• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the biggest GAF meltdown in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyBoy

Wall guy, and Thursdayton get my vote. :lol OMG, I was just a lurker back then and probally didn't realize what the thread was about. Drinky, I tip my hat to you.

Demigod Mac

Dreamcast death, Sega 3rd party.

Nothing comes remotely close, not even DQIX.

***-*** had a personal meltdown nearly as intense as the entire board's.

jjasper

Demigod Mac said:
***-*** had a personal meltdown nearly as intense as the entire board's.

The fact that he went on ebay and outbid people trying to buy ps2's to prevent sales was the kicker I think.

teiresias said:
I can only laugh and weep at the same time reading this topic.

Seeing people pull out $599 or Wii Unveiling or VF5 360 as contenders when I remember many of the TRUE meltdowns like the DC/Sega Hardware Plug Pull, Superkyro, and others from back in the day.

I laugh that people think these modern meltdowns compare in any way to the times when O.p.a. and Deadmeat actually posted freely, and then I weep when I realize I've been wasting time on this forum since at least '99 or '00!! :lol

I see your Superkyro, and raise you a "Reactions to E3 Sicken Me", along with the reaction of already bruised and battered Sega fans once MS announced that Shenmue II was being cancelled for NA release on DC.

Demigod Mac

jjasper said:
The fact that he went on ebay and outbid people trying to buy ps2's to prevent sales was the kicker I think.

Oh jeez... I completely forgot about that. :lol

50% of the front page on GAF consisted of his posts on that day, until the mods started deleting them.

calder

Nothing has ever quite matched the death of DC/Sega going multi.

It really was like the end times here. Giant threads, people flipping right the **** out over and over, every single thread degenerating into a screaming mass of stroked out Sega fans until the mods locked down about half the current threads and banned dozens of long time forumers (some permabanned). It had the epic meltdowns of any more recent GAF kerfuffle but also sparked a wave of constant bitching and yelling that lasted weeks. Mods rode into the scrums like calvary, bringing the banstick down over and over until - spent - they had to flee the carnage. ***-*** alone freaked out as much as any recent 'meltdown' thread.

68-chicago.jpg

Basically, it was this for over a week. Nothing else really comes close.

For funnier meltdowns, I'm going to go with Superkyro and my personal favourite, Kitsune's epic "If you do one more thing to me...know this: no one will be able to hear you scream. And I won't make it quick." psychotic event.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Sega going third party was pretty epic. I think that's the one where O.P.A. lost it.

The board went pretty crazy when Square announced that they would begin making Nintendo games again. Yeah, that was pretty crazy.

All of the early Revolution/NDS threads got pretty insane, including the one where they first showed pics of the Wiimote.

Tailzo

I remember how surprised I was at sega killing of the Dreamcast. I mean, it was doing so much better than the Saturn, I thought. + There were so many great games for it. I should've thought about the fact that everyone I knew with a console, only had the free chu chu rocket as an original game. I don't think I knew anyone else besides me that bought all my DC games.

edit:
I didn't hang out on message boards too much back then, and I didn't know about gaf or AMN.

Mason

- The whole Federman/Megaton thing
- Wii controller revealed
- E3/Pre-E3 press conferences

I dunno, that's all I've got off the top of my head

Demigod Mac

What a day it was to be a Sony fanboy back then. You had to face such mockery and derision for years. You couldn't post without Sega fanboys poisoning your threads. Then suddenly, without warning, arrogant Sega fans were served up a steaming dumptruck of crow directly down their gullets. Hence the meltdown of the century.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dragona Akehi said:
I see your Superkyro, and raise you a "Reactions to E3 Sicken Me", along with the reaction of already bruised and battered Sega fans once MS announced that Shenmue II was being cancelled for NA release on DC.

Details, Dragona, details!!! What about Superkyro and E3 reations?

teiresias

Dragona Akehi said:

By the time the Shenmue II thing happened I'd already tried to play the first game, realized how horribly overrated and bad the game was, so announcements concerning its sequels subsequently flew completely out of my radar.

I don't remember, which E3 was the "Sickens Me" thing? That later became a bannable phrase as well.

shagg_187 said:
Most users ever online was 5,354, 09-26-2006 at 07:49 PM, So lets go back in history and see what was announced on that Specific day...

That's only for the current incarnation of the boards though, the board has had like five or six revisions and moved from different forum hosting sites and everything, i can't remember the whole history of this place anymore.

shagg_187 said:
Most users ever online was 5,354, 09-26-2006 at 07:49 PM, So lets go back in history and see what was announced on that Specific day...

That was the day we got linked on Digg for some DS mod or something. Pretty lame.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Goodcow (an oldschool GAF member) has some really old stuff archived (he started archiving GAF long before this board did, actually)

You guys might be able to google some of the more epic older threads if you try.

as someone else already said, ban wise, the VF5 multiplatform was probably the most fun in recent memory... but then i've only been posting here about a year.

the bans in that thread, it was like more than 1 a page of a 50 page thread or something. it was crazy, and hilarious. people on both sides being cut down left and right.

S-Wind

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm disappointed.

It took over 150 posts before Marty Chinn's "REACTIONS TO E3 MAKE ME SICK!!!!!" meltdown gets mentioned.

That was a fun thread. It supports the idea of a negative correlation between how well and problem-free the company you support has been doing and how sensitive to the slightest amount of less-than-fantastic news you are.

jjasper

S-Wind said:
I'm disappointed.

It took over 150 posts before Marty Chinn's "REACTIONS TO E3 MAKE ME SICK!!!!!" meltdown gets mentioned.

That was a fun thread. It supports the idea of a negative correlation between how well and problem-free the company you support has been doing and how sensitive to the slightest amount of less-than-fantastic news you are.

I don't remember it what happened?

S-Wind

jjasper said:
I don't remember it what happened?

E3 happened.

SEGA had a good showing.

Sony had a less-than-stellar showing.

There was lots of positive buzz for SEGA (alas, it was too little, too late - they would soon hit the financial point of no return).

People were disappointed with Sony's less-amazing-than-expected showing.

Marty no like that.

Leonsito

The Sony conference thread + The Sony conference chat on IRC.

Double action bashing FTW.

Obviously the 2k6 one, I still have the log somewhere...

Barrage

Thursdayton, Wallguy, DQIX...all great. One moment I remember(and I think my memory has enhanced it, which is why it hasn't been mentioned) is the April Fool's Armageddon in '04, with the Austrailian guy banning Nintendo haters and Drinky becoming a Admin(or Mod, can't remember). The insanity of that event when I first joined was what really got me into GAF(although it certainly didn't have the reprecussions of other events.)

Mason said:
Wow, going back and reading my reactions, I was right on the money in the midst of mostly doubters.

Just reaffirms my decision to go into marketing. :D

I really have to put my hat in for the Wiimote unveiling. Not just on GAF, but the entire internet.

Nobody really expected what we got. And all over the place there was a universal "WTF?" reaction, for better or for worse.

AniHawk

Segata Sanshiro said:
Man, I haven't read that thread since the day it happened. There's some tasty crow in there already.

Oh that Nintendo and their novelty toy eh sonycowboy?

I had a bit of a meltdown. I was pissed because I wouldn't be able to play 3D Zelda anymore. Obviously I was very, very wrong.

I'll never forget the Wiimote's debut lol. A couple insiders were posting pics of nunchucks and people were so damn confused. Then it was shown and people started popping Moltrin

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
teiresias said:
B
That's only for the current incarnation of the boards though, the board has had like five or six revisions and moved from different forum hosting sites and everything, i can't remember the whole history of this place anymore.

Regardless, it's never been anywhere near that high on previous versions of GAF.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that revolution controller thread is such a compelling read. it's as if i stumbled across a transcript of a conversation pre-world war 2 about hitler, and people keep saying, "seriously, i think he's cool, dude. you got him all wrong."

Chittagong

Gold Member
The original MEGATON was pretty f'ing epic. I think it was what brought me originally into GAF. My memory is a bit sketchy, but I think it was Federman who pulled this story up from his arse about Nintendo + Capcom + Sega merging for the ultimate Japanese gaming giant. Like Thursdayton after it, the timing was genius since Capcom and Sega were performing really poorly financially and were subjects of takeover rumors. Also, Jump magazine had been hinting about an "industry redefining announcement that would have the impact of a megaton bomb", which is where the name came from. The announcement turned out to be Naruto for GC of course, not a merger.

The icing on the cake was a pixelated image that was "reverse-engineered" to be Sonic, Mega Man and Mario.

The thread got easily 100K views which back then was truly epic. It also made most gaming sites, then it spread to mainstream and financial press and, if I'm not mistaken, created speculation that affected even strock price. I might be mistaken, but I remember of reading about the buzz even in a Finnish newspaper.

Now *that* was epic. Also, it started the -TON naming tradition.

There was also an even more creative side story during the Megaton epic:

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/12/18/2247214

"Console Talk has the story on a settlement between Sony and Nintendo over the rights to the "PlayStation" name, which was originally a joint owned copywrite, given to a CD and Cartridge based system to play SNES games. The settlement is for 10% of Sony's proceeds, past and present on the "PlayStation" name, currently amounting to approximately $2.3 billion. Nintendo is allowing Sony to pay it off in installments over the next 20 years. Nintendo currently plans on using the money to create a new game studio comprised of members of some of the biggest in the japanese industry, in order to create titles exclusively for the GameCube. Hmm, my guess is that Sony's next console will be shying away from the PlayStation moniker..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom