• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the Wii? Gamestops in Burlington area report Wii in stores 2 weeks from today!

So, I got a call from my local gamestop stating that

1. I can pick up Zelda Wii in 2 weeks
2. That I can preorder Wii in 1 week
3. That Wii ships one week from when I preorder it.

Any confirmation from other sources? They called me and said these things...I have seen no threads on this...trying to confirm.

StevieP

Banned
If that's the case, it's time for a road trip. Burlington's only a couple hours away from Scarborough, if you're talking about Ontario! :D (edit: wait, Gamestops aren't in Canada... DAMN!)

In all likelyhood, they're feeding you crap - but please call again to confirm :D

garth2000

OMFG.. I just checked my answering machine, and I got a call from EB saying the same things.

And not just the Wii.. Duke Nukem Forever and the Phantom console come out the same day!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TheKingsCrown said:

Any confirmation from other sources? They called me and said these things...I have seen no threads on this...trying to confirm.

omg weeeeee!!

fugimax

Most likely there was a typo or miscommunication.

Reasoning:

It's 10/2. A week from now is 10/9. A week after that is 10/16.

Someone thinks October is the 11th month of the year, or there was a typo in the date. It all being off by 1 month exactly is suspicious.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Though most likely untrue, would there actually be any benefit to a surprise early launch (for any company/product)? Don't a lot of people say that the surprise launch of the Saturn did a lot to hurt it?

fugimax

Don't a lot of people say that the surprise launch of the Saturn did a lot to hurt it?
Only because it was literally an INSTANT launch and there wasn't much hype before it. Wii has been getting much more press than Saturn.

DSFan1970

DarthWoo said:
Though most likely untrue, would there actually be any benefit to a surprise early launch (for any company/product)? Don't a lot of people say that the surprise launch of the Saturn did a lot to hurt it?

Saturn launch was so completely out of the blue, that there were hardly any games out aside from Daytona, I think Bug and Clockwork Knight. And VF.

I doubt that with the 24/7 nature of videogame fandom that a launch can be held back today. Too many leaks.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If anything, it'll be some random K-marts or Walmarts that'll break launch, not specialty retailers. That is, until Nintendo catches wind of it and penalizes them, like what happened with the DSLs a few months ago!

Mandoric

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:

Burlington, VT? I might be doing a road trip for work...

Mar

I demand every person to storm into that store and interrogate the employees until they find out what's really going on.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Mejilan said:
If anything, it'll be some random K-marts or Walmarts that'll break launch, not specialty retailers. That is, until Nintendo catches wind of it and penalizes them, like what happened with the DSLs a few months ago!

I remember that KMarts were actually incapable of selling the DSLs early, as their registers blocked the sale prior to the launch date. A cashier would have had to actually cheat and scan a regular DS or something to sell one. I wonder why the other stores that did break the date didn't just have such a system in place.

Edit: Wouldn't we at least be hearing about shipments of product arriving at stores a couple weeks before any supposed surprise launch?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
DarthWoo said:
I remember that KMarts were actually incapable of selling the DSLs early, as their registers blocked the sale prior to the launch date. A cashier would have had to actually cheat and scan a regular DS or something to sell one. I wonder why the other stores that did break the date didn't just have such a system in place.

Edit: Wouldn't we at least be hearing about shipments of product arriving at stores a couple weeks before any supposed surprise launch?

That was after K-mart got caught, IIRC. More than a few had already been sold at that point, and it was after that the the sales were blocked in the computers. Or some such. Online orders were blocked a little later too.

TheKingsCrown said:

Did the store call you? Like the actual associates?

Store # via Store Locator on ebgames.com plz.

KINGMOKU

King, have you called the store back? Was it an automated messege? WTF man, speak up!

You cant start a topic like this, and then wander off. Answers man, NOW!

Hayami

Banned
Uhhh what is this?

Any idea what's going on in this thread?

Can someone fill me in?

I'd like to know before I have to go to work.

Those eight hours of not knowing are going to be tough.

I can always come home during my lunch break.

But then I'll have to spend 15 minutes driving.

That only leaves 15 minutes to check the thread and eat lunch.

Probably not a good idea.

Oh well.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hayami said:
Uhhh what is this?

Any idea what's going on in this thread?

Can someone fill me in?

I'd like to know before I have to go to work.

Those eight hours of not knowing are going to be tough.

I can always come home during my lunch break.

But then I'll have to spend 15 minutes driving.

That only leaves 15 minutes to check the thread and eat lunch.

Probably not a good idea.

Oh well.

I think you need to stay tuned! Something will definitely come of this thread!

I am going to call them back tomorrow to clarify and get some dates. I thought it was fishy too, and was very confused, especially when I didn't see a GAF thread on it.

TheKingsCrown said:
I am going to call them back tomorrow to clarify and get some dates. I thought it was fishy too, and was very confused, especially when I didn't see a GAF thread on it.
you still havent given me a store #

Come on guys, stop setting yourselves up. I'd love for this to be true because I can't wait to get my hands on my Wii (sorry, couldn't help it), but this is probably either a joke or the result of a clueless Gamestop employee...

whatdidyousay said:
Come on guys, stop setting yourselves up. I'd love for this to be true because I can't wait to get my hands on my Wii (sorry, couldn't help it), but this is probably either a joke or the result of a clueless Gamestop employee...
You are probably right. And what better place to rip it apart than GAF? I know that GAF will find out one way or another in 1/5 the time it would take me.

JavyOO7

TheKingsCrown said:

story.ewing.jpg

Top Bottom