• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What made you lose complete sympathy/respect for a friend?

Mondai

My friend and I were pretty good friends, he was fun dude. he died in 2014 and I was bit sad when I heard the news but as soon as I found out how he died , I lost any positive feelings I had for him (He was drunk driving, going 100+ miles on the freeway in the afternoon , he hit a divider wall , the friend that was with him died instantly since both were super drunk and not wearing seatbelts. My friend had burns on 90% of his body so he didn;t last long), I was little mad at what a fucking dumbass he was and now I am only glad that he didn't kill anyone else.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
3e9.jpg

MastAndo

Long story incoming;

Growing up, my brother (who is 10 years old then me) had a friend, so by association he was always my friend as well since he was always around. It wasn't until I hit adulthood, and my bro was ready to accept me as a peer, that we actually all hung out together. His friend and I got along real well, having the same stupid sense of humor and all. We hung out every weekend, going bowling, playing golf, grabbing a bite and a few drinks, goofing off about nothing in particular. He had grown into a good friend of mine and I genuinely enjoyed his company.

Fast forward about 10 years, he just...changed. He became hypersensitive to everything and everyone. He demanded to be coddled, and being that I'm not the coddling type, he started seeing me as his enemy. Every day in our group messages, it would be some hateful venom he would spew my way - I'm no good, I don't care about anyone or anything, etc. I stuck with it, and we all still hung out but he and I were clearly not getting along and he would make each night hanging out miserable for everyone.

One time, he had a health scare and called another friend in a panic. We all dropped what we were doing to be with him and he was in hysterics over something irrational. We offered all the kind words we could. I thought I had reached him at one point and tried to give him a hug, and he pushed me away, while accepting the others.

His demeanor completely changed and he basically wore it on his face. It was a permanent scowl. When he wasn't angry, he was depressed. Every life issue was an insurmountable hill to climb. He was clearly facing mental health issues, but I felt he was beyond reproach and there was nothing I could do to make amends or offer help.

A short while after that, with more and more hate sent my way, I told my brother I had had enough, and I wanted nothing to do with our friend anymore. I cut off all contact and wouldn't hang out when he was around. I thought about letting him know directly, but I was sure it would just be met with anger and nastiness, so why bother? In my head, all I could think was, fuck that guy.

It's been about 5 months now since he committed suicide. The feelings of guilt, confusion and this profound sadness were overwhelming. It had been a long while since I had been hit with a wave of emotion like that, but I broke down in tears when I got the news and had to excuse myself more than once at his funeral service to be alone with my feelings. I'm admittedly not great at handling these things.

I couldn't escape the feeling that there was more I could have done, that I didn't handle it the best way I could, knowing he was so troubled. I still can't escape those feelings. I think about telling him I'm sorry when he shows up in my dreams - but in those dreams, all I see is the guy I remember in my younger days, and his smiling face and end up getting lost in those moments instead.

Woggleman

Not me but my wife had a friend who keeps dating married men then when they chew her up and spit her out she gets on her men are trash kick. My wife finally told that she does it to herself.

Nobody_Important

"it's a white genocide perpetrated by the elites"

verbatim
When the vaccines first came out and our company had a meeting to "encourage" us all to get vaxxed I had a guy in the elevator on the way out very quietly claim that the vaccines were to change the "white man's DNA" and to elevate the "others" of society. Before that the guy seemed perfectly normal. We chatted about fantasy football and sports betting on Mondays.

That was an interesting discussion with HR the next day to say the least lol

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Long story incoming;

Growing up, my brother (who is 10 years old then me) had a friend, so by association he was always my friend as well since he was always around. It wasn't until I hit adulthood, and my bro was ready to accept me as a peer, that we actually all hung out together. His friend and I got along real well, having the same stupid sense of humor and all. We hung out every weekend, going bowling, playing golf, grabbing a bite and a few drinks, goofing off about nothing in particular. He had grown into a good friend of mine and I genuinely enjoyed his company.

Fast forward about 10 years, he just...changed. He became hypersensitive to everything and everyone. He demanded to be coddled, and being that I'm not the coddling type, he started seeing me as his enemy. Every day in our group messages, it would be some hateful venom he would spew my way - I'm no good, I don't care about anyone or anything, etc. I stuck with it, and we all still hung out but he and I were clearly not getting along and he would make each night hanging out miserable for everyone.

One time, he had a health scare and called another friend in a panic. We all dropped what we were doing to be with him and he was in hysterics over something irrational. We offered all the kind words we could. I thought I had reached him at one point and tried to give him a hug, and he pushed me away, while accepting the others.

His demeanor completely changed and he basically wore it on his face. It was a permanent scowl. When he wasn't angry, he was depressed. Every life issue was an insurmountable hill to climb. He was clearly facing mental health issues, but I felt he was beyond reproach and there was nothing I could do to make amends or offer help.

A short while after that, with more and more hate sent my way, I told my brother I had had enough, and I wanted nothing to do with our friend anymore. I cut off all contact and wouldn't hang out when he was around. I thought about letting him know directly, but I was sure it would just be met with anger and nastiness, so why bother? In my head, all I could think was, fuck that guy.

It's been about 5 months now since he committed suicide. The feelings of guilt, confusion and this profound sadness were overwhelming. It had been a long while since I had been hit with a wave of emotion like that, but I broke down in tears when I got the news and had to excuse myself more than once at his funeral service to be alone with my feelings. I'm admittedly not great at handling these things.

I couldn't escape the feeling that there was more I could have done, that I didn't handle it the best way I could, knowing he was so troubled. I still can't escape those feelings. I think about telling him I'm sorry when he shows up in my dreams - but in those dreams, all I see is the guy I remember in my younger days, and his smiling face and end up getting lost in those moments instead.
I've had friends that I grew apart from because I felt they were making terrible life choices. People that were my closest friends when I was younger. At least one of them died from a drug overdose, and we saw it coming, even though many tried to help.

My point is, sometimes people just make bad choices and no one can help them get back on track. It sounds like you tried, even to the point of being bluntly rejected. The fact you feel guilt shows that you did care, and at the same time I personally think you shouldn't feel any guilt whatsoever. I know it's still fresh since it was just five months ago, and I understand that feeling of "I should have tried harder," but sometimes that act of trying to help can just push people farther away and make their responses even more stubborn.

What am I trying to say here? Just a simple message I suppose. Don't feel guilty. It wasn't your fault. Unfortunately life goes this way sometimes, and we don't have the power to stop or change it.

When the vaccines first came out and our company had a meeting to "encourage" us all to get vaxxed I had a guy in the elevator on the way out very quietly claim that the vaccines were to change the "white man's DNA" and to elevate the "others" of society. Before that the guy seemed perfectly normal. We chatted about fantasy football and sports betting on Mondays.

You should have told him that that is bullshit to his face. They’re using affirmative action for that.

Nobody_Important

You should have told him that that is bullshit to his face. They’re using affirmative action for that.
I literally laughed and told him that he needed to get out more because I thought he was kidding. Then he doubled down with a "You won't be laughing when "they" replace "us"." After that I just kind of nervously laughed and got the off at the next floor.

Dude was a bag of cats. A company doesn't need that kind of crazy racism in their day to day.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Twice.

Once was way back in 2004. I was in a car with my mate driving, but about five minutes into the journey I notice he's gurning and sweating buckets. I ask him if he's okay, and he then tells me he's popped a few pills (ecstasy) and is rushing his tits off. I told him to stop, took over driving duties and drove us home. The stupid prick could have either got us both nicked or worse, killed us and other people. Lost a lot of respect for him after that.

A second time was more recently in 2019. Somebody who I had been friends with for almost 20 years got brainwashed from Twitter and Facebook. They told me during a conversation about the 2019 election that both me and him were racist because of our white skin and because we benefit from that "white privilege". He stopped being my friend at that point.

SoulTas

Neo Member
I have a couple of friends who are very religious. Thankfully, they are christians in a civilized country so they aren't really dangerous. We used to have heated debates about these things (i'm an atheist) but as we grew older we realized this isn't getting anywhere so we agreed to stop talking about it.

One day though, they both admitted that it would be fair if i died tomorrow because of the things i say and believe. They would feel sad about me but they still believe that's what i deserve. And not only that, if i would also end up in hell they would still feel that's fair. And not just me but also other people they supposedly love, like their mothers, brothers, other friends, etc. And the most disturbing of all was that, they believe, if they end up in heaven, all the sad thoughts about friends and family burning in hell would go away because you can't be sad in heaven.

Now since i don't believe in fairy tales, i shouldn't care about this and laugh at them. But if you really think about it and see things from their perspective.... they must completely lack any empathy if what they say is the truth. And i know it's the truth because they believe those fairy tales. So basically they wouldn't give a shit if their friends or family would suffer for all eternity while they drink margaritas in a magical garden with fluffy clouds or something... Because it would be fair if god decided it.

nush

I have a couple of friends who are very religious. Thankfully, they are christians in a civilized country so they aren't really dangerous. We used to have heated debates about these things (i'm an atheist) but as we grew older we realized this isn't getting anywhere so we agreed to stop talking about it.

One day though, they both admitted that it would be fair if i died tomorrow because of the things i say and believe. They would feel sad about me but they still believe that's what i deserve. And not only that, if i would also end up in hell they would still feel that's fair. And not just me but also other people they supposedly love, like their mothers, brothers, other friends, etc. And the most disturbing of all was that, they believe, if they end up in heaven, all the sad thoughts about friends and family burning in hell would go away because you can't be sad in heaven.

Now since i don't believe in fairy tales, i shouldn't care about this and laugh at them. But if you really think about it and see things from their perspective.... they must completely lack any empathy if what they say is the truth. And i know it's the truth because they believe those fairy tales. So basically they wouldn't give a shit if their friends or family would suffer for all eternity while they drink margaritas in a magical garden with fluffy clouds or something... Because it would be fair if god decided it.

Heaven sounds like a hell where you are tripped out on drugs for an eternity.

HoodWinked

You're Elaine and your friends are Puddy.

Ionian

Twice.

Once was way back in 2004. I was in a car with my mate driving, but about five minutes into the journey I notice he's gurning and sweating buckets. I ask him if he's okay, and he then tells me he's popped a few pills (ecstasy) and is rushing his tits off. I told him to stop, took over driving duties and drove us home. The stupid prick could have either got us both nicked or worse, killed us and other people. Lost a lot of respect for him after that.

A second time was more recently in 2019. Somebody who I had been friends with for almost 20 years got brainwashed from Twitter and Facebook. They told me during a conversation about the 2019 election that both me and him were racist because of our white skin and because we benefit from that "white privilege". He stopped being my friend at that point.

Had a mate like that, he rear-ended a taxi off his head on ecstasy. Police came, car impounded.

Then he got attacked in a graveyard (was a short-cut to home, completely random) and had to have his eyes rewired. I wish I was joking. Was just some junkies off their head, dude was a fighter and they destroyed him. He didn't just double drop, the parties I went to was just people competing for the most they could do. I guess tolerance. They'd just fall asleep and make spastic moves. Never saw the fun in that.

Pretty sure I posted this before but was watching America History X when I got the call and right at the curb-stomp.

He wasn't himself afterwards, a fiend for drugs originally he then went to Thailand and got fucked up after it happened.

His mother rang another mate (his best mate) to open the door as she couldn't. His body was behind it.

I've done plenty of drugs (quit a long time ago) but his funeral woke me up.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Roommate of ours came home drunk one night and apparently shit his pants while in the kitchen waiting on his frozen pizza. No one knew about this of course, or that he just took his underwear off and put it in a lower kitchen drawer, put his pants back on and just kept going about his day.

From that day forth he was nicknamed "Three Drawers Down." And we didn't invite him to renew the lease.

NahaNago

I wouldn't say he was a friend but he was a coworker I talked games and anime with and I lost respect for him when he got into a fight with a guy 30 to 40 years older than him for barely a reason. I'd already seen him throw a couple of fits before and got into it with another coworker but they got over that spat a few minutes later. The fits I was okay with since I had seen that type of thing with other coworkers before quite often and the spat with the coworker made sense to me since both guys were fairly young. The fight with the old guy was just silly and escalated into something that never needed to happen and just had me reevaluate hanging with a guy who blows up so often because of his short guy issues.

Nothing like some of the crazy stories here, bit I have a buddy of mine who I love like a brother, but goddamnit is he pathetic. He's a stoner NEET who lives on the good graces of his mother, whom he hates, and turns into a bitter Ree poster whenever he gets high.

It's like, "Bro, when I smoked weed years ago I got happy, why are you so fucking miserable all the time?"

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Nothing like some of the crazy stories here, bit I have a buddy of mine who I love like a brother, but goddamnit is he pathetic. He's a stoner NEET who lives on the good graces of his mother, whom he hates, and turns into a bitter Ree poster whenever he gets high.

It's like, "Bro, when I smoked weed years ago I got happy, why are you so fucking miserable all the time?"
For men, life satisfaction is overwhelmingly derived from career, then family. His easy life is a trap that guarantees misery.

AJUMP23

I have had people say stupid stuff at work to me, but I never reported them to HR. Like I had a guy not want to go to an ice cream store because it was run by Muslims. I said who care, in fact I said you want people different than you contributing, and you Coldstone is good no matter who runs the store.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I had a friend in high school that cared very deeply what other people thought of him. No spine. Cut contact as soon as I could.

Aesius

I got introduced to a guy through my wife who worked with his wife. We've hung out with this couple for a few years, but over time I started noticing that the guy is a major bragger and one-upper.

He constantly drops little tidbits about his personal finances and success in humblebrag ways. Like how he's so anxious about money while raising his daughter even though he and his wife make $300k+ per year and he personally has $300k in savings/stocks. And just in general conversation if my wife or I bring up something that's bugging us in life, he will respond with how that's not an issue for him and his wife because of XYZ reasons and how he's so glad he doesn't have to deal with it.

We were talking about the fact that we are buying a house and the market is crazy. "Oh yeah, I'm SO glad we bought before this mess, our home has actually gained $150k in value in two years"

We were talking about having our son in daycare a few days a week. "I'm SO glad we don't have to put our daughter in daycare, they aren't good for kids, thankfully we have enough money to pay for a full-time nanny"

We were talking about how our son occasionally doesn't sleep well at night and gets fussy. "Our daughter is so easy! She slept through the night from day one. She never fusses and is just such an easy baby. Really happy we don't have to deal with that."

Shit like this comes up every time I'm around him. It's like he just waits for opportunities to brag, which is annoying on its own, but he does it in response to things I say, which makes it that much more irritating and almost mocking in tone.

I got introduced to a guy through my wife who worked with his wife. We've hung out with this couple for a few years, but over time I started noticing that the guy is a major bragger and one-upper.

He constantly drops little tidbits about his personal finances and success in humblebrag ways. Like how he's so anxious about money while raising his daughter even though he and his wife make $300k+ per year and he personally has $300k in savings/stocks. And just in general conversation if my wife or I bring up something that's bugging us in life, he will respond with how that's not an issue for him and his wife because of XYZ reasons and how he's so glad he doesn't have to deal with it.

We were talking about the fact that we are buying a house and the market is crazy. "Oh yeah, I'm SO glad we bought before this mess, our home has actually gained $150k in value in two years"

We were talking about having our son in daycare a few days a week. "I'm SO glad we don't have to put our daughter in daycare, they aren't good for kids, thankfully we have enough money to pay for a full-time nanny"

We were talking about how our son occasionally doesn't sleep well at night and gets fussy. "Our daughter is so easy! She slept through the night from day one. She never fusses and is just such an easy baby. Really happy we don't have to deal with that."

Shit like this comes up every time I'm around him. It's like he just waits for opportunities to brag, which is annoying on its own, but he does it in response to things I say, which makes it that much more irritating and almost mocking in tone.

8bitpill

This was a little over seventeen years ago. My high school best friend was dealing large amounts of "nose beers". This was when we were in college (not at the same one). We hung out every couple of months just to catch up.

Well this one time I went to his house he was renting in the city before we went out. He told me he had someone coming over to pick something up before we went out.

This guy comes in and says what's up to me and I say the same. It ends there and he starts talking to my friend. As my friend is packing everything up for this guy, the guy pulls out his gun and is just looking at it, kind of admiring it but of course he was making a statement with it. He was fidgety (of course he was due to the fact what he was buying). There wasn't any type of fear about what was going on or what he was holding. I mean there was concern due to natural instinct. Guy paid for what he came for and left.

When my friend and I got in the car, he apologized and said "I know you don't like to be around for deals", I told him it wasn't that, it was the fact the guy was showing his insecurities about the deal and he of course had a concern I was there because I'm sure he thought it was just going to be him and my friend. I stoped my friend before he started talking again after I said that and told him "to never involve or bring me to something like that again."

After that night I didn't see or hang out with him for years.

My friend did end up going to jail for this due to the fact his then girlfriend "dropped a dime" on him and what he was doing.

He got out after only a couple of years on good behavior. We hung out a couple of weeks after he got out (it was about six years after the last time we hung out). He wised up and we're friends till this day. He started his own company and is living comfortably now.

UntidyFirmCaracal-mobile.mp4

8bitpill

Just start playing this every-time he pulls this.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
He murdered a guy because he lost a fight. He was a good friend in my teens, we hung out a bit after high school. We both grew up in the same bad town, I moved onto college while he became a very successful drug dealer (pot and coke). Was always a tough guy, prideful, never lost a fight until we were 22. That night he bit off more than he could chew from some huge ex green beret (he was and is a very cock D dude himself), and by all accounts he barely lost the fight in a McDonald's parking lot of all places. Instead of letting it go he went and got the huge pistol he kept under his driver's seat and blew the guy away.

Crazy thing is, he cut a deal and got out early, only served four years (like I mentioned, he was a huge dealer so he had some dirt to spill). So he's a murderer and a rat. Haven't spoken to him in years. Don't plan to either.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

LESSON OF THIS DAY.

Never debate about polític and religión.

nush

That night he bit off more than he could chew from some huge ex green beret (he was and is a very cock D dude himself), and by all accounts he barely lost the fight in a McDonald's

Green Berets are on the breakfast menu at McDonalds? I bet he eats them.

Apeopleman

You reported him to HR?

A person that is not able to think for himself and simply spouts bullshit that sees on TV or media, rejecting any other type of opinion or discussion, that’s a big no no. It’s one of the things I hate most in life.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good buddy in high school came over one day and yelled at my parents.

I beat the shit out of him off school property one day.

Never spoke to him again after high school.

My friend since middle school, once we got to high school, I think it was our second year in, we weren’t in any of the same classes and she started hanging around this small group of people from her class, particularly this one girl. That’s fine, I’m not a gatekeeping cunt who thinks my friends can’t be friends with other people, but, one day, on my spare, I saw her hanging with this girl in front of the school, I went over to say hi to her and then the girl offered her a smoke and she took it and was smoking right then and there.

I was so disappointed….probably sounds lame, compared to other stories people have, but, I knew her better than anyone, she was too in to trying to impress people, so, I knew her smoking wasn’t because she really wanted to, it was just to impress some bitch that wasn’t even hanging with her long after that. Some respect was lost there. I told her to put that shit out, she ain’t a smoker and I didn’t want her to get in to it with the possibility of getting sick and dying later in life from it. She refused, so, I just walked away. We are still friends , that was just a real disappointing moment.

Thaedolus

Caught him embezzling funds and cheating on his long time girlfriend with a girl he hired. Also found his burner email account where he was having anonymous M2M hookups on Craigslist, which…kinda made me laugh at that point, what other comic book villain shit was he up to? Oh he conned his mom out of 35k saying he bought equipment for the business with it and she calls up asking us where her money was that we owed her. I asked her to send me some receipts or documentation and ended up having to comfort her as she went over credit card statements in her name for boy cam sites and shit…

Let’s just say he doesn’t get a Christmas card from us anymore

Last edited:
Yeah how dare I report blatant racism in the workplace lol

I dunno man, I work on jobsites. Construction sites. We deal with situations differently, there doesn't tend to be some figure of authority to tattle to so i guess it works differently in the office?

You said he was a decent guy before, and this racism was apparently nothing more than talking out loud in an elevator with you. It wasn't as if he was causing a toxic work environment by being shitty and racist towards other coworkers, maybe it would've been more efficient to just have a chat with the dude instead of clamming up and running to hr?

Top Bottom