• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was everyone's first computer and first computer game?

Noogy

Our first was the TI-994/a. Parsec might have been the first home cartridge I ever played.

tiparsec02.jpg

Prior to that we had a copycat Pong machine.

B4s5C

We had a crappy eMachines computer along with Star Wars Monopoly. And thats all I had from 2000 to 2011 when I built my first rig. Being poor sucked :(

Edit: Thats all I had computer-wise. Still had a gameboy that I played thousands of hours of pokemon on :)

We had a Commodore when I was a toddler, but I never used it and that doesn't count so...

2w2Ilsb.jpg

PACKARD BELL PACK-MATE 3987CD (picture is just one i found on the net)

My mom bought it from Price Club in '95. It's actually still in the basement here... I'd be interested to see what's on it if I hadn't deleted everything/reformatted (I don't remember which) before lending it to my brother after his WebTV (lol) stopped working. This was in the early 2000s so yeahhhh I don't think he used it long before getting something a *tad* more current.

Anyway, the first retail game was probably some shareware CD pack. But Nascar Racing was the real first. I also remember it having Fuji Golf, and I played lots of blackjack when we first got it and I didn't know what the heck to use it for when I was 11. Was not really aware of the internet yet.

A Dell Dimension 4600.

10153.jpg

I got a refurbished one in 2004. I believe the first game I played on it was The Sims 2.

I still have it.

Pentium 75MHz, 16MB RAM and 800MB Hard Drive, around 1995. I don't exactly remember all the specifics since I was 6 years old at the time.

First PC game I played on that was Doom with my dad. We then moved on to Quake 1 and Descent. I distinctly recall Quake running at a fairly low FPS since that PC barely met the requirements, but we managed to beat the game regardless.

Tigress

TI-99 and I can't remember the first game for it, I think my parents got a few games for it when they gave it to me. Parsec (a spaceship shooting game), Hunt the Wumpus, TI-Man (Texas Instruments' idea of a pacman clone), some soccer game, and TI-Invaders (Space Invaders). I reallly wanted an Atari cause it had a spaceship shooting game that you could bomb stuff too (parsec you only shot what was in front of you and it was my favorite game on it but I was still jealous of the Atari game).

Our first was the TI-994/a. Parsec might have been the first home cartridge I ever played.

tiparsec02.jpg

Prior to that we had a copycat Pong machine.

Sweet! Some one on here who actually knows what I'm talking about!

Don't remember my first, but I do remember playing Mortal Kombat on dos with bleeping sound effects (I think I played some green screen games before that..)..

rdaneel72

My friend's mom, a teacher, would bring home the school's Apple II+ on weekends, so we played some very early classics like the original Castle Wolfenstien (2d), Apple Panic, Sneakers and Russki Duck.

My first was the whopping 128k Apple IIc, with Wizardry I: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. So much graph paper...

First computer was a Pentium 133, didn't game on it. Had a P3 667 with 384MB of ram and an Ati 7000 vivo built and saw Rogue Spear in the shop when I made my order.

King Al B

Packard Bell
Pentium 100mhz
4mb RAM
850mb HDD

I want to say my first PC game was either Doom or Goblins on MS DOS. It had Win 3.1 but must games i starting play were DOS.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
gSNd3PX.jpg

My parents got me that for my 4th or 5th birthday. It came with Bomb Jack, Outrun, Space Harrier and Carrier Command.

k79D7XA.gif

aNRk7J0.png

4vcuJvF.png

9UcBWpT.gif

Good times. ;_;

tav7623

The first one I bought or the first one I played?

The first computer I bought was a Dell Dimension 8300N Desktop and the first PC game I bought was Test Drive 5.

The first computer I played on was my dad's Commodore 64 and the first game I played was either Ghostbusters, Mission: Impossible, or Predator (I can't remember which one I played first, but I do remember playing all 3 of them)

Krejlooc

Banned
Is it weird that I want to watch a dramatized documentary of your life? Or something like the wonder years.

LOL, I speak fondly of my youth like many people do because of nostalgia, but I really did have a pretty awesome time growing up due in large part to having a father who was very supporting of my interest in computers and video games. He always thought it was a great thing that I was spending my time absorbed in computers.

To this day, I still collect and build old computers, and talk to my dad about which ones I'm into. I actually got him to build a retro Windows 3.1 computer and a retro windows 95 computer a while back alongside me, he had a blast doing it. I tell him quite a bit about the Amiga these days, I wish so badly he would have known about it back then because it would have been right up his alley.

urg87CA.jpg

In fact, here we are installing Windows 95 in his office, lol

Is it weird that I want to watch a dramatized documentary of your life? Or something like the wonder years.
My head canon is that Krejlooc went back in the past to preserve everything he has anyway. A master of nostalgia. So I don't think so.

Heartfyre

No idea on the specs of the computer, but it ran MSDOS and Windows 3.1. It was my dad's computer, but he had a load of different games on it. The most vivid in my memory are the King's Quest games, alongside Rescue Rover 1 and 2 (amazing games that no one seems to remember), Gods, Lemmings, Zool 2, and Mario Bros. I don't know how or why Mario Bros. was on this PC, but it was.

One of the earliest photographs of me as a toddler is when I fell asleep in front of this computer, right at the desk. I used it a lot.

I was also BBC Micro Model B.

For everyone born in the early - mid 80s, this was the most likely first computer. I actually grew up in Leeds where the BBC Micro was made. It had a great selection of games from Acornsoft and Superior Software and it gave some young game designers and programmers a start. I think Chris Roberts (of the unlimited money kickstarter fame) actually wrote Stryker's Run. It was also where the ARM architecture was born.

cripterion

Man I can barely remember. All I know is had to use MS-DOS to launch the games that were on floppy disks. Ultima underworld, budokan, that banana kong game, were amongst the first I played I think.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
kDVRCZZaJ2YgZl4hedwMR2V1LGpiKvf_2EdKGGPbeVRC40WzFtd1NFIJbNPSGOkx3xFAi98ULK3_vyaRpU1MKE8um2k2v5ZCYglHFG1YqIo6T7WAqNI3j2Vd7pMLKU8RwQ=w511-h288-nc

My good old MSX. I had Yie Ar Kung Fu and H.E.R.O. cartridges before I got to cassette tapes, floppy disks...

Gateway custom package with printer and a ton of games and software for like $4,000. Had Windows 95 (years later I checked a the disc indeed had Buddy Holly by Weezer on it) and Office 97.

First game was Muppet Treasure Island. To this day the game I've beaten the most times. Less than 10 but the runnerups are only 2 playthroughs.

MTIgame.jpg

600full-muppet-treasure-island-cover.jpg

I loved this game. Movie is also very good. Probably my favorite Muppets movie.

Don't remember the computer exactly but it ran windows 95, used to play a lot of Putput and Fatty bear on it :p, also might've played Aladdin and The Lion King around that time too.

I dont remenber the name of my first computer game... It had a Cat, a Rat and some cheese... I was around 6, im 37...

Anyway later my gaming computer was the zx spectrum.... Chukie Egg😍

calder

Youngsters! ;)

My family's first computer as the Coleco ADAM.

adam.gif

May I can still hear the daisy wheel printer as my mom printed out a letter or something. We got it when it was still pretty new, so 1985 or so. As it was a Coleco it had many games ported to it, my favourites at the time were Dam Busters (my god I loved that game, the Coleco controller with the number pad was key!) and Pitfall but those were just Colecovision games I think.

My first computer game proper I guess was Super Zaxxon, because that was only on the ADAM. I still remember my brother and I waiting for the tape drive to load the game lol.

D3RANG3D

51-tYw3GVJL.jpg

PC
Compaq Presario 5192
Pentium 2 450 Mhz
128MB RAM
Ati Rage Pro 4MB VRAM
2x DVD-ROM Also My first DVD Player
Zip Drive
12GB HDD one of those Bigfoot Monstrosities.

I was gaming at 1024 x 768 on a 19 Monitor.

The first PC game I owned were Chronomaster got before we had a PC and Incoming by Rage Software came with my package PC along with Carmen San Diego and Oregon Trail etc., I later bought Rainbow Six, honestly though the first PC games I ever played would be Number Munchers/Oregon Trail on Apple 2E/Mac school computers.

Top Bottom