• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What makes Tom brady so good

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
what makes him the GOAT, when he's not necessarry the most talented, skilled Qb

people like Rodgers, Manning, Mahomes, Brees have more raw skill than him... there are quarterbacks that throw harder, farther, more accurate than Tom

so what does Tom have that makes him so successful? I just don't get it

usa_today_15543714.12.jpg

Dr Bass

Who says throwing "harder" and "farther" makes you a better QB? It really seems to me like a lot of people don't get these guys are playing games. I.E. there are rules, objectives, way to play smart, and ways to let feats of athleticism impress people who clearly don't get it.

It reminds me of tennis and people who think Gulbis was "super talented" because he would constantly club the ball. Yeah it would be impressive sometimes, but he lost a lot, and made nothing of himself. Then he would have the audacity to criticize the guys who would basically become the best players to ever play the game because they didn't play like he did.

Tom Brady works his rear off, knows how to play the game, knows how to lead and also get the best out of his teammates. Everyone in the league respects and looks up to the dude. I don't think what he's done will ever be repeated in our life times. 7 championships including winning both conferences? 10 trips to the super bowl? How many players even have careers lasting ten years?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
His jawline is what makes him superior. Real talk.

Seriously, Tom Brady's secret is complete, total dedication to his work. He demands that everyone around him commit to the same work ethic he has. He sees everything as his job, his food, sleep, time, his ability to stay focused.

2) He has a HUGE chip on his shoulder. He was ALWAYS overlooked and ALWAYS someone was chosen ahead of him. (Aaron Rodgers is VERY similar) There is a LONG history of guys who were overlooked or who had to fight to get their shot. Unitas is a great example.

Brady dreamed of being Montana (as did Rodgers) he was a California kid, but he wasn't even the biggest star at his high school. He wasn't a star at Michigan and that was not his first choice of schools. He was the 199th player chosen (6th round)... he was an after thought and it mad him more determined to succeed.

This is a very similar biography to lots of people who are successful. Every minute that the other guy is happy to just be there, they are raging that they were underestimated and overlooked. How many times have they said he was 'done' (same for Rodgers)

That edge is their advantage. It is what fuels him to be so competitive and so great.

Fans who dismiss him or 'hate him' he uses that to fuel that fire.

Rat Rage

Seriously, Tom Brady's secret is complete, total dedication to his work. He demands that everyone around him commit to the same work ethic he has. He sees everything as his job, his food, sleep, time, his ability to stay focused.

2) He has a HUGE chip on his shoulder. He was ALWAYS overlooked and ALWAYS someone was chosen ahead of him. (Aaron Rodgers is VERY similar) There is a LONG history of guys who were overlooked or who had to fight to get their shot. Unitas is a great example.

Brady dreamed of being Montana (as did Rodgers) he was a California kid, but he wasn't even the biggest star at his high school. He wasn't a star at Michigan and that was not his first choice of schools. He was the 199th player chosen (6th round)... he was an after thought and it mad him more determined to succeed.

This is a very similar biography to lots of people who are successful. Every minute that the other guy is happy to just be there, they are raging that they were underestimated and overlooked. How many times have they said he was 'done' (same for Rodgers)

That edge is their advantage. It is what fuels him to be so competitive and so great.

What a great comment. Enjoyed reading that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Clutch 4th quarter comebacks it’s second nature to Tom, he’s on another level as we speak and can obviously be an MVP so there’s issues with the OP’s assessment Tom has a great QBR, won an MVP, and lived up to those other quaterback’s seasons. Still great stat stuffer.

bucyou

his drive and will to win radiates throughout his teammates to drive themselves to be better than they thought they could ever be

Reactions: MrS

Termite

But there are other players like this with the same work rate and mentality (you mention Rodgers) and yet no one has ever come close to Brady's success at any position.

My theory:
He was fortunate to land on a team with a great coach and benefitted from a couple lucky breaks early in his career to win a Super Bowl. (The tuck rule.) He was not the reason that team won the Super Bowl, though he contributed well.

This gave him the self-belief from his very first season to know that he could - and SHOULD - be winning Super Bowls every year. And he threw everything he had into making that a reality. It also gave him the authority to demand more of his team mates, especially after three rings in his first four years. "I'm a champion, I know how to win - do what I tell you."

And the team then believes it's going to win, because it's best player and leader always wins. It trusts him. And then it starts affecting the opposition. And they start making mental errors because they're trying to hard because they believe that Brady will score if he has to.

tl;dr - Success very early in his career due to circumstances (as well as his own quality play) set him up with the self belief and authority to take teams further than they'd ever been taken.

And I say the "fortunate" stuff not to downplay what he has achieved, his talent or work-rate, but just to note that no-one could have had this utterly insane level of success without landing in a good spot early on.

Last edited:

manfestival

people like Rodgers, Manning, Mahomes, Brees have more raw skill than him... there are quarterbacks that throw harder, farther, more accurate than Tom

His white privilege

bender

What time is it?
Natural leadership shouldn't be overlooked. Since I relate everything to Dallas based teams, Romo was a much better quarterback than Dak but he wasn't a great leader. Dak tends to get the most out of the teams around him and that wasn't Romo's MO. Unless the gap in talent is a chasm, I think most teams would go with the less talented QB who is the best leader in a team building exercise.

I think luck also plays a part as some players are just lucky and others aren't. Romo was one of the unluckiest athletes I've ever witnessed.

This is a pretty good response. And yea, Tom Brady seems like that hyper-focused competitor with a "winner" mentality.

It reminds me of The Last Dance, and how many of the more prominent Bulls members (coach Phil Jackson, Steve Kerr, Scottie Pippen), but most especially Michael Jordan had a "win above all" mentality. And if you're a leader, like Jordan in that case, or Brady in this case, you're going to push your teammates to help them become their best and help you achieve your goals of winning.

I personally admire driven and successful people. Tom Brady is driven and successful.

manfestival

Natural leadership shouldn't be overlooked. Since I relate everything to Dallas based teams, Romo was a much better quarterback than Dak but he wasn't a great leader. Dak tends to get the most out of the teams around him and that wasn't Romo's MO. Unless the gap in talent is a chasm, I think most teams would go with the less talented QB who is the best leader in a team building exercise.

I think luck also plays a part as some players are just lucky and others aren't. Romo was one of the unluckiest athletes I've ever witnessed.
I disagree with your take on Romo. Simply for 2 reasons. I hate the cowboys and I strongly dislike Romo. He was easily the worst thing about Superb Owl. At least he finally got to an Owl.

bender

What time is it?
I disagree with your take on Romo. Simply for 2 reasons. I hate the cowboys and I strongly dislike Romo. He was easily the worst thing about Superb Owl. At least he finally got to an Owl.

It's okay to be wrong.

Disliking Romo is idiotic. Dude was undrafted and became a really good quarterback thanks to a force of will and Quincy Carter's cocaine habit. Dude was tough as nails (played a half with a punctured lung), never had a balanced team around him (Jerry Jones!) and rarely had a good offensive line. Romo magic was fun to watch as he ran for his life and created something out of nothing. I get disliking the Cowboys, I don't really care for them and I grew up around the team (Jerry Jones! again) but Romo should be held as a Cinderella story for other players to aspire towards. Sure he never won anything, but there isn't a QB alive that is going to win in that organization.

Romo was terrible in the booth during the Superbowl, I'll give you that.

manfestival

It's okay to be wrong.

Disliking Romo is idiotic. Dude was undrafted and became a really good quarterback thanks to a force of will and Quincy Carter's cocaine habit. Dude was tough as nails (played a half with a punctured lung), never had a balanced team around him (Jerry Jones!) and rarely had a good offensive line. Romo magic was fun to watch as he ran for his life and created something out of nothing. I get disliking the Cowboys, I don't really care for them and I grew up around the team (Jerry Jones! again) but Romo should be held as a Cinderella story for other players to aspire towards. Sure he never won anything, but there isn't a QB alive that is going to win in that organization.

Romo was terrible in the booth during the Superbowl, I'll give you that.
The fact that you said disliking Romo is idiotic is ironically idiotic itself. To insinuate unironically afterwards that any opinion other than liking him is "wrong" is just plain wrong. Cool he can be tough and had a bad shake of things. Still don't like him. Cinderella story and Jerry Jones deez nuuuuuuuuuts. YA BOI

bender

What time is it?
The fact that you said disliking Romo is idiotic is ironically idiotic itself. To insinuate unironically afterwards that any opinion other than liking him is "wrong" is just plain wrong. Cool he can be tough and had a bad shake of things. Still don't like him. Cinderella story and Jerry Jones deez nuuuuuuuuuts. YA BOI

It's okay to be wrong.

Lunarorbit

His ability to read defenses at the line of scrimmage is a huge asset. He studies a ton and this helps him be prepared when he takes the field.

He's really seen everything at this point. The only sure fire way to beat him is pressure up the middle without blitzing. Tom is very elusive but most of it is north to south so if there are big dline men in the way it fucks up his passing lanes and the area that he steps up to throw in is crowded.

bender

What time is it?
I love you despite you projecting and your trash ESPN take in this thread.

Not projecting but speaking of that, considering your dislike is formulated by media narrative, "trash take" certainly is curious. My mothers always said rather than calling out someone's idiocy, to just say "bless your heart." I should have heeded that advice. Bless your heart. Appreciate the love though and if this cold metal frame of mine could feel love, I'm sure you'd be at the top of the list for reciprocation.

It's not arrogance that makes him great. It's humility. Brady knows his limitations. Not an easy thing at a position where self confidence is required above all other positions in all of sports. Quarterbacks get in trouble when they try to force passes into small zones or throw deeper than their actual arm strength allows. Some quarterbacks get in trouble thinking they can out-run or out-quick an entire defense. Not Brady. He makes HIS throws or he throws the ball away.

How does he know his limitations? Study. Relentless study of himself and self reflection. Knowing his teammates and their limitations.

Instead of focusing on the limitations of the defense, he begins with his own limitations.

Pagusas

Elden Member
He’s the Batman of the sports world. Preparation is his strength. He can beat all the other super heros

Last edited:

bigsnack

It's not arrogance that makes him great. It's humility. Brady knows his limitations. Not an easy thing at a position where self confidence is required above all other positions in all of sports. Quarterbacks get in trouble when they try to force passes into small zones or throw deeper than their actual arm strength allows. Some quarterbacks get in trouble thinking they can out-run or out-quick an entire defense. Not Brady. He makes HIS throws or he throws the ball away.

How does he know his limitations? Study. Relentless study of himself and self reflection. Knowing his teammates and their limitations.

Instead of focusing on the limitations of the defense, he begins with his own limitations.
I think this is the most realistic answer. He knows his limitations, and also has very good awareness of who is near him and if he can make the play. If he’s out of time he throws it away or just takes the sack. He doesn’t seem to get smashed with his throwing arm up in the air preparing for a throw he doesn’t have time for.

How does Manning get put into a “more raw skill” group? The dude is one of the least athletic QBs of all time. His arm wasn’t very strong, he couldn’t move and he wasn’t physically imposing. Hell, he and Brady are very similar in that sense.

Playing QB is so much more than just being physically gifted. My favorite team, the Redskins/WFT, had RG3 who was extremely physically gifted but he couldn’t see the whole field so his play suffered greatly when he decided he wanted to be a pocket passer. Brady on the other hand has what every great QB has, vision. He can see the whole field and he knows where everyone is going to be and he can manipulate the defense with his eyes. Sometimes the scouts just miss on a guy and that’s the case here. You have the occasional mid rounder who ends up being pretty good I.e. Prescott, Cousins, Russell Wilson but Brady is a total outlier.

But there are other players like this with the same work rate and mentality (you mention Rodgers) and yet no one has ever come close to Brady's success at any position.

My theory:
He was fortunate to land on a team with a great coach and benefitted from a couple lucky breaks early in his career to win a Super Bowl. (The tuck rule.) He was not the reason that team won the Super Bowl, though he contributed well.

This gave him the self-belief from his very first season to know that he could - and SHOULD - be winning Super Bowls every year. And he threw everything he had into making that a reality. It also gave him the authority to demand more of his team mates, especially after three rings in his first four years. "I'm a champion, I know how to win - do what I tell you."

And the team then believes it's going to win, because it's best player and leader always wins. It trusts him. And then it starts affecting the opposition. And they start making mental errors because they're trying to hard because they believe that Brady will score if he has to.

tl;dr - Success very early in his career due to circumstances (as well as his own quality play) set him up with the self belief and authority to take teams further than they'd ever been taken.

And I say the "fortunate" stuff not to downplay what he has achieved, his talent or work-rate, but just to note that no-one could have had this utterly insane level of success without landing in a good spot early on.

Before Brady, Belichick had one season over .500 out of six. After that he never went under .500 again until Brady left for Tampa. Belichick is a good coach, Brady is the best ever.

Ballthyrm

He reminds me of Zinedine Zidane a lot.

Not the most athletic, nor the most impressive player on the pitch, but able to read the game a lot better than anyone else.
Pick the best player to lean on and the right strategy to win.

Immense work ethic and understanding of the game.
Expect people to work just as hard as him and hardest on himself over all others.

I expect Tom brady to be one hell of a coach one day, just like Zidane is.

Last edited:

Halcyon

He's not the 'most' gifted but he's still got a rifle for an arm and the best mechanics you can have for playing the position in the pocket.

He's stupid amounts of clutch and generally knows more about football than everyone else he's playing.

DESTROYA

Raw skill only takes you so far and to say Brady has less raw skill is just plain stupid.
He has done everything a QB can do and holds just about every record .
He might not be able to run like those other guys but to say there are quarterbacks that throw harder, farther, more accurate than Tom is not true at all.
In his Prime he could do all those just as good if not better than the ones you mentioned.
He is dedicated to his craft more than any other player we have ever seen , it’s his mentality and preparation that is light years ahead of those raw skilled guys.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I remember hearing a while back that it is nightmarish how quick and thorough his reads are. He is one of the fastest in league history.

Raw skill only takes you so far and to say Brady has less raw skill is just plain stupid.
He has done everything a QB can do and holds just about every record .
He might not be able to run like those other guys but to say there are quarterbacks that throw harder, farther, more accurate than Tom is not true at all.
In his Prime he could do all those just as good if not better than the ones you mentioned.
He is dedicated to his craft more than any other player we have ever seen , it’s his mentality and preparation that is light years ahead of those raw skilled guys.

He does have less raw skill. He doesn’t have as big an arm or accuracy or mobility. But that doesn’t mean that his raw skill is dogshit. He’s got great raw skills. Just not as great as some other QBs.

Last edited by a moderator:

DESTROYA

You sure about that dumbass ?

As Shook noted, Brady had an expected completion rate of 31.4% on all his deep passes but he actually completed 38.9% of them. That's a positive difference of 7.5 percentage points; the only quarterbacks who had a higher positive difference were Dallas's Dak Prescott (+13.4), Wilson, naturally (+12.8) and Kansas City's Patrick Mahomes (+9.0).
Overall Brady threw seven touchdown passes and two interceptions on deep passes, helping produce a passer rating of 107.6.
Rounding out the top in this category were Kyler Murray (+6.6), Deshaun Watson (+6.6), Kirk Cousins (+6.4), Ryan Fitzpatrick (+5.4), Matt Ryan (+5.3) and Baker Mayfield (+3.9). Among those 10 passers, Brady faced some of the most difficult circumstances in trying to connect on deep throws.

According to Pro Football Focus, which looked at quarterback accuracy based on the separation of their receivers in 2018, the 41-year-old quarterback was among the league's most pinpoint passers.

On throws to "open" targets -- two steps or more of separation, per PFF -- Brady was the third-most accurate quarterback in the league, with 78 percent of his throws deemed accurate. That trailed only Ben Roethlisberger (78.2 percent) and Philip Rivers (78.7 percent). It tied him with Drew Brees.

PFF also noted that 17.6 percent of Brady's throws to open targets received an "accuracy plus" designation, accurate throws away from coverage, which led all quarterbacks.
Yeah so much less skilled , you really showed me :pie_eyeroll:

Top Bottom