• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was Street Fighter 1 like?

We always talk about SFII and its many iterations, but I never hear anyone talk about the original SF. Was it really bad, or just "ok"? I've always wondered what it was like.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
streetfighter7ub3qt.jpg

The original sucked....at least to me it did. Of course, I played it after having played SF2....so my judgement could have been a little off due to the awesomeness SF2.

Brofist

Umm of course after playing SF2 the controls were bad, but at it's release it was bad ass. And who can forget the arcade setup with the giant pressure sensitive buttons that you had to smash to pull off moves.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
If it was bad, we had abolsutely no idea back in '86, that's for sure. It was way better than anything similar at the time.

It was THE game.

Only played the big button version once.

Brofist

I played the big button version tons of times. Man your arm would feel like a lead weight after playing for long

cStreet_Fighter.jpg

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
In retrospect, the controls were horrid. Lag for not only buttons but joystick movement and the hadouken/tatsumakisenpuukiyaku/shoryuken movements had to be pinpoint accurate (remember lag..) for them to come out.

Back then...I didn't care. It was the best Fighting game to comeout due to the big detailed sprites and the variety of characters. Finished it a couple of times without seeing a Shoryuken until the PC-Engine Fighting Street.

<nu>faust

for its time, it was a great game (although that pressure sentitive button system and collision detection kinda sucked) but soon after sf2 came and.........changed everything including our standarts for a good beat-em up

Synbios459 said:
We always talk about SFII and its many iterations, but I never hear anyone talk about the original SF. Was it really bad, or just "ok"? I've always wondered what it was like.

for it's time it was awesome very innovative, and there were two versions of it out

one with multiple buttons (the different levels of punch and kicks) and one with 2 giant rubber buttons that depending on how hard you hit them decided the strength ofthe attack

the problem with SF was that the technology just wasn't there yet to really be able to read the controller movements that would let you do super moves and such

so pulling off super moves like a hadoken were 9 time sout of 10 more luck than skill

they finally got the technology right with SFII and the rest is history

Geek

Ninny Prancer
At the time I thought it was a competent arcade title -- enough to keep my interested to the point of playing through it a dozen times -- but I'd never play it again. With the exception of Geki, the entire game could be run through just throwing massively damaging fireballs.

I only played the 6-button version once or twice. It seemed to alien to me.

MMaRsu

Banned
LakeEarth said:
Yeah cause we've never seen that before.

And its parry, not block. Much different. If he blocked he was dead.

JEEEEEEEEEEEEZ sorry for trying to share a cool movie. And I know it's parry, just forgot cuz haven't played SF in such a while.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I wouldn't mind a Quick and Dirty SF 1 remake with SF2 controls....

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
kpop100 said:
Umm of course after playing SF2 the controls were bad, but at it's release it was bad ass. And who can forget the arcade setup with the giant pressure sensitive buttons that you had to smash to pull off moves.

The only possible correct response.

DaCocoBrova

I remember after my orthodontist appointments, I'd head on over to FAO Schwartz (NY) and play the TG16 CD version. The Asian kids were like Gods at the game ad taught us all the ins and outs.

Good times

DaCocoBrova

Fighting Street was the US version. I think there was a licensing conflict or something.

Was the big button version preferred? The control setup is identical to SF2 and all the other SFs. I remember looking at the panel like... 'The f uck am I supposed to do w/ all these buttons?!'

Zapages

I have the PC version of the game.... I beat the game once or twice. It was ok, but I played SF2 before I played SF...

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
perplexcity said:
So was there a difference between Street Fighter 1 and Fighting Street? Cuz I only played the latter.
Yes, load times :p

Other than that, no.

Who were the characters in the game?

How many were there?

Was Ken in the game?

What was the story?

Were the moves the same outside of the Hadouken etc (i.e. hold down, up + punch)?

Did Sagat have the scar across his chest, and if not, did Ryu give it to him if you beat the game with him?

EDIT: I agree with the uselessness of that Wikipedia entry. Why the hell would anybody link to that as if it was going to answer any of our questions?

Baker

Banned
anotherworld said:
i think fighting street was the Turbo Grafx version of the arcade.

I played Fighting Street at the arcade (unless my memory is completely fried). I don't remember anything about the button layout, just being pissed off that I couldn't throw fireballs like the guy I was playing against.

DaCocoBrova

1p = Ryu (freckles and red hair)
2p = Ken

No selectable characters

The people you fought were:

Birdie, Eagle, Lee, Gen, Ninja (forgot his name)...

*Fires up MAME*

Matt_C

DaCocoBrova said:
Was the big button version preferred? The control setup is identical to SF2 and all the other SFs. I remember looking at the panel like... 'The f uck am I supposed to do w/ all these buttons?!'

That's what I thought too since I never heard of Street Fighter in 1991 even though I did hear of Fighting Street in some old Game Players Magazine once I was bitten by the Ninja Gaiden bug in the same time period.

My brother thought Ryu Hayabusa was stronger than the other Ryu at the time (both shared the same cover of the magazine I mentioned earlier). Now, I will disagress since Hayabusa has no chance with Hoshi's vacuum Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku or Shin Shoryuken can slice a mans torso as much as a sword.

As for Street Fighter, I honestly did not know what to do so I basically pressed jab and short since I only knew about 2 button controls at the time since I grew up NES, Way of Exploding Fist, and Yie Air Kung Fu on C64. Sadly, I could not last that long against Joe.

Ah such is life.

Baker

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
1p = Ryu (freckles and red hair)
2p = Ken

No selectable characters

The people you fought were:

Birdie, Eagle, Lee, Gen, Ninja (forgot his name)...

*Fires up MAME*

Wasn't Sagat in there since that's where he got his scar from Ryu's shoryuken?

DaCocoBrova

****, this game is 20 years old...

perplexcity said:
Wasn't Sagat in there since that's where he got his scar from Ryu's shoryuken?

I figured that was rather obvious...

225px-Sf1arcade.jpg

Vrolokus

Banned
PlayStation Tree said:
Who were the characters in the game?

How many were there?

Was Ken in the game?

What was the story?

Were the moves the same outside of the Hadouken etc (i.e. hold down, up + punch)?

Did Sagat have the scar across his chest, and if not, did Ryu give it to him if you beat the game with him?

Let me see... Ryu and Ken were the player characters. CPU opponents were Retsu and Geki in Japan, Joe and Mike (who is arguably M.Bison/Balrog in SF2) in the USA, Lee and Gen in China, Birdie (a tall white punk in this game) and Eagle in England, and Adon and Sagat in Thailand.

As mentioned, Ken is in it, sorta. He was the Player 2 character.

No story - just a worldwide tournament of the greatest fighters in the world.

The special moves were the same for Ryu (hadoken, shoryuken, hurricane kick), but were extremely difficult to pull off even though the motions were the same. I believe this is mostly due to design: they did incredible amounts of damage. A fireball took at least a third of an opponent's life bar away, and doing either the hurricane kick or dragon punch up close could kill an opponent outright, even if he was at full health.

But like I said, they were hard to pull off... 95% of the time you never saw or used them in normal play.

Sagat has no scar on his chest in the original SF. Then ending doesn't say anything about that happening, though... that was probably invented by the SF2 team later on.

People are being too hard on this game because they didn't play it until after SF2 hit. Yes, SF2 is superior (it's superior to most fighting games that came out since, too), but AT THE TIME Street Fighter "1" was pretty cool. The music was awesome, the graphics were really good, and the gameplay was unique.

Baker

Banned
Vrolokus said:
Sagat has no scar on his chest in the original SF. Then ending doesn't say anything about that happening, though... that was probably invented by the SF2 team later on.

The power of the wiki...

Only one fighter managed to reach Sagat: a young ansatsuken practitioner named Ryu. Initially, Sagat was able to defeat all of Ryu's attacks, and was sure that he was the winner of the match. However, Ryu became desperate to win the fight and was consumed by a powerful "killing intent" and executed the Metsu Shoryuken, grievously wounding Sagat and leaving a massive scar across his chest. (This is, of course, a retcon from the earlier version, which had Ryu scarring Sagat with a single Shoryuken.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagat

Shapermc

For the original poster: Why didn't you just play the game? Are you that lazy that you have to create a thread and let other people tell you about the game? Use google or mame or a PSP, quit being lazy.

Top Bottom