• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was Street Fighter 1 like?

Vrolokus

Banned
perplexcity said:
The power of the wiki...

Only one fighter managed to reach Sagat: a young ansatsuken practitioner named Ryu. Initially, Sagat was able to defeat all of Ryu's attacks, and was sure that he was the winner of the match. However, Ryu became desperate to win the fight and was consumed by a powerful "killing intent" and executed the Metsu Shoryuken, grievously wounding Sagat and leaving a massive scar across his chest. (This is, of course, a retcon from the earlier version, which had Ryu scarring Sagat with a single Shoryuken.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagat

I know that's the lore; he asked if they show or describe any of that in the Street Fighter game, though - and the answer to that is "no".

RuGalz

This is all I play on PSP Capcom Collection... :lol Oh the memories. Used to be able to pull off all the moves 100% of the time but now only about 70. :(

Shapermc said:
For the original poster: Why didn't you just play the game? Are you that lazy that you have to create a thread and let other people tell you about the game? Use google or mame or a PSP, quit being lazy.

STFU. Besides the fact that he may not have the means to play the game, this is a video game forum, and making topics like this is exactly the point. If you dont have any interest in the questions/answers, dont bother replying. Simple as that.

LakeEarth said:
Yeah cause we've never seen that before.

And its parry, not block. Much different. If he blocked he was dead.

That video STILL gives me goosebumps eveytime I see it. One hell of a display of control and technique. (I'm such a dweeb I even have that video on my PSP).

Anyway, I rememer there being two versions of SF in the arcade. One used the joystick and six buttons, and the other used these two big rubber pads (kinda like a hybrid between a drum and a breast :lol ). Anyway the first time I even played SF was on the latter and I thought my arms were goign to fall off. :lol

Tr4nce

Apharmd Battler said:
That video STILL gives me goosebumps eveytime I see it. One hell of a display of control and technique. (I'm such a dweeb I even have that video on my PSP).

Anyway, I rememer there being two versions of SF in the arcade. One used the joystick and six buttons, and the other used these two big rubber pads (kinda like a hybrid between a drum and a breast :lol ). Anyway the first time I even played SF was on the latter and I thought my arms were goign to fall off. :lol

I'm from Europe and although I speak quite a bit English, can you explain to me the difference between parrying and blocking?

By the way, why did SF 3rd Strike never make it to Europe? The animations and graphics look so nice.

Baker

Banned
Jcgamer60 said:
Wow, i never even knew there was a street fighter 1. Capcom sure did a good job on covering up its past.

The video game industry hasn't got that bad where companies make the sequel before the original.
Yet.

Jcgamer60

i remember searching for street fighter 1 info many years ago, i couldnt find anything. All this information is new to me and very interesting :)

Question: Are the people who worked on street fighter 2 the exact same people who worked on the first one?

LakeEarth

Apharmd Battler said:
Yeah, I regret being so harsh when that vid was posted. I'm so used to the SRK forums that I think I caught some of their elitism. Shoo, SHOO!

And I have that entire match on my computer. It kinda lessens the impact though, cause that parry-win was only the first in a '2 out of 3" fight for 3rd place :lol

Shapermc

PlayStation Tree said:
STFU. Besides the fact that he may not have the means to play the game, this is a video game forum, and making topics like this is exactly the point. If you dont have any interest in the questions/answers, dont bother replying. Simple as that.
Is this intended to scare me? Are we playing an FPS online and you need to type really fast? Seriously, he could have made a post something more to the point of: "Hey, I have never played SF but here is some info. I hear it is no good, what do you guys think." Also, while emulation is "OMG EVIL" he has a damn computer since he is posting from it, he can run Street Fighter on mame. There is a difference between making a thread to talk about something that you want more information on and not doing any kind of information or fact checking at all. It's just damn lazy and you're feeding it.

Street Fighter one is slow and plodding. It has a terrible pace to it. The Capcom Collection for the PSP has it in it and it exemplifies this. It started an excellent legacy and is pretty funny in retrospect.

karasu

I was a kid when it came out but I'll never forget the match where I killed Sagat with a single Dragon Punch. It was awesome! The game had these uber deep voices that sounded like they were speaking in slow motion, and these huge buttons thaty you could attack with major ferocity. Ryu was ugly and Birdie was a white guy.

Vrolokus

Banned
TG16fightingstreet.jpg

Original (white) Birdie from Street Fighter.

street-fighter-5.png

Retsu of Japan pwned in the Amstrad version.

FightingStreet_Adon.jpg

Ryu and Adon in the TGCD version.

Vrolokus

Banned
Sf1.gif

Retsu

Sf2.gif

Joe

Sf3.gif

Mike... Mike may or may not be the boxer from SF2, M(ike) Bison, renamed Balrog in the USA.

Sf4.gif

Lee

Sf5.gif

Gen, familiar to the Alpha folk.

Sf6.gif

Eagle

Sf7.gif

Adon, who was an incredibly aggressive bitch in SF.

Sf8.gif

And Sagat, without scar.

Can you tell I have a soft spot for this game? ;)

MMaRsu

Banned
LakeEarth said:
Yeah, I regret being so harsh when that vid was posted.

You are forgiven ;).

Ofcourse alot of people here haven't seen it yet :). But it's a great vid, I also used to have it on my psp lol :D

Shapermc said:
Street Fighter one is slow and plodding. It has a terrible pace to it. The Capcom Collection for the PSP has it in it and it exemplifies this. It started an excellent legacy and is pretty funny in retrospect.

Now there you go! There's a constructive answer to the OP's question! Here's a cookie!

Shapermc said:
Is this intended to scare me?

Oh yeah, and BTW, grow the **** up.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Vrolokus said:
Sf1.gif

Retsu

Sf2.gif

Joe

Sf3.gif

Mike... Mike may or may not be the boxer from SF2, M(ike) Bison, renamed Balrog in the USA.

Sf4.gif

Lee

Sf5.gif

Gen, familiar to the Alpha folk.

Sf6.gif

Eagle

Sf7.gif

Adon, who was an incredibly aggressive bitch in SF.

Sf8.gif

And Sagat, without scar.

Can you tell I have a soft spot for this game? ;)

Someone is missing...

Also, with Mike (Tyson), the guy you fight at Mt. Rushmore, there's a trick. He's hard to beat straight up, so just back all the way up to the corner of the screen and do a low block (hold d, db) and you'll block all his punches. Tricky part is hitting him beforehand so that it doesn't end up in a draw.

Loops

The game was really really good at the time... and it gave some of the rules that SF2 and the others followed.
The controls were hard and to throw a fire ball was really something, but it was part of the magic. The characters were really cool and the graphics were awesome. You also had the "bonus stages".

People who don't like it should have play it in arcade before SF2 because of course it's now aged a lot. But I can still remember how excited I was before playing it ><.

Vrolokus

Banned
geki.gif

Geki of Japan. He was an evil SOB since he threw shurikens and could teleport.

sfus0016.png

sfus0032.png

Bonus games!

sfus0067.png

sfus0069.png

sfus0071.png

sfus0072.png

Sagat challenged and defeated.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Bonus games were dope, albeit easy.

"Ow wiiiiiyt!"

As you can see, Capcom pixel artists were always the shit, even then.

Vrolokus

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Someone is missing...

Also, with Mike (Tyson), the guy you fight at Mt. Rushmore, there's a trick. He's hard to beat straight up, so just back all the way up to the corner of the screen and do a low block (hold d, db) and you'll block all his punches. Tricky part is hitting him beforehand so that it doesn't end up in a draw.

Yeah, I had trouble tracking down a pic of Geki... found one, though.

I forgot about that trick to beat Mike! It was the only way I could beat him too... he hit HARD.

RuGalz

Vrolokus said:
Yeah, I had trouble tracking down a pic of Geki... found one, though.

I forgot about that trick to beat Mike! It was the only way I could beat him too... he hit HARD.

His punch still goes through sometimes when the game lags or whatever. Just fireball him to death! I love it when he blocks every single fireball, more points! :D

Allen

kpop100 said:
I played the big button version tons of times. Man your arm would feel like a lead weight after playing for long

cStreet_Fighter.jpg

Ha! I totally remember that machine.

… and yes, it was terrible.

My brother thought Ryu Hayabusa was stronger than the other Ryu at the time (both shared the same cover of the magazine I mentioned earlier). Now, I will disagress since Hayabusa has no chance with Hoshi's vacuum Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku or Shin Shoryuken can slice a mans torso as much as a sword.

OMG... did you just call him Hoshi?

Ryck

Shapermc said:
Is this intended to scare me? Are we playing an FPS online and you need to type really fast? Seriously, he could have made a post something more to the point of: "Hey, I have never played SF but here is some info. I hear it is no good, what do you guys think." Also, while emulation is "OMG EVIL" he has a damn computer since he is posting from it, he can run Street Fighter on mame. There is a difference between making a thread to talk about something that you want more information on and not doing any kind of information or fact checking at all. It's just damn lazy and you're feeding it.

Yeah what the hell is wrong with you people trying to discuss video games on a video game forum.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
olubode said:
In retrospect, the controls were horrid. Lag for not only buttons but joystick movement and the hadouken/tatsumakisenpuukiyaku/shoryuken movements had to be pinpoint accurate (remember lag..) for them to come out.
It wasn't lag. Capcom knew the moves were overpowered, so they tossed in a randomizer for "balance".

Grifter

Freshmaker said:
It wasn't lag. Capcom knew the moves were overpowered, so they tossed in a randomizer for "balance".

Wow. This game has always been plagued with mis-informed details but this one takes the cake.

Maybe since the game was out before the Internet had these "secret moves," a lot of incorrect crap came about.

Most of you played it after SF2 but for years, SF really pushed the boundaries in graphics, controls (I played found 6 button machines), music, every way that games are measured, but Capcom did this with regularity at the time.

Freshmaker said:

this is 100% FALSE

I don't know if you would call it lag more so the technology for reading joystick "combos" just wasn't there yet hence why you could pull off a perfect hadoken 10 times in a row and only 2 or 3 would actually go

Grifter

Shin Johnpv said:
this is 100% FALSE

I don't know if you would call it lag more so the technology for reading joystick "combos" just wasn't there yet hence why you could pull off a perfect hadoken 10 times in a row and only 2 or 3 would actually go

this is 100% FALSE

Move detection was unforgiving but if you did it right (motion, timing), it works every time.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Grifter said:
Wow. This game has always been plagued with mis-informed details but this one takes the cake.

Maybe since the game was out before the Internet had these "secret moves," a lot of incorrect crap came about.
Capcom stated that in an interview ages ago.

GrandPipe

ok, read the thread, checked wiki entries. now i ask questions like where is the games like Namco x Capcom and other crossovers like this? What other games like that have not been released outside of japan?

monoRAIL

Banned
I loved SF1. I used to only play it and R-Type in the arcades.

Some SF1 tips:

- If you wiggle the joystick from forwards to down really fast and mash the light and medium punch buttons (like hyper olympics) you'll do a dragon punch or fireball every 3 or 4 seconds. That was the only way I could win. None of my friends actually knew the d,df,f punch or f,d,df punch combos for the special moves until SF2 came out.

- You only need to get one hit on Mike to win. After you hit him, back off into the corner and crouch-block - he can't hurt you!

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Freshmaker said:
news to me.

And how I beat mike was to jump to the back of the screen and PRAY for fireballs to come out. If I hit him he usually took the full fireball since he would be jumping to move foreward. If he go to close it would turn into jumping roundhouse time to try and get to the other side of the screen before he got to close. Get to the other side and pray for Hurricane Kicks. Usually worked 80% of the time.

Skullkid

monoRAIL said:
- If you wiggle the joystick from forwards to down really fast and mash the light and medium punch buttons (like hyper olympics) you'll do a dragon punch or fireball every 3 or 4 seconds. That was the only way I could win. None of my friends actually knew the d,df,f punch or f,d,df punch combos for the special moves until SF2 came out.

Yes! That's the only way my brother and I (as little kids on the Turbografix) could beat Sagat. We would put the controller on the floor and rub the d-pad forward/down while tapping the punch button.

Top Bottom