• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most epic film of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good that Gladiator is 100% accurate.

But in all seriousness interesting stuff, thanks for posting!

hah good point. There are many liberties taken with the real historical figures who appear in Gladiator too, but those individuals lived in AD 180 and the decades surrounding it - we only know so much, so there is no mistaking it is fantasy / fictional legend. The period of history in which Braveheart is supposedly set is a far more recent time - it has a storied and well-recorded history, which the film deliberately ignores.

It's hard for me to consider epic when I know it does so much wrong.

sflufan

Banned
hah good point. There are many liberties taken with the real historical figures who appear in Gladiator too, but those individuals lived in AD 180 and the decades surrounding it - we only know so much, so there is no mistaking it is fantasy / fictional legend. The period of history in which Braveheart is supposedly set is a far more recent time - it has a storied and well-recorded history, which the film deliberately ignores.

Yeah, but we're pretty damned sure that the Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus Augustus wasn't killed in the Colosseum by a gladiator :p

strafer

CoZdR.jpg

So good.

New World might be my favorite Malick film but I don't see how it is more epic than Thin Red Line.

Anyways LOTR for me. Particularly ROTK sense of scale was immense

The first time Gandalf and Pippen scale Minas Tirith made me say goddamn.

The LOTR films have so many amazing moments like that. So many of the structures are beyond what I could have imagined myself, the scale and detail are outstanding. Due to the EE documentaries I now know that Alan Lee and John Howe are responsible for a vital aspect of what makes this series unique. I am really glad they are also a part of the Hobbit team.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The LOTR films have so many amazing moments like that. So many of the structures are beyond what I could have imagined myself, the scale and detail are outstanding. Due to the EE documentaries I now know that Alan Lee and John Howe are responsible for a vital aspect of what makes this series unique. I am really glad they are also a part of the Hobbit team.
Mustn't forget Ted Nasmith, who Peter and co owe a lot thanks to.

http://tednasmith.narod.ru/

A lot of the scenes in the trilogy are exact duplicates of his work.

This is the most epic trailer ever released for a film. The producers didn't have the balls to go with rock music for it, I guess. The marketing wouldn't have been such a colossal failure had they used this outside the film festivals; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfq9U2tWWGo&feature=related

The DC is mesmerizing. How can there only be one good movie about the crusades? And this was just about *one* crusade. I mean all the shit that happened afterwards.. jeez.

jett

D-Member
This is the most epic trailer ever released for a film. The producers didn't have the balls to go with rock music for it, I guess. The marketing wouldn't have been such a colossal failure had they used this outside the film festivals; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfq9U2tWWGo&feature=related

The DC is mesmerizing. How can there only be one good movie about the crusades? And this was just about *one* crusade. I mean all the shit that happened afterwards.. jeez.

The trailers for the theatrical release all had rock music and painted KoH as an action movie. They were bad. Can't say I like the music choice in the trailer you posted, to be honest. :p

Besides, the theatrical cut is no good anyway.

Zebra

All of these
correct
Lawrence of the Arabia posts are getting me more excited for the theatrical rerelease. Have we gotten a date on that yet?

JoeBoy101

Great suggestions in here, though this doesn't get enough love:

o_brother.jpg

936full-o-brother,-where-art-thou%3F-screenshot.jpg

Loosely based on Homer's 'Odyssey' the movie deals with the picaresque adventures of Everett Ulysses McGill and his companions Delmar and Pete in 1930s Mississipi. Sprung from a chain gang and trying to reach Everetts home to recover the buried loot of a bank heist they are confronted by a series of strange characters. Among them sirens, a cyclops, bank robber George 'Babyface' Nelson (very annoyed by that nickname), a campaigning Governor, his opponent, a KKK lynch mob, and a blind prophet, who warns the trio that "the treasure you seek shall not be the treasure you find."

Probably not epic of all time, but largely missed when talking about epic films.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A recent contender into the pantheon of epics.

ibmfAlPlhe7gFn.jpeg

Trailer

Films dealing with the Fall of Constantinople are very rare and it's refreshing to see this period of history depicted for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom