• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite video game of all time?

3hjVWHP.jpg

Mushihimesama Futari.

It's not the best shooting game or even the best video game, it's simply the best game, period. I'm sure there hasn't been a sequel because Cave perfected the Mushi concept with Futari.

#2 and #3 would be Ninja Gaiden II (360) and Super Street Fighter II Turbo. From there it gets a little fuzzy...

Ashler

I need to cop out here a bit, its impossible to choose only one:

Metroid Prime
Zelda - Ocarina of time
Dark Souls

I like these 3 equally, and are by far the best games I have ever played.

16-bit: A Link to the past, Mario Kart

32-bit: Wipeout or Resident Evil.. hmm or FF8

128-bit: Resident Evil 4

Ummm, how many bits was Cell again: Uncharted 2

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
If I have to choose one, I usually default to Super Mario World. But there are way too many legitimate choices for that to be set in stone.

If I had to narrow it down to 1 I pick Chrono Trigger. That game is perfection.

I have some of these fav picks in my backlog. (chrono cross, persona 3 and 4) Need to get off my lazy ass and play them. This thread helps for that.

Tu101uk

X-COM_-_UFO_Defense_Coverart.png

Hands down my absolute favourite game of all time. The original X-COM had it all methinks, and I constantly replay it.

Honourable mentions to Civilization as my favourite gaming series (as opposed to singular game), Grandia 1 as my favourite JRPG and Final Fantasy IX as my favourite FF game.

Durante

art-022jhso1.jpg

It has some faults (let's be honest, it has a lot of faults), but it's still my favourite by far. No other game made me care about its characters like PST did.

Mario 64. I think if it released today, I'd appreciate the pure platforming of the Galaxy games more, but I can't divorce myself from the way it made me feel when it first came out and what a revelation it was.

RdN

Halo 2.

The pre release , the awesome game play and the dozens of friends I made on X box Live cannot be compared to anything else.

Nakayumi

Some great and interesting choices here. I got interested in Buldur's Gate II now, do I need to play the first one in order to enjoy the second?

Anyway, deciding on an absolute number one is pretty difficult. Recent years have lead me to believe the best might be yet to come. And games like Dark Souls and Mario Galaxy 2 stand high among my favorite games so far. Nevertheless, a special place is reserved for two games that truly got me into gaming, the first being Super Mario World. This was my first dip into a wide platforming world that had so much color, variety, levels and fun bosses that it kept me playing for hours and hours.

After some thinking, however, I would consider The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past to be my absolute favorite.

44121-The_Legend_Of_Zelda_-_A_Link_To_The_Past_(E)(Cezar)-4-thumb.png

The rainy opening is so beautiful it still gives me the chills. And while I could name the Zelda series as a whole, as Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are all magnificent in their own right, this one right here is gaming perfection for me. It's the game that kept on giving. Entering the Dark World for the first time blew my mind when I was a kid, and the amount of items, fun dungeons and great music sucked me into gaming and made it into the passion I have for it today. I'm looking forward to replaying it again somewhere this year.

Robso

UNCHARTED3TGLCOMP.jpg

Not many would agree here I don't think. However, I totally loved it. Best in the series for me and my favourite game of all time.

ranmafan

Final Fantasy VI. No matter what new game comes around, what amazing new experiences or improvements that appear, it is still this game that tops my list of being my favorite game, and one of my favorite stories of all time. It came out just at the right time of my life to fully captivate me both in its gameplay and its story. The characters, the world, the music, the gameplay, when all mixed together is just a perfect mix for me. The first time I played it was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had, and every time I replay it it still sets off those great emotions as it did the first time.

The game also did so much to really set in stone forever my interest in gaming. I always loved games, but FFVI made it an even bigger. And it was part of many things that got me really interested in Japan. I doubt I would be living here in Japan now if i hadnt play that game. While I have so many games that fit in he second spot, Final Fantasy VI is special to me. More than just my favorite game, but one of my favorite things period.

daninthemix

I'm one of these people who can't answer it, because so many games have given so many different and extraordinary experiences at different times of my life.

I remember the menace and the darkness of Super Metroid when I played it one Friday night when my parents had gone away.

I remember the loneliness of Tomb Raider's endless caverns.

I remember the madness and pain-inducing laughter caused by 4-player Goldeneye and Bomberman 2 sessions.

I remember the eye-opening freedom of Oblivion.

I remember playing through almost the whole of Landstalker to find it ingeniously brings you right back to the start, to the very first cavern where you're being chased by a boulder, a boulder you can now walk across to finally enter the final area.

I remember the beauty, the music and the joyous sense of exploration of Secret of Mana.

The camaraderie of many modern-day FPS's, and even more so in the amazing co-op campaigns of games like Gears 1.

Speaking of which...descending from a dark, rainy night into the locust warrens, and "all that juice".

The heart-warming kindness of Fable 2, which for once isn't interested in behaving like a strict schoolmaster, but instead just wants you to experience its world without fear of failure.

No. Too many memories. I can't pick only one. Sorry!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
If we're allowed to include online multiplayer, it's tied between:

iRacing
Ridge Racer 7
Skate 2

If we're talking singleplayer no online, then tied between:

Grand Prix Legends
RE5: The Mercenaries Mode
Chrono Trigger

crayman

Thief: The Dark Project / Thief: Gold

KndB6Do.jpg

Was one of those formative experiences that will never be equalled. Is one of the few games that I can safely say I am an expert at. Thief 2 is also very good, but the original just beats it on account of superior story and tone.

Impossible to choose only one.

Seiken Densetsu 1
Mystic_Quest_2.jpg

Resident Evil 1 / REmake
(I love coming home to my mansion once in a while..)
resident-evil-remake.jpg

Super Metroid
title.png

Honorable mentions:

9722f1db922bd9fd.jpg

starcraft.jpg

Kouichi

It's between on of the three Smash Bros. To this day, I've never been able to choose one since there's something about each iteration that I like that the others don''t have. 64 has the best 4 player, very high items, chaotic fun, Melee has the best 1v1 tourny-level competitive fights, and Brawl has the best overall package and roster.

All three games are simply amazing and I can confidently say I've put over 1500 hours of my life into the series.

I don't think I could ever choose one.

Mega Man 2, Mega Man 9, Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Symphony of the Night, Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Tomb Raider 1 and 2, Metroid Prime, Final Fantasy 6 - they're all up there.

Edit: Oh man, forgot about the Souls games and Tetris...

Top Bottom