• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite cartoons during the 80s and 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaC

80s, and early 90s were imo the golden age of the cartoons.

Here are my favorites when I was a kid.

Ducktales
Turtles (the new cartoon is yuck)
He-man(the old version)
M.A.S.K (not to be confused with the Jim Carrey movie)
Pirates of Dark water
Captain N - The gamemaster
Transformers
Rescue Rangers
Adventures of Jonny Quest
Inspector Gagdet
REAL Ghostbusters
Smurfs
Lucky Luke
Tales spin

I feel bad for kids watching the crap they spew out today.

in no order

Transformers
GI Joe
Real Ghostbusters (not that Filmation ape with a camera crap that Santa Cruzer likes) :D
Robotech
TMNT
Wheeled Warriors
Voltron
Galaxy Rangers

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
In no particular order, although I guess they are the only major 5 that have dictated my life

Astro Boy
He-Man
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Voltron
Thunderbirds

luxsol

As a kid i loved watching:
Silverhawks
Tigersharks
Thundercats
Centurions
Maple Town and Me
Robotech
Adventures of the Little Koala
Lost Cities of Gold (i know that's not the full title but ican't remmeber what the rest is)
Spiral Zone
That one cartoon about cars shredding up a jungle planet (Jayce something and something)
Real Ghostbusters
GI Joe
Transformers
The Noozels (sp?)
Sebastion and Belle (the white monster/dog cartoon on Nick)
The Little Prince
and my favorite: TMNT

80s/90s mix: David the Gnome

In the 90s:
Exo Squad
Tale Spin
Gargoyles
Batman:TAS
Superman:TAS
Batman Beyond
Animaniacs
Darkwing Duck
Alladin
Pinky and the Brain
Beast Wars

Today: I can't stand 2/3rds of the cartoons I liked in the 80s and i can still enjoy all the 90s ones i loved. The cartoons of today are soo much more enjoyable to all ages.
I think a lot of the 80s cartoon love has to do with the joint toy lines. The 80s was a golden age of marketting products to kids. The 90s (IMO, the real modern golden age of cartoons) brought in something that was marketable and extremely enjoyable to watch. Which continues today... except for the brilliant Cartoon Network toons who don't have any real toylines.

So many...

He-Man
ThunderCats
Transformers
GI Joe
TM Ninja Turtles
Ghost Busters
Batman TAS
Tiny Toons
Animaniacs
Captain Planet
Widget the World Watcher
Exo Squad
Mighty Max
Spiderman (Fox)
X-Men (Fox)
Ducktales
Rescue Rangers
Tailspin
Darkwing Duck
Aladdin
Goof Troop
Gargoyles

There's probably more, but these are the ones that stand out at the moment...

belgurdo

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
Turtles (the new cartoon is yuck)

No.

I feel bad for kids watching the crap they spew out today.

Cartoons back then were largely crap too. What you've basically listed is the cream of the crop-do you remember any of the B-list stuff like Snorks or Go Bots?

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, try watching some of those old shows now and try to tell me that they weren't as "bad" or worse than some of the stuff out today. Your opinion is tainted with nostalgia. When you're a kid it doesn't take a lot to impress you.

Ducktales
Aladdin
Little Mermaid
Swat Kats
He-Man
GI Joe
Birdman
Jetsons
Flintstones
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Macross/Robotech
Tales Spin (probably my fav)
Captain Planet
Centurians
Beast Wars

Forgotten one
Cartoon about dinosaurs equipped with laser weapons/futuristic beast wars type show

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Mostly DuckTales and Tiny Toon Adventures and Rescue Rangers... and a little TMNT though I didn't get all hot for the action figures like my friends.

SantaC

Yeah, try watching some of those old shows now and try to tell me that they weren't as "bad" or worse than some of the stuff out today. Your opinion is tainted with nostalgia. When you're a kid it doesn't take a lot to impress you.

uh well that's probably true. Nostalgia is a big part of it. So what's popular today? Are digimon and pokemon, new He-man or whatever really better than the cartoons in the past?

Meier

EXO Squad is the only cartoon I ever woke up early for in my life to watch (came on at like 6:30 or something).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
why no love for Denver the last Dinosaur?

denver.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
every one listed in this thread. no, really...

maybe about 25% of those are HEAVILY influenced by nostalgia (aka I wouldn't have given them the time of day back then) but the other 75% are ones that I truly enjoyed.

as for my absolute positively most favorite could not live without never missed anb episode show... there is only one.

Robotech. My brothers and I saw the entire series straight through at least 4 times at various points during the 80's, all on TV. actually the first time we ever were exposed to it on VHS was a friend who recorded most of macross and let us borrow the tapes a number of years later (early 90's). Second runner up might be Thundercats.. watched a LOOOOOOTTTT of Thundercats.

SantaC

StoOgE said:
why no love for Denver the last Dinosaur?

denver.jpg

:lol I remember this one, but I didn't list it because that was ONLY nostalgia. I hated the damn theme song in this cartoon.

"DENVER! The laaaaast dinosaur, he is so blah blah blah"

Didn't they hide him in a damn garage or something?

borghe

You guys saying Ghostbusters, make sure you say THe REAL Ghostbusters... unless you really mean the stupid show with that ape.. :p

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
SantaCruZer said:
Didn't they hide him in a damn garage or something?

yeah, and every episode they would put a wig on him and people would be convinced that it was a hippie or something..

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My one favorite and most-watched would probably be TMNT. I watched a shitload of cartoons and "child programming" back in the day, but TMNT was one of the few I watched on a very consistent basis (at least after my really really early days, during which I watched He-Man).

Battle of the Planets
He-Man & the Masters of the Universe
Star Blazers
She-Ra: Princess of Power
Smurfs
The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam
Thundercats
Bionic Six
Dungeons and Dragons
Real Ghostbusters
Spiderman & His Amazing Friends
X-Men
Mighty Max
DuckTales
Tale Spin
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors

Plus: :)

Alf (cartoon)
Pound Puppies (first season)
Challenge of the Gobots
Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Flash Gordon
Garfield & Friends
Herculoids
Inspector Gadget
Jem
Godzilla
Thundarr the Barbarian
The World of David the Gnome
Super Friends
Wuzzles
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros Super Show

evil ways

G.I. Joe
M.A.S.K
Mazinger Z
Silverhawks
UFO Grendizer
Spider-Man & THe Amazing Friends
Spider-Man(Fox Kids)
X-Men
The Real Ghostbusters
He-Man & The Masters of the Universe
Transformers
Defenders of the Earth

luxsol said:
That one cartoon about cars shredding up a jungle planet

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. That was a cool cartoon from what I remember. Had a top quality 80's style intro theme. 'Wheels keep on turning, fires keep on burning...!!!' or something.

Edit: Actually, them lyrics is erronous.

Found the tune - Jayce Theme. Still kick ass.

totoro'd

huge cartoon buff here:

Dungeons & Dragons
the Smurfs
Gummi Bears
Garfield & Friends
Thundercats
She-Ra
He-Man
Woody Woodpecker
Ritchie Rich
Looney Toons
Care Bears
Little Mermaid
Tiny Toon Adventures
Inspector Gadget
X-Men
Punky Brewster
the Littles
Spider Man & Friends

sure there are some i'm forgetting

way more

No mention of Danger Mouse and Count Duckula?

And what was that series about the kids on Mars. It was called something with 'red' in the title.

Alucard

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
uh well that's probably true. Nostalgia is a big part of it. So what's popular today? Are digimon and pokemon, new He-man or whatever really better than the cartoons in the past?

Compared to some old shows, I would say "yes". I love the old Spider-Man, X-Men, TMNT, Gargoyles, Batman, and Transformers episodes as much as any other late 70s/early 80s kid, but there was a lot of garbage out there too. I do think that overall yesterday's cartoons were of a higher quality, but it's hard to compare since I don't think there is as much of a volume of cartoons today as there was back then. I don't have the stats to confirm that, so maybe someone can prove me wrong.

And the new Ninja Turtles isn't bad at all IMO. If anything, it's truer to the comics with its darker tone, as opposed to the happy Turtles designs of the 90s.

Jupiter Jones said:
Bionic Six
That was a cool show, the action figures were great, die-cast stuff...we had most of the family figures but never found the robotic gorilla FLUFFY toy though =P

evil ways said:
I wanted the white/green Porsche that changed into a submarine...was there ever a toy of that? The '57 Chevy was dope too =)

aparisi2274

Transformers
Thundercats
M.A.S.K
Ducktales
Animaniacs
Pinky & the Brain
Tiny Toones
TMNT
The Real Ghostbusters
Captain N (that Nintendo show)
Gargoyles
Batman
Voltron

borghe

HOLY CRAP!!! Did GoBots really look that bad?

I haven't seen a single episode EVER since it was originally on the air (was it '84?)... So I don't remember how it looked exactly..

if that is how it looked.... *cries for nostalgia* :p

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Oh I totally forgot about Dino-Riders!

My friend has a polo shirt with the logo on it, I need to ask him to make me one :lol :lol

B000092T4X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

But it was more than just the cartoon that made GI Joe so great, though. So much more. It was the action figures, the vehicles and playsets, the comic books, the military theme, the classic struggle of good versus evil, the diverse cast of characters, and the legacy that made GI Joe arguably the best ever.

*still gets a kick out of watching the cheesy, badly-animated 80s cartoon series*

SantaC

bune duggy said:
there are so many listed already, but where's the Dexter love, people? Dexter's Laboratory (at least under Genndy T. and Craig McCracken) was brilliant.

that girl in dexters lab was so annoying.

Loki

Count of Concision
Nemrael said:
No love for Ulysses 31? Great retellings of Greek myths, plus it featured one of the best spaceships ever.

ulysses312.jpg

ulysses315.jpg

ulysses4.jpg

u31odyssey2.jpg

Wtf is that? :lol A cartoon starring Jesus Christ? :D Never heard of that show before...

Shouta

When I see threads like this, I realize just how staggering the amount of Japanese shows were brought over to American during the 80s compared to how many I thought there was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom