• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of bread do you buy?

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Recently been reacquainted with my love of marble rye.

I've grown out of my Hillbilly bread lust and have no issue splurging for that extra good good

Detroit-Marble.png

This Detroit Marble specifically...

This Michigan Bread company does it up man, big pimpin'

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF
That honestly looks more like a dessert than bread to me. Probably tastier than it looks.

Reminds me a bit of something called jam roly-poly we have in the UK, at least on appearance. Then again, I could be weird.

71wwfoZez1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

teezzy

Banned
You guys really never had marble rye before? @Sidney Prescott Goro Majima Goro Majima

I thought it was super common.

Contrary to popular belief, the dark swirl in a loaf of marble rye is not pumpernickel. Rather, it's the same rye bread as the light swirl, but made darker with added cocoa powder.

On that note, I need to get me some pumpernickel and butter as well... maybe tomorrow. I'm tryna enjoy the simple things in life more.

easy-pumpernickel-bread-recipe-428175.Hero-5b59ed4cc9e77c0097581007.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just tried a double loaf of Rudolph's at Costco. Giant slices. Comes in a double pack. Cut it in half and you got two sandwiches. Worth it for $4.

imageService

Ballthyrm

If your bread comes in a plastic bag that's a NO from me.

The best bread is usually a fresh wood fired sourdough bread. Something like that.

As a Frenchman I guess I have the duty to say the traditional baguette (it's strongly regulated in France) , it has to be made with nothing but water yeast & flour.

In France we also have a reality tv show about the best bakeries because of course we do.

Bread is life, bread goes with everything.
The best things in life are the simplest, say yes to good bread.

Last edited:
61Pwwe4NBbL.jpg

I tell everyone who sees this bread that Killer Dave murdered his family but got released on a technicality and is now a successful bread maker.

No one laughs but I refuse to stop going back to that well.
This is exactly what I buy, as well...and occasionally some dark rye if Wegman's has some fresh baked. Dave Dahl actually has a bit of a story associated with the rise to "bread fame", but not quite as dramatic as killing his family. Worth looking up, and it's legitimately good, reasonably non-offensive bread, too boot.

Delf

Banned
I live about 5 miles from an Amish market.
Its only open from Thur to Sat but I buy 2 loaves of fresh baked, sliced white bread every week.
I do like 90% of my shopping there when it comes to baked goods, meat, veggies, milk and juices.

Its all maybe a few bucks more per week but the taste is WAYYYY better.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I live about 5 miles from an Amish market.
Its only open from Thur to Sat but I buy 2 loaves of fresh baked, sliced white bread every week.
I do like 90% of my shopping there when it comes to baked goods, meat, veggies, milk and juices.

Its all maybe a few bucks more per week but the taste is WAYYYY better.
Never bought anything Amish, but I always heard that Amish handmade furniture is the best shit you can buy. It costs more and also costs more for them to stain it (it might be built raw), but assuming you got money to spend, no store bought shit comes close..... so I heard.

Delf

Banned
Never bought anything Amish, but I always heard that Amish handmade furniture is the best shit you can buy. It costs more and also costs more for them to stain it (it might be built raw), but assuming you got money to spend, no store bought shit comes close..... so I heard.

Yeah, the market is HUGE and like 50% of it is dedicated to the furniture area.
We like to go and look cause its WAAAAY outside of our price range. The discount section is usually $600 for the lowest end stuff, like end tables.
Was just looking at bedroom dressers the other day and they start at like 2 or 3k

No lie tho, its the type of furniture that will last through generations of your family. Solid as a rock and expertly made.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I tell you what, though. Since my treatment, I've become sooooooooooo sensitive to smells, and every time I have to walk by the bread aisle, I get grossed the fuck out. I think it's the yeast I'm smelling, not sure. But...I think it's from those cheapo breads. I don't smell it when I go by the bakery, or when I toast my Ezekiel bread.

mekes

I decided to stop in a bakery last month that my dad used to visit when I was young. Whilst I was there they were unloading trays of this freshly made bread from the ovens at the back. It looked so good that I bought one. And it was so good that I've been back every week since to buy one.

Apparently it's called Challah bread. I know I've had this before but I never knew the name. I actually used to have it from a Jamaican bakery when I was young. You could get a pasty sandwich which was s spiced pasty heated up inbetween 2 pieces of Challah bread. Carb heavy, really good.

3hplr1J.jpg

GeekyDad

I decided to stop in a bakery last month that my dad used to visit when I was young. Whilst I was there they were unloading trays of this freshly made bread from the ovens at the back. It looked so good that I bought one. And it was so good that I've been back every week since to buy one.

Apparently it's called Challah bread. I know I've had this before but I never knew the name. I actually used to have it from a Jamaican bakery when I was young. You could get a pasty sandwich which was s spiced pasty heated up inbetween 2 pieces of Challah bread. Carb heavy, really good.

3hplr1J.jpg
Sounds like you got hooked like your old man. ;)

Yeah, it's a Jewish bread, if memory serves. It was always in our house growing up.

Tams

When I was home in the UK, cheap brown bread, cheap white bread only for toast, and sometimes some fancy wholegrain stuff.

I don't buy bread here in Japan because it's shit. Not Indian/Nepali bread level shit, but still shit (some of the fancy stuff from bakeries or some cafés is good, but that's expensive).

Last edited:

Yamisan

Everytime I go to the store I just buy the Giant Eagle brand for like $1.20 a loaf. I rarely actually eat it though and often end up tossing the entire loaf except in the summer where I might make a sandwich or two.

Ezekiel_Sprouted_Grain_Bread.jpg
OIP.MRCnOAlSS5mEZUjTRYV4fQHaN5
5e5772320538a381a76ad3429c3e6b02.gif

also, every now and then i'll get some fresh bakery bread that was just baked and spread some butter on it, mm mm.
Americans and their strange marketing and mascots. You people put a cow on a bottle of PVA glue. What's that crap all about?

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The own brand wholemeal, sometimes own brand white.

I like to make a quick garlic bread using the sandpaper method, where u rub a garlic clove on hot toasts and it will erode the garlic like sand paper.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When I have people for a BBQ I buy this Costco pack. For just me, sometimes I'll buy a smaller pack. Not sure why but past year or so I upped my game for better burger buns even though they are small.

imageService

For bread, I'm been buying this kind of bread lately. I dont like pure rye bread (the brownish kind), but if it's more on the light side it's good. These arent rye but have that texture that's kind of rye-ish. Heavier and tougher than that white fluffy cheap bread. Big slices too. If you arent that hungry, one slice cut into two makes a small sandwich by itself. They always go on sale for $2 CDN.

461506.jpg
20998670_front_a06_@2.png

If I feel like cheaping out, I'll but this beauty for $1 at RCSS. Great for meat sandwiches. But not the type of bread to use for spreads. The white part is so thin and fluffy, spreading something on it with a knife will rip through it.

21117067_front_a06_@2.png

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Wife’s a baker so it’s whatever she deigns to serve me. Usually it’s brioche buns, French and Vietnamese baguettes, and lots and lots of sourdough loaves.

Top Bottom