• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What modern historical epic has the best battle scenes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edmond Dantès;34244415 said:
We need a historical epic set during the fall of the Byzantine Empire. The fall of Constantinople in 1453 would be a great battle to depict on the big screen. In fact another film during the Crusader era would be more than welcome, specifically the Third or Seventh Crusade.

Frankly I'm tired of Euro-Christian-centric historical epics. When do we get the story from the other sides?

yacobod

Banned
did you watch the documentary? it's so much better than the usual banal studio produced behind-the-scenes stuff we normally get. the access you get on this one is unparalleled. Stone's son shot it all himself and it was basically just him hanging around set next to his dad picking up EVERYTHING that was going on around him. He also makes it a kind of love letter to his father and his career. Really moving stuff and worth seeing for anybody who is a fan of stone's work or filmmaking in general. Stone and Farrel seemed to have gotten along really really well. Stone loved him

no i haven't but i may check it out sometime in the future.

teruterubozu said:
Frankly I'm tired of Christian-centric historical epics. When do we get the story from the other sides?

well the fine mel gibson, directed this excellent movie called Apocalypto, you should check it out.

he was also supposed to make this bad ass Viking movie, so that would have been fantastic before he got blacklisted in Hollywood :/

coldvein

Banned
How about Return of the King?

you mean with the green ghost mob rolling over everyone to win the battle? yeah, that was sweet.

my vote: gladiator.
the roman army lighting shit up like star wars was awesome. and historically accurate as far as i know..

JB1981

no i haven't but i may check it out sometime in the future.

well the fine mel gibson, directed this excellent movie called Apocalypto, you should check it out.

he was also supposed to make this bad ass Viking movie, so that would have been fantastic before he got blacklisted in Hollywood :/

didn't stop him from making passion of the christ... did hollywood fund that movie or did he get it from various sources? would fucking love to see a gibson viking epic.

Tenks

seems there are a lot of mistakes in gladiator. after the battle of germania you can see a horsemaster in blue jeans walking one of the horses off set

mA4So.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Frankly I'm tired of Christian-centric historical epics. When do we get the story from the other sides?
I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I don't think Hollywood would be willing to take the risk, considering the potential controversy it may cause to focus solely on the Ottomans or Muslims.

I like Braveheart but the Battle of Stirling Bridge (where was the bridge?) in the movie was ridiculous. The English commanders decide to send their cavalry alone at an army of infantry 10-15 men deep and just assume the Scottish light cavalry is fleeing. Even assuming the army is made up of rabble that's just stupid.

Gladiator probably gets my vote. Infantry line attack from the front, horse from the rear.

Mashing

I was thinking there are not enough civil war or revolutionary war movies. It's odd how neglected those periods are in American cinema.

As for this thread, I have to go with Braveheart. In my top 3 favorite movies for sure.

Edmond Dantès;34244623 said:
I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I don't think Hollywood would be willing to take the risk, considering the potential controversy it may cause to focus solely on the Ottomans or Muslims.
There have been incredible generals and military tacticians, on the scale of Alexander, on the Muslims/Arabs/Ottomans' side. But no one really cares. For example:

Khalid Ibn Walid

Khalid is said to have fought around a hundred battles, both major battles and minor skirmishes as well as single duels, during his military career. Having remained undefeated, this fact makes him one of the finest military generals in history.[116]

And

Khalid on his deathbed

I fought in so many battles seeking martyrdom that there is no place in my body but have a stabbing scar by a spear, a sword or a dagger, and yet here I am, dying on my bed like an old camel dies. May the eyes of the cowards never sleep.[115]
—Khalid ibn Walid

Edmond Dantès;34244415 said:
We need a historical epic set during the fall of the Byzantine Empire. The fall of Constantinople in 1453 would be a great battle to depict on the big screen. In fact another film during the Crusader era would be more than welcome, specifically the Third or Seventh Crusade.

The crusades are easily my favorite time period of history I'd love to see more. As the other poster mentioned it would be cool to see a more Muslim-centred version. Show the Muslims as the Patriots. Though I don't think you'd get a Hollywood study to back something like that. Kingdom of Heaven touched on it but it was still through Christian eyes

The DC is rated R, unlike the PG13 theatrical cut. The battles are definitely more violent.
Both were R.

There have been incredible generals and military tacticians, on the scale of Alexander, on the Muslims/Arabs/Ottomans' side. But no one really cares. For example:

Khalid Ibn Walid

And

Khalid on his deathbed
It does suck. But hollywood is a business like anyother and to do any of those justice it'd take a lot of money and be a risk and hollywood now more than every seems very risk adverse. I think the best chance for those type of movies is going to be Muslim countries financing them.

Speaking of that why don't some of the Gulf States get into the film business. I'd be great to see some Muslim figures on film and probably could break down some of the misunderstanding.

yacobod

Banned
I'd really think the best story dying to be made into a historical epic is something about Hannibal, Rome, Carthage, and the 2nd Punic War.

Crossing the Alps with the elephants, The Battle of Trebia, The Battle of Lake Trasimene, The Battle of Cannae, etc.

So epic if someone wanted to make it.

361px-Hannibal_Slodtz_Louvre_MR2093.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fantastic thread. Some of the films mentioned thus far I've seen recently enough to recall rather vividly (e.g. Gladiator, Troy, and Alexander), but I think it's about time I revisited Kingdom of Heaven and Braveheart, and I don't believe I've seen either The Last of the Mohicans or The Last Samurai. Actually, in regard to TLS, I can still bring to mind much of the "LOL, why the fuck is Tom Cruise in a samurai film?" internet vitriol surrounding its release, which is likely why I'd never felt compelled to watch it.

bonus pic:

vlcsnap-112510.jpg

I thought that was Stoya at first glance. (Don't GIS if you're at work. ;))

JaseC

I want to visit the alternate universe in which Gibson's Viking film was filmed and released without issue or stigma.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Fantastic thread. Some of the films mentioned thus far I've seen recently enough to recall rather vividly (e.g. Gladiator, Troy, and Alexander), but I think it's about time I revisited Kingdom of Heaven and Braveheart, and I don't believe I've seen either The Last of the Mohicans or The Last Samurai. Actually, in regard to TLS, I can still bring to mind much of the "LOL, why the fuck is Tom Cruise in a samurai film?" internet vitriol surrounding its release, which is likely why I'd never felt compelled to watch it.

I thought that was Stoya at first glance. (Don't GIS if you're at work. ;))
As mentioned above by RustyNails; The Last of the Mohicans is a great film even if it is missing a huge grandiose battle. Having read the novel, it is a good example of an adaptation surpassing the source material.

JaseC

Edmond Dantès;34245269 said:
As mentioned above by RustyNails; The Last of the Mohicans is a great film even if it is missing a huge grandiose battle. Having read the novel, it is a good example of an adaptation surpassing the source material.

High praise indeed! I'll have to get my hands on the novel; when I began expanding my BD collection, I also decided to return to reading and figured there was no better way to get back into the habit than reading the books upon which some films I own are based.

High praise indeed! I'll have to get my hands on the novel; when I began expanding my BD collection, I also decided to return to reading and figured there was no better way to get back into the habit than reading the books upon which some films I own are based.

From what I heard, Last of the Mohicans Blu ray (directors cut) is worse than the theatrical version, so I avoided it :(

jett

D-Member
anyone heard gabriel yared's rejected score for TROY? Pretty awesome stuff. WB fired him with 4 weeks left to release because screening audiences found the music dated the movie. tell me this shit doesn't sound like WAR!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/systemofanarchie#p/c/FD3C241F4149F184/0/2O007vSksRo

I once had the entire leaked soundtrack, lost it. :| I remember the theme for the ending credits was amazing, and that the music for the Achilles - Hector battle was clearly stolen by James Horner for his score, lolz.

Troy is a movie with many issues, mainly Brad Pitt proving beyond a shadow of doubt that pulling off a character like Maximus is not an easy thing to do. Man did that guy fucking suck as Achilles. Anyway, anyone who likes Troy you should check out the director's cut. It's not all that different but the restored gored and blood makes the battles much more satisfying.

bengraven

I really liked the use of overture and intermission on the DVD release, it was unfortunate that was all cut on the blu-ray.

Not even as a special feature? Ridiculous.

t5M6e.jpg

Braveheart for reals.

Reminds me of a story from the making of Braveheart. Mel Gibson was filming The Battle of Stirling Bridge in a field and a local came up and asked: "why aren't ye filming at the bridge?"

"Well, the bridge got in the way."

"Ya, that's what the English thought, too."

JB1981

I once had the entire leaked soundtrack, lost it. :| I remember the theme for the ending credits was amazing, and that the music for the Achilles - Hector battle was clearly stolen by James Horner for his score, lolz.

yes it was ---- http://www.youtube.com/user/systemofanarchie#p/c/FD3C241F4149F184/14/Uz3GMQKMoOg

- WB sucks. This score is right up there with the best the genre has to offer. horner talked mad shit about Yared too

… Gabriel didn’t have the experience to score big action movies …

.. Gabriel was not familiar with this big action movie thing Wolfgang wanted …
before they put the chorus on, they brought it to California to preview, the studio insisted on a preview …
… they played it for an audience in Sacramento, and the usual focus group …”
... the music is the worst they (test audience) had ever heard…

… they all said it’s horrible music, who did this music …
… I looked at the film and it was, I don’t even know how to describe it, how atrocious the music was. It was like a 1950’s Hercules movie.

… it was not because Gabriel isn’t a gifted writer, it’s because he doesn’t have any knowledge of writing film scores, real film scores like that, and it was like, it was so corny, it was unbelievable, it it and apparently made the audience laugh in places during serious scenes …”

… they both (W.Petersen and G. Yared) came up with a score that was absolutely dreadful, absolutely dreadful …

... (Gabriel Yared) going on his website saying he was cheated and short changed and they put his music in the film without the chorus and the chorus made the difference, and you know you say to yourself this guy just doesn’t get it. The chorus would have made it worse …

Well, this thread has pushed me over the edge to pick up KoH: DC BluRay this weekend. Saw it a while ago on the cheap but wasn't sure about it. I'm not too big on Orlando Bloom. If I happen to find Alexander's DC as well, I might grab it as well.

yacobod

Banned
mainly Brad Pitt proving beyond a shadow of doubt that pulling off a character like Maximus is not an easy thing to do. Man did that guy fucking suck as Achilles.

My thoughts exactly. Watching Pitt preen and squint for the cameras was laughably bad. If they had cast someone better opposite of Bana I think i would have liked Troy better.

and Kingdom of Heaven would be God-Tier if the Ridley and Russel bromance would have teamed up one more time. Fuck even Liam Neeson would have made sense. The real Bailan was a middle aged guy anyways. I think the PoTC guy really lacked the gravitas to make me believe he could actually inspire and rally the troops at the Siege of Jerusalem.

I don't think it's the best or even particularly great, but the battle in Cold Mountain where they are basically just slaughtering men in a pit was interesting from a historical perspective. Probably more than most movies it gave me a sense of what the American Civil War must have been like.

jett

D-Member
My thoughts exactly. Watching Pitt preen and squint for the cameras was laughably bad. If they had cast someone better opposite of Bana I think i would have liked Troy better.

and Kingdom of Heaven would be God-Tier if the Ridley and Russel bromance would have teamed up one more time. Fuck even Liam Neeson would have made sense. The real Bailan was a middle aged guy anyways. I think the PoTC guy really lacked the gravitas to make me believe he could actually inspire and rally the troops at the Siege of Jerusalem.

I remember losing all interest in the movie when Bana died, he was the only actor worth a damn in that production.

Kingdom of Heaven is god-tier to me as it is, Orlando Bloom's understated performance is fine, he wasn't forcing himself into acting like a badass at least...but yeah with a better actor the movie would be even better.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
This is literally the first (maybe second) time that I've actually agreed with you and you didn't piss me off with your negativity! *brofist?*

Kingdom of Heaven is, in my opinion, the most beautiful Ridley Scott film of the last decade and maybe even since the 80s. Not only is it beautifully shot, but it has my favorite score of the last decade as well. I ALWAYS sit through the entire intermission on the extended cut just to listen to the music.

You have no idea how excited I am for an excuse to post this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4TDVfzEcbM

Yea the soundtrack is amazing as is the DC.

When I was playing Oblivion I would put the KoH soundtracks files into my Oblivion sound folder.

JB1981

Troy is a movie with many issues, mainly Brad Pitt proving beyond a shadow of doubt that pulling off a character like Maximus is not an easy thing to do. Man did that guy fucking suck as Achilles. Anyway, anyone who likes Troy you should check out the director's cut. It's not all that different but the restored gored and blood makes the battles much more satisfying.

Yes I agree. Eric Bana almost saves the movie for me. I kind of like Troy even though I know it could have been more and the movie seems very confused about who its heroes are and how to end the movie in any dramatically satisfying fashion. If the DC restored Yared's score I would have been so happy. For some fucking weird reason, Petersen ruined the Achilles-Hector showdown by re-mixing it to Danny Elfman's Planet of the Apes score. I mean, really, what the fuck.

aristotle

I don't think it's the best or even particularly great, but the battle in Cold Mountain where they are basically just slaughtering men in a pit was interesting from a historical perspective. Probably more than most movies it gave me a sense of what the American Civil War must have been like.

The Patriot gets a nod from me. For some reason I never thought of cannonballs much before since all the movies I saw them in were old pirate/swashbuckling ones where a cannon exploded and a part of the ship crunched. The cannonballs in Patriot were extremely brutal.

rogue74

I think Saving Private Ryan has the best battle scene ever put to film.

I am unclear if it qualifies for this thread. Does the OP define 'historical' as sword and sandals and the like?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

Yes, Kingdom of Heaven DC is a magnificent film in spite of Orlando Bloom, he was severely lacking the gravitas and talent to portray Balian of Ibelin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom