• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What previous generation would you like to see a renaissance of but with today's features?

Hey GAF, what generation would you like to see a resurgence of but with today's features? I'd love to see the 7th gen's design ethos that was linear based and felt like a complete package with great single and local/online multiplayer options return with gyro aiming and today's graphics. What about you GAF?

PS360 up till now is anyway practically the same- and includes the best sidescrollers and whatnot. Anything before these gens is outdated garbage in most regards. So no thanks.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'd like to see the resurgence of B games. PS2 era had some great one-off titles for less than the price of a full game, solid games that were enjoyable for what they were without trying to be part of something bigger.

Think Kena, but better.

acm2000

yIbt2dx.jpg

imagine this with full path traced ray tracing, current gen consoles might actually even be able to run it native 4k

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Co-op... this is more than prior gen7 but I miss games where they didn't give a shit about "lore" and "story" reasons for co-op. I'd say the PS2/xbox/gc gen was best for this

It was usually just a reskinned main character and the game progressed just like it does in solo.

With all the advancements in online connectivity and consoles that are always connected it's crazy that we only either get extreme massive multiplayer pvp or nothing (barring some exceptions) like just make spiderman co-op, I don't need an in world reason just let me and a mate beat fools up and swing around together

This is why wildlands is secretly one of the best games last gen, it's scary how perfect ubisoft nailed drop in drop out untethered coop with that game

Last edited:
5th and 6th gen. I cant really decide between the two. I think we actually are seeing a resurgence of them in the indy world - they are realistically feasible for indy teams to create.

Fuz

Banned
yIbt2dx.jpg

imagine this with full path traced ray tracing, current gen consoles might actually even be able to run it native 4k
I may have played this on the C=64 as a kid.
I love the aesthetic of the Speccy and its weird colors.

Co-op... this is more than prior gen7 but I miss games where they didn't give a shit about "lore" and "story" reasons for co-op. I'd say the PS2/xbox/gc gen was best for this

It was usually just a reskinned main character and the game progressed just like it does in solo.

With all the advancements in online connectivity and consoles that are always connected it's crazy that we only either get extreme massive multiplayer pvp or nothing (barring some exceptions) like just make spiderman co-op, I don't need an in world reason just let me and a mate beat fools up and swing around together

This is why wildlands is secretly one of the best games last gen, it's scary how perfect ubisoft nailed drop in drop out untethered coop with that game
Interesting! I'mma look it up now, Wildlands...

StueyDuck

Interesting! I'mma look it up now, Wildlands...
Ghost recon wildlands has the most ease of access co-op there is. Simply a case of you login, see your friend online and hit one button and join the game.

When you join you can each select different missions you are free to go off and do your own thing but when you select a mission it will pop-up on your friends screen and they can either agree to sync up the mission or carry on with their own thing, even better if the mission comes up as white it means you have already completed that objective but you can still join your friend and redo the mission.

It's honestly one of the best thought out co-op experiences there is, the only bummer is that when you die you have to bleed out, I don't think you can rush the count down, been a while since I've played.

Last edited:

Doczu

Genn 4 and 5 consoles with modern online capabilities, modern engine style development (instead of tilesets for gen 4), online storefronts with indies etc and having 4 controller ports from the get go.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
https://www.retrogames.cz/games/083/A26_01.gif

Ghost recon wildlands has the most ease of access co-op there is. Simply a case of you login, see your friend online and hit one button and join the game.

When you join you can each select different missions you are free to go off and do your own thing but when you select a mission it will pop-up on your friends screen and they can either agree to sync up the mission or carry on with their own thing, even better if the mission comes up as white it means you have already completed that objective but you can still join your friend and redo the mission.

It's honestly one of the best thought out co-op experiences there is, the only bummer is that when you die you have to bleed out, I don't think you can rush the count down, been a while since I've played.
Wildlands is one of the few games that I managed to play with more than 1 friend at the same time because it was so accessible. It's such a shame that they screwed up Breakpoint out of pure greed on microtransactions.

StueyDuck

https://www.retrogames.cz/games/083/A26_01.gif

Wildlands is one of the few games that I managed to play with more than 1 friend at the same time because it was so accessible. It's such a shame that they screwed up Breakpoint out of pure greed on microtransactions.
Breakpoint was such a fuck up... but I still put over 200 hours into it 🤣

They did some decent changes, Even adding a wildlands style campaign but the damage was already done.

Top Bottom