• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most epic film of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brera

Banned
So which is it?

Lords of the Rings trilogy had a sense of epicness to it that many modern films have lacked, Troy to a certain extent matched it with its dialogue in places, usually when it stuck closely with Homer but both would have been even more epic if they stuck with the timescales of their literature, both of which were set over decades rather than the few weeks the films felt.

Lawrence of Arabia is another that comes to mind, but what's the definitive epic?

Epic Movie (2007)

LtTTD.jpg

Reuenthal

Banned
For me it is definitely The Lord of the Rings trilogy. With Seven Samurai, Ran, Lawrence of Arabia following all closely.

Fritz

Just for me personally

The New World

followed by Apocalypto

New World just wins for the use of Wagner alone. It's really monumental.
Apocalypto - dunno - it just clicked somehow.

I don't think in an objective assessment they have an edge against Ben Hur and the like.

TLOR is crap imho, mind ya I loved them when they were released.

Once Upon a Time in the West = most epic Western

Star Wars trilogy = most epic space opera

and it's not a movie but: Battlestar Galactica 2003-2009 = most epic TV sci-fi

Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire is going to be a pretty huge epic story too. Hopefully one that George RR Martin finishes!

0HJKs.jpg

nuked.jpg

ArYmv.jpg

mFmFC.png

OK my serious answer is Last of the Mohicans. Amazing visuals (especially the war scenes) and music. One of Michael Mann's best films.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Lawrence of Arabia.
If you've seen it in 70mm you would most certainly agree.

It's one of my favourite movies. Not sure what's up with the 70mm remark though.

Easy one for me.

It's sense of scale and adventure remains unparalleled.

Psh, the book kicks the movies in the nuts and stomps on its head.

Like, it has different font colors for different arcs.

War and Peace

ieb0c.jpg

Wikipedia said:
In relating Tolstoy's complex tale of Napoleon's invasion of Russia, Bondarchuk made some of the most graphic battle scenes ever seen, one of which runs nearly 45 minutes. According to the Guinness Book of Records, its cast of 120,000 people is a record.[2] Many museums in the USSR contributed artifacts for the production design, making it one of the most elaborate films ever created. Some estimates put its production costs at around US$100 million, which would be equivalent to $700 million today taking inflation into account, making War and Peace the most expensive film production.[5] However, more conservative estimates put the cost at 8,165,200 rubles[1] (US$9 million)[nb 1] and US$29 million.[3][7]

Another film by Sergei Bondarchuk that is also quite impressive, although flawed, is Waterloo

Wikipedia said:
The film includes some 15,000 Soviet foot soldiers and 2,000 cavalrymen as extras ("it was said that, during its making, director Sergei Bondarchuk was in command of the seventh largest army in the world"[1].
jniWM.jpg

5ebw8.jpg

3uKQD.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Easy, easy answer, in my opinion. The original Star Wars trilogy.

QAxjs.jpg

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
It's been almost 10 years since I last saw the movie, but I remember being blown away by it. I certainly didn't think it was shitty.

I find it awful. It puts me to sleep.

I'd rather watch Metropolis over and over again. Now there's a good movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom