• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Path |OT| Aaron Paul Joins Hugh Dancy's Cult - Wednesdays on Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahiru77

EPISODE 4 OUT!

Man, so many of their culty things are unraveling and every character is so up in their feelings. The way they continued from the last episode was different than I expected it to be, but they still used it quite well to develope things further.

Welcome to 7R.

That was like:

ezh8ysT.gif

So awesome!

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 5 "The Hole"

Upon learning about Hawk's ongoing relationship with Ashley, Eddie and Sarah find themselves at odds. Meanwhile, Abe meets with Alison and suspects The Movement may be involved in criminal activity. Hawk tries to break up with Ashley. After confronting Sarah, Cal returns to the Ridge estate to declare his support for her actions.
- Promo for this week's episode.

Too bad there aren't more tv shows that explores the existence and inner workings of cults, real or otherwise. Cults can be utterly fascinating and terrifying how they can draw people into their 'religion'.

Ahiru77

Episode 5.

So I know we left off in the middle of the night in the woods, digging. So when I see that we start right there in the woods again I'm thinking "Okay man, you have been digging all night non-stop.....now......convince me."

vyaFkry.gif

ugWmE24.gif

The absolute MASTER.

Well everything is still progressing nicely. Everyone behaves like their character logically would and they stay interesting that way.

I really feel for Cal, because I wouldn't really trust anyone else to be the leader of the movement. Yeah he is bonkers, but only he can take Oddjob like that.....Sarah, that peru couple or Silas....they would wither and die immediately.

I'm excited to see how the detective-like guy will impact everything. And of course ~~7R~~.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 6 "Breaking and Entering"

After Ashley's family is evicted, Hawk brings them home for shelter. Faced with her son's relationship to an IS, Sarah goes on a personal mission to answer questions from her past. Cal asserts his leadership and makes a bold political decision for The Movement.

KingKong

they absolutely need to stop spending so much time on Hawks storyline. though to be honest, every scene without Hugh Dancy is kind of a waste

Ahiru77

Episode 6

The showrunner wrote this episode, therefore making this one that more indicative of the direction the entire story is going. Look, Jessica Goldberg has been doing a way better job of telling a fascinating story than say Moira Walley-Beckett with her "Flesh and Bone" mess. It's original, realistic and probably the best show any real adult could be following right now.

But the way I see it here, In terms of momentum and pay-off, this was more disappointing than I had hoped for.

- How is everyone in the movement so apathetic to Cal being beaten within an inch of his life by outsiders??? It's outrageous what happened to him, yet no, just skip a few weeks....showrunner doesn't let anyone but Sarah care at all.

- Why is it now so goshdarn necessary to give "weight" to some flimsy love-triangle??? The story of this movement seems it could be way more mature than such a soapy plotline.

To me it feels like the story is now kind of riding on the tremendous soul and energy Aaron and Hugh are putting in to this.

It's still a beautifully made show, but I don't know. I'll see what next week has to offer.

neshcom

Banned
The Wacky Misadventures of Horny Cal have been my least favorite parts of this show--mainly because they just aren't at the same level of suspense or mystery as anything else. Even Hawk's "loving an outsider bit" is at least intriguing in how a cult family rationalizes and changes because of it.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 7 "Refugees"

After Cal's actions beckon a swarm of media attention to the compound, Sarah and the elders question his tactics. Cal discovers Eddie's secret relationship with Alison. Feeling his control slip away, Cal spirals into a rage and leaves Sarah to address the congregation on her own.

Ahiru77

I can't watch the new one yet, but somehow I thought that this was a mini-series.

Kind of miffed cause episode 6 was anything but promising.

I like how Ashley's mom is not falling for the cult, even with the prospect of getting a job.
She seemed like the most likely to considering the situation.

Jesus Christ! I knew
Cal would eventually kill someone, accidentally or otherwise.

The downward spiral continues.

I can't watch the new one yet, but somehow I thought that this was a mini-series.

Kind of miffed cause episode 6 was anything but promising.

AFAIK, the show has about 10 episodes.

neshcom

Banned
I really enjoyed how the cabin scenes concluded pretty quickly, but I'm so ready for Eddie to realize he has Cal's number big-time. Feels like we'll get even more friction between Sarah and Cal, though I didn't realize Sarah felt stifled as a woman before this week. I'm happy Amanda's family got out, but I expected a cry for help from Hawke (thought maybe doubling down on the cult will turn out better than a cheesy love story).

StillEdge

I got invited to the series finale of this show. Now I need to actually watch it. Hopefully it's rad the commercials looked good, but never was in a rush to see it.

Ahiru77

The feeling the writers gave me during episode 7:

The ducks are not in a row!!!

I repeat!!

The ducks are officially not in a row!!!

HykHz1n.gif

Nothing about last episode gave any indication that anyone would even know about the refugees in the cult's camp. Let alone that this tiny move by Cal would warrant a media frenzy. And even more unnoticed hypocrisy:

When Cal wants to help the refugees: What a wrong move!! This is horrible!! Shame on you!!
Go suffer in a corner ALONE.

When Sarah want to help the refugees: Oh so inspirational!! You an example to us all!! Praise you!!!

Why don't the writers give Cal a twirly mustage while they're at it. I don't think the viewers have it crammed up their nose enough that Cal is the villain. And when they finally adress the dying leader the writers pretty much go:

IEHFcMX.gif

Also at 19:55 min we finally get something exciting happening that actually ties into the original plot of episode 1 and 2. (Aaron and Hugh AWESOME)

And at 26:49 we get a genuine SNL moment. :D:D:D

But the story seems sooo goshdarn random too many times. And too much drama happens conveniently isolated from the others in the village.

neshcom

Banned
When Cal wants to help the refugees: What a wrong move!! This is horrible!! Shame on you!!
Go suffer in a corner ALONE.

When Sarah want to help the refugees: Oh so inspirational!! You an example to us all!! Praise you!!!

But Cal's whole point was to set a vote and make the exact same sort of speech to the lower-rungs who were on his side. That meeting hall was filled with LRs who wanted to vote to keep the refugees. If anything, the decision for Sarah to change her mind is a little hypocritical, but you can tell that's driven by her desire to upstage Cal.

Saty

Cal isn't going to get away with hiding Silas' death, right? They leave in a community where every house is in a spitting distance of the next. The fact that late night arrived and no one went to check his house to ask why he was away from the meeting where he planned to give a big speech...and then Sarah picks up the phone to call him instead of dropping by in the hours that passed by.

I'm on episode 3 and I'm fucking loving this. The suspense is great. The casting is pretty solid. I don't know where this is headed but I'm hype to keep going. Aaron Paul and Hugh Dancy's roles in this are amazing.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 8 "The Shore"

Eddie brings Hawk along on a journey of spiritual enlightenment, while Cal struggles with the ugly reality of his own violent tendencies. Nicole's labor becomes troubled, and Sarah performs a miracle to save the child. Cal, in a moment of weakness, tells Sarah a secret about Eddie.

Saty

Like i said last week, it's a big stretch to believe no one would pay Cal a visit for hours after he was absent from the gathering where he had to give a big speech and fight for his cause. Way too convenient to allow him to remove the body.
Also, why i understand them wanting to flesh his character out and make him more complex or humanize him, that scene were he's on a genuine breakdown but then still has the wherewithal to drive a wedge between Sarah and Eddie is just capitalizing the V in 'villain'.

Hopefully Eddie lays all the truth out next time he sees Sarah because that part of the plotline of keeping the truth away and lying about an affair to keep the real thing a secret has ran its course.

OK, i'm posting a .webm of 'that' thing. It has painted-breast nudity in it. Mods, if it's too much feel free to edit it out.

https://my.mixtape.moe/feqamz.webm

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 9 "A Room with a View"

Sarah meets with Alison Kemp after discovering Eddie's burner phone. Eddie and Hawk return home, and Sarah confronts Eddie about his crisis of faith. Cal asks Sarah to be his second- in-command. Someone from the organization's past returns.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Ive been enjoying this show more than 11/22/63. Fun show that gives a hint that Hulu may be getting their act together with more entertaining original shows.

Turin

Banned
Haven't caught up yet, on episode 6, but I'm really enjoying this show so far.

Hugh Dancy's amazing as expected.

tim.mbp

A little disappointed with the season finale. I enjoyed the season as a whole, but felt there were too many convenient plot devices/facilitators for my liking. I'll be back for season 2 though.

TheOddOne

Season finale today:
Season 1: episode 10 "The Miracle"

Eddie faces exile after his crisis of faith is discovered by The Movement. Cal delivers the final three rungs of The Ladder to the congregation, while Sarah learns a dark secret about The Movement. Eddie, seeking answers, travels to Peru where he uncovers a shocking truth.
- ICYMI: ‘The Path’ Renewed For Season 2.

A little disappointed with the season finale. I enjoyed the season as a whole, but felt there were too many convenient plot devices/facilitators for my liking. I'll be back for season 2 though.

It felt like it was lacking for sure but I'll still keep watching it next season.

Solid 7/10 finale

mjc

Interesting little show, although some of the character decisions are a bit weird at times. They'll do complete 180s at the drop of a hat.

Ahiru77

I just caught up with the season, watched 8,9 and 10 straight through. It's the end of season 1. Wanted to share my thoughts on the season. :)

Episode 8

The writing picked up a lot of plot from episode 7 really well. The episode was a bit too explicit, but still overall a great one.

Episode 9
About this episode and the nature of material like this. This one was the most difficult to watch.

But you know, you can't pick the most beautiful rose on earth without grabbing the thorns. In the end, it's worth it. True adults can withstand the thorns!

Episode 10
Well it's the showrunner's episode again so this is the show at it's most telling and it's the season finale so might as well sum up my feels about the show looking back now.

The writing: This writing is so painfully disingenuous, it's infuriating. Having to sit through every character demolishing another in one scene and then claim to love them in another behind their backs is just torture. And the plot twists are soap-opera level, when characters get "fast forwarded" to move the plot forward. Character jump to absurd conclusions fast or slow for plot convenience or drama.

Sometimes if the characters actually would have behaved like just decent sane human beings, then some "exciting" stuff would never happen. Jessica Goldberg unfortunately used soapy dialogue ans twists and it feels fake.

The acting: the acting is the highest grade of quality and class and also the best a lead actor can give to this writing!! If you truly respect acting as a craft then you can bear with the writing to watch Aaron. This is 1970's level realism and energy he's giving here. All season, every episode. And all the supporting cast is so all-in giving it their 100%, it's wondeful.

I'm surprised this thread isn't longer. I just finished The Path last night and found it very intriguing and extremely well acted. It starts a little slow but the content is great and quality is high. Definitely looking forward to seeing where the show goes from here.

TheOddOne

KingKong

that was a tepid premiere and I am already checked out on the Hawk love interest. I'll check out episode 2 later, maybe thats better

My wife and I watched the first episode of season 2 and are both feeling iffy on the direction of the show. What we liked about the show was the grounded look at the living in and leaving a cult, and more and more it seems like they are leaning in the direction of the supernatural. Basically that invalidates the entire show as it wouldn't be a cult if there's basis behind the beliefs, thus rendering it all pointless. I think we'll keep watching for now but I really don't understand why the show runners have chosen this direction.

Ahiru77

My wife and I watched the first episode of season 2 and are both feeling iffy on the direction of the show. What we liked about the show was the grounded look at the living in and leaving a cult, and more and more it seems like they are leaning in the direction of the supernatural. Basically that invalidates the entire show as it wouldn't be a cult if there's basis behind the beliefs, thus rendering it all pointless. I think we'll keep watching for now but I really don't understand why the show runners have chosen this direction.

I get what you guys are saying. But don't worry. The show stays "grounded" and "realistic" even though it has resulted in the show being soap-opera level petulant all the time.

JmFOccH.png

What

a

coincidence.

(post #54 up there)

opi9yen.png

I wonder if TheOddOne is there around to do something with this in the OP.

Ahiru77

Season 2 episode 1. The writing is the same as season 1, no real change in pacing or anyhting. So if you enjoyed season 1, I say keep on watching.

Just one thing.

C1JWqhA.gif

dTlFdjc.gif

Cf4dMly.gif

KUqPdNx.gif

He is the reason that the visual arts would mean anything to a society full of adult, hardworking, intelligent human beings. His art is worth time, investment, effort and serious study.

The moment you press play, you are served real life in all it's energetic, subtle, complicated glory. Most acting ain't rocket science, his IS.

I'm just saying.

Ahiru77

Season 2 episode 2 & 3

The show remains a double-edged sword. On the one hand it's What if Bold And the Beautiful was played by Al Pacino? which is exactly as insulting as it sounds.

On the other hand, the scenes Aaron is given are straight fire. Not in the sense of a story arc, more like this is the greatest it has been performed in recent history.

It's conflicting.

Ahiru77

Season 2 episode 4

Well, I have to say, this episode took a big quality jump. The writing actually tried to stay straight the entire episode for once. But alas it's also revealing how low-stakes the actual plot really is.

In episode 2 you'd see Aaron going from angry to sensitive seasmlessly.
Last episode you'd see him going from desperate to threatening. Then carry paranoia for entire act.

In this episode he goes from accusing to deeply caring then incredulous to grimly defeated. These are each one scene not two scenes in obvious opposite colors like "now I'm playing with kids" and "now I'm alone in my bed".

This show enjoys Aaron's mindboggling range with such RELISH.

Ahiru77

Still surprised there aren't more people watching this. What day are the new episodes coming out each week anyway?

Every wednesday. :)

Season 2 episode 5

This episode written by Goldberg presents problems and developements that are so poorly argumented. They would barely move a daytime audience, let alone primetime critics.

Ask Vince Gilligan why a character gets thrown in jail, and he'll present you pages and pages of waterproof real legal rational arguments PLUS hands his characters solutions that are smart yet make so much sense considering what he already wrote episodes prior.

Ask Jessica Goldberg why a character gets thrown in jail and she just goes "just cause". And you're thinking "No wait! You need to hash this predicament out point for point, cause this just seems like melodramatic nonsense!". And she proceeds to come up with solutions that are either aggravating or they require a too big suspense of disbelieve.

At the end of the day, she uses grave problems as a turn on. It's so disrespectfully cheap.

Aaron belongs in ....And Justice for All or Kramer vs Kramer. Not whatever the heck this is.

Ahiru77

Season 2 episode 6

vkvQAI6.gif

Took the tea outta my cup.

I will never blame Aaron for the putrid things he has to do. I will always understand how they force him into these stories and how this could affect him for future projects. Every writer in Hollywood writes like this, be it for TV be it for Film. It's inevitable.

wXMqCx1.gif

HOWEVER.

As a producer, Aaron does get to approve who gets married in this show. And for that I couldn't be more proud of him. I don't know how he was raised, but I do know where he came from. To see the wedding scenario is to know that he is both a legendary actor and a outstanding human being.

Ahiru77

Season 2 episode 7

I can't believe I'm still hoping for anything after everything, but Eddie just got abducted to a LOST-like cabin.

Next episode could actually be good......NEXT EPISODE COULD ACTUALLY BE GREAT.

It would be a miracle.
N0vmZpq.gif

Ahiru77

Season Episode 8

I don't know what I expected.

How can they deliver a good interrogation episode, when they never wrote a good character arc to support it. The writing for the hut-side of the episode doesn't work. The one good reason to abuse Eddie like this, is for Richard and the looney guy to find out who killed their leader. Who killed the foundation of their cult. Any reasonable viewer would see the point, however criminal, of them doing this.

This mission/ is just thrown out the door because the story decides Richard and Looney shouldn't care about their leader anymore. Nope. Done with that. Eddie is the leader now.

WHAT?! Eddie the leader?!?!

No, that "dream prophecy" doesn't explain/justify him being the new leader. It's not based on anything that would make sense after what the story has given us for two seasons. Several issues:

1. Why is Eddie's nirvana the cult compound when that place was nothing but torture to him. Plus, the very idea of making normal people stay inside a closed compound is not right. It's unhealthy how easy people can gang up on you when you're live in a terrirtory where everyone must have the same viewpoints or else you're toast.

2. What leader only thinks of his own family when he sees a perfect place. He doesn't even care about the rest of the people living on the compound.

3. How has Eddie's story arc supported him becoming a leader and even Richard getting behind that? He hasn't helped anyone, he hasn't saved anybody, he can barely stay sane for 5min.

Viewers won't buy into the hut interrogation making any sense, because Richard and Looney had no clue what to do. They don't show the competence that would convince viewers that what they are watching is going somewhere. Viewers won't buy into the purpose of the hut scenes (to reveal Eddie as the new leader) when nothing the character has ever done supports that.

The popstar-side of the episode is trash. Plain and simple.
And the mother-side too (even though that had a decent start, but the back and forward between the mother and Sarah didn't work well at all. Neither side felt genuine, it all just felt like melodramatic filler.)

The raw realism Aaron delivers in this episode when Eddie is outraged at the kid being left behind, his drug state, the wonder of the "garden" and the aftermath is spectacular. And too short-lived. They should've engaged him more with conversation in the hut, instead of knocking him out right away. And in the dream he should've seen more of every event that has happened in his life, not just Johnny. It's too short. But what little they did give him he played magnificently.

It's magic.
MCA7Npe.gif

Ahiru77

Season 2 episode 9

The one thing Jessica Goldberg wanted out of this show: Cal banging Sarah.

Seeing the scene actually felt anti-climatic. I don't feel that doing the scene "Bollywood chastity"-style was very honest at all. Then again, it is telling that this is Goldberg's OTP. You always treat your OTP with dignity and "purity" *snicker snicker*.

Eddie is such a noob. The denier-policy is maintained so that the cult won't fall apart. It only takes one disgruntled loudmouth with freedom to see your paying members go away. Then you don't have any money to maintain a compound. He needs to think about the ideology he wants to convince people with. He needs to work on his ability to lecture people every week. And how he's gonna maintain a steady cashflow to support people with. Not getting your miserable little family back (told you guys he's too selfish to be a leader).

Aaron has the energy and charisma to be a leader. Eddie is just a badly written character.

The church scene was lovely.

Ahiru77

Season 2 episode 10

I really wonder.......who are the viewers that actually care about these miniscule petty inconviences these characters have.

You know, thinking about actual real problems people undeservingly have in life (unexpected medical bills, racism, poverty, being victims of real crimes), I keep wondering why Goldberg makes such melodramatic ritual scenes about problems like:

- I'm a cheater
- I visited a black sheep member of the family
- I just want more money (don't need it, but want it)
- My spouse is cheating
- I'm cheating
- I'm cheating
- I'M CHEATING

NOBODY CARES. Can't they just act like freakin adults instead of being shouty sniveling little teenagers.

No, you don't get to have mutliple partners, choose one.
No, you don't get to have an expensive church, earn it.
No, life isn't roses and rainbows your family can be mad at you sometimes. Be better next time and get over it!

There. Solved. Now write a real story.

That Aaron is handed a note which says his character is being cheated on (which his own character is already guilty of) and he actually has to react like his character is being deported to North Korea. It's mindboggling.

Just started the show and 4 episodes in. I like it so far, but I have to say that most everyone are manipulative assholes.

Also does the show stay grounded in reality or does it adopt supernatural aspects down the line? I'm really hoping for the former.

Ahiru77

Just started the show and 4 episodes in. I like it so far, but I have to say that most everyone are manipulative assholes.

Also does the show stay grounded in reality or does it adopt supernatural aspects down the line? I'm really hoping for the former.

It doesn't realy become supernatural. Things are mostly just a vision of their depraved minds.

I wonder if you still don't want supernatural stuff in it after finishing season 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom