• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

Ascheroth

Trails of Cold Steel 1 it is for me, will probably keep me busy until the end of the month.
Thank Aidias for Turbo mode.

After that will likely be Ys VII.
Followed by Zwei II.

Opa-Pa

Beat Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, which... Isn't as good as I remember but still quite good. The last stretch though, from Neverland onwards was quite great (annoying padding in End of The World aside), Hollow Bastion in particular.

Now I'm playing KH2 FM for the first time, and I went for Critical Mode this time as everyone hypes it as the definitive way to play it and I remember vanilla being annoyingly button mashy and... I'm having mixed feelings.

When it does work, Critical Mode is definitely super satisfying and fun, but I feel like the damage you take and the HP you have is far too much of a penalty and leads to annoying stuff like getting one shot by bosses. I don't mind the idea of not having more than 3 or 4 hits before a game over, but getting randomly killed by bosses is terrible and the inconsistent checkpoints don't help.

I think I can beat this, I already made it to Endless River, but I fear it'll make for a sour experience overall and I imagine super bosses will be painful. I really hope you can somewhat negate these issues with good equipment.

(I would post this in the 1.5 + 2.5 OT instead but it's sadly kinda dead :()

Knurek

Trails of Cold Steel 1 it is for me, will probably keep me busy until the end of the month.
Thank Aidias for Turbo mode.

Followed by Zwei II.

We will never have another year like 2017, when it comes to Falcom games on PC.
(especially if you allow Xanadu Next)

Thud

Thank Aidios for Turbo mode.

Followed by Zwei II.

Falcom punch.

Bonus points if you read it in captain falcon's voice.

desmax

Beat Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, which... Isn't as good as I remember but still quite good. The last stretch though, from Neverland onwards was quite great (annoying padding in End of The World aside), Hollow Bastion in particular.

Now I'm playing KH2 FM for the first time, and I went for Critical Mode this time as everyone hypes it as the definitive way to play it and I remember vanilla being annoyingly button mashy and... I'm having mixed feelings.

When it does work, Critical Mode is definitely super satisfying and fun, but I feel like the damage you take and the HP you have is far too much of a penalty and leads to annoying stuff like getting one shot by bosses. I don't mind the idea of not having more than 3 or 4 hits before a game over, but getting randomly killed by bosses is terrible and the inconsistent checkpoints don't help.

I think I can beat this, I already made it to Endless River, but I fear it'll make for a sour experience overall and I imagine super bosses will be painful. I really hope you can somewhat negate these issues with good equipment.

(I would post this in the 1.5 + 2.5 OT instead but it's sadly kinda dead :()

Eventually you'll get Second Chance and Once More, that allow you to keep 1 hp if an attack would kill you

Ascheroth

We will never have another year like 2017, when it comes to Falcom games on PC.
(especially if you allow Xanadu Next)
Xanadu Next
Trails in the Sky the 3rd
Trails of Cold Steel
Ys VII
Ys VIII
Zwei II
Tokyo Xanadu
(Trails of Cold Steel 2, probably early next year)

It's indeed insanity. Year of the Falcom.

Dragon Quest VII for 3DS. I'm having a good time.

My commute got super long so I dug up my 3DS after a long while of not using it.
Man does a portable come in clutch during the soulless commute.

I should get a Switch.

saturnine

I'm currently playing FFXII. The PS1 trilogy made me a squaresoft fan back in the day but I never got a PS2, which led me to skipping both X and XII when they released. I'm kinda glad I did in retrospect, because damn these games are flawed.

Often you will hear how a specific game can be better than the sum of its parts. XII is mesmerizing in how it manages to achieve the exact opposite : each of its component elements are quite good in a vacuum, but absolutely fail to actually gel into a cohesive whole.

I think I'm close to the end of the story, so I'll reserve my full judgement for now, but I don't see the game changing my mind much.

Tales of Ray. Playing it only because a friend of mine is playing it too.

You can probably finish the game on normal difficulty easily without using the gatcha system, but it's not fun.

VA is mostly gone after the first chapter, combat is tedious with difficulty spike against bosses which can be mitigated just by using mystic artes. Dungeons? They are all the same but the different paints.

The hook is clearly on collecting your favourite characters and artes from the series, which means you will have to dabble in the gatcha system, and it is as horrible as any other mobile game.

Decided to call it quits for Trails of Cold Steel, just wasn't feeling it at all about about 15 hours, but I started up I Am Setsuna last night. I'm pretty sure I didn't even get 5 hours into t yet, but it feels like I've already blazed through so much of it. I looked at the walkthrough outline on IGN and the part I just reached is the 5th out of 10 sections lol. Does each part get longer from here on out or is this game barely 10 hours long?

mrmickfran

The whole Kingdom Hearts series for the first time.

- Kingdom Hearts was pretty good, but it definitely felt like a relic of its time. That game had heart though, no pun intended. And good GOD did it take forever for Sora to feel good to control.

- Chain of Memories was basura though. Skipped it and watched a summary on YouTube. Something about the Re: version just feels... soulless? Cause I liked what I played of the GBA version when I was a kid.

- Kingdom Hearts II was amazing though. After that terrible, terrible opening, I really saw why people love it so much. Sora feels amazing to control. And don't get me started on end game Sora, he's practically a God. Just blazed through it in a few days, something I haven't done in a while for a game, cause it was just that good and I couldn't stop playing.

Currently getting slaughtered by the Data Organization XIII members, but I'll most likely take a break before I jump to the next game.

69wpm

Started I am Setsuna a few days ago and got totally hooked. Love the game so far and it’s very enjoyable in portable mode. Love the piano music, especially with headphones.

kromeo

This final dungeon in Tales of Graces might be the most tedious thing I've ever seen in a game, not sure I can be bothered with the future arc after this nonsense

ohlawd

This final dungeon in Tales of Graces might be the most tedious thing I've ever seen in a game, not sure I can be bothered with the future arc after this nonsense

the whole game sucks, I think you can suffer another 10 hours or less with Lineage and Legacies.

Gurnlei

FFX-2. Shame on younger me for not giving it a try because of the all female cast.

Not as good as X story wise (it feels like a fan-made sequel) but really liking the combat.

Opa-Pa

After being done with KH2FM I started Birth By Sleep Final Mix and it's pretty great! I started on Critical Mode again since I can't go back anymore, and it's been way easier than KH2 so far but still good. The game is weird as hell in some of the systems (it's like the "darkest" KH game but the sticker album and the command board are a thing lmao) and it has so many new stuff that it's ridiculously overwhelming at first, almost to a fault... But I got a grasp of everything now and I love it.

The combat feels like a cool combination of the best of KH1, 2 and CoM, and leveling up and melding commands is crazy addictive, not to mention Critical gives you a lot of freedom from the get go and it's very fun to just experiment with new stuff.

Story is fairly nice too. I'm still playing as Terra but he feels like a less stupid Riku and I can actually feel sympathy for him lol.

My only complaint would be that its portable roots show in how much simpler and barren worlds are. But combat is good enough to make them worth it either way.

Eventually you'll get Second Chance and Once More, that allow you to keep 1 hp if an attack would kill you

Once More came in handy but sadly, because I chose sword, I only got Second Chance at level 49 (literally right before the final boss lmao). But either way, a bit later when I started getting more equipment slots for defense and more HP, the game became very manageable and overall it's indeed the ideal way to play it in my eyes.

It was an absolute joy all the way through, what a game!

- Chain of Memories was basura though. Skipped it and watched a summary on YouTube. Something about the Re: version just feels... soulless? Cause I liked what I played of the GBA version when I was a kid.

Re:CoM sounds ideal on paper, but once you try it it's a fairly dull experience, yeah... Mostly because it's essentially 80% a rehash of KH1 and the rest is new (story, mostly) content, but it was all rather novel in the original because obviously on GBA the game looked and sounded completely different, and having a portable KH was cool as hell. Here in the remake the game looks exactly like KH1 except everything is restricted, especially the combat, and in the original this was only the case because of the limitations of the GBA, but here it's simply a shittier KH1 with added story bits lol.

kubricks

Nier Automata all routes done, so satisfying!

Manage to get Tales of Destiny Director's cut to work, it's amazing to play 2D combo based combat again. It's so addictive! I even prefer it to Tales of destiny 2 which is my favourite tales combat system for a very long time.

hqdefault.jpg

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I finally started replaying the .hack series last week an finished up Infection tonight. Well the story part. Still gonna do post-game extra stuff before moving to the next one.

Szadek

Got platinum trophy for FF12 TZA.
Awesome game. The last fight if Trail Mode is probably my favorite boss fight in the entire series.

I also gave FFXV another shot, but I don't think I will play much longer.
It's just boring and the game hasn't given me a single reason to care about the story or characters.

Guess I should just to get back to playing more SMT3. I only played a few hours, but it was pretty good so far.

theofficefan99

Just finished Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD remaster. Didn't get to do some optional stuff in X-2 nor did I get the Good Ending. Finishing up Tales of Zestiria, then I'll finish up XII: TZA, then replay X-2. I love all of these games.

FFX's writing isn't as good as I remember but I still loved the story. I just feel like it was on fast-forward during some of the middle portions of the story causing it to not work. Also there still being no option to skip cutscenes bugs me; gave me anxiety during every boss fight. Overall still an amazing game.

And X-2 was also super fun and I didn't mind the more light-hearted story that also wasn't very well-written. I love Yuna's personality in both games.

XII is wonderful.

And Tales of Zestiria is great too IMO. The voice acting and dialogue are seriously fucking awful beyond belief, but some characters are still charming, I love the art direction and character designs, music is phenomenal, visuals are great, and gameplay is really fun IMO.

Was about to play Persona 5 before thankfully finding that thread on how horrifically homophobic it is. Dodged that bullet... I don't need more of that in my life.

On to FF XII Zodiac Age instead!

watershed

Banned
The last JRPG I played was I Am Setsuna on the Switch. I'm literally 2 dungeons away from beating the game but I've lost all motivation to finish it. I think I like the game more than most, based on threads I've read on gaf, but the game has lost it's charm for me. I don't think I'll ever finish it which is pretty rare for me.

EricB

Decided to try out Ys Origin on Vita (having already played it once on Steam) and ended up playing all the way through the game again. Then thought I'd finally dig into Zelda on my Switch, but got into Undertale on Vita instead. I'm about half way through that, but since I had more free time than usual this weekend I ended up playing a bit more of Trails in the Sky 3rd. I picked up a Windows tablet while I was back in the U.S. just to play the game on my commute and I finally got it working halfway decently. Think I'll finish up Undertale and then delve into 3rd.

Zelda just never seems to work out. I find it painfully tedious and—despite generally being a fan of Zelda games, especially the 2d ones—I'm a bit surprised it has been received so positively. I'm sure I'll come around somewhat once I finally put some time into it, but it is definitely one of my biggest disappointments in recent memory.

RalchAC

Was about to play Persona 5 before thankfully finding that thread on how horrifically homophobic it is. Dodged that bullet... I don't need more of that in my life.

On to FF XII Zodiac Age instead!

It's just a couple of scenes that are basically "lol gay people, run!". And in a dialogue during the first time you work for a certain bar, there is an option that you'd consider offensive.

They're not constantly beating the dead horse, if that's what worries you. Still, I get your point and I'm not trying to sell you a game with scenes you're totally going to consider offensive.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The last JRPG I played was I Am Setsuna on the Switch. I'm literally 2 dungeons away from beating the game but I've lost all motivation to finish it. I think I like the game more than most, based on threads I've read on gaf, but the game has lost it's charm for me. I don't think I'll ever finish it which is pretty rare for me.

Yeah, the last few dungeons greatly overstay their welcome, and they don't have much in the way of save points. Probably the biggest issue I had with the game... if you do ever decide to stick with it - the final fight is cool as well as a few of the sidequests you can do once reaching the final save point.

pbayne

Played chapters 8 -12 of FF15. Wow, it is just the worst. The gameplay, plot and character motivations/emotions have just fallen off a cliff and it wasn't starting from a particularly great point tbh.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I bought Air's Adventure at a flea market for $2.50 the other day. It's an import Saturn RPG and is supposed to be one of the worst ever... I can't wait!!

Played chapters 8 -12 of FF15. Wow, it is just the worst. The gameplay, plot and character motivations/emotions have just fallen off a cliff and it wasn't starting from a particularly great point tbh.
Yup, FFXV is a bad game. Square are lucky they released it last year rather than this year considering all the great JRPGs and Japanese Open World games we've had this year. It would not have held up well in comparison.

FRS1987

Persona 2 Innocent Sin. My opinion on it has changed significantly from the beginning of the game to now, the end of the game. At the final areas of it the game right now and it was difficult in the beginning to get used to tarot cards mechanics. I still feel like the tarot cards are a downgrade from Persona 1 but Persona 2 improved on everything else tenfold, including battles. Going to play Eternal Punishment when i'm done. The Persona 2 combo are the 2 games I have yet to complete.

RDreamer

Finished DQ7 not terribly long ago, so I moved right on to DQ8 on 3DS and I'm loving it so far. I had played a bit back on PS2 when it first came out but it didn't grasp me as much then and I got distracted by something else. This time I can't sop playing.

Also funny is that I thought DQ7 was kind of a slog but despite that I did like it and also despite that I literally bought every DQ 3DS in the last two weeks in order to play through them all.

jb1234

Finished Trails in the Sky: The 3rd a couple of days ago and jumped right into Cold Steel. I'm also playing DQ7 off and on (but not terribly motivated since I had finished the original version 16 years ago already).

Labadal

Adventures of Mana.

I'm currently at lever 30+ and have been using the morningstar for the last two bosses. The last boss I fought and defeated was
The Dark Lord
. I don't know how much I have left, but it felt like a "you're at the halfway point" moment for me.

Ys seven beaten. Really enjoyed it.

High expectatives for YsVIII.

Debating if I should finally replay Paper Mario Thousand Years Door or try to start games in my backlog.

I just started Trails SC after putting it off for the longest time.

I don't remember anything about what happened in FC expect that
emo guy left.

Odin Sphere Leifraiser... or however it's spelled. Made it to the second story which is almost to where I stopped the PS3 re-release. Great game but finding myself wanting to move on to other titles already given the story nature of it going from one arc to the next. Feels like I beat a whole game but clearly have a lot to go.

Might pick up Grandia 2 on PC again to get my traditional JRPG fix.

Playing FFVII on PS4. The 3x speed and no encounters features are a god send.

Alternating between that and Dark Cloud 2. It's so good and it reminds me how badly I want Dark Cloud 3. Come on Sony make it happen.

Top Bottom