• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the biggest GAF meltdown in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeaconKnowledge said:
Was I the only one who thought this thread was about forum posters and not events when I read the title?

I was gonna mention one, but I guess it would be faux pas now..

Nah, thats what i thought it was about too..

jjasper

Man I wish some of you guys could have seen the DC/Sega meltdowns, it led to people actively calling out Sony bias, left and right bannings and the development of an basically an twisted twin forum.

Plus you could see people that didn't leave starting to align with MS just cause they hated Sony so much for killing the system.

Kosma

Banned
jjasper said:
Man I wish some of you guys could have seen the DC/Sega meltdowns, it led to people actively calling out Sony bias, left and right bannings and the development of an basically an evil twin forum.

Plus you could see people that didn't leave starting to align with MS just cause they hated Sony so much for killing the system.

What was the evil twin forum?

I guess that deep inside I'm one of those old Sega fans that became an Xbox owner. Altough I don't hate Sony (own a PSP etc.) I somehow feel that the Sega feeling has passed (a little bit) to the Xbox.

Oblivion said:
-Wii's Specs revealing
Maybe a slow melt, that one. Since Nintendo never actually stated these things, we'd get bits of info at a time that not everyone actually believed.
donny2112 said:
The biggest I've seen is the DQIX announcement. That or the Revolution controller unveiling.
SnakeXs said:
Wiimote unveiled
599 US DOllars
Good choices.
GaimeGuy said:
To be honest, though, a LOT of places were giving vague "hints" that there'd be some big stuff revealed. All the gunpowder was gathered, and drinky's post was the spark that set off the explosion. :lol
Drinky assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand, so to speak.

To bring up something I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning, the initial PSP announcement at E3 2003 was pretty big.

Revolution Remote unveiling

Wii name unveiling

The few days of E3 2006 total madness ("Nintendo wins, Sony loses". Especially the Sony conference was utterly brilliant. :lol)

DQIX to DS

Thursdayton

Some NPD threads (like the one from February if I recall correctly)

The Media Create threads from the last 2 years, with the rise of the DS. That doomed little handheld went on the pulver sales records week after week. Amazing.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I've only been here since the summer of 06' so the only one of I've borne witness to was DQIX.

I really really want to see the Sega DC threads mentioned.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
skinnyrattler said:
Also, fun to hear Amirox be shouted down after veteran DQ players combated his hatred with the facts that DQ has always had lesser graphics.
:lol That was pretty good. It was so painfully obvious he never played a DQ prior to 8.

jjasper said:
Man I wish some of you guys could have seen the DC/Sega meltdowns, it led to people actively calling out Sony bias, left and right bannings and the development of an basically an twisted twin forum.
That was hysterical. Those were the times where average age of GAF was much younger. That event brought out everyone's true colors, twas a riot.

Ikael

From the ones that I have witnessed personally:

0 - Snake in SSBB
1 - Dragon Quest IX for the DS
2 - Wiimote unveiling
3 - Revolution's name is Wii
4 - PSP unveiling and the whole cycle of prophecies of doom for NIntendo that ensued. Biggest pile of crow eating that GAF has ever known.
5 - DMC 4 going multiplatafform

And the whole sales evolution, as a continuous megaton trough space and time.

Also, holy crap, I really cannot imagine how the Dreamcast demise or ffVII going to Playstation would have been recieved here.

Sandman7

Really wish I could have seen the DC threads it just sounds like absolute chaos.
What about members' predictions for future megatons of 2007 - obviously the biggest megatons will be the most unpredictable ones but any guesses? I reckon a PS3 price drop would result in a pretty big thread (since it is likely to be sudden), any sniff of Halo/Killzone, E3/Gamer's Day or maybe one of HD-DVD/Blu-ray backing down.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
TheJollyCorner said:
I loved when the first MGS2 video hit- E3 2000.

That was comedy gold (the SEGA nuts were in absolutely top form :lol)
The meltdown at E3 itself was FAR superior. Never have I seen such a huge amount of people just blow their lid. It was like Jesus Christ descended down upon everyone every hour on the hour at the Konami booth.

jett

D-Member
TheJollyCorner said:
I loved when the first MGS2 video hit- E3 2000.

That was comedy gold (the SEGA nuts were in absolutely top form :lol)

Deadmeat still claims that trailer is CG.

On that note, it wasn't really a meltdown, but I love the Superkyro thread.

DQIX... I remember there were jokes about it being on the DS, then I saw a junior member post as if it were confirmed. I was like "lol gtfo newb" and then I remember clearly what Jonnyram posted a few posts later...

"DQIX on DS"

I thought he was in on the joke too at first, but then as the thread went on, I knew I had to prepare myself for an epic GAF meltdown.

Snake in SSBB was also a big one. I remember Wario64 spazzed out and made a thread proclaiming Snake's existence in SSBB. I thought "Oh hey Wario64's tarding around again" and then I went into the actual thread and saw that Snake, indeed, was in SSBB. Good times for the last E3. :)

Don't know if anyone remembers but I remember the ZoE PSP fiasco as well... :lol

I can't leave out Easter, either...

pswii60

Supa said:
Revolution renamed to Wii? Probably not, but still funny how many people felt stupid even saying it.

wii.GIF

It wasn't a meltdown because no-one here actually believed it at the time. Even after Nintendo officially announced it a few days after the leak, still nobody believed it, and said they'll change it before release.

lol

This thread is once again making me consider creating/maintaining a GAFAQ or GAFIKI. I think the project is probably larger than I want to deal with though. Perhaps after I finish my current project.

I'd say Smash Bros. Brawl. Of course, it was nothing compared to IGN, when nintendo fanboys made a topic dedicated to hugging each other.

mabuza

Banned
has anyone got links on gaf to the following
sega dropping dreamcast
resident evil 4 announced for ps2
i would love to read gaf's reaction to that. anyone please :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Go read the PDZ E3 thread.

Amazing.

It's like:

OMG 360!!!
OMG!!!
I WONDER IF JOANNA'S FACE WAS REAL TIME

WHAT THE **** IS THAT SHIT
WHAT THE ****
HEY GUYS IT LOOKS GOOD GOOD ANIMATION
^^ STFU MORAN

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Snake in Brawl wasn't really meltdown worthy, I think. Did MGS fans actually complain about that? I don't know, I didn't notice...

teiresias

I can only laugh and weep at the same time reading this topic.

Seeing people pull out $599 or Wii Unveiling or VF5 360 as contenders when I remember many of the TRUE meltdowns like the DC/Sega Hardware Plug Pull, Superkyro, and others from back in the day.

I laugh that people think these modern meltdowns compare in any way to the times when O.p.a. and Deadmeat actually posted freely, and then I weep when I realize I've been wasting time on this forum since at least '99 or '00!! :lol

Perfect Dark Zero unveiled by 1up with first shots
Square Enix merger

BTW anyone have the archive of the MGS2 original trailer unveiling thread

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Go read the PDZ E3 thread.

Amazing.

It's like:

OMG 360!!!
OMG!!!
I WONDER IF JOANNA'S FACE WAS REAL TIME

WHAT THE **** IS THAT SHIT
WHAT THE ****
HEY GUYS IT LOOKS GOOD GOOD ANIMATION
^^ STFU MORAN

:lol :lol :lol

yeah... that was awesome.

Blablurn

Doom_Bringer said:
Perfect Dark Zero unveiled by 1up with first shots
Square Enix merger

BTW anyone have the archive of the MGS2 original trailer unveiling thread

yep, would be interesting to read!

Revolution controller unveiled is probably the greatest gaming internet moment.

There were sad news (sony 599)
There were shocking news (dragon quest ds).

But you have to remember this controller had been hyped for months and months, spawning megatons, fights, and thread upon thread of speculation.

Then it came, in the darkness, and it was COMPLETE MIND F***K
Only the haters responded immediately with an attack. Everyone else just tried to comprehend what the f***k had just happened.

gimz

LakeEarth said:
I don't think you guys realize how the DC thing went. These boards were majority DC supporters at the time, and the announcement came out of nowhere. EVERY thread on the front page was on the event, we're talking gamefaqs level craziness. Long-time members perma-banned, people screaming, server busy responses, mods locking shit down. 300 "madness" reference here. It was crazy.
that sounds awsome :lol

mabuza

Banned
Annoying Old Party Man said:
Revolution controller unveiled is probably the greatest gaming internet moment.

There were sad news (sony 599)
There were shocking news (dragon quest ds).

But you have to remember this controller had been hyped for months and months, spawning megatons, fights, and thread upon thread of speculation.

Then it came, in the darkness, and it was COMPLETE MIND F***K
Only the haters responded immediately with an attack. Everyone else just tried to comprehend what the f***k had just happened.
can some one please give us a link damn :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Never saw the DC thread, but I could imagine - I'm still a DC fan, and it sucked when that happened...

E3'05, €599, DQIX, DMC4 going multiplatform - all of those I witnessed, and boy were they a laugh - but the one that really was a massacre has to be the VF5 coming to 360 thread - there were literally over 50 members banned, and the epic meltdown of that K_S guy... poor thing, he showed his true colours and totally flipped... wow.

SonnyBoy said:
Can someone please explain what Thursdayton was about.
ToxicAdam said:
It was during E3 week of 2005. Aside from the big 360 news conference, it was a real DUD for big news. So, Drinky Crow innocently posted two words. Thursdayton - Believe. What happened next was 30 pages of speculation and bullshit rumors (focusing on Nintendo's console and what they may announce). The thread was even passed off on some news sites. So, in 2 days it had 30 pages and about 100,000 views. Pretty epic at that time.

So, it was merely an exercise to show how naive and gulliable Nintendo fans were and it worked spectacularly.

1-D_FTW

Shard said:
What was the inital reaction to the Rare/Microsoft union?

That was a real meltdown. Because it had betrayal, gloating, and because you couldn't trash Rare for being overrated because you were just a "scorned" fanboy to the bots.

I don't remember what my username was back then, but I remember AggieDad95 from that thread. Was always one of my favorite posters and he seemed to quit posting not long after that. But his disappointment burned his name into my brain forever.

GhaleonEB

muckhole said:
Somebody somewhere has to have the Thursdayton thread archived...
It's in the forum archive.

My choices would be, in order:

599 US dollars
Wiimote unveiled
Thursdayton

Though, Thursdayton was the best because it was all drawn out over a couple of days, rather than a single moment that caused implosion. The PS3 wins for sheer impact and for continuing to be the source of epic debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom