• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Path |OT| Aaron Paul Joins Hugh Dancy's Cult - Wednesdays on Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

15lugd.png

Thanks for putting the thread together - looks great!

Early reviews and buzz have been very positive for this show. Lots of talent behind it.

Sober

Saw ads for this around town. Part of me is just glad to see Aaron Paul on-screen again. Didn't know I'd also be getting Monaghan and Dancy though.

TheOddOne

- Tim Goodman at THR: 'The Path': TV Review.
The Path, Hulu's riveting new drama, works precisely because series creator Jessica Goldberg (Parenthood) and executive producer Jason Katims (Parenthood), pull the levers of belief and doubt so convincingly and have assembled a superb cast, with Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad), Michelle Monaghan (Gone Baby Gone, True Detective) and Hugh Dancy (Hannibal) going all in with exceptional performances.
There's a lot to like about The Path, from the strong visual sense of place that director Mike Cahill established in the first two episodes to its theoretical take on faith, and of course the exquisite acting and deft writing.
- Maureen Ryan at Variety: TV Review: ‘The Path’.
But the lack of imagination goes deeper; it affects the show’s core thematic underpinnings, and the absence of a clear focus ends up squandering the efforts of the more skilled members of the cast. Unlike “The Leftovers,” a drama concerned with many similar ideas, “The Path” doesn’t use faith and disillusionment to spur the development of believably complex characters, nor does it create the kind of intense atmosphere or propulsive storytelling that would mask its dearth of coherent ideas. The loss of a belief system, which is what Eddie faces, should be shattering, but the Meyerist movement seems so wispy and derivative that it’s hard to care much about his slow-burning crisis of faith.
Given that deep spirituality is often about questioning reality and sometimes involves mystical mental states, it would be unfair to expect “The Path” to provide a pat series of answers. But a set of rigorously examined and deeply felt questions might have been enough to give this rambling story the spark that it needs. As it is, the drama’s overly deliberate pace and under-cooked character dynamics may cause some to lose faith before the season finale arrives.
- David Wiegand at SFGate: Follow brilliant ‘Path’ on Hulu.
Creator Jessica Goldberg has done a masterful job telling the story of the organization through the individual characters. We see each major character evolve in a naturalistic way, rarely following anything close to a predictable pattern. Similar to the character development in “Breaking Bad,” the seed of each character’s destiny is already gestating within them-- Sarah’s conflicted feelings about both Eddie and Cal, Eddie’s agony as he tries to balance loving his wife with his growing doubt about the Movement, Cal’s attempt to temper his lust for power while trying to keep secrets about his past and present.

TheOddOne

- EW: The Path: EW review.
The Path is best when it offers more than just skepticism and cynicism. It’s most interesting as an allegory about our relationship to truth and the value of religions in a seemingly godless world, at a place in history far removed from their point of origin. Perseverance is required. The premiere clunks as a premise setter and paranoid thriller.

TripOpt55

I really like the talent involved here, but I'm not as into the premise. I will definitely check it out, but I might just have to wait until summer to do a month of Hulu and catch up on the whole thing. Not sure yet.

Saw commercials for this last week and it piqued my Interest. I'm in for anything with Aaron Paul though.

It's premiering here on Friday, on Showcase. Thankfully.

It has potential.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Saw the preview at the movie theater during those First Look segments they do before the trailers. This show is officially on my radar, and the timing is perfect because Hulu's other original show 11/22/63 will be finishing up around the same time this premieres.

The cast looks phenomenal. The script could be a dramatic reading of the Palo Alto yellow pages and I'd tune in.

studyguy

Watch hulu, this is like one of 3 ads they run constantly now. Personally I'm not big into cult shows, they usually drop in quality quick. My girlfriend likes Aaron Paul though so I'm on this boat whether I like it or not.

TheOddOne

- A|V Club Review: Hulu’s faith-based drama The Path should rightfully attract a cult following.
Despite its flaws, The Path builds one hell of a foundation for seasons to come. It demonstrates the potential to grow deeper and more rewarding as it matures, like any drama Katims has been associated with. Should The Path make it to, say, a third season, it could be among the contenders for the unofficial title of best drama on television. For now, it’s a mustard seed.
- The Wrap: ‘The Path’ Review: Aaron Paul and Michelle Monaghan, Where Faith and Pain Converge.
Overall, it’s not a bad beginning to a series intent on exploring human suffering and the lengths people will go to in order to stop hurting. The dialogue is grounded in in the dark realism of everyday life. When stacked up against a series like “The Leftovers,” which also examines a cult, it feels flat at first. But once the story does finally get rolling, the intersecting elements begin to build towards a compelling story with more complexity than first meets the eye.

TheOddOne

- Collider: ‘The Path’ Review: A Bumpy Start Gives Way to Engrossing Character Drama.
Like 11.22.63, Hulu has chosen to release its new series one episodes of the time, which again feels like a mistake. Though the idea is to keep bringing viewers back and staying engaged for longer with the site, Hulu doesn’t yet appear to have the cachet to sustain that kind of model. That means that both series might get drowned out in a landscape with so many other high-profile premieres that are more easily accessible, which would be a terrible shame — both are not only unique, but eminently binge-able. Like the adherents of Meyerism, The Path should allow viewers to get swept up in its story. And while skepticism may rule at the start, it doesn’t take long for the show to make one a believer in its own story, and in the power of its exceptional performances.
- Flavorwire: Hulu’s ‘The Path’ Is Totally About Scientology, But That’s Not What Makes It So Compelling.
Scientology, and any “coincidental resemblances to it,” may pique viewers’ interest, but The Path doesn’t need it to sustain a tense, layered drama.

TheOddOne

Two-part season premiere today:
Season 1: episode 1 "What the Fire Throws"

Cal, back from three years in San Diego, leads The Meyerist Movement on a disaster relief mission in New Hampshire. Eddie returns home after completing his 6R training in Peru, where he saw a horrifying vision of the organization’s truth. Eddie’s odd behavior leads Sarah to suspect an affair.

Season 1: episode 2 "The Era of The Ladder"

Eddie and Sarah begin the Infidelity Rehab Program, while Hawk makes a new friend in Ashley, a popular girl his age who needs help with her family’s finances. Meanwhile, Cal offers to help a wealthy donor’s drug-addicted son.
- WSJ: The Complicated Emotions Behind ‘The Path’.
- THR: Aaron Paul Breaks Down Cult-Like Movement at Center of Hulu's 'The Path'.
- Indiewire: Review: Hulu's Compelling Cult Drama 'The Path' Starring Aaron Paul, Hugh Dancy & Michelle Monaghan.
- Salon: “It’s not a cult!”: Scientology looms large over “The Path,” a sexy new drama about faith and doubt.
- New York Times: Review: In ‘The Path,’ a Cult Is Only as Strong as Its Following.
- Vogue: In Hulu’s The Path, Cult Members Are Just Like Us.
- Sepinwall: Review: Aaron Paul and Michelle Monaghan go down a dull 'Path' for Hulu.
- Vulture: Aaron Paul on The Path, Religion, and Breaking Away From Jesse Pinkman.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Unfortunately, The Path — created by Parenthood writer Jessica Goldberg and produced by Katims, its first episode debuts on Hulu tomorrow — doesn't inspire nearly the fervor I'd hoped for, given the intersection of talent and subject matter. It's a dry, claustrophobic show, with not enough of a narrative hook to pull the viewer through hour after hour of it. (Hulu made all 10 hours of the first season available to critics; I tapped out after the first five, not hating it, but also having little enthusiasm to keep going.)

And yet he gave the show a "B-"...

Dominator

I'm going to wait until the entire thing is finished before I run through it, but the only trailer I watched for it got me really hyped. The show just looks fantastic in every sense. Can't wait to watch.

Alienware

The critics' response worries me a little, was hoping this could be the next great thing, after already been let down by Vinyl and 11.22.63 earlier this year.

maxcriden

I know this is a minor quibble for most, but as someone who finds most sex scenes in prestige cable dramas eye-rollingly cheesy and unhelpful in progressing plot or character, feeling like they're mostly there to titillate--the Salon review has me raising an eyebrow a bit. I'm looking forward to GAF impressions about the show's quality, though.

Well, color me interested due to the cast alone. I love Paul and Monaghan, and can't wait to see Dancy after watching the masterful Hannibal ( I seriously think that it is a modern classic ).

Just watched the first episode, and I'm interested so far. The pilot has set up enough hooks to continue watching and I hope the show explores more of the cult.

Hugh Dancy needs a beard, damn it.

I'm also loving how streaming services are being back TV intros; The Path's intro is just so stylish.

BluWacky

I find religious cults fascinating, and this show hits all sorts of interesting buttons in the first two episodes (not all related to that!).

Aaron Paul and Michelle Monaghan have excellent chemistry but are far more interesting when they're not in scenes together, which currently read like slightly reheated domestic drama of the type you've seen in a million shows before (plus sex!). Paul's storyline leads him to being a bit hammy - lots of BIG EMOTIONS to deal with, and some truly crazy stuff in the second episode - but he sells it well; Monaghan is much more restrained but potentially much more interesting.

Hugh Dancy's character, Cal, is by far the most interesting thing about the show; all sorts of layers of complexity going on with his writing and performance. The show is going to have to work very hard to keep this delicate balance going without sending him into straight-up nutjob territory (there's a little foreshadowing of this, I fear, in a relatively innocuous scene in the second episode). His actions and reactions are never predictable, but feel entirely grounded in who his character is - a man who wants Meyerism to reach as many people as possible.

While it's slow burn stuff, and I'm a little dubious about the FBI investigation plotline that crops up in the second ep, I certainly find it interesting, particularly the level of detail that has gone into building the cult's world. I do want to know, however, how they have any money; while the Meyerists appear to live off home grown vegetables, the houses are beautiful and they don't seem to be lacking in pleasant furnishings (although they do seem to wear clothes repeatedly, which suggests perhaps they don't buy things?).

I find religious cults fascinating, and this show hits all sorts of interesting buttons in the first two episodes (not all related to that!).

Aaron Paul and Michelle Monaghan have excellent chemistry but are far more interesting when they're not in scenes together, which currently read like slightly reheated domestic drama of the type you've seen in a million shows before (plus sex!). Paul's storyline leads him to being a bit hammy - lots of BIG EMOTIONS to deal with, and some truly crazy stuff in the second episode - but he sells it well; Monaghan is much more restrained but potentially much more interesting.

While it's slow burn stuff, and I'm a little dubious about the FBI investigation plotline that crops up in the second ep, I certainly find it interesting, particularly the level of detail that has gone into building the cult's world. I do want to know, however, how they have any money; while the Meyerists appear to live off home grown vegetables, the houses are beautiful and they don't seem to be lacking in pleasant furnishings (although they do seem to wear clothes repeatedly, which suggests perhaps they don't buy things?).

I think in ep. 2 Cal and Sarah were talking about donors, particularly a man that wants the Light cult to fix his druggy son.
Cal doesn't like the fake followers, but they bring in the money for the camp.

Ahiru77

Watched episode 1 and 2. Without having looked at other people's opinions, these are my thoughts:

1. The story
It's played out WAY more interesting than I first thought. Most of the characters and actions are both interesting as fascinating and makes you want to know more. The pacing is great which is a relief for me since these kind of stories are susceptible to drag a lot or have filler that don't really add anything.

2. Visuals
Drop dead gorgeous. The locations and scenarios are mesmerizing to watch. They use awesome visual effects to convey drama.

3. Music
Haunting and exciting. The personal drama these characters are going through is greatly enhanced by the dark bass score that is they use in a timely manner.

4. Cast
The cast really great. Hugh Dancy displays the cult leader as charismatic yet stern, which easily makes you understand why the characters would follow the guy's every word. He has a nice realistic vibe to him. Michelle Monaghan is well choosen as the wife who was raised in the cult. Her "floatiness" fits with the character, but luckily she doesn't exaggerate it like it's done in most cult-based movies. Really everyone comes across as believable. It's well directed.

But really the most important thing to note is....

Aaron Paul is the most incredible performer of the 21st century!!!!
His seemlingly unlimited range, his realism, being fantastic all without an "acting-gimmick". Everytime I think I've already seen how he does a certain emotion, he delivers a variation on that emotion with such splendor.

I need a poet!!!
HXgyJoq.gif

TripOpt55

Got the chance to watch the first episode tonight and thought it was pretty solid. Will try and watch the second tomorrow. Definitely an intriguing start.

ivysaur12

Banned
I have a lot of problems with the internal logic of the cult and the way they portray faith, but the acting is incredible so I'm going to keep watching.

Ahiru77

EPISODE 3 OUT!!!

The story continues amazingly from the first two episodes. I really get the feeling that the writers have enough of these
character arcs mapped out to keep the pacing at such a high level.

Every character's development makes them more and more interesting. Everyone feels realistic with their secrets and happening.

And Aaron really knocked that cliffhanger out of the park. Can't wait for next week!!

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 4 "The Future"

The compound receives a visit from two of The Movement's elders for its annual Ascension Day picnic. Their arrival calls Cal's leadership and the future of The Movement into question.

neshcom

Banned
Started watching this movie over the weekend and it's so so so good. Aaron Paul is perfect for this role, but I feel bad for all the shit his characters have to go through. It really is a powerful sell on how dangerous disbelief in cults.

TripOpt55

Watched the first three eps. I find it fairly interesting I guess. Not exactly gripping or anything. There are certainly some ideas worth exploring here, I just don't find myself hooked in yet. The acting is excellent though and I will continue to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom