• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What someone in VR looks like when legit SHOOK.

remember this guy?

he's almost certainly faking it. why? idk just because lol. i read on wikipedia what happens when you're scared and it sure isn't that, nobody flops around like magikarp when they're actually scared in real life, it's science fact

but for real bro if this is your most hated thread then... welcome to your very first GAF VR thread! you're gonna have a great time here

lol at 1:43 when the girl gets frozen in a time stutter

Okada

The interrogation chamber is a great psychological exercise that can help you determine how you'd physiologically respond to frightening situations.

If you close your eyes and use headphones, you are LITERALLY in that chamber. I urge every last one of you to try it out and see how you react, and then come back here and tell me if the woman in that video is 'faking it'.

Sadly this did absolutely nothing for me and I REALLY wanted it to.

I don't know if you've been on youtube recently, but it's full of people absolutely freaking out in response to horror games, VR or no.

I would say if you're not familiar with horror games then this reaction isn't that surprising, yes VR is step up in terms of atmosphere but a lot of people respond in a way that appears quite shocked, vr or no.

Look, I'm sure VR is an incredible experience and I'm sure it will evoke a lot of genuine emotions. But this is the VR equivalent of a trailer reaction video. The overly theatrical reactions by people trying out a new technology who know they're on camera do not impress me.

Look, I'm sure VR is an incredible experience and I'm sure it will evoke a lot of genuine emotions. But this is the VR equivalent of a trailer reaction video. The overly theatrical reactions by people trying out a new technology who know they're on camera do not impress me.
I don't want to join in this discussion. But I just rolled my eyes in real life and wanted to mention that because you think who would ever roll their eyes for real

nillah

Banned
the chance of her tripping over the cord kept me shaking on my sit while watching this

dope as fuck though

That looked really fun.

I can't freakin' wait. I'm going to break so much stuff.

tumblr_n3muins73e1rzs29mo1_400.gif

they gonna have to put like a special label and warnings on horror games heh

This is for a non VR game, VR horror games will absolutely have to include disclaimers for things like this. Generally VR games will also need disclaimers for any kind of extreme nausea, and stuff you may knock over and break, personal injury because you can't see etc — if devs/publishers want to protect themselves from lawsuits.

They also may or may not need them for games that make you piss or shit your pants

This is for a non VR game, VR horror games will absolutely have to include disclaimers for things like this. Generally VR games will also need disclaimers for any kind of extreme nausea, and stuff you may knock over and break, personal injury because you can't see etc — if devs/publishers want to protect themselves from lawsuits.

They also may or may not need them for games that make you piss or shit your pants

I didn't even finish Outlast. I still have PT on my PS4 but haven't played it yet. But I enjoy "being in the game" too much. Things jumping out at me and chasing me are like NOPE fuel for me. Nope Oxide to boost my getaway engine.

SuperSah

Banned
Unfortunately, I have no way to experience VR so I'll not be able to understand - not for a long while anyway. :(

Can someone explain to me exactly how it feels? Is everything 3D? Can you tell distance from closeness? Does it really feel like you are there?!

Sadly this did absolutely nothing for me and I REALLY wanted it to.

Curious as to how literally I should be taking this statement.

Did you not feel uncomfortable when he whispered in your ear?

I'm not just talking about fear. I'm talking about physiological responses; 'feeling a presence behind you', tingling sensations, change in heart rate, etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Unfortunately, I have no way to experience VR so I'll not be able to understand - not for a long while anyway. :(

Can someone explain to me exactly how it feels? Is everything 3D? Can you tell distance from closeness? Does it really feel like you are there?!

Absolutely. Way back in 2013 when I got my oculus rift DK1, I played minecrift which was a mod to make minecraft work on the oculus rift. The resolution was terrible but when you were close up to blocks they felt crazily solid and real, like you could run your fingers over them.

Okada

Curious as to how literally I should be taking this statement.

Did you not feel uncomfortable when he whispered in your ear?

I'm not just talking about fear. I'm talking about physiological responses; 'feeling a presence behind you', tingling sensations, change in heart rate, etc.

I guess it just didn't sound real to me and I can't really tell you why. I don't know if it was the voice acting putting me off or something but honestly I felt very little (I did think the sound effects were well done though).

I'm obviously not immune to those sensations though. Horror games scare the hell out of me just from atmosphere alone. Even the awful ones.

SuperSah

Banned
Absolutely. Way back in 2013 when I got my oculus rift DK1, I played minecrift which was a mod to make minecraft work on the oculus rift. The resolution was terrible but when you were close up to blocks they felt crazily solid and real, like you could run your fingers over them.

Man, wish I could try this shit out. :/

Mar Nosso

Banned
Interaction with the environment seems to be very janky, but the IGN staffers video was awesome to watch! Would certainly enjoy giving Paranormal Activity VR a try.

rec0ded1

Nah. I still think people play it up due to being recorded. Gotta go viral brehs. I'll happily eat crow if a VR game makes me go into the fetal position.

I guess it just didn't sound real to me and I can't really tell you why. I don't know if it was the voice acting putting me off or something but honestly I felt very little (I did think the sound effects were well done though).

I'm obviously not immune to those sensations though. Horror games scare the hell out of me just from atmosphere alone. Even the awful ones.

Well that's interesting. Were you wearing headphones (that worked in both ears) and were your eyes closed?

Binaural effect only works in stereo, and your environment needs to match what you're hearing, otherwise the visual information overrides it, which is why it's best to keep your eyes closed.

Here's a worthwhile test. Can you tell the difference between the sound with the headphones on vs off? If you can't, I'd say that your experience would be very, very rare.

fred

I've seen plenty of people on YouTube freaking out playing Alien Isolation, Dreadhalls and Brookhaven. So many that they can't all be fake.

Now that people have VR headsets with visually no SDE, a higher resolution and decent 3D sound it's much easier for people to experience presence in VR.

There's a big difference between playing a 'flat' game and being INSIDE a game. I'm convinced that either Dreadhalls or Alien Isolation are going to be the cause of the first VR related death...and whilst it's going to be a tragedy for the person that dies and his friends and family it's actually going to be good both for VR and the game in question.

Man, wish I could try this shit out. :/

Get a Google Cardboard if you're desperate to try it out. People say it's shitty virtual reality and yet still it has managed to impress the hell out of me + anyone I've shown it to.

Alternatively, there are many Best Buy stores demoing the Samsung Gear VR. Also, PSVR demos are coming to Gamestop in June. So there are plenty of ways to check VR out.

Parapraxis

Clearly real, and clearly terrifying for that poor girl, I need to ask the wife and ask if she'd try it...I'm betting "hell no".

Nah. I still think people play it up due to being recorded. Gotta go viral brehs. I'll happily eat crow if a VR game makes me go into the fetal position.

Eat crow only if VR elicits the same reaction in you? That makes no sense, it's unlikely you'd react the same way, let alone to the point of hysteria like this girl clearly did.

I have to assume some people claiming this is "acted up" or even fake are just so young or sheltered that they've not had interactions with people in genuine distress/hysteria/mania.

Pimpbaa

I hope this shit is actually scary because no regular game has ever scared me before. Maybe because I love horror stuff too much that I'm totally desensitized to it. I find it totally baffling when someone is too scared to play something like Alien Isolation, Amnesia, or Soma. Not that I'm trying to brag about my lack of fear in such games, especially considering that I have a lot of real life fears that give me crippling anxiety.

I rolled my eyes at first. Then I tried a vive the other day. I don't blame her reactions now. Shit is legit. Can't wait to get mine.

Well that's interesting. Were you wearing headphones (that worked in both ears) and were your eyes closed?

Binaural effect only works in stereo, and your environment needs to match what you're hearing, otherwise the visual information overrides it, which is why it's best to keep your eyes closed.

Here's a worthwhile test. Can you tell the difference between the sound with the headphones on vs off? If you can't, I'd say that your experience would be very, very rare.

Did absolutely nothing for me either for what's it worth. It just sounded so unbelievably cheesy, if I had to guess I would say English was their second language (the quality/realism was that bad). To be clear, my brain was still interpolating the source of sounds, i.e., it sounded like they were walking around me, but in terms of a more substantive reaction nothing happened. Complete lack of tension.

Reallink

I hope this shit is actually scary because no regular game has ever scared me before. Maybe because I love horror stuff too much that I'm totally desensitized to it. I find it totally baffling when someone is too scared to play something like Alien Isolation, Amnesia, or Soma. Not that I'm trying to brag about my lack of fear in such games, especially considering that I have a lot of real life fears that give me crippling anxiety.

I'm the same way and unfortunately none of the current VR stuff is scary (especially Brookhaven, the game from the video). It's really fun thanks to the controls, but is basically a modern RE in terms of spook factor (which is the say almost none). Playing PT in pitch black, alone, late night is the only piece of media I've found legitimately scary in the past 15 years, and I've played/watched pretty much everything even loosely horror themed.

ReBirFh

i.e., it sounded like they were walking around me, but in terms of a more substantive reaction nothing happened.

But this is the main idea, I think. You were alone in you room but with your eyes closed and the Binaural sound, you "heard the people walking around you and had a general idea if the sound was far or getting closer.

This, combined with visual feedback and after you're absorbed in the game might be enough to make people feel fear in a horror game.

But this is the main idea, I think. You were alone in you room but with your eyes closed and the Binaural sound, you "heard the people walking around you and had a general idea if the sound was far or getting closer.

This, combined with visual feedback and after you're absorbed in the game might be enough to make people feel fear in a horror game.

I'm not trying to argue that people can't feel fear in VR scenarios, just that this particular video/experiment didn't stimulate anything in me because of quality problems. If the point of the video is just to demonstrate how your brain can physically map audio that is otherwise stereo, you could do that with just beeps and boops.

I think the visual side of things is essential in order to 'trick' your brain, much more so than sound. Sound augments it to another level, but you need that all-encompassing POV of VR in order for your body to 'buy' it.

Trojan X

Banned
latest

Every game should be that, just happy and cheery good fun. I don't want stress in my gaming experience, I already get that from real life! I want pure feelgood escapism!

lol

I was about to say something similar to this.

I am getting really tired of all the shooting, dark & dreary, zombie apocalypse, bazooka gun blazing, battle-duty armoured warfare, blood & gore, oooooooOOO-spoooooky, hacking slashing boom boom every day game that we have been seeing for over 15 years! This medium provide a great opportunity for more imaginative, happy and bright fun gaming that provides a heart-lifting immersive experiences that we could unwind, dive into and transport ourselves away from the real world. Not get stressed and make our heart rate beat 3 million mph which causes us to become mentally exhausted and not overly eager to immediately re-engage the same experience. I'm not saying these games shouldn't exist for it would be idiotic for myself nor anyone else to believe so, but what I especially want to see from the western games industry (as I believe we would definitely get it from Japan even though it won't be in great number due to how small the industry is over here in comparison to the west) are more varieties of fun gaming into the fold instead of the same ol' regurgitated shit.

Did absolutely nothing for me either for what's it worth. It just sounded so unbelievably cheesy, if I had to guess I would say English was their second language (the quality/realism was that bad). To be clear, my brain was still interpolating the source of sounds, i.e., it sounded like they were walking around me, but in terms of a more substantive reaction nothing happened. Complete lack of tension.

Yeah, this is fine. However, the quality of the content is the problem, not the technical side.

The point was to show how when you're fully immersed, the virtual input is indistinguishable from the real world, and that will have physiological repercussions in and of itself. In this case, the sensations you would feel from the sound of someone merely walking around you would be the same, whether we are talking about real life or virtually reality. Those particular sensations are called the ASMR phenomenon. However, not everyone is susceptible to it, but if you are, your reactions would be subconscious and most certainly wouldn't be faking it.

Of course, quality is subjective, so there are also some people who would be frightened by the dialogue and the implied torture instruments in addition to the ASMR effect, which is why I chose that specific video.

Yes, exactly.

I'm not trying to argue that people can't feel fear in VR scenarios, just that this particular video/experiment didn't stimulate anything in me because of quality problems. If the point of the video is just to demonstrate how your brain can physically map audio that is otherwise stereo, you could do that with just beeps and boops.

I think the visual side of things is essential in order to 'trick' your brain, much more so than sound. Sound augments it to another level, but you need that all-encompassing POV of VR in order for your body to 'buy' it.

'Physically mapping out audio' in your brain is a pretty huge deal when your brain is convinced that it's real. Now maybe hearing sounds move around you in real life as your eyes are closed does nothing for you, but it would do something for a lot of people, and immersion is a key factor in those people having legitimate physiological and emotional reactions to VR.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I was about to say something similar to this.

I am getting really tired of all the shooting, dark & dreary, zombie apocalypse, bazooka gun blazing, battle-duty armoured warfare, blood & gore, oooooooOOO-spoooooky, hacking slashing boom boom every day game that we have been seeing for over 15 years! This medium provide a great opportunity for more imaginative, happy and bright fun gaming that provides a heart-lifting immersive experiences that we could unwind, dive into and transport ourselves away from the real world. Not get stressed and make our heart rate beat 3 million mph which causes us to become mentally exhausted and not overly eager to immediately re-engage the same experience. I'm not saying these games shouldn't exist for it would be idiotic for myself nor anyone else to believe so, but what I especially want to see from the western games industry (as I believe we would definitely get it from Japan even though it won't be in great number due to how small the industry is over here in comparison to the west) are more varieties of fun gaming into the fold instead of the same ol' regurgitated shit.

You speak as if there were no games like that.

There are games like that. It's not the fault of the devs who do those games that they don't sell. Tearaway comes to mind.

Trojan X

Banned
You speak as if there were no games like that.

There are games like that. It's not the fault of the devs who do those games that they don't sell. Tearaway comes to mind.

No, you assume that I was saying there are no games like that.

Isn't Tearaway a Vita game? If so then that is not a good example.

Great games does sell. If a fun game isn't a very good game then don't expect the sales to be decent. In the west, promotions, originality and the game's excellence does come into the fold or at "least" into consideration for the chance to be successful. It is not always doom & gloom if you come out with something different, i.e. you do have a chance to have a slice of the market. It may not give you Call of Duty numbers but it will give you something. For example, especially if you want to mention a game that is not on VR. Remember Parapa the Rapper on the Playstation? Yup.

Ultimately, fun, expressive, bright fulfilling and "all that I said in the previous post" games should be encouraged and provided to the VR platform. Pity that Nintendo isn't added to the fold.

'Physically mapping out audio' in your brain is a pretty huge deal when your brain is convinced that it's real. Now maybe hearing sounds move around you in real life as your eyes are closed does nothing for you, but it would do something for a lot of people, and immersion is a key factor in those people having legitimate physiological and emotional reactions to VR.

There's a huge difference between closing your eyes in real life and closing your eyes and hearing the limited audio of a recording with bad acting. Your ears are going to pick up a much larger range of sounds in real life than the dialogue + sound effects of a recording+headset combination. And while I'm no biologist, I think that our visual senses heavily predominate over our aural ones. Again, not trying to say VR is not immersive, just that I think you need the visual effect to truly get the desired effect. Yes, this mechanism aids immersion, but I'm not sure it's any more valuable or effective than a good surround sound setup in the same circumstances (or any form of sound really).

Zaptruder

Banned
There's a huge difference between closing your eyes in real life and closing your eyes and hearing the limited audio of a recording with bad acting. Your ears are going to pick up a much larger range of sounds in real life than the dialogue + sound effects of a recording+headset combination. And while I'm no biologist, I think that our visual senses heavily predominate over our aural ones. Again, not trying to say VR is not immersive, just that I think you need the visual effect to truly get what you're looking for. Yes, this mechanism aids immersion, but I'm not sure it's any more valuable or effective than a good surround sound setup in the same circumstances (or any form of sound really).

With good VR audio, you can easily close your eyes and pinpoint the source of audio all around you. Especially surprising is easily telling if a sound is above or below you.

Your good surround setup would need something like 21+ speakers to even have a hope in replicating the range of directions that VR audio does.

You can also easily tell what the sound design is lacking - in technolust I moved away from a sound source walking down a hallway. I could easily tell that the audio wasn't been effected by the expected acoustics of the hallway and room - only attenuated by distance.

With good VR audio, you can easily close your eyes and pinpoint the source of audio all around you. Especially surprising is easily telling if a sound is above or below you.

Your good surround setup would need something like 21+ speakers to even have a hope in replicating the range of directions that VR audio does.

You can also easily tell what the sound design is lacking - in technolust I moved away from a sound source walking down a hallway. I could easily tell that the audio wasn't been effected by the expected acoustics of the hallway and room - only attenuated by distance.

I think this is more I'm talking about. It's like, the closer it gets to real, the more you notice deficiencies and the more negative impact those deficiencies have.

There's a huge difference between closing your eyes in real life and closing your eyes and hearing the limited audio of a recording with bad acting. Your ears are going to pick up a much larger range of sounds in real life than the dialogue + sound effects of a recording+headset combination. And while I'm no biologist, I think that our visual senses heavily predominate over our aural ones.

It obviously depends on the environment, as not every environment is full of a variety of noises. In a quiet, acoustic dark room, where the number of sounds is limited, the aural difference between real life and that video would be indistinguishable for most people.

Binaural recordings don't just synthetically produce sound channels.

Take a look at the recording devices these days

3dio_8_way.0.jpg

The sound is absorbed and distorted in much of the same way that our head and ear shapes absorb and distort sound before one decibel ever gets recorded. The virtual input is essentially no different than real input.

Binaural audio has already achieved full presence. We're just waiting for the visual side to catch up. If your eyes are closed both when listening to real world sounds and virtual binaural sounds, your brain can't really tell much of a difference.

That isn't to say that you would believe that those virtual things are really happening, but just that there is no meaningful difference between the two.

karasu

Wait it wont sound good through a surround sound setup I have to wear special headphones?

This is true. Surround sound doesn't remotely compare to binaural audio.

I think this is more I'm talking about. It's like, the closer it gets to real, the more you notice deficiencies and the more negative impact those deficiencies have.

That post was referring to surround sound.

The isolation of sound sources is not that precise with binaural audio, just like in real life.

Wait it wont sound good through a surround sound setup I have to wear special headphones?

Not special headphones, any headphones will do. In order for the effect to work, the sounds have to be recorded as if the microphones were in your ears, and then played back in the same location so that you would be hearing it as it was originally recorded.

Bookoo

Imagine a Resident Evil VR game... REmake VR.... Silent Hill VR?

My god.

While I imagine you mean first person, a fixed camera 3rd person game like that would be insane in VR.

I have been playing through Chronos and there are some scenes and mechanics that are extremely creepy that kept making me think of Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

Top Bottom