• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite cartoons during the 80s and 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffahn

Tazmania
Robotech
Ducktales
Rescue Rangers
Tales spin
Animaniacs
Freakazoid
X-men
Sherlock Hound (rare)
Bionic 6
Thundercats
Gummi Bears
Winnie the Pooh
Batman:TAS
Darkwing Duck
Bravestar

...must be a few others.

Nemrael

Wtf is that? A cartoon starring Jesus Christ? Never heard of that show before...

No, it's not Jesus - he just digs his style. It's very loosely based on The Odyssey, and is about Ulysses pissing off the gods by destroying a Cyclops when rescuing his son. Zeus dooms Ulysses to travel through the Kingdom of Hades forever, never to return to his wife on earth. He also wipes the route to earth from the ship's memory banks, and puts the entire crew in suspended animation. This paves the way for 26 wacky adventures, during which Ulysses will meet Sisyphus, the Minotaur, Circe, The Fates, and many other people from Greek Mythology. Best. Cartoon. Ever.

Loki

Count of Concision
Nemrael said:
No, it's not Jesus - he just digs his style. It's very loosely based on The Odyssey, and is about Ulysses pissing off the gods by destroying a Cyclops when rescuing his son. Zeus dooms Ulysses to travel through the Kingdom of Hades forever, never to return to his wife on earth. He also wipes the route to earth from the ship's memory banks, and puts the entire crew in suspended animation. This paves the way for 26 wacky adventures, during which Ulysses will meet Sisyphus, the Minotaur, Circe, The Fates, and many other people from Greek Mythology. Best. Cartoon. Ever.

Hah, sounds pretty cool actually. :) Too bad I never saw it...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ulysses 31 was decent... actually really decent. the first thing that wasn't mentioned is I believe it was in space.. like a space retelling of the greek mythos I believe..

I only caught a few episodes.. it was on the sunday morning block (fantastic world of Hanna Barbera I believe) which was usually preempted left and right by religious programming.... should have been the same block in our area that had like Jem and umm... a few others that I don't remember.

Ristamar

I think it was a childhood rule that you could not like both Transformers and GoBots. That being said, Transformers shit all over GoBots. The show was awful.

Prine

Banned
Galaxy High!!!

Who remebers doyle? the pizza guy. Fuckin loved that show. Also Life with Louie. Genius show

About every cartoon i grew up with is listed.

Loved TMNT the most though. I still watch cartoons to this day :p Simpsons, Batman (old series) Shin Chan.

J2 Cool

renstimpy.jpg

(The spumco eps are probably the best 'cartoon' of the 80's and 90's)

tmnt2.jpg

(Love the flooded skyscraper episode where they all just keep running up floors with ninjas chasing after em)

Batman%20TAS.jpg

(oooof course. Competes with R&S as the best of the list)

underdog.jpg

(loved it when I was real young, before I lost cable)

fox3.jpg

(rough animation but I dealt because the show rocked)

gi_joe_t.jpg

(filled my house with their action figures)

gadget3.jpg

(good show)

dtopen15.jpg

(love donald obviously)

darkwing.gif

(Rocked!)

doug.jpg

(I liked it for some reason. Maybe the whistling intro, Doug's voice, but probably because... "dooo do do do doo doo doooo doo do doo doo do")

pooh.gif

(it was irresistible, and well done, and had its own pace to its shows)

CareBearsgroup.jpg

(so ashamed I was a part of this)

pound%20puppies%20group.bmp

And if you're including Simpsons, which none seem to be, that goes close to the top. Looney Tunes for me remains the pinnacle of cartoons and was my favorite of all 80's and 90's, and South Park is behind the Simpsons and also one of the better shows of the 90's.

Brodequin

One more vote for Dangermouse

dangermouse.jpg

He's The Best
He's The Greatest
He's The Greatest Secret Agent In The World!
He's The Ace - He's Amazing...
He's the Strongest... He's The Quickest.... He's The Best!

AniHawk

Spider-Man
ThunderCats
He-Man
X-Men
Batman: TAS
The Nintendo cartoon shows
Sonic the Hedgehog
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Gummi Bears
Ducktales
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Darkwing Duck
Talespin
Ren & Stimpy Show
Rocko's Modern Life
Doug
Rugrats
Hey Arnold!
The Simpsons
South Park
Family Guy
Futurama

TMNT

Bionic 6!!

Life with louie

Tom and Jerry

Pink Panter

Thundercats

all the usual disney afternoon shows.

xmen/spiderman/ batman/gargoyles

Tin Tin

Tiny toons

Anamaniacs

....man i dont think its nostalgia all of those shows definately are better than this pokemon and digimon crap we get today.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
TMNT
Mighty Max
Darkwing Duck
Aladdin
Gargoyles
Tale Spin (I know, sad)
Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain
Spider Man
Xmen
...and props for whoever brought up Freakazoid

EDIT: Shit... I forgot Captain Planet. I laugh my ass off at it now, but back when I was a kid I watched that shit religiously. I should hate my parents for exposing me to that stuff.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
No one mentioned Thundarr the Barbarian? Or the Herculoids?

Saturday morning cartoons now seem to have been reestablished thanks to fox and WB. For a few years, networks were content to run nothing but the Today Show/weekend edition.

As much as I dislike Disney in general, their afternoon shows were probably the peak of quality animation and writing for US cartoons. At least until Hanna Barbera got back into it with Cartoon Network.

Most of the cartoons I grew up with sucked hard. I mean, does anyone remember the Rubik's Cube cartoon? Or the Menudo cartoon. I'm sure most remember Turbo Teen.

Like others have said, even my favorite shows do not hold up well at all. Transformers sucked real bad at least until Season 3. It did have nice voice acting and music though. GI Joe is just a huge joke.

Asbel

Other than the popular ones, there's Exosquad, Robotech and Iron Man sans season 1. Season 1 sucked because Marvel didn't follow established comic book stories like you see in other comic TV series. Season 2 corrected that and was what made me a fan of the character.

ckohler

Prine said:
Galaxy High!!! Who remebers doyle? the pizza guy. Fuckin loved that show.
You sir get a gold star. Galaxy High rocked.

Damn.. what 80 cartoon's *didn't* I like?! I watched so many. Here are some of my more rare favorites:

Voltron
Kidd Video
C.O.P.S.
Dungeons & Dragons
Sonic SatAM (The good one that was on Saturday mornings)
Alf Tales

..and of course.. Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats:

cleodance.gif

android

Theoretical Magician
TMNT
Duck Tales
Inspector Gadget
Tale Spin
And this one from my youth.... The Raccoons. Damn Cyril Sneer.
The_Raccoons-Bert_and_Broo_on_country_lane.jpg

Arwen

android said:
TMNT
Duck Tales
Inspector Gadget
Tale Spin
And this one from my youth.... The Raccoons. Damn Cyril Sneer.
The_Raccoons-Bert_and_Broo_on_country_lane.jpg

Great show. But ist was on at the same time as Degrassi so my two wretched older sisters never let me watch it after school :(

Jem and the Holograms
Biker Mice From Mars
He-Man
Santo Bugito

Mighty Max
Darkwing Duck
Gargoyles
Alladin
DuckTales
Captain Planet
Bump in the Night
TMNT

... the list goes on.

Dead

well not really...yet
Nemrael said:
No love for Ulysses 31? Great retellings of Greek myths, plus it featured one of the best spaceships ever.

ulysses312.jpg

ulysses315.jpg

ulysses4.jpg

u31odyssey2.jpg
I always watched this show as a kid. Great stuff.

mrroboto

Banned
voltron
transformers
thundercats
he-man
gi joe
jayce and the wheeled warriors
mask
battle of the planets
tranzor z

doh forgot-inhumanoids!

hobbitx

Probably my most favorite is the whole action block from when Toonami was first getting started. Thundercats, Robotech, Voltron, these cartoons were old, but they were so new and awesome to me, one of the best summers I ever had watching these everyday.

My other favorties:
Rocko's Modern Life
Super Book!!!
Flying House!!!
Mummies Alive
Double Dragon
Arthur
G-Force
Mighty Max
Batman
Spiderman
Bobby's World
Eek the Cat (Not to forget "The Terrible Thunder Lizards")

Wendo

Vasectomember
Arwen said:
Biker Mice From Mars

... the list goes on.

Who the hell comes up with shows like that? I can just see some guys in a boardroom. "Hey, let's make the show about Bikers! Yeah! And MICE! AND THEY'RE FROM MARS!

The only shows that I would make sure to watch were

Batman
X-men
ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE
Ren and Stimpy
The Real Ghostbusters

None of the rest were very good. I'd watch 'em, but it'd be more of a "watching them just to watch tv" kind of thing.

Shinobi

Alucard said:
Yeah, try watching some of those old shows now and try to tell me that they weren't as "bad" or worse than some of the stuff out today. Your opinion is tainted with nostalgia. When you're a kid it doesn't take a lot to impress you.

Heh, Dungeons and Dragons is a prime example of this. I remember thinking it was some sort of epic cartoon when I was a kid. I saw it on Fox a few years ago (making for a 15 year gap), and I was stunned at how cheap and crude it looked.

Nemrael said:
No, it's not Jesus - he just digs his style.

:lol That's a great line. I remember this cartoon...thought it was cheesey as fuck myself.

The golden age for cartoons was whenever the MGM and Looney Tunes shorts were being produced. Bugs, Foghorn, Elmer, Porky...Tom, Jerry, Droopy, Barney. Throw the Flintstones and Jetsons into that mix and you've got the real golden age.

Anyway, the #1 pick for me is pretty obvious...

batman_animated.jpg

Nothing comes close...the series has frankly gotten better with age.

Others on my list...

Peanuts
Garfield
Kissyfur (probably sucks now, but I loved it back then)
Muppet Babies
Earthworm Jim (disgraceful that this hasn't been listed...easily the best game translation to grace US TV)
Duck Tales
Gummi Bears
Talespin
Darkwing Duck
Tiny Toons
Spider-Man
X-Men
Superman

And you know what, fuck the 80's and 90's...I'm gonna add the treasures from previous decades that I grew up watching in the 80's.

Looney Tunes
MGM
Flintstones
Top Cat
The Hunter
Mr Magoo
Superman (40's)
Whacky Races
Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
Peanuts

There...that's a far better list.

Jeffahn

Super-toon extraordinaire
Freakazoid! Freakazoid!
Runs around in underwear
Freakazoid! Freakazoid!

Rescues Washington D.C.
Freakazoid! Freakazoid!
Unless something better's on TV
Freakazoid! Freakazoid!

His brain's overloading
It has a chocolate coating
Textbook case for Sigmund Freud
Freakazoid! Freakazoid!

Check out Dexter Douglas
Nerd computer ace
Went surfing on the internet
And was zapped to cyberspace

He turned into the Freakazoid
He's strong and super-quick
He drives the villains crazy
'Cause he's a lunatic
His home base is the Freakalair
Freakazoid! Fricassee!
Floyd the Barber cuts his hair
Freakazoid! Chimpanzee!

Rides around in the Freakmobile
Freakazoid! Freakazoo!
Hopes to make a movie deal
Freaka me! Freaka you!

He's here to save the nation
So stay tuned to this station
If not, we'll be unemployed
Freakazoid! Freakazoid!
Freakazoid!!!

Buggy Loop

The lost golden city or whatever its called in english.. I've watched it so many times and even at the age of 23, whenever there's a rerun i try to watch it.

cite-d'or-fc.jpg

:D

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Thundarr the Barbarian

The show is one of the greatest cartoons ever made imho. Jack Kirby designed most of the characters and locations.

10.jpg

19.jpg

15.jpg

Manics

Banned
Noone mentioned the Mighty Hercules??? Even the song was awesome on that show:

Herc:
hercules21.jpg

The loveable Newt:
hercules7.jpg

The always hot Helena:
hercules12.jpg

And of course, the man, Zeus:
hercules2.jpg

Hercules, hero of song and story!
Hercules, winner of ancient glory!
Fighting for the right, fighting with his might;
With the strength of ten, ordinary men!
Hercules, people are safe when near him!
Hercules, only the evil fear him!
Softness in his eyes, iron in his thighs;
Virtue in his heart, fire in every part of
The Mighty Hercules!

luxsol

SantaCruZer said:
uh well that's probably true. Nostalgia is a big part of it. So what's popular today? Are digimon and pokemon, new He-man or whatever really better than the cartoons in the past?
The new He-Man was way better than the original. Quality animation, better stories, NOT CHEESY, and keeping a lot of the mythos intact. The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is very good... but i can't bring myself to watch it because I'm extremely biased. I love the original TMNT to get into the new one.

Digimon and Pokemon are pretty good, but they had come out in the 80s they'd be the best the 80s offered.

And why the hell hasn't anyone mentioned Reboot?? I usually had to decide between watching Reboot and X-Men and Reboot always won if it was new.
cast.gif

Where the hell are the DVDs for the first seasons?!!?

I also forgot about The Tick. One of the funniest cartoons ever made. All the villains were hilarious jokes too.
The Mad Bomber (what bombs at midnight)
evilmidnightbomber.jpg

The Human Ton (and whatever his puppet was called
thehumantonandhandy.jpg

And my favorite: Barry
barry2.jpg

Tritroid

I'm glad someone mentioned Reboot.

I was ADDICTED to that show back in the day.

It sucked how they stopped showing new episodes on network channels after Bob got sucked into 'TEH WEB!'

Never got to find out what happened. :(

Brimstone said:
Thundarr the Barbarian

The show is one of the greatest cartoons ever made imho. Jack Kirby designed most of the characters and locations.

10.jpg

19.jpg

15.jpg

HELL YEAH! THUNDARR ROCKED!

For me it was:

Looney Toons (BUGS BUNNY >>>> ALL)
Ren & Stimpy
Thundarr The Barbarian
DuckTails
X-Men
TMNT
Winnie The Pooh (I feel so gay mentioning this but fuck it. I liked this show damn it)
Johnny Quest
Galtar
The Tick
Gi-Joe
Transformers
The Amazing Spiderman
Superfriends

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
to the guy who mentioned Looney Tunes and MGM (Tex Avery, Tom & Jerry, etc).. those shorts were pretty much ALL (95%+) produced long before television. They were produced as animted shorts that would play before feature movies. Back when you could get a cartoon, A nd B movie, and newsreel all for a couple cents..

it wasn't until the 60's I believe (at the earliest) that those shorts were then transfered over to the domain of staurday morning cartoons.

so really those shorts span all generations being they were reruns (so to speak) from the beginning.

and to all you guys talking about cartoon theme songs.. yeah, M.A.S.K. was the best.. no questions.. but a close second HAD to be Mighty Orbots... or Silverhawks.

Wings of silver, nerves of steel
Sil-ver--HAAAWWWKSSS...

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
The Tick was fantastic also. Definatley one of the funniest and witty toon's ever created.

I enjoyed Robotech and Dungeons and Dragons as well.

Shinobi

borghe said:
to the guy who mentioned Looney Tunes and MGM (Tex Avery, Tom & Jerry, etc).. those shorts were pretty much ALL (95%+) produced long before television. They were produced as animted shorts that would play before feature movies. Back when you could get a cartoon, A nd B movie, and newsreel all for a couple cents..

it wasn't until the 60's I believe (at the earliest) that those shorts were then transfered over to the domain of staurday morning cartoons.

so really those shorts span all generations being they were reruns (so to speak) from the beginning.

That's cool. At the end of the day those shows stand the test of time, and probably will for another hundred years.

BTW, the current TMNT murders the old one...only episodes worth a damn in the original were the first five.

Buggy Loop said:
The lost golden city or whatever its called in english.. I've watched it so many times and even at the age of 23, whenever there's a rerun i try to watch it.

cite-d'or-fc.jpg

:D

Buggy Loop, you are my friend.

I've never ever seen the ending of the series though. I watch the series every time I see it, but I never, ever saw the ending. I think the furthest I've seen is the big olmec ship/thingie, which is probably a couple of episodes away from the final.

Release the dvds already. :(

Rocket9

6.8 said:
Buggy Loop, you are my friend.

I've never ever seen the ending of the series though. I watch the series every time I see it, but I never, ever saw the ending. I think the furthest I've seen is the big olmec ship/thingie, which is probably a couple of episodes away from the final.

Release the dvds already. :(

The french DVDs have been out for at least a year and a half, in fact there's one on eBay right now. Not sure about the english ones.

And yeah that ship battle was about, I think, 4 episodes from the end. 39 episodes total

Jeffahn

Forgot about this:

getalong.jpg

Don't remeber much about it though.

Also, I second The Racoons -great feel-good show, with some funny shit.

I'm surprised more people don't remember Galaxy Rangers. It was decent from what I remember, and I believe it had the first CG character in a cartoon, looked like crap, but it was made in '86.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Transformers
Beavis & Butthead
He-man
TMNT
Milla Superstar <-- :lol
Duck Tales
Capitan Planet
ThunderCats
Asterix & Obelix
The Smurfs
A je to! <-- legendary!
PMbilli0.jpg

Se-ma-for!
The Mole
mole-music.jpg

Dwarf Smuk
Lolek&Bolek
lolek&bolek.jpg

Pingo
pingu15.jpg

The Line
Topsy and the singing grass <--- :lol :lol

and much, much more

firex

TMNT (I got into the comics later and the cartoon wasn't nearly as faithful to the comics as it could have/should have been)
Batman (should be pretty obvious, this series rocked when it first came out and still does today, and is one of the few cartoons that I think is enjoyable even if you find cartoons to be kiddy)

AniHawk

Tritroid said:
I'm glad someone mentioned Reboot.

I was ADDICTED to that show back in the day.

It sucked how they stopped showing new episodes on network channels after Bob got sucked into 'TEH WEB!'

Never got to find out what happened. :(

Oh damn! Reboot! I loved that show.

Memory's pretty rusty, it's been four or five years now. What happens is later down the line, Enzo becomes known as "Matrix" (I think). The girl that was his age is now grown up and so is he. They and the surfer guy plus some other people I can't remember go searching for Bob. After a couple of episodes or a season, they find Bob, and Bob is all jazzed up due to being in the web (He has silver hair plus new "clothes"). The series finale takes place when Bob, Hexadecimal, and pretty much everyone from every season (including kid Enzo who appears *with* adult Enzo) unite to defeat Megabyte once and for all.

A couple years back, they had planned a couple movies (from TVtome):

In "Daemon Rising", the evil super virus Daemon, having infected all of the Guardians with her evil influcence, launches an attack on Mainframe, Bob and Matrix, the only clean Guardians, free of Daemon's infection, must uncover the dark secrets of Bob's past to secure Mainframe's future

In "My Two Bobs", the aftermath of the battle with Daemon leaves Dot with two verisons of Bob, both claiming to be the real one, a wedding, and a possible funeral for Mainframe when an old enemy returns...

The movies were aired as the fourth season, broken up into seven "episodes." Apparently the first two seasons were done between 1994 and 1996 (with only one episode airing in 1996). Season 3 was shown in 1999, and "Season 4" was shown in 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom