• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What name will Nintendo give to their next console?

How will Nintendo name their next console?

• Switch 2

• Switch *something*

• New name

Results are only viewable after voting.

.Pennywise

Banned
There's only 3 options here.

Either they name it Switch 2 trying to capitalize on Switch's success, or even Switch *something*, like Switch Advanced, and risking their new console being atached to the previous one ala Wii U fiasco where the average joe didn't even know that it was a new console rather than an upgraded version.

Or they just give it a new name.

What's your bet?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Super Wii U

my_body_is_ready.png

With the massive marketing success they have had with the Switch name and snap sound effect, it's hard to say what they are cooking up. So I'll go with Nintendo Anywhere.

KàIRóS

Switch 2 is very unlikely because they've never numbered their consoles and they would receive backlash from sonybots for following the playstation numbering trend.

A completely new name would also be a bad move from a marketing perspective, at this point everyone and their mother know what "Switch" means.

Switch "something" seems to me like the most likely one, they could also use nostalgic naming like some others have suggested "New" "Super" for even better marketing.

Tams

I think 'Switch _____' could work.

Numbers obviously work, as 'biggger number = better' and pretty everyone understands that. It's incredibly bland though.

Other terms have worked. No one confused a GameBoy Advance with a GameBoy Color, Pocket or the OG. Xbox Series X is clunky, but people do understand it.

The issue with the Wii U was mostly that they so heavily promoted the Gamepad that it looked like it was just an accessory. They hid away the actual console in some cases. Then, the only single letter differentiating it from the Wii became an issue.

TLZ

Banned
If they keep the Switch functionality, I believe it's either going to be New Switch or Super Switch. Super Switch makes more sense.

The 'Nintendo U Play'

Because U play. Your games.

The pack-in game will be 'U Play Sports'. Will cause mass confusion.

Because they aren't just going to call it Switch 2, or Super Switch, or Mega Switch, or Switch Series X, because that would make sense.

Last edited:
Super Switch would be cool but unlikely. Nintendo really paints themselves into corners with their console names and marketing. Only Sony does it right. Granted, Sony doesn't really go off the rails and innovate like Nintendo does. Every PlayStation is just a more powerful and capable version of the one before it.

For all we know the new Nintendo system has to plug into your anus, have a head mounted laser, and be called the Nintendo GameDoo.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Probably super switch or ultra switch, but they should just call it Nintendorammadamma. The name you could never forget. Or my favorite, the Duckstation. I'm still a little bitter about that duck hunt game though......

Last edited:
Just keep it simple and go with 2 if Nintendo is still going with the Switch line and they should considering it's a worldwide seller. Don't be stupid and call it Switch U, New Nintendo Switch, Switch Advance, or something ridiculous.

The Iphone and Playstation keeps it simple by going with a numbered sequel where everyone understands that the new hardware is better, newer, and more powerful.

TransTrender

Gold Member
The New Nintendo Switch Wii-U 2 Electric Boogaloo One X Series X Live! for Windows All in One Entertainment Console TV Origin EA for Sports

Top Bottom