• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What ??? That freaking noisy DVD must be inside all the time to play FFXI on Xbox 360

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
THEN WHY DID I HAVE TO SIT THROUGH SO MANY FEC*ING MINUTES INSTALLING THE PLAY ONLINE VIEWER, FFXI AND ALL THEIR UPDATES ?

(message brought you by the national association for Caps Lock abuse)

Xellotah

Panajev2001a said:
THEN WHY DID I HAVE TO SIT THROUGH SO MANY FEC*ING MINUTES INSTALLING THE PLAY ONLINE VIEWER, FFXI AND ALL THEIR UPDATES ?

Copy protection ... Its standard for PC games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
krypt0nian said:
What happens if you take it out after loading the game?

That is how I discovered the issue... I was playing the game, noticing the noise and how the Xbox 360 gets a bit warmer thanks to the extra drive activity... I then open the disc tray with the Remote... and... back to the dashboard I go. When I insert the disc again and PlayOnline boots up I am welcomed by the "some files might be corrupt... etc..." screen...

GROAR!!!!

Panajev2001a said:
That is how I discovered the issue... I was playing the game, noticing the noise and how the Xbox 360 gets a bit warmer thanks to the extra drive activity... open the disc tray with the Remote... bakc to the dashboard I go and when I insert the disc again and PlayOnline boots up I am welcomed by the "some files might be corrupt... etc..." screen...

GROAR!!!!

Crappy!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
JackFrost2012 said:
I see you have experienced the PlayOnline difference!

Well, to be fair I have my e-mails back on a console again...

No crowd cheering ? Boh...

And the graphics did get a very nice boost in Image Quality (finally, mip-mapping...) and also draw distance...

BUT WHY WHY WHY WHY IF YOU HAVE TO INSTALL IT ONTO THE DRIVE AND TAKE 5 GB OF DISC SPACE AND OTHER GAMES AND DEMOS CAN LOAD FROM THE HDD...

WHY CAN'T THE PLAYONLINE VIEWER BOOT FROM THE HDD ?!?!?

Welcome to PlayOnline! Would you like to purchase an additional Content ID for Final Fantasy XI?

(the answer, my friend, is because if you don't hate it more than any piece of software you've ever seen, then it's just not PlayOnline.)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
JackFrost2012 said:
Welcome to PlayOnline! Would you like to purchase an additional Content ID for Final Fantasy XI?

(the answer, my friend, is because if you don't hate it more than any piece of software you've ever seen, then it's just not PlayOnline.)

:lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
iapetus said:
You should ask for your money back.

Hey, I paid for the magazine...

:p.

Iapetus, if people do not make a stink about this now... they might decide against changing things for the final game ;).

teiresias

Maybe it's just for the beta so they can somewhat ensure what the server load will be by how many demo discs are out in circulation rather than people possibly using the same disc over and over to install the demo for friends to try out beta and whatnot? Just a thought, probably wrong though.

Vark

Well the only way to boot games off the HDD on the 360 is via the XBox live arcade screen. So either Playonline would have to be somewhere in your Xbox Live arcade apps or you have to put in a disc.

TwIsTeD

well considering you can`t even view the installation from the dashboard this doesnt suprise me at all, honestly while I love ffxi the beta has left a slight bad taste in my mouth

Scott

Just so you guys know, Square Enix has stated that it is a requirement for the 360. If you dislike it here, prepare to dislike it with every single MMO on the system, as they'll all require the disc to be in the system at all times.
JackFrost2012 said:
I see you have experienced the PlayOnline difference!
Nevermind the fact that they allow you to play without the disc being in the system on PS2 & PC, and would have done the same on 360 were they allowed to. And nevermind that all MMOs will have to do this on 360. And nevermind that the disc being in the system has nothing to do with PlayOnline itself.

Nevermind all that. I'm sure you're right and it's a PlayOnline issue, after all. No, really.

MrDaravon

Scott said:
Just so you guys know, Square Enix has stated that it is a requirement for the 360. If you dislike it here, prepare to dislike it with every single MMO on the system, as they'll all require the disc to be in the system at all times.Nevermind the fact that they allow you to play without the disc being in the system on PS2 & PC, and would have done the same on 360 were they allowed to. And nevermind that all MMOs will have to do this on 360. And nevermind that the disc being in the system has nothing to do with PlayOnline itself.

Nevermind all that. I'm sure you're right and it's a PlayOnline issue, after all. No, really.

oh snap

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What the heck ? Seriously, if this is true and this will not change for the retail version... I'll be really pissed. Oh well, a game that I will purchase on another console in that case ;) (if such game gets ported there too... please Square do not just let the option of Backward Compatibility with the PlayStation 2 version be the only way :().

Owning multiple platforms is always expensive, but it does offer some benefits too ;).

Scott

Panajev2001a said:
What the heck ? Seriously, if this is true and this will not change for the retail version... I'll be really pissed.
It's true:
Hiromichi Tanaka: For the Xbox 360, it requires the game disc. When you put in the FFXI disc, turn on the power, it starts up and the first thing you see is the PlayOnline viewer. And if you want to switch to Xbox Live, there's a button on the controller that allows you to jump to it, but if you're still at the PlayOnline point you can begin the game. To clarify, you do install the game to the Hard Drive, like every other version of XI, but the Xbox 360 requires that you have the disc actually in the system as part of the certification process, probably for piracy reasons.
Source: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3145765

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Scott said:

Scott, while this is true, I am not sure there are no other ways to boot it without a game disc inside (they could at least keep it from spinning as much hopefully :() .

A download from the marketplace could be used to provide a software (that is able to access the HDD) that boots the PlayOnline Viewer's content installed from the HDD and once inside the Viewer you could boot FFXI.

Sure the download might not be small, but it is not like the Demo's on the Marketplace are all that tiny... PGR3 demo is 1.25 GB (you can resume downloads after-all and I am not even sure the whole download would have to be THAT big to do what I was suggesting). They might even ask MS Points for that... a big Macro Transaction ;).

At least we know MS is to blame too for worsening the MMORPG experience.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jonnyram said:
Maybe they could make a PlayOnline bootstrap available on XBLA
for a small fee, of course

In that case I'll answer Square "how many MS points do I have to buy ?" :).

A case of "jump" --> "how high ?" moments ;).

Seriously, if there is any Square person reading these boards ( ;) ), please push this idea forward.

Top Bottom