• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most epic film of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GqueB.

Banned
Fucking gladiator. Such an amazing story to watch. When maximus took off his helmet and revealed himself to the emperor... *chills*

How so? While certainly big, I'm not sure how it wins easily.

Name another sci-fi film that more successfully communicates a sense of scale.

Movies like Star Wars don't really succeed in communicating just how big the Death Star feels through their visuals. It never really feels like something awe-inspiring.

jett

D-Member
Edmond Dantès;38950736 said:
A recent contender into the pantheon of epics.

ibmfAlPlhe7gFn.jpeg

Trailer

Films dealing with the Fall of Constantinople are very rare and it's refreshing to see this period of history depicted for once.

Speaking of under the radar epics that deal with rarely told stories, I thought Agora was pretty decent. It's about the fall of Alexandria.

Agoraposter09.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbuEhwselE0

This thing was completely swept under the rug by its studio, which is really weird because it looked expensive as fuck.

Yagharek

Avatar easily wins the most epic sci-fi in terms of scale.

Not in a world where 2001: A Space Odyssey exists.

2001 has a scale of time and space. Predating the dawn of humanity and right up to the present day with a long space voyage to boot. It lacks battles (well, excluding the Chimp scene) but it fits the bill of epic sci fi easily.

Movies like Star Wars don't really succeed in communicating just how big the Death Star feels through their visuals. It never really feels like something awe-inspiring.

I agree on the Death Star for the most part, although the opening with the Star Destroyer chasing Princess Leai's Corvette does a fine job, as does the Super Star Destroyer in the later films.

But on top of that massive battles, particularly in the prequels (yes, I know they suck, etc. etc.) definitely convey a sense of scale that is on par with Avatar in my opinion.

I thought the OP was about general epic films, Adam. Not just visual scales.

Was under the same impression.

jett

D-Member
There certainly is a lot more crap happening on screen in Avatar.

But there's a feeling hugeness in 2001 that is unmatched.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo-793283.jpg

and

mfm-aguirre-01.jpg

What makes them even more epic was the whole situation and background of the film crew and location. Kinski was a scary man.

and it's not a movie but: Battlestar Galactica 2003-2009 = most epic TV sci-fi
DS9 and B5 are more epic than BSG.
Avatar easily wins the most epic sci-fi in terms of scale.

I was talking about visual scale. :)
But you didn't specify that in your first post. 2001 is the most epic science-fiction film of all time, without a doubt. I would even argue of any movie, ever, as it manages to tell the story of humanity.

What's this? Can't stand when people don't post film titles, it's fucking condescending
Same here. If the image doesn't have the name of what you're posting, make sure you write it down there or something; that should be in the OP. That's Lord of the Rings, by the way (Argonath).

As for me...
220px-TheAvengers2012Poster.jpg

Avengers.
Saving Private Ryan is quite good, too!

Hometree falling in Avatar had no right to be that epic.

But you didn't specify that in your first post. 2001 is the most epic science-fiction film of all time, without a doubt. I would even argue of any movie, ever, as it manages to tell the story of humanity.

That is why I specified it in the second post.

Yagharek

Just on the sci fi theme ... Contact.

Really captured how limited in scale our impact on the universe was with the opening shot of our radio bubble.

And the machines they built later on were phenomenally huge.

Apart from that, the film itself is more personal in scale.

jett

D-Member
While I still consider Lawrence the best epic/historical movie in the traditional sense, now that I've been reminded about it 2001 is actually probably the film with the most incredible and most massive scope ever conceived.

DS9 is distinctly Trekky and steeped in that kind of geeky lore, but I did like its larger story arcs... B5 I'll give you, I think when it ends you really feel like you've been on an emotional journey. That's what Galactica is like, but it isn't as old so (imo) it hasn't dated as much - and maybe it's more accessible due to the lack of alien costumes and funny hair. That's why I pick it anyway.

While I still consider Lawrence the best epic/historical movie in the traditional sense, now that I've been reminded about it 2001 is actually probably the film with the most incredible and most massive scope ever conceived.

Kubrick is the man. My mind was blown like no other. I need to watch 2001 for a 2nd time.

Hometree falling in Avatar had no right to be that epic.
It's hard debating over what is more epic than something else when the word "epic" is a very loose term, but in terms of successfully communicating a sense of scale, I'd say Star Trek: First Contact does a better job of it with the Borg battle at Earth's doorstep. But I haven't seen Avatar in a while.
DS9 is distinctly Trekky and steeped in that kind of geeky lore, but I did like its larger story arcs... B5 I'll give you, I think when it ends you really feel like you've been on an emotional journey. That's what Galactica is like, but it isn't as old so (imo) it hasn't dated as much - and maybe it's more accessible due to the lack of alien costumes and funny hair. That's why I pick it anyway.
I have no idea what you mean by this, or how it precludes DS9 from being more epic. But given what you said about B5, it somehow does because of the "funny hair."

Ricky_R

I think Constantine deserves an honourable mention. Maybe it isn't an epic movie in general, but it portrays an epic satan and hell. Also, the final scene is pretty epic.

220px-Constantine-Original-Soundtrack.jpg

I have no idea what you mean by this, or how it precludes DS9 from being more epic. But given what you said about B5, it somehow does because of the "funny hair."

In terms of what an open minded person would think, I'm not saying it precludes either of those from being epic, actually - but I can imagine people assuming things of those shows due to the kind of social stigma serialised sci-fi shows have often carried. I think BSG carries that stigma too to an extent, I was posting just the other day about how hard it was to get people to watch it when it was still airing -- but I managed to get people to watch and enjoy that show who would definitely not have given DS9 a look, even if I'd have mentioned the Ron Moore link... I think the all (mostly) human character roster, battles featuring bullets and nukes, and the general style, grievous tone and occasional humour contributed a lot to that. I'd love to have something like B5 again, I caught up with it long after it aired and loved it, don't get me wrong.

It's hard debating over what is more epic than something else when the word "epic" is a very loose term, but in terms of successfully communicating a sense of scale, I'd say Star Trek: First Contact does a better job of it with the Borg battle at Earth's doorstep. But I haven't seen Avatar in a while.

You really ought to. Hometree falling is some crazy shit. The sound is also absolutely insane. DAT BASS.

mantidor

http://i.minus.com/ibmfAlPlhe7gFn.jpeg[IMG]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HoR9_VdAXc&feature=relmfu]Trailer[/url]

Films dealing with the Fall of Constantinople are very rare and it's refreshing to see this period of history depicted for once.[/QUOTE]

What language is this? for a moment all I read was "fetish" and though about making fun of the title.

[quote="Scullibundo, post: 38950834"]Name another sci-fi film that more successfully communicates a sense of scale.

Movies like Star Wars don't really succeed in communicating just how big the Death Star feels through their visuals. It never really feels like something awe-inspiring.[/QUOTE]

what? I actually was never that much into Star Wars, ok I sometimes downright hate them, but the sense of scale is pretty epic, form "thats no moon" to the x-wings approaching the star and the thing feeling like an actual planet, with a horizon and everything. The sequels, terrible as they were, showed amazing space battles. Much bigger than Avatar.

What language is this? for a moment all I read was "fetish" and though about making fun of the title.

what? I actually was never that much into Star Wars, ok I sometimes downright hate them, but the sense of scale is pretty epic, form "thats no moon" to the x-wings approaching the star and the thing feeling like an actual planet, with a horizon and everything. The sequels, terrible as they were, showed amazing space battles. Much bigger than Avatar.

My biggest problem with Star Wars is that every planet feels like a neighbourhood block, as opposed to a planet. You have a series with people whose journeys span multiple planets and it doesn't feel like a big deal at all. It feels like 'Oh, Anakin went to Mustafar? Alright, let me just finish watching my program and I'll meet him there in fifteen.'

That and the fact that there is zero diversity on each planet. It's either the city planet, the desert planet, the ice planet, the swamp planet....etc

ultron87

The second Gurran Lagann movie wins for me purely based on the absurd heights it reaches by the end. But then it is anime so such things are easier.

My biggest problem with Star Wars is that every planet feels like a neighbourhood block, as opposed to a planet. You have a series with people whose journeys span multiple planets and it doesn't feel like a big deal at all. It feels like 'Oh, Anakin went to Mustafar? Alright, let me just finish watching my program and I'll meet him there in fifteen.'

That and the fact that there is zero diversity on each planet. It's either the city planet, the desert planet, the ice planet, the swamp planet....etc

The method of FTL travel in Star Wars makes it seem like it's no big deal to jump across the galaxy as hyperspace makes distances irrelevant. In something like Avatar, where it takes months to get anywhere, it is a different experience for the characters. It doesn't make the galaxy any smaller or less epic. Just perception of it.

And wasn't Pandora just the "Forest Planet?"

The method of FTL travel in Star Wars makes it seem like it's no big deal to jump across the galaxy as hyperspace makes distances irrelevant. In something like Avatar, where it takes months to get anywhere, it is a different experience for the characters. It doesn't make the galaxy any smaller or less epic. Just perception of it.

And wasn't Pandora just the "Forest Planet?"

They actually only explored within a 20km radius of Pandora.

And that is what I mean, the perception of scale in Star Wars is less epic due to how Lucas approaches the geography.

They actually only explored within a 20km radius of Pandora.

And that is what I mean, the perception of scale in Star Wars is less epic due to how Lucas approaches the geography.

I disagree that the choice of how FTL travel works makes anything less epic, but that's a personal viewpoint obviously.

As for perception, no matter how much they've explored, Pandora still comes across as a forest planet. It isn't much more developed or different than anything in Star Wars in that regard.

Nothing really comes close to Lawrence of Arabia:

Epic can be interpreted in a lot of ways and I actually liken it more to ambitious films that span a large period of time and successfully, perfectly capture that tone/feeling. When you get done with them, it felt like a breathtaking experience. Some recent ones that fit in that category to me:

Zodiac said:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford said:

The Tree of Life said:

Feep

Banned
Actually, we've all been wrong. I can't believe I forgot about this...they made it into a movie.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Tengen-Toppa-Gurren-Lagann-Pierces-the-Heavens-in-more-ways-than-one-1.jpg

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

ibmfAlPlhe7gFn.jpeg

Trailer

Films dealing with the Fall of Constantinople are very rare and it's refreshing to see this period of history depicted for once.

Will watch, though its looking pretty tacky

In terms of what an open minded person would think, I'm not saying it precludes either of those from being epic, actually - but I can imagine people assuming things of those shows due to the kind of social stigma serialised sci-fi shows have often carried. I think BSG carries that stigma too to an extent, I was posting just the other day about how hard it was to get people to watch it when it was still airing -- but I managed to get people to watch and enjoy that show who would definitely not have given DS9 a look, even if I'd have mentioned the Ron Moore link... I think the all (mostly) human character roster, battles featuring bullets and nukes, and the general style, grievous tone and occasional humour contributed a lot to that. I'd love to have something like B5 again, I caught up with it long after it aired and loved it, don't get me wrong.
I don't think you're making a lot of sense. As I understand it, you're essentially saying it doesn't count because it isn't as approachable, and I think that's absurd.
You really ought to. Hometree falling is some crazy shit. The sound is also absolutely insane. DAT BASS.
I should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom