• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the biggest GAF meltdown in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
gketter said:
What was the reaction of RE4 going to the GC and the whole original "Capcom 5"
I think there was a pretty big reaction but not really a meltdown of sorts.

As other people have said, biggest for sure has to be DC + Sega.

My favourite for a personal poster having a meltdown was Himuro blasting Okami in his "Final Thoughts: Okami" thread. Not only did he completely flip out at posters, but after his ban he came back a month later, re-surfaced the thread to again flip out in it about posts that were made after he got the banstick originally.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
jjasper said:
Are you speaking of the E3 get together where BuddyC got stuck with some massive bill cause someone was lying the whole time?

Yeah. Some guy named "Folder" said that he had arranged an open bar paid for by Nintendo during E3. A bunch of people showed up and drank, thinking it would be free. Unfortunately it was all a lie. Folder never showed up, and Nintendo certainly was never involved.

Everyone who went was bitching on this thread about it, wondering what the hell was up with Folder. I think Folder finally posted in the thread, something like "LOL. Jeeze calm down everyone." And that's it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Lobster said:
Lol at Revolution Controller Revealed thread.

Now for the amazing future reading, cool looking avatar guy.

He hit the jackpot.

CVXFreak always gets it right, he also predicted the total 2006 hardwares sales nearly perfect at the begining of January

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Dragona Akehi said:
And I had to miss that thanks to the CRAPPY LAPTOP OF DOOM being in repairs for oh say, six months out of eight and all that.
I'm so sorry. :( What a time to be gone...

Barrage said:
That's the event I referenced. MAF and Drinky's Power-Ups(and subsequent gloating) was hilarious.
Yeah it was an awesome chain of events that lead to Drinky going on an anti-Nintendo rampage and deleting every Nintendogs thread and then Mike Works making every thread title include "Nintendogs" and then into the advent of the Drinky Puppy Club. :lol So awesome!

PkunkFury

This thread makes me sad for E3. You could always count on melltdowns at E3, and the number of threads that grow per minute were great for keeping me glued to the forum all night. I hope the new E3 isn't too neutered

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
the disgruntled gamer said:
I can't wait for Thursday's NPD meltdown.

I have a feeling its going to be very very interesting- low Wii sales because of supply issues leading to trolling by many people saying that the Wii demand has died down.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
JoshuaJSlone said:
Heh. In hindsight I was pretty skeptical at first. "It could still show 2 uhelpful views."

Sidenote: Looking through those archives a bit, there's a thread from just a few days before that initial DS announcement where people were wondering when Nintendo would rerelease Super Mario 64. One day before the DS announcement, Jarrod predicted it would be a launch title for the next Game Boy. :)
hahaha
UCB said:
Game and Watch SP!!
a little under 15 minutes in and I called it ;)

Really though Wiimote thread and fivehundred-ninetynine US dollars were truly calssic meltdown threads.

Tarazet

I'm a little bit biased, of course, but that time I found the link to PS3 preorders on BestBuy.com via Froogle and posted it here - and the subsequent madness of whether we would get them or not, and finally having all of them get pulled - that was pretty epic. Oh, if we could only have seen two months into the future.

Biggest I witnessed here was E3 05. Everyone was underwhelmed by Nintendo's showing and because of the Aries hype we all kept expecting a secret conference to pop up and make everything right. I remember the one everyone was looking at ended up just being Perrin Kaplan talking about the GameBoy Micro.

MC Safety

Yeah, it was odd that anyone would think Nintendo would host a party for people who post on an Interweb message board. Yet people showed up and seemed genuinely surprised when the big N wasn't there to pay the bill.

I feel bad for the guy who had to pay. I hope he got his money back.

FlyinJ said:
Yeah. Some guy named "Folder" said that he had arranged an open bar paid for by Nintendo during E3. A bunch of people showed up and drank, thinking it would be free. Unfortunately it was all a lie. Folder never showed up, and Nintendo certainly was never involved.

Everyone who went was bitching on this thread about it, wondering what the hell was up with Folder. I think Folder finally posted in the thread, something like "LOL. Jeeze calm down everyone." And that's it.

GhaleonEB

schuelma said:
I have a feeling its going to be very very interesting- low Wii sales because of supply issues leading to trolling by many people saying that the Wii demand has died down.
I'm predicting it to be bigger than last month, though not because of the Wii.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
GhaleonEB said:
I'm predicting it to be bigger than last month, though not because of the Wii.

Shockingly low PS3 sales despite GDC and Motorstorm?

Diablos

LakeEarth said:
Sega dropping the Dreamcast and going 3rd party. I don't think anything else reached that level of insanity.
How long ago that was. But yeah, you had to feel for Sega fanboys, at least a little bit.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Not a GAF meltdown, but I was looking through some old files and found some humorous fanboy moments from IGN I saved about 5 years ago.

Xbox fans anticipating Blinx: The time sweeper

DouXXX
Arena: Crazy Science Partner lvl. 0
W/L/D: 0/0/0
Ranking: 5224
Date Posted: 8/26 4:41pm Subject: RE: SMS got 8.0 from gamespot!!
lol, i'll literally ROFL if blinx gets higher than an 8.0

same here d00d!! can't wait until october!!

mario vs blinx

the battle of century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After Blinx receives a 6.3 from gamespot...
DouXXX
Arena: Crazy Science Partner lvl. 0
W/L/D: 0/0/0
Ranking: 5224
Date Posted: 10:33pm Subject: RE: I'm backkkkkkkk!!
LOL i dont trust Gamespot

UK OXM - 9.3
IGN - 8.8

w00t!
-----signature-----

Denial is a fanboy's greatest weapon.
fanboyism - the condition of being obssessed with a system due to lack of life.
Cure=Get a life!
Thanks to Sadbeef for adopting me!

xboxfan750
Date Posted: 4:56pm Subject: I AM SO ANGRY AT GAMESPOT How in the hell Could they give Blinx as 6.3? - Date Edited: 5:41pm (1 edits total) Edited By: Topaz989
Xbox UK gave it a 9.3 and Xbox IGN gave it a 8.8 so where the hell does gamespot come off givin Blinx a 6.3. I will never visit there site again! They made me so mad!

ARGHHH!

Topaz:Flame war brewing

xboxfan750
Date Posted: 5:35pm Subject: RE: I AM SO ANGRY AT GAMESPOT How in the hell Could they give Blinx as 6.3?
Im still angry at gamespot but this game is too childish for us anyway so it dont really matter.
-----signature-----

http://www.xbox.com
http://xbox.ign.com
http://teamxbox.com

xboxfan750
Date Posted: 9:08pm Subject: RE: Woah, SMS Falls Off The Top Ten
Blinx sales would of been way better if it wasnt for the Sony and Nintendo fanboys that have jobs in the gaming media who were unfairly critizing the game. Blinx deserves better sales and way better scores from the gaming press.

Rare will have 5 xbox games in two years
Bolt007
Date Posted: 12:34pm Subject: RE: RARE 5 Games/2 years = YES! Stampler‘s said it won't take Rare as much time to develop games as
In all actuality and unbiased responce as I do like all the sytems, and since I have worked on multiplatformed games.

The X-box is in fact the easiest to make games for, both graphically and codewise.

It goes in this order in the game development community,

PC
X-box
PS2
and Gamecube is the hardest sytem to develop for.

I think the fairly recent DMC4 360 thread deserves a spot in the list, that ****ing thread ballooned so fast and kept the pace up for so long.

mabuza

Banned
wow, six pages and no one has given us a link to the resident evil 4 to ps2 thread or even the dreamcast death thread.
comeon people

stonedwal

Open Source said:
What about C-?

Kinda surprised this hasn't been mentioned more - I think it was the first one I witnessed first hand at GAF. It's usually the review score ones that stick in my mind more than any other.

AniHawk

Jive Turkey said:
I just skimmed the thread but nobody has mentioned Grubdog going mental and hacking GAF? Half of GAF gets banned and then deleted in a matter of 2 hours...Anybody who ever said anything remotely bad about Nintendo got banned with Drinky and MAF first up on the chopping block.

God that was hilarious!

Oh man. I completely forgot about that one. At first I thought it was a late April Fools joke because it happened on the second. I still have posts from the mini GAF I made for people who had their accounts deleted.

What was kinda funny was everyone in the main freakout thread saying "Well, it hasn't happened to me yet" only to be deleted a minute later.

Nintendogs.

the day it took over the forum was a grand one.
AniHawk said:
Oh man. I completely forgot about that one. At first I thought it was a late April Fools joke because it happened on the second. I still have posts from the mini GAF I made for people who had their accounts deleted.

What was kinda funny was everyone in the main freakout thread saying "Well, it hasn't happened to me yet" only to be deleted a minute later.
was that his handiwork. If so, good going.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Are some threads really deleted because they are too old? With current prices/technologies I didn't think archiving a place like neogaf would force us to do so?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
marc^o^ said:
Are some threads really deleted because they are too old? With current prices/technologies I didn't think archiving a place like neogaf would force us to do so?
They are not deleted, only not available via the search engine because the indexing was taking too much time IIRC.

I think a big meltdown was E3. Just when Nintendo released that SSBB trailer with SOlid Snake. There were huge things happening that day. Can't remember any of them though.

Pachael

Mariah Carey said:
Any way to check out the Nintendogs perfect score response? Or is it too old?

Good call, since Jackfrost meltdowned at the Famitsu 40/40 for Nintendogs and Himuro went berserk over for Okami. But those were good times, good times, rather than a meltdown.

Puzzledonkey was such a big meltdown it took out GAF ;p

hirokazu

wow I never realized how long I've been lurking around GAF until I read this thread! The only even I've read here that I wasn't here for is the DC one. I think I started lurking about a year after that happened.

Crazy!

And all this time I still mostly lurk... :p

hiryu

Klaxon said:
Ok, it has nothing to do with gaming, but I just saw the 9/11-thread. And wow, memories come back how unbelievable this was when it happened and how unbelievable it still is...

Yeah I remember reading GAF at work and when I saw that thread and told everyone at work what was going on before any of them knew. It's weird how much of that day I remember.

Xenon

S-Wind said:
I'm disappointed.

It took over 150 posts before Marty Chinn's "REACTIONS TO E3 MAKE ME SICK!!!!!" meltdown gets mentioned.

That was a fun thread. It supports the idea of a negative correlation between how well and problem-free the company you support has been doing and how sensitive to the slightest amount of less-than-fantastic news you are.

First thing I thought of, funny shit

jjasper

oo Kosma oo said:
Was there an old girlfriend thread that derailed into chaos?

Someone did a little searching and found more pictures of some of the girls. Plus there are always the ones that post pictures of girls they don't know and are on some site (already happened once this time I see)

andthebeatgoeson

Joe Molotov said:
Or:

Wait a second, what do we have here?

325px-Sixaxis2.jpg
I wanted to post that but was lazy. I'm sure no one will laugh the next time Nintendo trots out that excuse. Doesn't give them carte blanche to stonewall all media but they used to be ridiculed for that. What do they get for their troubles, Six Axis and now, apparently, waggle is ok.

Tieno

A classic Doom_Bringer meltdown
Doom_Bringer said:
Can an admin please correct/update the title? I am typing in the dark and can't see crap -_-
mckmas8808 said:
Why do you always type in the dark? But I like this Doom_B not the other one.
Doom_Bringer said:
Well its 1 AM and I am in my bed with my laptop. I reduced the LCD brightness so that my sister wouldn't scream at me! Its hard to type when I am in bed
bishoptl said:
...WHY ARE YOU IN BED WITH YOUR SISTER.
5. GAF-HILARITY

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123986&page=2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom