license, which expires next year. This isn't a matter of Marvel not being able to use X-Men & Fantastic Four characters, it's the fact that they don't want to. Marvel's been trying to minimize the exposure of the X-Men & the Fantastic Four in an attempt to lower the popularity of both properties (which would in turn screw over Fox). Within the last few years, Marvel has had a bit of a feud with 20th Century Fox over the properties they still hold the movie rights for (the X-Men & the Fantastic Four). It grew to the point where, after the release of Marvel: Contest of Champions (the mobile Injustice knock-off by Kablam), Marvel imposed a complete ban on all X-Men & Fantastic Four characters in games made after Contest of Champions. One of the first victims of the ban was Marvel Mighty Heroes, whose developer (DeNA) had this to say on the matter.

mmh.png

To clarify what this ban means....
  • As stated earlier, all new games made after Contest of Champions are not allowed to use any X-Men & Fantastic Four characters. This includes the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Cyclops, Jean Grey/Phoenix, X-23, Storm, Magneto, Super-Skrull, Sentinel, & more.
  • Games made before the ban with active contracts, like Marvel Heroes (the PC MMO), can add whoever they want until their current contracts expires (Ex: Gazillion's existing contract with Marvel expires in 2019).
  • Remasters &/or ports of older games can be re-released untouched (Ex: The Deadpool remaster for PS4 & XB1).
  • The Maximoff Twins, Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) & Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff), are only allowed on a case-by-case basis (Ex: Lego Marvel's Avengers). Only their comic book & MCU incarnations can be used in the event that Marvel allows a developer to use one or both of the Twins, & zero references to their X-Men history can be made. They've also been banned from games more times than not, but their inclusion in certain games isn't impossible.
As for the timeline on how this has affected post-CoC games...
  • Avengers Alliance 2: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Avengers Academy: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Lego Marvel's Avengers: The Maximoff Twins are present, No X-Men, No Fantastic Four
  • Marvel Mighty Heroes: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Marvel Future Fight: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
I hope this clears things up a bit.

Kaizer

Banned

Marvel/Disney aren't getting any money from any of the films associated with X-Men/Fantastic Four, so they'd rather not promote characters they can't make a buck off of.

guek

Banned

It's not to hurt the X-Men brand, it's in order to bolster their more profitable IPs. Think of it as shelf space. They make money on all of their properties but the least off of X-Men, so X-men is given less emphasis wherever possible in order to push their other characters.

ElFly

this only makes even stupider that Capcom didn't buy indefinite rights to Marvel characters. They were making the first marvel fighting games around the same time Fox and Sony were pulling a fast one on Marvel!

nicanica

To be fair the last X-men main storyline that was good by consensus was literally a decade ago.

Its been mixed to awful since.

(I'm not counting X-force, Wolvie and the X-men, etc.)

Shaanyboi

Banned
Because "why promote characters we can't fully capitalize on in every facet?"

They don't really get anything from the X-Men movies, so they don't go out of their way to acknowledge them.

this only makes even stupider that Capcom didn't buy indefinite rights to Marvel characters. They were making the first marvel fighting games around the same time Fox and Sony were pulling a fast one on Marvel!

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this whole mess start back in the 90s when Marvel filed chapter 11 and firesold all their licenses for pennies?

Slayven

The fact that Deadpool was a huge critical and financial hit probably means it's going to be a long time before they are willing to talk :(

Time is on Marvel's side, and they still got heavies like Sleepwalker and Solo in the chamber.

Fox got Xorn, and I would love a Singer Xorn

Sandfox

We live in a world where Groot banks more than Wolverine.
Fox made questionable decisions that severely hurt the merchandising power of the X-Men. Deadpool is the only one that sells stuff and nobody is going to buy a shirt with Wolverine in his movie costume.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The fact that Deadpool was a huge critical and financial hit probably means it's going to be a long time before they are willing to talk :(
Let's see how 2 turns out before we get all defeatist. Fox can fuck a movie up real good.

ElFly

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this whole mess start back in the 90s when Marvel filed chapter 11 and firesold all their licenses for pennies?

well yeah

and the xmen cota arcade game came out in 1994 (which means it must have been a deal around 1993 at least)

bryan synger's Xmen didn't come out until 2000; I think fox bought the movie rights around 1994

capcom had the chance, but, to be fair, maybe it would have appeared too expensive back then, but then again, they prolly didn't need to buy _exclusivity_ like Fox and Sony did

Fox Mulder

They're doing everything in their power to tank the property. Their hope being FOX will relinquish or want to play ball.

Marvel should at least have some input on the films if they can't get the rights back. It's the only reason people give a shit about another iteration of Spiderman from the hacks at Sony.

Fox has fucked fantastic four multiple times, is likely going to need a second reboot of the X-Men franchise soon, and lucked into deadpool being a success. Really wasted that Hugh Jackman casting when you look back too.

Disney should just buy the shit back, they've got money.

the chris

They want to devalue the property enough so that Fox gives them a chance to get it back.
It's why the canceled the Fantastic Four comics, and why they are trying to drive fans of X-men away from the books with terrible writing.

They got Sony to play ball with them, that's why Spider-Man is back in the Marvel Universe

I believe Spider-Man's licensing rights were also given back to Marvel by Sony as part of a deal, so that's another reason why even though another company owns the movie rights Spider-Man still appears on merchandise everywhere.

I can only imagine that Deadpool makes Marvel a lot of money, mainly because he appears in so much merchandise.

Slayven

I believe Spider-Man's licensing rights were also given back to Marvel by Sony as part of a deal, so that's another reason why even though another company owns the movie rights Spider-Man still appears on merchandise everywhere.

I can only imagine that Deadpool makes Marvel a lot of money, mainly because he appears in so much merchandise.

Spiderman is one of the biggest licenses in Merchdom.

Mudcrab

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but giving Marc Guggenheim and Cullen Bunn X-books to write does sound like sabotage.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The hate of FOX is strong in this thread.

Y'all going to act like The Avengers: Age of Ultron was better than X-Men: Apocalypse.

Nonsense.

It sounded to me more like they want the Marvel characters to reflect the MCU, i.e. promote the movies.

Simple as this. They are making billions off the movie universe. It sucks since people love X-Men, but it makes perfect business sense to not focus on anything not related to that universe.

Y'all going to act like The Avengers: Age of Ultron was better than X-Men: Apocalypse.

Nonsense.

Ultron wasn't very good. But, holy shit, it was a billion times better than the complete piece of shit that Apocalypse was, and I fucking love X-Men.

All I know for sure is that it's depressing as fuck. I am a huge fan of the Fantastic Four, and have been catching up on X-Men (reading Grant Morrison's New X-men Omnibus atm), and to see the current state these two teams are in is just sad.

Permanently A

For a lot of their mobile/FB games, every update and added character is about promoting something. For example Marvel Avengers Alliance 2 came out with no X-Men but GotG characters. Every update was related to the newest Marvel movie/tv show.

This time around not including X-Men is to keep the brand low to avoid promoting Fox movies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
And Fox has made X-Men movies worse than both of those.

Are we talking about Iron Man 2 ;)

Truly though, I don't get the hate. X-2 is one of my favorite films and I consider it the best among the Marvel properties with Captain America: Winter Soldier coming very close.

Fhtagn

People have been paranoid about this for years now but the biggest, best crossover in recent history ended up being as FF centric as it could be.

The push to make the Inhumans a bigger deal is likely MCU driven, but I don't buy the inverse, that they would try to kill off the xmen in spite over movie rights.

krazen

Nonsense.

Ehh, this aint the thread but its not a difficult argument to make that Fox's use of the properties vs Marvel aint even a contest. And thats not factoring the shit show that has been Fantastic Four.

Remember they had to get dragged kicking in screaming to make Deadpool; they are basically comic book movie success averse, lol.

Balphon

Marvel Studios is an increasingly large portion of the Marvel brand, and it thus makes financial sense for Marvel to emphasize the properties it can leverage in its films within cross-promotional ventures like video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom