• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Path |OT| Aaron Paul Joins Hugh Dancy's Cult - Wednesdays on Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw S2E5.
It was an ok episode, but I must comment on how goofy the ending was.

It doesn't realy become supernatural. Things are mostly just a vision of their depraved minds.

I wonder if you still don't want supernatural stuff in it after finishing season 1.

Im cool with no supernatural stuff. If it comes in late to the show it feels shoved in there with no purpose. If supernatural elements were present from the start then I'd be fine with it. But for the most part, I was looking for a drama about a cult and I'm getting a drama about a cult- so I'm pleased.

I'm all caught up!

Holy shit at Eddie's pure fucking anger though. I don't think I've ever seen Aaron Paul just rage hardcore. That was intense.

Ahiru77

Ahiru's arc here seems more entertaining than the show.

You made my day. Thanks. :)

I'm all caught up!

Holy shit at Eddie's pure f*cking anger though. I don't think I've ever seen Aaron Paul just rage hardcore. That was intense.

It was intense. Intensly satisfying, writing or no writing!

I wanna show it!!!

Season 2 episode 11

Aaron gave Hugh Dancy the kind of fire that'll last Hugh for years and years to come.

CzY84KL.gif

imuyCMG.gif

1ueWSIX.gif

He owned the "I know it was you Fredo"-neckgrab like he invented it.

And then the writing shows itself again:
"I can order those 20 kids to throw you out because I'm the chosen one."
"Steve gave the necklace to me!"

Whatever Steve wants or doesn't want is irrelevant. Those 20 kids know Cal, are raised by Cal......not Eddie. Eddie doesn't have a leg to stand on and the writing is acting like he does. Cal shouldn't even bat an eye at this nonsense.

Who cares who has a necklace, this is about being able to take care of 30 or so families all at once for goodness sake.

Aaron epic skills....again....wasted on Eddie Lane.

pa22word

The show has kind of went off the deep end this season. It was interesting in a horror sort of way when I picked it up and now they're going the messiah main character route with a freaking cult? I mean okay that can still be entertaining, but kinda lame given how laced with awesome the idea of evil cult led by dancy trashing Arron Paul around for a few seasons while he trys to get away would have been.

I really dislike how they seemingly have ditched the blonde over the past few episodes. I thought the show would use her as a skyler type character from breaking bad to ground everything out and remind the viewers how insane Paul going full Jesus is in the context of well, reality. I guess the show is content in just owning that? Even FBI guy is cozying up to Jesus Paul now, lol... Of all the routes they could have gone with the series I find this one the most lame, really. It's still a fun watch and everything, but eh...disappointing.

So... my thoughts...
I haven't watched a serialized drama in quite some time. I think, because of my time off from them The Path seemed pretty decent. But after catching up, then binge watching all of BoJack Horseman, and then watching the newest episode of The Path- all I am left thinking is, "What the hell?". BoJack can create interesting and meaningful drama in 30 minutes, while this show drags it on. I end up not caring for anyone, especially with the direction the show is going. Like, why does any of this matter? Who is it affecting? Why does Eddie feel obligated to this cult? Why is everyone so self obsessed?
I don't know. If they can't fix this shit by the last episode of the season, I'll probably drop it and go watch something more worth while.

On a separate note BoJack Season 4 can't come soon enough.

So recently signed up for Hulu and decided to watch this on a whim. I only finished season one but while the principal cast is pretty great, man does Hugh Dancy steal the show for me. I had different expectations for what this show was just going by the one or two-sentence premise but I found this so far to be a pretty great character drama and fascinated how this cult movement cult gradually changes people -- especially Michelle Monaghan's character. Looking forward to season two.

2x11- Is Eddie the stupidest man alive? That's the second episode in a row he's told Sarah privileged information.

So recently signed up for Hulu and decided to watch this on a whim. I only finished season one but while the principal cast is pretty great, man does Hugh Dancy steal the show for me. I had different expectations for what this show was just going by the one or two-sentence premise but I found this so far to be a pretty great character drama and fascinated how this cult movement cult gradually changes people -- especially Michelle Monaghan's character. Looking forward to season two.

It's one of those cases where the cast is better than the material they've been given.

pa22word

Honestly if it wasn't for Dancy I would have bailed Midwayish first sesson. Then s2 added dexter dad and evil dirtbag from everything under the sun as Steve, both actors I enjoy watching on screen a lot. It's like watching a beautiful train wreck, a little like lost in that way except this doesn't have the highs nor as of yet the lows that show had. It's sort of just okay at the best of times, which is fine for munching popcorn at 5 am :lol

Ahiru77

Munch popcorn and knowing that at least this show is keeping a paycheck going for the actors. At least that.

Season 2 episode 12

FTWoa7o.gif

Heheh, priceless.

The stunt performed in this episode would've been impressive to me had I not watched Prison Break a few days ago.

The forest scenario was needlessly gross considering in what lame way it gets resolved "Oh look some people straight the heck out of nowhere are here now, problem solved."

Richard isn't behaving like a tragic disciple who everyone should've listened to. He's behaving like a crazy person capable of putting people in grave danger. This show isn't capable of putting anyone in a good light.

As much as this show wants to portray Cal and Sarah as leading villains, they are and always have been the only people actually taking care of the village. As stupid as they always are behaving, it still stands that they keep the place running.

Not freakin Eddie. No matter what Steve the ghost says.

A the end of the day, even Eddie agrees with this. And he almost got away from this mad town had it not been for the vaguest cliffhanger. Goshdarnit.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
This show is so uneven. Michelle Monaghan is great and Hugh Dancy is completely overacting though in a hypnotic way. But Aaron Paul is acting like he is kinda pissed about being stuck with a show he doesn't believe in. His character arc in the beginning of this season was mildly exciting, but they ruined it with the The Chosen One bullshit. That storyline only exists because they wrote him into a corner and don't know what else to do with him.

Don't think I will watch a third season. Too bad, I really liked the first season.

Ahiru77

Aaron's anger is hyper-realistic, but I don't think it means that he feels negative about the show itself.

They write his character mad crazy, Aaron gives them mad crazy. And if Eddie is that most of the time, Aaron will give that most of the time. Whatever they want out of him in the moment, he switches on with ease. Even though, as a whole, we can see that none of it mends well together as an arc.

Season 2 episode 13

Well Goldberg remains the worst. It's like every writer is trying to undo each other's work. Their writer's room must be absolutely poisonous.

Writer A: I'm setting up a great conflict between father & son.

Goldberg: Ehhh forget that. They're instantly friends again due to a unrealistic jump to conclusion.

Writer A: Okayyy that was a waste of screentime.......So obviously Eddie has no leadership capabilities and has enough self-awareness to realize that he has never been close to taking care of even a group of people, let alone a village. He quits this ridiculous thing.

Goldberg: No he doesn't! I'm making him hyper devoted out of the blue!

Writer A: Fine! He's devoted. Then to support that, I'm letting him stand up to Cal in the fiercest way possible.

Goldberg: No let's have him want to walk away from this, this is too much.

Writer A: What?!......well maybe he can be forced out due to Cal. There! He quits.

Goldberg: Eddie the chosen son dammit!!!!

Writer A:
tTdrOlX.gif

And every character is conveniently okay with terrible tragedies/losses. As if only taco-night got cancelled. Therefore creating no momentum or anything having real impact.

Sigh, in a few months we'll see if this pathetic looking sticker works.
11680828HA.png

Fantastic script writing!

Hawk: What's going on?
Woman: It's complicated *walks away*
Hawk: Dad, Wtf?
Eddie: It's complicated *walks away*
Hawk: Cal, Wtf?
Cal: It's complicated *walks away*

Aside from that whole episode, I'm on the verge of dropping the show. I can't really tell what's going on anymore.
Sarah's upset that Eddie is back because she liked him being a denier? Was the point of the neighbor's suspicion of Sarah to get her back to the colony? Why did they even run away for only half an episode? Does Eddie actually want to lead the movement? Why? Why? Why?

I'll probably watch the start of next season to see if it is worth while anymore.
The show started out so promising too.

Ahiru77

Is this Steve’s doing? The Path TV show has been renewed for season three on Hulu. The Path season two finale, “Mercy,” was just released on the streaming service, today.

A fictional drama series centering on the Meyerism Movement, The Path stars Aaron Paul, Michelle Monaghan, Hugh Dancy, Emma Greenwell, Rockmond Dunbar, Kyle Allen, Aimee Laurence, Paul James, Clark Middleton, Britne Oldford, Peter Friedman, and Deirdre O’Connell.

According to Deadline, the third season order is for 13 episodes.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-path-season-three-renewal-hulu-cult-drama-series/

vQHpbm8.gif

Imma stock up on alcohol for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom