• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Pokemon do you think could make for good regional variants?

It's safe to say with the upcoming Sun/Moon that the Alola forms of previous Pokemon have generated a fair amount of buzz, a great way to add variety and options to a playthorugh using tweaked versions of classic designs while sidestepping the more polarizing and limited Mega Evolution angle.

This seems like one angle Gamefreak would continue with in future generations and while thus far it's been a Gen 1 bonanza for these alternative forms there's a ton of potential in the future and maybe more surprises to come within the Alola Dex.

In any case I'm going to shine a light on a pokemon from each generation that I feel could make good candidates for a regional variant.

Gen 1: Primeape
Type: Electric/Fighting

f81RH.png
Vg7i2IC.png

Might as well tackle my mighty bias here seeing that the original series ape looks to be maintaining his standard style for Sun/Moon.
So Primeape is a raging primate and that reminds me of this one other (mostly) pocket related monster from another series, that being the Monster Hunter series Rajang, a creature resmebling an ape that's notable for exploding into an electrical fury when enraged.
In this case I'm thinking you could make a fun nod to the Rajang with Primeape, its zig zaggy fur pattern already lends itself to the electric type exaggeration and the typing in general still hasn't been touched by the series.

Gen 2: Noctowl
Type: Ice/Flying

wXO7BoJ.png
idYlUWV.jpg

Yeah yeah, it's a typing that gets wrecked and all but a Snowy Owl Hoothoot that maybe takes in a Great Grey Owl angle for Noctowl seems like a suitable choice to add flavour to a snowy area of an upcoming region.
Plus surely you can see that Noctowl brow being all solid ice like.

Gen 3: Spoink
Type: Ground
yEWGFfT.png
bukDeUE.jpg

Hey another pig, well the series has a surprisingly high amount yet only Piloswine really gets close to that "wallows in mud" angle.
Time to fix that, A spoink that uses its spring coil to slosh and splash in flithy mud and whose pearly is replaced by a flingable mud ball.
Plus considering that its evo Grumpig is considered a pretty ugly pokemon by most folks standards you might as well just filth it up and embrace the hideous mucky nature.

Gen 4: Cherubi
Type: Poison/Fairy

IWN93e7.png
Pl6bTzM.jpg

What happens if those cherries just aren't good for you? well it probably wouldn't be great for your stomach.
In general the Cherubi/Cherrim line has that kinda fairy like vibe going for it, upon evolving this one wouldn't need the sunlight either opening the door for a design that could draw from both Cherrim's forms and also just try and make it not completely useless

Gen 5: Durant
Type: Bug/Fire

QuMhO30.png
nsKy5P0.jpg

Years of being stalked by its natural predator Heatmor led to some future regions Durants having just about enough of things and countering by becoming literal fire ants themselves, you could say this evolutionary path was a slow burn, hohoho

Gen 6: Hawlucha
Dark/Fighting

CpNdYFj.png
i1nZt1E.jpg

BAH GAWD, IT'S A HEEL TURN, WHY HAWLUCHA?! TELL ME WHY?!
The kind of Hawlucha who cares not for lucha libre honour and would rather wallop you with a steel chair from behind via fling. I'd also have this one incorporate an angle I'd have liked the original Hawlucha to have which is randomised mask patterns.

Post your ideas!
First person to do this with an Eevee evo gets banned...if I had the power to do so

Love the ideas. Just one - for now - from me:

Growlithe and Arcanine: Fire/Electric
Despite being 'canines' both of these Pokemon have a lot in common with a lion - because of the massive mane mostly - but Arcanine also has distinct 'streaks' across him which, if accentuated, could make a great design for an electric Pokemon. I'd keep the fire typing as no other Pokemon save for one of Rotom's formes has this typing and he'd still have the badass mane and make him look like a mix of a Tiger and Lion whilst also still being a dog because it's Pokemon.
Also this typing would kill his RBG 'rival' Ninetails.

DrArchon

Reading through the OP again and seeing the Rajang got me to think of another MH-style variant for a Gen 1 Pokemon.

gyarados.jpg

Abyssal Lagiacrus is a Monster Hunter monster that lives super deep down in the darkest parts of the ocean, so what if there was a Gyrados variant that also lived in the sunless parts of the deep sea? I'm imagining it also being bio-luminescent and maybe electric just because I love Lagiacrus.

Or it could be Water/Dark and more like a big gulper eel with a huge mouth. Gyrados already gets a variety of bit based attacks.

Jakoo

I think Jynx as a Hula Dancer, Grass/Psychic type, makes way too much sense to not include for Sun/Moon.

They already have a move called Petal Dance!

woopWOOP

Everything!

..I mean they don't even have to be major variants with different types, just visual ones. Seeing all old Pokemon adapting to all the different climates, even slightly, would be dang neat and refreshing enough for me.

Which is why I hope the usual cave/ocean grunts like Geodude, Zubat and Tentacool get some variants in the future (ironically all gen1 too, lol)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
On another site I've been having fun doing a fake Generation VIII Dex inspired by Texas, and in my mind I feel like for the foreseeable future Game Freak will give variants each new Generation corresponding to the last 20th anniversary---this time is Kanto, so next time is Johto, so I imagined various Johto Pokemon adapting to the Texas-inspired Region which is rather rough and wild.

Like they seem to be doing with Alola variants I had rules for candidates: couldn't have obtained a post-gen evolution (Baby Pokemon are okay) or a Mega Pokemon. Though we don't know how the BST of the Alola variants will work, for me my rules was they'd have the same BST as the originals but with the numbers rearranged. I've thought of a few so far...my idea for the Region was the "Grande Region", so they'd be "Grande Variants".

* Grande Hoothoot/Grande Noctowl.

Ground/Flying inspired by the burrowing owl, its Psychic powers have disappeared in favor of a smaller and sleeker body and being faster and stronger. Instead of the clock hands Grande Hoothoot's eyebrows resemble spades, and upon evolving Grande Noctowl's horns are used like drills to dive headfirst into the ground. Their time keeping powers are present but to a lesser extent, Grande Hoothoot blinks every second to keep sand out of its eyes (thus it can be used as a stopwatch) and Noctowl will rotate its head around vertically like a clock to digest a meal which takes exactly one minute.

Grande Hoothoot's Stats
BST: 262
HP: 50
Attack: 56
Defense: 36
Special Attack: 30
Special Defense: 30
Speed: 60

Grande Noctowl's Stats
BST: 442
HP: 76
Attack: 96
Defense: 70
Special Attack: 50
Special Defense: 50
Speed: 100

They'd trade Insomnia for Early Bird, which I was thinking would have a new effect where upon waking up they'd gain a boost in Speed. Also their Hidden Ability is Adaptability, so they'd be pretty tough with increased STAB and decent Speed.

-----

* Grande Pineco/Grande Forretress

Normal Pokemon who have forgotten they're a Bug-type, it was chased from its piney homeland by a Pokemon that preys on it and fled to human settlements---now it inhabits barrels, particularly those filled with gunpowder that it seems to love as a snack. Thus it is still highly explosive! So, imagine a barrel with Pineco eyes. Grande Forretress is a barrel turned on its side that is breaking apart with Forretress' eyes popping out, and has little gun-like protrusions from the side.

Grande Pineco's Stats
BST: 290
HP: 35
Attack: 65
Defense: 50
Special Attack: 35
Special Defense: 15
Speed: 90

Grande Forretress' Stats
BST: 465
HP: 60
Attack: 90
Defense: 75
Special Attack: 60
Special Defense: 40
Speed: 140

The gimmick behind these two is that they'd have a new Ability, Shrapnel, which causes them to set a layer of spikes when they faint---even when they faint from their own Explosion. Because they can roll like a barrel they're far faster than the regular Pineco and Forretress, and quite fragile, and thus the best strategy for them is to quickly use Explosion (now they get Normal STAB from it), doing a lot of damage and with Shrapnel setting a layer of spikes to punish the next Pokemon entering the fight. Alternatively their Hidden Ability Scrappy allows them to use STAB Explosion on Ghost-type Pokemon.

----

* Grande Sudowoodo

Steel-type. In the Battle Frontier series of the anime there was an episode about a faux-gold Sudoowoodo, which I thought would be a neat idea for an actual variant. As the Grande Region has a lot of desert areas, Sudowoodo was unable to blend in as a tree so decided to try and pretend to be a cactus (my original idea for Grande Sudowoodo), but that proved a bad idea as many Pokemon live in or eat cacti. So it instead went to a now-abandoned gold mine and a mutation occurred, Sudowoodo's body turning solid gold as instead of hiding from the world it wishes to impress them and thus is always posing. The gold will temporarily fade if Sudowoodo is splashed with water, thus it's still pretty worthless as it isn't true gold.

Grande Sudowoodo Stats
BST: 410
HP: 65
Attack: 70
Defense: 115
Special Attack: 30
Special Defense: 100
Speed: 30

Though slower and less offensive, Grande Sudowoodo is very durable in terms of its bulk now both physically and special. It can have Dazzling or Wonder Skin, with the former working in tandem with a new Signature Move called "Gold Rush", a Steel-type move as strong as Extreme Speed and gives additional money like Pay Day. Dazzling prevents other Pokemon's priority moves from working meaning Gold Rush will always go first.

Top Bottom