• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Summer TV shows will you be watching? - 2014 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good grief, Dominion looks terrible. I thought it had potential after the synopsis, but that trailer killed any interest I might have had.

It looks bad even by Sy-Fy standards.

I know you didn't like the book, but you really think the show looks awful? I think it looks pretty well done.

That opinion is based solely on the part of the first book I read. The show is hopefully amazing, since I have little choice but to watch it. I'm very doubtful.

Joni

Girl Meets World and Falling Skies are the certainties. The Last Ship is probable. The others depend on reception.

The concept behind shows like Dating Naked is incredible stupid by the way. Let's make a program which is completely dominated by the nude concept, and then let's censor it. It is the same as the naked survivor show. There is some perversity in making a show you can't actually show on TV.

M.Steiner

How did I manage to overlook the return of Orange is the New Black... loved the first season.
Yep, will definitely be watching that one too. Most likely marathon it like I did House of Cards as it's kinda hard not to when they put the whole season in front of you lol.

Zero315

Banned
Thread is great. What I'll be watching:

Returning:

24: Live Another Day (This counts as returning, right?)
Orange is the New Black
Switched at Birth
True Blood (Final season and all, I've come this far...)
Big Brother (Shush, I can't help it...)
Under the Dome (I don't know why, I really don't)

New:

Rosemary's Baby (Fully expect it to be awful, but I'm intrigued. I'll at least check it out.)
Penny Dreadful
The Normal Heart
Halt and Catch Fire (Despite the terrible name I think it looks interesting. I'll give it a couple episodes.)
The Leftovers (Looks possibly interesting)
The Strain (Read the first book and thought it was alright. Hopefully this will fix some of the pacing issues.)
The Escape Artist (I'll watch anything with Tennant in it.)

Damn, remember when summer used to be dead for TV? Plus I'll still be watching Orphan Black and Game of Thrones.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Nosferatu In Love is next in the Playhouse Presents series, stars Mark Strong and looks incredible.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll add it (and the rest of the Playhouse Presents lineup) to the thread.

The concept behind shows like Dating Naked is incredible stupid by the way. Let's make a program which is completely dominated by the nude concept, and then let's censor it. It is the same as the naked survivor show. There is some perversity in making a show you can't actually show on TV.

Seriously. When a show is based around nudity, then you should to be able to see said nudity. Otherwise what's the point?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Out of the new shows

Attack on Titan - Adult Swim
Rosemary's Baby - NBC Zoe.... the end
Gang Related Boby Boby Boby, Digi Digi Digi
Penny Dreadful Showtime FUCKIN YES
American Pharaoh - PBS Very Very interested to see this
Dominion - Syfy sounds ridiculous, Will Watch
The Leftovers HBO Looks good
Extant - CBS curious
Knights of Sidonia - Netflix Animeeeeeeeeeeeee
The Strain - FX Guillermo del Toroism

Masters of Sex
Penny Dreadful
The Leftovers
Crossbones
Falling Skies
Outlander

Edit - great thread, Ratsky.

By the way, Labyrinth looks intriguing. Any early input from our TV knowledgeable GAFfers?

beat

some thoughts:

Riot - well, hooray for more improv on TV, but I wish it was long form. This sounds like super gimmicky even for short form, what with the "trademark tilted set"...

Welcome to Sweden - might check it out. Oh, plus I have a couple of friends who've moved to Sweden recently, so I'd like to hear their input on it.

24 - Live Another Day. I might check it out, but I think I saw a review somewhere (EW?) that said the first two episodes aren't so hot.

Cesar's Last Fast - I know very little about Cesar Chavez and I want to know more, so... I might watch.

The Night Shift - not that I would watch anyways, but why does a night shift at a hospital need to also create drama between the chief doctor (?) and the hospital administrator???

Halt and Catch Fire - premise is interesting, but I have zero faith that AMC knows what good TV is at this point.

Jennifer Falls - man, if TV Land is making single-camera comedies, maybe multi-cams really are on their way out. Mostly I hope Jessica Walters has it in her contract to have whatever time to film AD that's required... Otherwise, I don't care that much but would like to check out an episode or two. Plus, hey, Jamie Pressly and Ethan Suplee reunite... again!

Mystery Girls - well, I'd read a recap.

Taxi Brooklyn - NBC

Chyler Leigh stars as hard-as-nails Det. Caitlyn "Cat" Sullivan, a woman hell-bent on finding her father's killer. After she's demoted to foot patrol for reckless driving, disobeying orders and personality conflicts, Cat meets taxi driver Leo Romba. A highly skilled driver, Leo is a charming French African from Marseille. Realizing Leo lied on his immigration forms, Cat offers him a deal: In exchange for his driving skills and taxi, she will help Leo with his immigration problem. In order to stay out of prison and avoid deportation, Leo agrees to partner with Cat and quickly becomes her personal driver, consultant and friend as they race through the streets of New York solving cases and trying to uncover the mystery behind her father's murder.
Quoted because I cannot believe the logline for Taxi Brooklyn. Did they accidentally buy this instead of Brooklyn Nine-Nine?

Matador - El Rey

Irreverent and action-packed, "Matador" chronicles the unlikely rise of Tony "Matador" Bravo, a popular soccer star who comes to be known as much for his playboy antics off the field as his dynamic moves on it. But what his fans and family don't realize is that it's all a cover - in truth, he is a skilled covert operative executing missions for a little-known branch of the CIA.
Whereas, y'know, it's El Rey, Robert Rodriguez's channel. So this sounds kinda interesting.

Working the Engels - ........ The title feels like a joke that didn't make the cut for 30 Rock (or in the same vein, Community's season 5 finale tag). "Ice Cream Cohen" was pretty good, "Working the Engels" kinda falls flat.

Seed - I've been back in Canada for eight months and I've still never gotten around to watching this. The commercials make it look, I dunno, passable.

Knights of Sidonia - the synopsis mentioned giant robots, so now I guess I have to check it out.

Togetherness - would check out an episode just cause it's HBO and the Duplass brothers.

Tyrant - I enjoyed the first two seasons of Homeland, so I'd check this out.

You're the Worst - Ratsky, I think you might have the wrong promo image here? Judy Greer and Nat Faxon are in the other FX summer sitcom, Married. (and when is that starting?)

3N16MA

Banned
r3JjxPW.jpg

This is hilarious. He looks he is modeling those jeans or dancing.

The poster is laughably bad. Is that dude supposed to be a doctor? Why is he staring off into the distance? Why is he wearing skinny jeans and a tight shirt in a hospital? Why is his shirt unbuttoned all the way down to expose his chest like that? What's up with his facial hair?

Returning
Dallas
Pretty Little Liars
Teen Wolf
True Blood

New
Men of the Strip
Mystery Girls
Penny Dreadful
The Leftovers

Maybe
Crossbones
Dominion
Escape Club
Labyrinth
Mistresses
The Maya Rudolph Show
The Quest
Vicious
Wayward Pines

That's a lot of maybes for me. I'm trying to be a lot more selective lately.

It's weird to see so many Canadian shows being repackaged for the US.

The poster is laughably bad. Is that dude supposed to be a doctor? Why is he staring off into the distance? Why is he wearing skinny jeans and a tight shirt in a hospital? Why is his shirt unbuttoned all the way down to expose his chest like that? What's up with his facial hair?
He just got off a different kind of "night shift".

Pluto

r3JjxPW.jpg

The first thing I noticed is that he's dragging an i.v. stand. Who does that? Just turn the infusion off and put the bag on the patient or hold it in your hand if you don't want to stop it. Don't drag a friggin stand behind you, that's just an accident waiting to happen.

I don't have a problem with his clothes, lots of doctors look like that at my hospital. Some wear the same scrubs as nurses, some just wear their own clothes with a white coat. The only exception is the psychiatry, where the staff isn't allowed to wear scrubs, so everyone wears street clothes.

What's also annoying is that they're wearing stethoscopes around their necks, you know who does that? Med students! Everyone else either has them in their pocket or not on them at all if they're not needed that often.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Will watch:
* The Bridge
* The Killing
* The Knick (if I can justify Cinemax on top of everything else)
* Louie
* Penny Dreadful
* Masters of Sex
* Space Dandy
* The Strain
* True Blood
* Tyrant

Will sample:
* BoJack Horseman
* Halt and Catch Fire
* The Honorable Woman
* Knights of Sidonia
* Manhattan
* Married
* Rectify (maybe I'll find time to check out season 1)
* Togetherness

Morbidly curious / hate-watch contenders:
* Extant
* The Leftovers

and maybe some of those British imports as they approach if I hear good things.

Watched all of Jonah from Tonga on Friday night because of the ABC iView promotion. It was decent.
Gonna be sad about True Blood finally ending though :(

I’ll be watching:
Louie
The Normal Heart
Orange is the New Black
True Blood
Masters of Sex
The Bridge

Will sample:
Halt and Catch Fire
24 - maybe?
The Leftovers
The Knick
The Strain
Tyrant
Married

I think I’m bailing out on Defiance and Graceland. Neither did much for me last season. I’d like to catch up on Rectify, Top of the Lake, and The Returned from last year if I have time.

I’ll do the OTs for Orange is the New Black, Masters of Sex, and The Bridge.

So many shows this summer.

24 I am definitely watching because I watched the original run.
Halt and Catch Fire has the potential to be amazing.
Penny Dreadful I will check out.
Outlander I might watch because I am interested in the books too.

Decado

What is Knights of Sidonia? Is it a Japanese show licensed by Netflix or a Netflix original? I googled the name and see it is a manga.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Attack on Titan - Adult Swim - 11:30/10:30c
Comedy Bang! Bang! - IFC - 10:30/9:30c
Last Comic Standing - NBC - 9/8c
The World Wars - History - 9/8c
Halt and Catch Fire - AMC - 10/9c
Drunk History - Comedy Central - 10/9c
Nathan For You - Comedy Central - 10:30/11:30c
The Leftovers - HBO - 10/9c
The Strain - FX
Tyrant - FX
The Bridge - FX

mr stroke

Will watch-

Masters of Sex
True Blood
The Leftovers
The Strain
Married

and of course the best new show-

VTs67sx.jpg

Dating Naked. Can't wait

Vert boil

So Gang Related then.

Eeh, I was expecting it to be laughably bad with some cool moments but it was only dumb and cliched with some okay moments. It's a lot closer to something crappy like Graceland than it is to something classy like RIP Southland. As long as it doesn't get any worse than the pilot I'll probably watch it.
It's at least worth watching the pilot for the lass from Underemployed. 8)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
looking forward to under the dumb. total guilty pleasure. dumbest best show ever.

TripOpt55

Let's see I'll definitely be watching these returning shows:

Louie
Orange is the New Black
The Killing
Franklin & Bash

And I will probably try these out and see what I like:

Penny Dreadful
Gang Related
Crossbones
Halt and Catch Fire
The Leftovers