• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was everyone's first computer and first computer game?

VARIA

Had a Pentium II with no games but I had AOL and they always had downloadable demos. My first demos were Half-Life and Rainbow Six, both games were mind blowing for me, being that my last console was the N64.

We had some DOS based machine that my dad installed "Mario is Missing", some tom and jerry game and some wierd little sidescrolling dungeon crawler onto. Years later we got a compaq with like a 2gb hard-drive and I played Wacraft 2 on it as my intro to windows gaming.

ehead

Back in 98, we had our very own Pentium II computer. The games I remember playing with my older brothers include Commander Keen, Pre2, Jazz Jack Rabbit. But those were games we got from floppy discs shared in school. The "real" first game we installed was this:
Hunter_Hunted_cover.jpg

I kinda miss it. Been waiting for it to be released in GOG.

Gastone

Me and my Brother started off with a C-64 and a zipstick. Way too many games (mostly copied) too remember. Great memories

Broank

I just remember playing some Sesame Street game and watching my dad play this: No Idea what exact computer brand it was but it was dos

molotrok

A cheap Emachines desktop. My first game on it was Vice city. I had a pretty good time with it. But my second PC game was "The longest journey". It blew my mind, and changed my perception on what games could be.

Menteith

Neo Member
I was 4 years old, putting my hands on a Commodore 64, playing Pitstop II.

What followed were hundreds and countless of games.

28 years later I remember it like it was yesterday.....

Ont

IBM Aptiva, Pentium 166Mhz, some ATI Rage card.

Mechwarrior 2 arrived with the computer, but the first game I bought was Quake.

First computer was an Atari 130XE

atari-130-xe.jpg

First game was either Fighter Pilot or Elektraglide... both on cassette tape of course.

What I miss most is the magic of going to the store with my parents, hoping they had a game for my system, drooling over the cover art, and then coming home and wait for the tape to load.

In 1997 my parents gave me their old 486 with Windows 95, given that I was 7 years old at the time it's somewhat difficult to remember but I definitely played Doom (SW), Doom II (Full), Wolfenstein 3D (SW), Blake Stone (SW), Star Control, The Dig, Duke Nukem 3D (SW) and even attempted to play things like Quake, Dark Reign, Myst and Mechwarrior later on.

All that said I'm fairly certain that my first game was EA's Sesame Street Numbers... that's embarrassing.

blurr

Don't remember the specifications of my first computer but my first game on it was Half-Life. It was in 98 and I was 6, could barely manage the controls, very overwhelming for me at that time.

Eila

A HP from 2000 with a Pentium Celeron processor. Came with Windows Me. As for games I had Gex Enter the Gecko, Legoland, Lego Rock Raiders. They were pretty good.

SPCTRE

First PC I actually owned was a 286, must have been around 1993/94. I was 8 or 9.

pc286.jpg

It looked pretty much like this one, 3.5 and 5 inch floppy drives. No Sound Blaster. Behind the times of course, no 90s CD-ROM games for me back then.

It ran Windows 3.1, so I played a ton of SkiFree.

Also, Hyperoid and Banania, the latter being an obscure German block-pushing puzzle game.

8086 amstrad running dos....2? I think. Had the now classic 640k ram and a 20MB HD.

Games were Street fighter 1 and Prince of Persia(bought at the same time). The sf port is an incredibly bad port of an already mediocre game, but prince of Persia was and remains one of the greatest games ever made.

God only knows if I'd still be a gamer had it just been sf1.

Bl@de

Game: Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders

Computer: Some Intel 386 notebook my dad had for work
cl572xhk7n.jpg

xKMgqxF.png

I remember playing Castle Master as a young'un with my Dad on his PC. I don't know much about the computer except it was pretty amazing watching him play a golf game and hearing noises like the frogs chirping or whatever it was meant to be.

ss_lemonade

I was introduced to computers pretty late and even then, my first computer was a hand me down 486 dx (while everyone else I knew had pentium 2s and 3s). While I had a terrible time trying to manage its 400mb or so hdd (that has free space fluctuating between 10mb and 40mb), I thought it still was a pretty great experience because I was able to play stuff like Raptor and the original Command and Conquer on it

Vaga

HC 90, romanian made ZX80 clone. It and its power brick overheated like a motherfucker, keyboard was shit, games took ages to load off cassette tapes but 9 yo me was having such a blast playing Dizzy, Saboteur, Lode Runner, Chuckie Egg. I'll never forget those beautiful loading sounds it made.

ICE-Felix_HC-91_40key.jpg

Cynn

It was a beige Pentium 75 tower. I played MegaRace, Doom and Descent.

I used Prodigy Internet. Well it used me really.

Tomtis

Well, technically the Commodore 64 was my first computer but I was way to young to handle it. But remember games like "Golf" and "Gold, Silver, Broze".

However the first computer game i was old enough to be hyped about were this:
Theme_Park_cover.jpg

Still remember to this day when we bought it. Probably one of my earliest memories! Guess I got my priorities straight even then.

This thread after seeing everyone elses posts...makes me not feel old(er)

latest

mine

my progression

Atari 2600 - commodore 64 - nes - snes - ps1/n64 - ps2/gamecube/gameboy advance - wii/ds- PC

consoles ended for me in 1998 when i moved to PC

We'll see what happens with NX...if its worth it ill pick one up and only if its backwards compatible with wii u games i missed out on

Rich!

Leaving consoles out of it, my first computer was this:

bbc-micro.jpg

And my first game for it was...well, we had loads which I don't know the names of, apart from this:

image_preview

Granny's garden.

This was at school though. We didn't get a home computer until 1995 - a windows 3.11. Played lots of DOS games on that one.

Leaving consoles out of it, my first computer was this:

bbc-micro.jpg

And my first game for it was...well, we had loads which I don't know the names of, apart from this:

image_preview

Granny's garden.

This was at school though. We didn't get a home computer until 1995 - a windows 3.11. Played lots of DOS games on that one.

did you play dinosaur discovery though???

My first computer was this beautiful machine:

First game (one of first at least but still most important to me - this game made me a gamer for life)

Unfortunately i didn't own it on cartridge for Atari 800, only on casette :p

(but i've got it also for Atari 2600 on cart, which i get from my uncle :) )

My first PC was a 286 Compaq with a 2MB of RAM and 200MB(?) HDD

Played Cmdr. Keen and Wolf 3D.

My eyeballs were seared that week....lol

Azzawon

Unfortunately for me, I started out with a Dell Windows ME computer. I was 6 at the time, but my first game was this absolute GOAT.

Rollercoaster_Tycoon_logo.png

I still play it to this day.

Scoot2005

Banned
Crappy E-Tower. Starcraft. I was in fucking heaven.

Edit - I walked out the morning after Christmas to ask my dad if I can get on the computer that was in my room. He was like "it's yours you can get on it whenever you want." I was so fucking happy.

Garibaldi

My dad bought us a used Commodore 64 and tons of most likely pirated games way back in the day.

I don't recall which game we played first but I remember me and my brother playing the shit out of World Games and California Games.

My first proper PC was a Gateway 2000 Pentium 60MHz which I bought for 'educational' purposes with some money my parents had saved for me since I was a nipper. First game on that was the 5 disc version of Doom 2. Which I absolutely loved. That and Encarta 95 and Cinemania 95.

VNZ

Li68kmR.jpg

j0sLVzL.png

As keen as I am to dust off old consoles and give them a spin, I've lost the patience to give old computers the same treatment... Actually I haven't played Jet Pac since the mid 80s.

My first computer was this beauty:
fpP5QUO.jpg

Apple ][e

First game:
tFvi6Ap.jpg

Zork. My dad used to read the text to me and we'd play it together. Apply some modern AA techniques and the graphics are just as cutting edge today as they were back then.

My family was very late to the computer party. Had consoles since the NES, but had no money for computers. When I finally got my own, it was a Toshiba Satellite laptop and my first game was Battlefield 1942. To this day, it's one of my favourite and most memorable gaming experiences.

It was an Amstrad CPC 6128 with a monochrome screen
CPC6128_08.jpg

I was very young so the first game (and many others) was pirated and it was called Saboteur. Great game.
sab3.png

Sijil

First PC that I owned was a Pentium 1, set my dad back 1600$ in 1995.

As for the the game that I got for it, and the reason that I got the PC in the first place was this beauty:

Cncra-win-cover.jpg

My brother had a Commandore 64, but the first PC we had was a prebuilt Compaq 486. It came with Win 3.11 but we upgraded to 95 later. One of the games that came with it was this space combat / point and click adventure game with real life actors called Inca II. Overall a pretty weird game, but it had it's charm. Never finished it, but I heard it had some insane puzzles by the end.

Other than that, I guess the first games I played on a PC were Tetris and Lost Vikings on my aunt's computer.

Top Bottom