• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is with the movement to redefine the word "terrorism"?

Kadayi

Banned
Except that's what many people also want to believe. They want to believe that the term is basically "reserved" for brown people of the Muslim faith and not for people that look like them that they share a faith with.

Yeah the IRA, ETA and a few others besides would like a word...

Your country has amazingly allowed a million people seeking refuge from a murderous dictator who is still murdering his own citizens because they want him gone and prefer a democracy.

8ElAST8.gif

Oh you sweet sweet summer child

Last edited:

Dunki

Your country has amazingly allowed a million people seeking refuge from a murderous dictator who is still murdering his own citizens because they want him gone and prefer a democracy. The only country to join fully is Russia, but Putin doesn't give a shit about the people there, just a platform in the middle east, and those people will need time to integrate.
Effect positive change, it seems like you're just regurgitating the same stuff. Start locally, and see what happens.
Those people ran away from bashar al-wahsh (Arabic word for monster before he changed it to Assad).
So take it easy.
People who are making problems are not Syrian refugees for the most part.

Problems are Turks who are still not integrated. Also North Africans. It is also not even a new problem. We are here talking about 2nd or 3rd generation children living in Germany. We are talking about the radicalization of the youth through mosques teaching radical believes. We are talking about people who pretended to by Syrians and which we can not deport at all because of missing papers etc. Again new Syrians who fled from war are not the problem in Countries like Germany or France.

Cleared_Hot

Bombs cause terror. Therefore, the person setting them up is a terrorist.

We see this time and time again where law enforcement and media outlets are reluctant to use the "T' word when it comes to white suspects.

I feel like you ignored every post before your own and still don't know the definition of terrorism. In fact, what you said was pretty dumb. We can all agree that bombs cause extreme fear among the victims. But if it is done without any political/idealogical motive, it is not an act of terrorism. It is simply a horiffic act of violence. To buy into that ridiculous extreme liberal notion that there's some big white supremacist conspiracy to only call Muslims terrorists is pathetic to say the least. If murder my next door neighbor just because I'm fucked in the head, that would cause TERROR in my neighborhood. That doesn't make me a fucking terrorist. It just makes me a murderer. If I murder my neighbor shouting alahu Akbar and tell the police I did it because I want the military to leave the middle East, then yes, I am a fucking terrorist.

Cleared_Hot

If he screams "Allahu Akbar" before/during/after then sure. Just like if a bible thumper screams "Praise JEBUS!" before/during/after would be labeled a Christian terrorist. I mean sure some people will probably call a vaguely Arab looking man walking down the street a Terrorist no matter what he does, doesn't mean he is one. We don't tend to follow the definitions of the intellectually challenged.

I disagree. Just yelling God is great is not all you need to be called a terrorist. If you kill somebody and right before you yell Jesus christ!!! No, that's not enough for anyone to say oh he was a Christian terrorist. They'd know you were a Christian who murdered somebody but that's about it.

Dunki

I disagree. Just yelling God is great is not all you need to be called a terrorist. If you kill somebody and right before you yell Jesus christ!!! No, that's not enough for anyone to say oh he was a Christian terrorist. They'd know you were a Christian who murdered somebody but that's about it.
either you are a troll if you shouting something like that before you murder a lot of people or it is a statement you believe in. And at this point allah akubar is the symbol of Islamic terrorism. If you shout Heil hitler before it is also statement you make.

way more

More like if a known Christian attacked a Mosque and yelled "In the name of Jesus!"

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

More like if a known Christian attacked a Mosque and yelled "In the name of Jesus!"
Yes that would be far more indicative of his motives.
either you are a troll if you shouting something like that before you murder a lot of people or it is a statement you believe in. And at this point allah akubar is the symbol of Islamic terrorism. If you shout Heil hitler before it is also statement you make.
I'm not a troll and just because terrorist shout the exact same thing that a billion other Muslims like to say does not mean that if of them say it before something makes it an act of terrorism. You have to realize 1. They say that in the middle East as much as teen age girls in America say OMG! 2. Just because somebody shouts it and kills somebody doesn't automatically link them to terrorism/any terrorist organization. You don't shout ISIS kill people and expect everyone to automatically assume you're actually with ISIS. You guys want to assume that officials are lazy as fuck and don't put much thought into this stuff before labeling it terrorism or not. And they're welllll aware that a bunch of over sensitive snowflakes are going to make a big deal Everytime a Muslim does something crazy and gets labeled a terrorist immediately so they have to make sure they get it right. Sad part is, in the case of Muslims that try to kill a lot of people they almost ALWAYS are terrorists annnd there's a lot of fucked up murderers in America (not muslim) that just want to kill people without an idealogical/political motive. If that offends you than oh well, it's just the facts.

Moneal

Yes that would be far more indicative of his motives.

I'm not a troll and just because terrorist shout the exact same thing that a billion other Muslims like to say does not mean that if of them say it before something makes it an act of terrorism. You have to realize 1. They say that in the middle East as much as teen age girls in America say OMG! 2. Just because somebody shouts it and kills somebody doesn't automatically link them to terrorism/any terrorist organization. You don't shout ISIS kill people and expect everyone to automatically assume you're actually with ISIS. You guys want to assume that officials are lazy as fuck and don't put much thought into this stuff before labeling it terrorism or not. And they're welllll aware that a bunch of over sensitive snowflakes are going to make a big deal Everytime a Muslim does something crazy and gets labeled a terrorist immediately so they have to make sure they get it right. Sad part is, in the case of Muslims that try to kill a lot of people they almost ALWAYS are terrorists annnd there's a lot of fucked up murderers in America (not muslim) that just want to kill people without an idealogical/political motive. If that offends you than oh well, it's just the facts.

Dunki wasn't calling you a troll, he was saying the person shouting something they didn't believe in before shooting was a troll.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
That's not right, your comparison is utter bollocks. Allah Akbar is uttered before prayer, so weigh your words bud.
Unfortunately, cowardly actions taken by weak-minded individuals in modern times has changed that perception, whether you like it or not.

If I am sitting on a public bus and another passenger proclaims ”ALLAHU AKBAR!”, I am not going to smile to myself and think “oh, that’s nice, someone is saying a prayer”. No, the likely reality is I will tense up and get ready to defend myself.

If you think you would react any differently in that situation, well, I’d call you a liar.

That is the world we live in now and it is terrible.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
If you think you would react any differently in that situation, well, I’d call you a liar.

I think it’s more likely that they’ve just spent time around Muslims. Because it’s really not that weird/scary to hear if you have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I think it’s more likely that they’ve just spent time around Muslims. Because it’s really not that weird/scary to hear if you have.
If you are inferring that I haven’t, that is a false assumption. One of the most recognised muslims in my country is a friend and used to regularly come to my house for lunches, dinners and to simply hang out. Spent time with plenty of others too.

You are ignoring context. The situation I described, if it happened in a muslim majority country, you wouldn’t bat an eyelid. Likewise, my aforementioned friend saying it quite regularly (albeit in English) whilst at my house in a positive, contextual manner, was normal and didn’t bother me at all. If someone bought a lottery ticket at a shop and won $100 and happily exclaimed “alluhah akbar”, I’d take it for what it is and not be in fear. But, someone uttering it, in a public place like a bus, in a western country, unfortunately gives me a different feeling. This is just the way it is because of the despicable actions of a few sick individuals.

It’s all about context, obviously.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
If you are inferring that I haven’t, that is a false assumption. One of the most recognised muslims in my country is a friend and used to regularly come to my house for lunches, dinners and to simply hang out. Spent time with plenty of others too.

You are ignoring context. The situation I described, if it happened in a muslim majority country, you wouldn’t bat an eyelid. Likewise, my aforementioned friend saying it quite regularly (albeit in English) whilst at my house in a positive, contextual manner, was normal and didn’t bother me at all. If someone bought a lottery ticket at a shop and won $100 and happily exclaimed “alluhah akbar”, I’d take it for what it is and not be in fear. But, someone uttering it, in a public place like a bus, in a western country, unfortunately gives me a different feeling. This is just the way it is because of the despicable actions of a few sick individuals.

It’s all about context, obviously.

You’re the one calling people liars ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was just offering a counterpoint based on my own experience.

I’m also not really sure how you differentiate between your proposed lottery ticket scenario vs. a “public place like a bus”. The only context I might be nervous if someone shouted it in a public place, but that would be less about the words and more about the inappropriate and sudden shouting making me jump.

Anyway, I’m sorry you feel that way and hope that one day those words spoken in public make you less nervous. Just know it’s hardly universal one way or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m also not really sure how you differentiate between your proposed lottery ticket scenario vs. a “public place like a bus”. The only context I might be nervous if someone shouted it in a public place, but that would be less about the words and more about the inappropriate and sudden shouting making me jump.
Context.

stream_img.jpg

Because praising God after winning money is not a strange or abnormal thing to do. As far as I am aware, no one has yet to go on a murderous rampage in the name of God after winning on a lottery ticket.

But they have blown up buses in that fashion.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Context.

stream_img.jpg

Because praising God after winning money is not a strange or abnormal thing to do. As far as I am aware, no one has yet to go on a murderous rampage in the name of God after winning on a lottery ticket.

But they have blown up buses in that fashion.

I’m well aware of the context.

Allahu Akbar translates directly as “Allah is Greater”, unfortunately it is often mistranslated in the media as “God is great”. It literally means that their religion and beliefs are superior to other people. Please explain to me how that's a message of peace and tolerance?

And yes, I'm aware that for millions of Muslims it's merely an expression of faith, but it doesn't change the fact that it's by definition a supremacist message. I don't see how reminding yourself, multiple times each and every day, of being better than others for merely believing in Allah, is in any way conducive to cultivating a multicultural and diverse mindset.

It's akin to white racists claiming that their skin and/or christian beliefs are superior. It's f*cking despicable, is what it is.

JDB

Banned
Allahu Akbar translates directly as “Allah is Greater”, unfortunately it is often mistranslated in the media as “God is great”. It literally means that their religion and beliefs are superior to other people. Please explain to me how that's a message of peace and tolerance?

And yes, I'm aware that for millions of Muslims it's merely an expression of faith, but it doesn't change the fact that it's by definition a supremacist message. I don't see how reminding yourself, multiple times each and every day, of being better than others for merely believing in Allah, is in any way conducive to cultivating a multicultural and diverse mindset.

It's akin to white racists claiming that their skin and/or christian beliefs are superior. It's f*cking despicable, is what it is.
Isn't it just saying that God is above everything else? 'Allah is greater' or 'Allah is greatest'. Seems pretty standard for any religion.

Jon Neu

Banned
Every brown or Arab looking person is most of the time looked at suspiciously and on some occasions insulted, rare occasions attacked.
South London had 22 people almost kill a 17 year old refugee, and the amount of abuse and intolerance that's not reported is astounding, I've never reported an incident because (quoting a black friend who lives in South Tottenham) " racism is not gonna pay my rent". If a poor soul who happens to be Muslim is pushed beyond the line and acts out and gets shot, you know he'll be called a terrorist. Isis will claim it also.
Feel bad for and respect Sikhs as they get some of that aimed at muslims, and are always cool.

I'm sure that refugee was attacked for a reason that has nothing to do with the fact that he is arab, but with the fact that he did something horrible.

Because if we want to tell stories about islamists in London, we can tell a lot of terrifying ones that are silenced by the mainstream media in fear of being "islamophobic".

Top Bottom