• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the future of Sony's WWS?

Ishan

Second party. They don't even have a Wikipedia entry oddly enough.

Fair enough. Trying to predict the unpredictable is an exercise in pointlessness. Being not Japan shuts downs any predictions regardless. I will just sit back, and wait and see. As long as this E3 blows my goddamn brains out, I'm content to wallow in the dark for the time being.

It'd be really cool if Sony "Won" E3 for 2 years in a row. And not just a "General Consensus" win. I mean a win that not even fanboys and girls can deny happened. I wonder if they learned lessons about riding the hype waves from E3 '13. It's not hyperbole to say that that E3 carried momentum well up to launch. And even without all the supposed advantages, I want to see E3 come back to it's former glory, perhaps even higher than that.

*sigh* Let me dream.
Which I will, when I go to sleep.

well if youre dreaming throw in tlg

The five teams could be SSM. We know for sure they've got two full blown development teams, but there have been hints to suggest they might have three - two new IPs and one for GoW. With their ex dev they could reach five easily depending on how you split it up.

And I really hope with Sony making what sounds like an insane number of games that they're making a PS All-Stars sequel.

Thanks.

If "Most (all?)" means anything, it's anyone that's large enough to have a AAA game will also have another team doing something else. Seems like a good use of extra team members and the like (overhead? is it?).

I say studios like SCE Foster (doesn't "make" games), SCE San Diego (I'd love another Sony sports production btw), and Polyphony Digital I think the rest are all studios that most assuredly might have more than one team. I would put Sucker Punch up there because of their "We're a one game studio" deal, but that Nate Fox flub for Vita was just legendary. I think Bend and Cambridge have at least one kind of Vita project seeing as that's what they've both been doing for the longest time is portables and it'd be an utter shame to abandon all of that engine work and the like. And if I squint my eyes I can imagine Evolution having a Vita team. Seeing as how they put out Motorstorm RC and I feel like a ton of the asynchronous gameplay that we'll see in Driveclub can be traced back to that game.

Maybe. Probably not though. Japan Studios has just put out Puppeteer and Knack (Rain not included because XDEV) which totals to two. AAA JRPG team is 1. Last Guardian is another. And Team Siren (Gravity Rush) is the 5th.

I would absolutely love even a wink and a nod that SCE London isn't just sitting around twiddling their thumbs. "Game with car in it" is freaking nothing. Could be background cars for Singstar for all I know (I'm being silly, deal with it). They have hundreds of people and all we've gotten the last generation is Singstar and Wonderbook. I hope they're working on PS Home 2.0. Because I have no idea what they're doing otherwise. They certainly wouldn't have 5 teams.

EDIT : Wait just one second.
He said 5+ teams on PS4. If that includes Xdev, the 3rd party relations crew, and/or collaborations like Deep Down, then yeah, it's not that hard to believe at all or even figure out who it is (Japan Studios). But if not... What the hell?
London contains Xdev and the SCEE QA team. They are not sitting around doing nothing. I would say they probably have 5 teams easily working on PS4 stuff.

Melchiah

Sony Japan made some big missteps last gen. Namely the PS3 in general, and the issues showed in SCEJ. I can't believe they essentially contributed piss all last gen. Really only Polyphony had anything to show, and the operate separately.

We saw SCEA hit the ball out of the park in terms of 1st party games last gen, and SCEE wasn't bad either. SCEE especially made some huge grounds in the PS+ front. But SCEJ just really fucking up.

I mean, even SCEA took ever for the actual designing of the PS4.

SCEJ and Studio Japan need to reaffirm themselves this gen. They can't keep holding out for TLG, that will come out when it comes out. Gravity was a good start, now they need to show us what they are capable of on the large scale.

Man I hear this all the time but people who say that must be completely ignorant of their handheld output which has been fucking mind blowing, in my opinion. The Patapon franchise is the most creative game concept I've ever seen and has an easy spot in my top 5 favorite series of all time. Locoroco is pure joy. Gravity Rush is just something else and has almost wormed its way onto the short list of my favorite games ever. Soul Sacrifice, while not on par with those other releases, is a damn good game that has a really fantastic lore and a unique take on the hunting genre. Now SCEJ was definitely lackluster when it came to console games but people who speak ill of them in general must always be corrected.

Other than that, great post. I'm a lifelong PlayStation gamer and right now seems like the best time to be one so far.

No love for Siren: Blood Curse, which was also helmed by Keiichiro Toyama (the father of Silent Hill) & Naoko Sato like Gravity Rush. =/

Sony also tend to have partner studios working on exclusives as well. Historically Insomniac was the most notable, they may still be, but maybe not. Last gen, they had From Software, Level 5 and studios like Superbot and Lightbox. Who should Sony partner with this gen?

injurai

Banned
So I got to thinking about how long Sony's 1st party projects have been in the works. Dev times is different for everything, we have vastly been in the dark to it all as well.

I'd imagine though ND's new IP being the last one we end up seeing with TLoU just coming out and Uncharted 4 already in the works. If there are 3 SSM projects one of those is probably long off as well.

This E3 I'm expecting to see 1 SSM project, the Guerilla games new IP, MM's new game, and probably a good smattering of Vita projects from Bend

It's hard to really guess, but I'm feeling ND's projects are quite far off compared to everything else.

Sony also tend to have partner studios working on exclusives as well. Historically Insomniac was the most notable, they may still be, but maybe not. Last gen, they had From Software, Level 5 and studios like Superbot and Lightbox. Who should Sony partner with this gen?

I think Big Red Button Entertainment is a good one if they want to go after younger gamers with a Jak and Daxter style experience (although I'd prefer a new IP). I know they are already working with Sumo but I hope they someday do a kart racer with them.

Apathy

well they got Capcom doing Deep Down. I want to say they should partner with Vanillaware but they already do stuff for PS systems without having that partnership, but I would love to see what VW could do with some of the WWS muscle behind it.

What I really am excited for is the fact that the internal WWS teams share information and tools with each other through ICE. Let whatever Corrinne Yu is working on get in the hands of the people at SSM and watch the epicness unfold.

LaNaranja

They kind of fucked over a lot of partner developed games with shitty or no advertising. Superbot, Lightbox and Eat, Sleep, Play are pretty much no more. Insomniac was really fucked over with Resistance 3. That game had one of the best FPS campaigns ever in a game (my personal favorite) and the ads barely showed any gameplay, instead focusing on Kevin Butler riding a horse. :/

Shin-Ra

London contains Xdev and the SCEE QA team. They are not sitting around doing nothing. I would say they probably have 5 teams easily working on PS4 stuff.
Pretty sure XDEV and FPQA are still based in Liverpool!

I wonder if Media Molecule's merging back into one team, or with the critical acclaim Tearaway received, they'll just shift to two PS4 teams and even heavier outsourcing.

Arsenic

Can't believe people actually said Slant Six. They are one of the most consistant with making bad games.

HouseMarquee may not happen. They actually seem to enjoy making multi-platform games (OutLand)

Top Bottom