• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What segment are you looking forward to the most in FFVII's remake?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
In any of its three or more parts, also don't shitpost about it never coming out please.

Its actually the new stuff I'm most interested in. How much of midgar will we get to explore. Will we see more of the original nibelheim incident, will it incorporate it ignore crisis core?
This is a good point, too. Feel free to weigh in on how you think the scene or segment in question might/will/should/shouldn't change.

For me, simply out of morbid fascination, it has to be encountering Emerald Weapon underwater.

I legit could not play the original game knowing that thing was lurking down there. I handed off the controller to someone else to do all of the submarine segments as a kid. That was when it looked like this:

latest

The entire ocean segment of the game was very unsettling. It feels claustrophic and eerie from the get go, there's bizarre craters on the ocean floor, you can only see a few feet in front of you, and, of course, this green mofo is wandering around, always in a different location.

Now imagine it in modern 4K resolution. The ocean is dark, vast, just as unsettling as before. Only now, everything looks much more real. You know Emerald Weapon is there, somewhere. Always on the lookout, you are likely set off a few times by wandering monsters, who you can now see on the map. When you think you are safe, you hear him in the distance (I'm thinking an eerie mix between a mechanical groan and the groan of a large creature), but see nothing, putting you on edge again. Several moments pass. Suddenly, that underwater mountain in the distance lights up. It's not a mountain at all. It's Emerald Weapon, six times as large as your submarine, and he's coming right for you.

For reference, this was Ultima Weapon in FFXV: Kingsglaive. It's the closest thing we have to a Weapon from FFVII rendered in modern graphics.

Now imagine a similar beast chasing you underwater every time you're down there.

FFVII has a lot of creepier moments that will be amplified a lot in the remake, I think.

What segment are you looking forward to?

FinalAres

Its actually the new stuff I'm most interested in. How much of midgar will we get to explore. Will we see more of the original nibelheim incident, will it incorporate it ignore crisis core?

theofficefan99

Shinra Headquarters.

Also if the intro to the Motorcycle Chase isn't faithfully recreated in modern CGI I will be sorely disappointed

Laplasakos

Basically the whole game but if i had to pick some moments it would be Sector 7 Pillar and Shinra Infiltration.

Femto.

The meteor crash and exploring the affected areas by the crash.

The temple segment as well.

Also Cloud's flashbacks.

The motorcycle scene

Fuck it, everything.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Shinra Headquarters.

Also if the intro to the Motorcycle Chase isn't faithfully recreated in modern CGI I will be sorely disappointed
Shinra HQ will definitely be interesting. I wonder if they'll have some callbacks to Crisis Core/Before Crisis in there. Mentions of Hollander/Lazard/Veld and the other Turks and the like. It was always one of my favorite "dungeons" in an RPG and I look forward to seeing the disgruntled corporate employees again.

Mayer Domino's password game I can't see remaining the same. It was pretty obtuse. Who knows, though.

The escape segment will be amazing. I fully expect an updated motorcycle minigame.

Slater

Banned
Night under the Highwind with Cloud and Tifa, with full Visual Works CGI and the morning after.

Do it Nomura you panzy ALLL OFFF IITIITTT

SolVanderlyn

Yeah I want to see the part where you climb the slums up to the Shinra building
If they don't localize the "Golden Shiny Wire of Hope" line I will... be a very sad and disappointed consumer.

Hojo fight. The rain, the wind, the lack of music. Should be hype AF
Oh man, yes, I didn't even think about this. Vincent not being optional will also hopefully add a LOT of context/exposition to this scene. Anyone who brought him with them to this fight knows what I'm talking about.

Pantz

Curious to see what they will do with the world map, IF they do a world map. It would be pretty epic if it was full scale like FFXV.

sublimit

Banned
I don't know why but i loved the quiet atmosphere of all the small towns/villages in FFVII.I think Rocket Town was my favorite so i'm looking forward to see how they remake it and to explore it.

Fort Condor Battle to protect the Phoenix egg
Highwind taking flight & reveal of second Highwind form
Launch of the Rocket into space
Emerald Weapon fight

...But mostly looking forward to wasting time and gil at all the Gold Saucer arcade games.

Chocobo Racing, fighting Midgar Zolom, and Gelnika

Main story stuff? Looking forward to making a separate save file as soon as I leave Midgar so I never have to play that segment ever again.

SolVanderlyn

Palmer getting hit by a truck. I expect it in full CG. :p
...his character is going to be quite disturbing in realistic proportions.

I don't know why but i loved the quiet atmosphere of all the small towns/villages in FFVII.I think Rocket Town was my favorite so i'm looking forward to see how they remake it and to explore it.
I know what you mean. Kalm Town is one of my favorites. I even liked the Junon Slums. Those two are high on my list of anticipated visits. Maybe we'll even get to explore more of upper Junon?

BreakAtmo

There's so much in the way of creepy atmosphere that I want to see recreated, like in the Train Graveyard and the Shinra Mansion.

And yeah, seeing Jenova properly realised will be amazing, after all I've heard about he essentially being a take on The Thing.

Turin

Banned
It'd be nice to see some real dread and psychological fuckery employed to the game if they're willing and able to pull it off.

Mephala

I am oddly excited about Gold Saucer and mini games. I hope they remake some of the old ones like the snow boarding, the motorbike and such as well as adding some new ones.

GenericUser

I'm so cautious about this game that I can barely bring myself into anticipating anything from the remake. I have serious concerns that it will turn out to be quite underwhelming. I don't see how square is able to produce that much sheer content in the necessary quality that fans expect from the remake.

Even if they split the game into multiple parts.
FF15 was in the works how long (after tabata took over)? And they still only managed to put 1 (or one and a half if you want) cities in the game. The midgar parts of ff7 alone would be maybe 4 to 5 times of the size of this.

theofficefan99

Honestly I would definitely not count on SE keeping the creepy/unsettling atmosphere. Part of that came with the synthesized OST and the visual style, which won't be kept.

Mediking

I'm so cautious about this game that I can barely bring myself into anticipating anything from the remake. I have serious concerns that it will turn out to be quite underwhelming. I don't see how square is able to produce that much sheer content in the necessary quality that fans expect from the remake.

Even if they split the game into multiple parts.
FF15 was in the works how long (after tabata took over)? And they still only managed to put 1 (or one and a half if you want) cities in the game. The midgar parts of ff7 alone would be maybe 4 to 5 times of the size of this.

That's why its VITAL that Square Enix has SCALE for the game. Realistic goals. If you don't have scale aka clear direction in a game then that's how you have messed up design. That's ONE of the reasons FFXV is flawed... because it doesn't know what it wants to be.

OP doesn't wanna hear jokes about when FF7R will release but we seriously might not see it until 2020.

Isotropy

Make it open world in the sense that the PS1 FFs were open world - ie, an ultimately non-linear world map that you "unlock" in a mostly linear fashion.

FFVII has enough content as it is - it doesn't need a hundred hours of wandering in a not-Skyrim sandbox.

Obviously that frustrating and really long story telling experience in Calm that put like an hour of gameplay and about 3 cinematics between save points... in HD.

I know they fixed it in the PS3 re-release.

Really though, I just want to see how they change the environments with the bump from potato to glorious HD.

A-V-B

That moment where they could totally overload the story with a bunch of shit from Crisis Core, and then don't and it's balls to the wall classic FF7.

This will literally never happen.

Think it will be the disc 2 segment from where Tifa wakes up in junon, to the cloud rejoins the team section that I'm looking forward to most. that moment when Tifa first looks out the window in junon is awesome

Top Bottom