• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What spring TV shows will you be watching? - 2016 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Yeah, nothing they've done has really made a splash. Difficult People and Casual got some buzz, but those types of shows are usually pretty lowkey anyway. Maybe The Path will be their House of Cards?
Kind of expected that would happen with 11.22.63, but even with all the talent, production value and reasonable well known source material; they barely get any major coverage.

The Path could either way. Main draw could be Aaron Paul and Hugh Dancy’s return to TV, but I don’t know if that draw is that strong for regular audiences; more seasoned viewers are bound to pick it up not just for the cast but also the production staff. I personally don’t think it will set the charts on fire, but maybe it will be a slow burn and become that little prestige show people really should be checking out.

TheOddOne

I'm looking forward to it! It's getting some really good reviews too!
It's also a pretty interesting experiment for Starz, dropping all 13 episodes on day one and each episode only being a half hour long—which for a drama is kind of refreshing in the 45 minutes to an hour commitment landscape.
"The Girlfriend Experience |OT| No, it's not an anime" ?
Anime gets ragged on too much, man :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's also a pretty interesting experiment for Starz, dropping all 13 episodes on day one and each episode only being a half hour long—which for a drama is kind of refreshing in the 45 minutes to an hour commitment landscape.

Yeah, I guess they were happy with the way Flesh and Bone and the third season of Da Vinci's Demons performed on VoD. I didn't know The Girlfriend Experience was only 30 minutes per episode though. That's kind of awesome actually, and it makes me dread the full season drop a little less (#PeakTV, etc).

Sober

30 minute episodes mean I might actually watch rather than just keep them saved up and say I'll get around to it one day.

Line of Duty S3 is really good, dropping huge twists like it's nothing.

So happy to see Lindsey Denton back, Keeley Hawes is incredible

berzeli

Banned
Of course it's great. it's Line of Duty, it really is one of the best dramas around. Definitely the best police related drama. I probably should have made an OT, but I can't watch the new series as it airs so I try to stay spoiler free (also why I didn't quote you).

Is the pacing as insane as S2?

berzeli

Banned
I probably should have made an OT, but I was too busy today so I'll just post here.
Y'all should watch The Last Panthers tonight on Sundance TV. I'm going to repeat what I said in the 2015 TV of the year thread:
gEzX7cb.gif

Starting off with one of the best heists on TV, the show slowly evolves from what would be a very good straightforward crime drama to a, superbly acted, much more complex and compelling affair. Written by one of my favourites, Jack Thorne (This is England '86/'88/'90, The Fades), the show takes you on a less than glamorous tour of contemporary Europe. It doesn't hurt that the music is great, it's the best shot TV show this year and that the cast is amazing (Samantha Morton, Tahar Rahim and John Hurt)
AV Club The Last Panthers is the anti-heist [B+]
THR: Not pretty, but pretty great
NYT "it will reward those who like their television dense and brooding."

I'm listening to the soundtrack as I'm writing this, it's just so good.

Oh, and to not just make this yet another berzeli shills for SundanceTV post;
Is there anything you're watching this spring that you feel has been overlooked? Either by GAF or in general

Thanks, berzeli. I almost forgot to record that tonight. Set the DVR for The Night Manager, as well.

As far as overlooked shows from this calendar year go: in something of a resurgence for SyFy, both The Expanse and The Magicians turned out well. I wouldn't label either of them as top top tier TV, but they're both definitely worth checking out if the subject matter appeals to you.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I probably should have made an OT

I know, TV GAF has been telling you for the last week to make the thread fo-

Y'all should watch The Last Panthers tonight on Sundance TV.

oh you're talking about a different show.

Is there anything you're watching this spring that you feel has been overlooked? Either by GAF or in general

My favorite new show of the year is actually one that I feel was overlooked by most people - Baskets on FX. It's a wonderfully offbeat melanchomedy about a rudderless clown (Zach Galifianakis) who lives with his mom (expertly played by Louie Anderson). The cast is full of quirky characters and the tone is surreal, but it never loses sight of its humanity.

There's also Underground on WGN America. It's a very solid, if not pulpy, thriller about (for those who don't know) a group of slaves who are planning an escape from their plantation. It's quite tense and doesn't hold back in depicting the horrors of the reality of the time period. The pacing is also surprisingly - and refreshingly - brisk for a period drama.

DagsJT

Added The Night Manager and Last Panthers to my watch list. I'd heard NM was good but never watched it when it was aired.

Some HBO summer premiere dates:

“The Night Of”: 9 p.m. July 10
“Ballers”: 10 p.m. July 17
“Vice Principals”: 10:30 p.m. July 17

I've watched the first two hours that Sundance aired on Sunday. It was decent, and I'll definitely finish it, but it's easily something you could put off until the summer doldrums.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The summer thread will go up either late tomorrow or early Monday. I was delayed a bit and didn't get to start work on the thread as early as I'd have liked.

(The only thing of note that's premiering tomorrow is Penny Dreadful btw, and you can already watch the premiere on Showtime)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom