• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

Justinh

I'm about 34 hours into Dragon Quest VII.

I just started playing the series fairly recently after beating the first game on NES and I think I want to try and beat them all before XI comes west. I'm not sure what I'm going to playthrough next. I either want to start with IV and go from there to V and VI, or play Dragon Warrior II and then III on NES so I can move on from the really old games and not have to go back to them after playing the newer games (I think I made a mistake jumping to VII so "early"). Playing these games really makes me want to play Blue Dragon again too. I think it's the Toriyama art.

Dragon Quest VII part
Oh boy! I hated the Alltrades Abbey part.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Persona 5. I played a little of P4G a couple years back but never played more than a few hours (not a fault of the game). Only recently got around to having the time for a new game so gave Persona 5 a shot.

I'm only about 5 hours in but really enjoying it. I know that's pretty much the tutorial and the game hasn't got started yet. In fact I last played just as the game gives you freedom to do what you want after school. Honestly, I'm a bit overwhelmed right now. Still not 100% on the combat but what is worrying me is the planning and time management for doing the first palace. I'm gonna jump right back in after I'm done with Uncharted and see how it goes.

I really hope I can settle into the game because I will be super disappointed to stop playing. I'm enjoying the characters and story so far.

Print_Dog

Playing thru FFXV for the first time. Really enjoying it. Its not as bad as people say. Story honestly needs more fleshing out. Love the banter, hated the car until I couldn't use it. Fishing is annoying but whatever.

That's it!!!

Runner67

Odin Sphere Leifraiser... or however it's spelled. Made it to the second story which is almost to where I stopped the PS3 re-release. Great game but finding myself wanting to move on to other titles already given the story nature of it going from one arc to the next. Feels like I beat a whole game but clearly have a lot to go.

Might pick up Grandia 2 on PC again to get my traditional JRPG fix.

I feel the same way. I like the story and combat, but man I really hate having to start over progression 5 times in this game. Got to the 2nd story too. Maybe I'll revisit.

Currently playing Person 3 FES and Yakuza 3. Beat Yakuza 1 and 2, intend to play 4,5,0, Kiwami, and 6 (lol thats a lot) as well as Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5. Other than that, gotta get around to FFXII Zodiac age at some point and the Dragon Quest games.

Runner67

Playing thru FFXV for the first time. Really enjoying it. Its not as bad as people say. Story honestly needs more fleshing out. Love the banter, hated the car until I couldn't use it. Fishing is annoying but whatever.

That's it!!!

Yep, they have promises to update the middle to the end of the game at some point. They are focusing on the multiplayer expansion and the last DLC episode first though. Revisiting that once the game is done being updated.

kromeo

I started Persona 1 on the vita last night, too early to really comment on the story but the characters seem interesting so far. The 4 directional movement is really annoying, it's a pain to line up properly to talk to people

Aters

I started Persona 1 on the vita last night, too early to really comment on the story but the characters seem interesting so far. The 4 directional movement is really annoying, it's a pain to line up properly to talk to people

Oh man what a pain. I just couldn't get the character to where I want to.

Labadal

Been eyeing this for Vita lately. How was it?
It's decent. It's basically the GB version, reskinned. Not a fan of the graphical style, music is good. Combat is straightforward. I'd say the game is very basic but still a fun 12 hour romp.

You'll get to mess around with a few different weapon types as the story progresses. From slow area of effect Morningstar, to straight line attacking spears. There's a bar that quickly fills up if you don't attack for a while, and it lets you do a more powerful attack. You'll get a few types of magic. I didn't use many of them, mostly tried them out for fun. You will need the ice magic a few times, for some basic puzzle solving. I stuck to cure 90% of the time. You'll get a few different items, like potions, ethers, status ailment removing items and magic scrolls.

What I liked were the bosses. Anticipate patterns and try to hit their weak spots. It's a solid purchase if you want a fairly short, old school action rpg.

khaaan

L/RTTP on Xenogears, I played a little bit a long time ago but don't remember much of it at all. The game at the beginning was encouraging executing different combo's but so far I don't see why I wouldn't just spam heavy attacks all the time. Still, I've been following it's advice and combo-ing it up. Sometimes the enemy dies before I run out of points and they get added to a meter. There was one time where I somehow triggered something and I think it let me use those points for a super move.

Story seems interesting-ish so far, I arrived at the Yggdrasil and did some exploration. I tried to go to sleep and the game asked me if I was sure twice so I backed out and saved because something's probably going down. Sometimes it feels too chatty but overall it's manageable.

I completed Adventures of Mana. I can't get the platinum trophy, because I missed weapon, lol. Oh well.

Isn't the grind for the platinum ridiculous? Even ignoring the weapon?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's decent. It's basically the GB version, reskinned. Not a fan of the graphical style, music is good. Combat is straightforward. I'd say the game is very basic but still a fun 12 hour romp.

You'll get to mess around with a few different weapon types as the story progresses. From slow area of effect Morningstar, to straight line attacking spears. There's a bar that quickly fills up if you don't attack for a while, and it lets you do a more powerful attack. You'll get a few types of magic. I didn't use many of them, mostly tried them out for fun. You will need the ice magic a few times, for some basic puzzle solving. I stuck to cure 90% of the time. You'll get a few different items, like potions, ethers, status ailment removing items and magic scrolls.

What I liked were the bosses. Anticipate patterns and try to hit their weak spots. It's a solid purchase if you want a fairly short, old school action rpg.

Thx, yea I enjoyed the original on GB and wasn't sure if this was another poor attempt to remake it. Will check it out.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Still playing FF7... nearing end... sooner or later...

Very slowly playing around with the MH Stories demo. I'm enjoying it and will prolly put it on my christmas wishlist. Between .hack and Ever Oasis though I can't afford ta start up another rpg.

Speaking of .hack I finished Infection 100% which put 9 extra hours on the clock 08:17:53 (17:18:21). Grinding for element drinks bites. I started Mutation the other day but have only just barely gotten past the very earliest of parts.

Haha, yes. It's kind of awkward, but definitely better than grind would have been.

You can buy Pendegrunes from Pamella or Tess iirc and they definitely can be found in some dungeons. Potentially from a rumor.
I don't actually know if there is a difference between drops in difficulty modes, I only know that I played on normal and found everything I needed.
I picked the game back up last night and made an important item outta junk as suggested
apparently it was a weapon for Plachta so now she can join the party proper... likely much much later than the game expected
. Doing this allowed Julio's side-stuff to continue finally after forever! The main story also seems ta be moving abit to, though the event "continue improving at alchemy" or something like thats worrying me. Hopefully it just amounts to passing more time. Still no Pendegrune located to continue Leons side-stuff. My Pamela definitely does not have it and I always forget to check Tess.

L/RTTP on Xenogears, I played a little bit a long time ago but don't remember much of it at all. The game at the beginning was encouraging executing different combo's but so far I don't see why I wouldn't just spam heavy attacks all the time. Still, I've been following it's advice and combo-ing it up. Sometimes the enemy dies before I run out of points and they get added to a meter. There was one time where I somehow triggered something and I think it let me use those points for a super move.
Do ya mean X attacks? Those have a much higher miss rate than the others which would be the reason to not overly rely on 'em. An saving up those points is a strat against counter-heavy baddies. Those saved up points can be used to Deathblow Combo.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Atelier Sophie has been beaten! The first like 20-25 hours were real great an I'm sure the remaining 10-15 would've been as well, knowing what I know now. Thanks to Ascheroth for the help!

Read a guide on Deathblows. You'll never figure it out on your own

There's not much strategy to Xenogears combat outside of some REALLY rigid boss encounters, but you're missing out on a lot visually in battle if you just spam heavy attacks. Probably leaving some damage on the table too

kromeo

Can you ever buy weapons in Persona 1? I'm a good way into the game now and Mark and Brown are still using their starting weapons

The music in the game has been mixed so far but there was a boss theme in the fight in the Sebec building that was one of the goats

Just finished Front Mission 4. That was awesome. The story was garbage, the motives of the bad guys made absolutely no sense but the gameplay was very satisfying and the characters on the Venezuelan side were entertaining. Probably going to play the other games in the series too.

ghibli99

Just finished Dragon Quest VII (3DS) after having started it last September. LOL

Started up Pokemon Moon, feels very comfy and well-made. I think I'll quite enjoy it!

The Third Heat

Neo Member
Kingdom Hearts 2 (that counts, right?). Was keen to go through the whole franchise thanks to the PS4 collection, but struggled with some of the quirks of the first game, so I YouTubed a summary of that and the interim stories and jumped right into 2 and so far enjoy it far more than the first one (save for the laborious prologue and the over-abundance of cutscenes in general).

Also been slowly picking away at Persona 5. I generally don't care much for turn-based games, but the style and speed of the battles in this are terrific and actually fun.

Beat Persona 4 PS2 yesterday, enjoyed it greatly as I did P3 and P5. I felt as if it had the best overall writing between the three Hashino directed Persona games, even if I prefer the scenarios and characters in 3/5 more. Dialogue just feels really natural and the main plot is very good at keeping you interested all the way through to the end. And though it has heavy exposition moments they aren't nearly as overwhelming as those in Persona 5.

Gameplay was a step up over P3, but I think both of the PS2 games are just blown away by 5's combat. I played on expert and found the dungeon 2 boss to be the hardest part of the game. After that though the fusion system really opened up and the subsequent dungeons became a lot more manageable. I'll probably go back again some day and play the Golden version to see what was added. I'll likely be waiting a year or two before that happens though.

Deciding whether I want to start tackling Nocturne, Raidou 1 or SMT4 (and then 4A) next.

GeekyDad

Just finished Front Mission 4. That was awesome. The story was garbage, the motives of the bad guys made absolutely no sense but the gameplay was very satisfying and the characters on the Venezuelan side were entertaining. Probably going to play the other games in the series too.

Yeah, if you enjoyed that, maybe consider going back to the port SE he did onto the DS of the original. The story is actually pretty decent in that game, I mean for what it is, anyway. It's a really good game, too.

Fou-Lu

I beat Xenosaga Episode III which was an amazing game and has me crazy a sequel like nothing else. Next up on the JRPG front? Some combination of Trails of Cold Steel, Ys Seven and Lightning Returns. Valkyrie Profile is also something I need to play in the near future.

Thud

SMT IV Apocalypse

I've reached the final dungeon, went full
Griffith and kept Isabeau alive.
No regrets.

dickroach

replaying Final Fantasy XIII.
pretty much at the end. not sure if I wanna do all the mission on Gran Pulse or just go and kill the final boss.
can i fight that giant colossal beast that's stomping around? I wanna fight that thing

Szadek

I haven't played it yet, but I finally bought Shadow Hearts.
Played the first hour or so of the first game forever ago and I really liked it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Finished off .hack//Mutation the other night an post-game 100%-ish stuff just now.

Infection: 08:17:53 (09:00:28)
Mutation: 09:04:55 (05:16:39)

Slightly longer main game, much shorter post-game? I think it was just better planning on my part. I took care of the 3 extra dungeons during the main game portion instead of after like I usually do, plus got most of the rare weapons monsters carry during instead of after like I did in Infection. Oh and the element drink grind was far shorter due to having leftovers from the first game and fewer being required for trading in general! Will move onto Outbreak tomorrow prolly, wanna start re-reading Another Birth Vol.3 first.

Necrovex

Finally completed Trials in the Sky SC, after 50 or so hours logged in. Not sure if/when I'll play the later games, but at least I've seen the end of one particular quest.

I may jump onto Tales of Bersera next.

Taruranto

Finished Panzer Dragon Saga.

This was mostly good, I can definitely see why the game resonated so much with a lot of people. Still, the game didn't impress me as much as I wished it. There was nothing particularly wrong with it, except maybe the incredibly obtuse sub-quest system (Talk to the NPC multiple times and hope they give you the key item/quest? Wtf?). The OST is very good and incredibly atmospheric and the battle system is still pretty original/unique even in 2017.

I think my main issue is with the plot, particularly Azel's character.
The game does a good job at "hyping" her, but I really can't understand how she's supposed to be the game "true protagonist". She's a fascinating character, but she really just ends up getting rescued by Edge multiple times and loses every battle against him. Edge is the one moving the plot and she's the classical JRPG heroine/love interest.

Myriadis

Currently trying out RPG Maker games, and Homework Salesman is one game I like. It's essentially a game where you have a central town which changes often each day (one day passes when you get to sleep). Dungeons are not done in one go but many visits and preperation is key, an idea that I really like. There's a lot of stuff outside to find which can be used to create new items.
Personally I like the whimsical artstyle, and the fact that most important characters are self-drawn is a big plus. It made me realize why I enjoyed playing so much RPG maker games back tehn, aside from the lack of consoles: really good ones can be as fun as the commerical oldschool RPGs.

Fou-Lu

I planned to play Cold Steel, but some unexpected expenses meant buying it felt like a bad idea, so I have ended up playing Wild Arms Alter Code: F, which is a lot of fun so far, I like Cecilia (she reminds me of Estelle Bright!) and Jack a lot and Rudy is cool for a silent protagonist. The world is definitely interesting to me, and reminds me of part of the setting (one of the worlds) of a sci-fi RPG I am working on myself.

daemonic

Banned
Got about 3/4 way through Tales of Berseria and decided to call it quits. With Zestiria I couldn't even make it half way. I don't think the Tales series is for me. That said, I just started Xenosaga Ep III and loving it so far.

Taruranto

Got about 3/4 way through Tales of Berseria and decided to call it quits. With Zestiria I couldn't even make it half way. I don't think the Tales series is for me. That said, I just started Xenosaga Ep III and loving it so far.

Which Tales of did you play? Gameplay-wise ToZ and ToB are among the worst ones.

Acrylic7

Same exact thing for me. Especially with all the new games about to drop. I dont see myself going back even though I think I'm almost at the end.

Trails in the Sky, currently in Zeiss. You know, the game is slow as molasses (battle system and pacing wise) where there'd be hour long sessions where I do nothing but going around town reading dialogue, but I dig the thoughtfulness in the storytelling. I'm 30 hrs in, though I'd wager I'm not even at the halfway point yet.

FFVX. I paused it for P5 when that came out and never really went back to it. Currently on Chapter 7.

And if it counts, just getting around to Yakuza 0. Bought it at release and never opened it until just now.

I need to finish the stuff in my backlog before I get anything else.

Necrovex

Trails in the Sky, currently in Zeiss. You know, the game is slow as molasses (battle system and pacing wise) where there'd be hour long sessions where I do nothing but going around town reading dialogue, but I dig the thoughtfulness in the storytelling. I'm 30 hrs in, though I'd wager I'm not even at the halfway point yet.

The fast forward patch made the slow gameplay much more tolerable.

kubricks

In anticipation to the secret of mana remake which I will undoubtly purchase on day one, I think it's a good idea to fire up Seiken densetsu 3 just to see how everything held up...

And before I knew it, 4hours has passed, it's dawn and I have to go to work.
What have I done to myself lol!

Pepboy

I feel the same way. I like the story and combat, but man I really hate having to start over progression 5 times in this game. Got to the 2nd story too. Maybe I'll revisit.

Currently playing Person 3 FES and Yakuza 3. Beat Yakuza 1 and 2, intend to play 4,5,0, Kiwami, and 6 (lol thats a lot) as well as Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5. Other than that, gotta get around to FFXII Zodiac age at some point and the Dragon Quest games.

I'm about 34 hours into Dragon Quest VII.

I just started playing the series fairly recently after beating the first game on NES and I think I want to try and beat them all before XI comes west. I'm not sure what I'm going to playthrough next. I either want to start with IV and go from there to V and VI, or play Dragon Warrior II and then III on NES so I can move on from the really old games and not have to go back to them after playing the newer games (I think I made a mistake jumping to VII so "early"). Playing these games really makes me want to play Blue Dragon again too. I think it's the Toriyama art.

Dragon Quest VII part
Oh boy! I hated the Alltrades Abbey part.

DQ IV and V are on sale for 50% off on square enix store:

https://store.na.square-enix.com/back-to-school-sale-physical

I'd recommend skipping 2 and 3 for now, maybe mixing them into playthroughs of some of the others. I worry they will burn you out, especially II, unless you enjoy a grind.

Or consider playing II on mobile (quick sessions makes it more bearable) and III on SNES/GBC (slightly more modern touches to gameplay). The SNES version has an English fan patch, the GBC was officially localized.

GeekyDad

I'd recommend skipping 2 and 3 for now, maybe mixing them into playthroughs of some of the others. I worry they will burn you out, especially II, unless you enjoy a grind.

Or consider playing II on mobile (quick sessions makes it more bearable) and III on SNES/GBC (slightly more modern touches to gameplay). The SNES version has an English fan patch, the GBC was officially localized.

Holy shit, they're still selling copies of Chrono Cross...and cheap too.

As an aside, Exit DS is on sale. Folks should check that one out if they haven't. Good game.

Justinh

Damn, I paid more for IV and V last month lol. Thanks for the heads up though.

I kinda want to play 2 and 3 now because, from what I understand, they're connected to DW1, and that's the only one I've beaten. Also, Dragon Quest Builders has me wanting to go back to that world. Mobile as an option is... not really an option for me. If there's an android version then maybe I could get it to work on my Blackberry, but I don't like playing games on phones anyways. I'll just keep an eye out for a deal for the NES carts. Probably going to have to spend a lot for 3, because I don't like buying NES games without their manuals if I can help it.

Top Bottom