• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What potential Sony hardware development has you the most excited this year?

What potential Sony hardware development has you the most excited this year?

• PS5 Pro launch

• PS5 Price Drop

• PSVR2 Price Drop

• Pulse Elite Wireless Headset

• PS Portal Cloud Support

Results are only viewable after voting.

PeteBull

Obviously ps5pr0, even casuals would chose that option, not to mention here on this forum where most of us are more or less tech nerds :p

Last edited:
I can’t wait that long. They need to launch something based off the Z2 extreme to keep me happy. Native PS4 library support and ports of PS5 and XBS and Switch 2 games.

I think if the pandemic hadn't happened AND if the PS4 had been built for an SSD rather than an HDD, then maybe you could look at weak PS4 ports running on a Z2 Extreme.

That boat passed.

You basically, have to sell the device for at least 40-50 dollars profit and you have to hope it really spurs on additional software sales as well as greater engagement on PlayStation and PS+.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sony and AMD are already working on it. I could imagine it releasing in 2026-2028. It would probably give the PS5 game development cycle extended for an extra 5-7 years. So you're looking at 12-14 years of PS5 games and PS5 game sales.

I see zero chance they don't do this.

Godot25

Banned
I really doubt that Sony will lower the price of PS5. There is no reason to do that and cut their margins. They are still outselling Series X pretty heavily eve with current price.
PS5 Pro will be interesting piece of hardware but it has no use for me because my PS5 is plenty enough for first-party games and I play multiplats on Series X.

So for me most interesting HW development this year for Sony will be PS VR2. Sales started pretty decently, but thy fall flat and they are probably even behind PSVR. So this year will be the key. If Sony won't support device with excellent first-party VR games, than I doubt sales will pick up and this will be probably last generation of VR device from Sony.

none of the choices get me excited.
PS5 price seems fair, especially with some sales that happened, much earlier than I expected after the price increase. Matters to people who are still on the fence.
The headset seems okay for its price, but nothing extraordinare any other wireless headset could not do.
I might look into Portal if it would do more than just be a wii-u Tablet.
PSVR2 needs more than just a price drop to be interesting.
Pro launch... I don't know. For now I consider the PS5 still a PS4 ProPro or ProMax, 4Pro games with the benefit of load times, so not sure what a selling point of a 5Pro would even be. RT seems not really ready yet, 8k even less, so I have to see an argument what it offers to make it an irresistable replacement for the regular PS5.

sachos

PS5 Pro, i really want to see how far can they push RT performance and i really hope they have something like in house DLSS, that is a must imo. Also curious to see if the rumoured 4+ GHz Zen 2 CPU is enough to iron out CPU heavy games performance issues.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I’ll look at a PS5 Pro as soon as they start making all their games for PS5 baseline. Still too many coming out at PS4 baseline.

Otherwise I’ll stick with my perfectly good PS5.

simpatico

The handheld might be cool if I didn't have to own a PS5. Bonus points if there's a gamepass like subscription model.

hinch7

Not personally interested in buying one.. but looking forward to the PS5 Pro release. And seeing how it will perform with its custom RDNA 3 GPU; with RT especially. And if the rumors for its own Ai upscaling solution is true, how it stacks up against DLSS, FSR and XeSS. New hardware/consoles launches are always exciting.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Not sure why you're laughing.

If it comes, I'm gonna buy it day 1. So there's no loss for me.
It will come 4sure, just dont expect official announcement anytime soon, coz it would make base ps5 sales drop badly, sony isnt stupid, will wait till 2nd half of 2024 with announcement like they did with ps4pr0 in 2016

Killjoy-NL

It will come 4sure, just dont expect official announcement anytime soon, coz it would make base ps5 sales drop badly, sony isnt stupid, will wait till 2nd half of 2024 with announcement like they did with ps4pr0 in 2016
Only ~10% of the PS4 installbase bought a PS4 Pro, most probably double-dipped.
It'll be fine. Casuals don't care too much about the performance-boost.

But you're right though, they'll announce it closer to release if it exists.

PeteBull

Only ~10% of the PS4 installbase bought a PS4 Pro, most probably double-dipped.
It'll be fine. Casuals don't care too much about the performance-boost.

But you're right though, they'll announce it closer to release if it exists.
14,1m bought it, so from the time it was released it was bit over 20% of all sold ps4, and yup, most casuals wont care, but from ps5pr0 customers, huge majority will be hardcore gamers who spend on games not 2x 60-70$/year for duty and fifa/madden/nba2k, we actually buy games all the time, majority of us over 10/year, so to keep us in sony ecosystem is big win :)

Killjoy-NL

14,1m bought it, so from the time it was released it was bit over 20% of all sold ps4, and yup, most casuals wont care, but from ps5pr0 customers, huge majority will be hardcore gamers who spend on games not 2x 60-70$/year for duty and fifa/madden/nba2k, we actually buy games all the time, majority of us over 10/year, so to keep us in sony ecosystem is big win :)
That vast majority you're speaking of won't leave Sony anyway.

Top Bottom