• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite 80s cartoon villain

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelFoley

I grew up in the 80s, IMO, the best era of weekday afternoon/Saturday morning cartoons. Watched all the toons back then and collected the toys, most of which I still have to this day.

For any other 80s kids here, who was your favorite 80s cartoon villain?

Megatron and/or Starscream - The Transformers
Cobra Commander - G.I. Joe
Mumm-Ra - Thundercats
Skeletor - He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Hordak - She-Ra Princess of Power
Cy-Kill - Challenge of the Gobots
Miles Mayhem - M.A.S.K.
Zarkon and/or Lotor - Voltron
Darkseid - Super Powers
Gargamel - Smurfs

Transform and roll out if old

Sojgat

Mon-Star - SilverHawks

He was the best. He rode a giant space squid and transformed into a robot (or something).

tumblr_npef08CcO61qa8jfto3_400.gif

tumblr_npef08CcO61qa8jfto4_400.gif

tumblr_o841ctXH3i1r239fno1_500.gif

Apt101

Three way tie: Duke Igthorn, King Zarkon, Starscream.

Honorable mention to Cobra Commander and Megatron. Edit: also Mother Brain from Captain N.

I never cared for Mumm-Ra but Ma-Mutt was great.

Matty77

My favorite villians as a kid were always Megatron and Zartan. And Destro but forget if he was in the cartoon or just toys and comics.

Apt101

My favorite villians as a kid were always Megatron and Zartan. And Destro but forget if he was in the cartoon or just toys and comics.

Destro was most definitely in the cartoon. The more sensible foil to passionate (and stupid) Cobra Commander.

GuyKazama

Megatron, then Cobra Commander. That Transformers episode with Cobra Commander was pretty awesome.

Zartan and Starscream are great evil lieutenants.

Mumm-Ra was conceptually pretty cool, but never delivered.

Matty77

Destro was most definitely in the cartoon. The more sensible foil to passionate (and stupid) Cobra Commander.
I thought so but I always get them messed up (cartoon and comic that is) Cobra Commander was cool, at least rag face not the Fred model, but Destro was always pulling a Starscream on him, while also shacking up with Baroness.

Kojiro Hyuga and Ken Wakashimazu from Captain Tsubasa. They weren't exactly villains, but were the bad guys in that anime anyway!

PSDodq.jpg

KT4aGv.jpg

Alx

Original Taopaipai is still the best.
taopaipai-featured1-300x200.jpg

Cool looking, lethal, really mean, and still funny.

Special prize for creativity : "weird guy from Grendizer"
4e520de4095f778734f64b8e5cc5f76a.jpg

FStop7

Banned
What was the rectangle thing on the cartoon version of Cobra Commander's helmet?

My favorite villains were probably Shockwave from Transformers, Destro from GI Joe, and Sly Rax from MASK.

Megatron had a cool voice but he was kind of a chump.

Fave Shockwave art

300px-Shockwavearealldead.jpg

Gr8one

Lots of good options available from He-Man,TMNT, Transformers, or G.I. Joe, but i'm going to go with a villian that terrified me in my younger years. Non other than The Real Ghostbusters' Boogieman. Guy was so evil and scary as fuck, they brought him back for an episode the next season., which I don't think happened again on the show.

Cometh05.jpg

Lots of good options available from He-Man,TMNT, Transformers, or G.I. Joe, but i'm going to go with a villian that terrified me in my younger years. Non other than The Real Ghostbusters' Boogieman. Guy was so evil and scary as fuck, they brought him back for an episode the next season., which I don't think happened again on the show.

Cometh05.jpg

Samhain reoccurred too (the Halloween king)

My favorite villains were probably Shockwave from Transformers, Destro from GI Joe, and Sly Rax from MASK.

Megatron had a cool voice but he was kind of a chump.

Fave Shockwave art

300px-Shockwavearealldead.jpg

I though shockwave was pretty lame in the cartoon. He was amazing in the marvel comics though.

Tizoc

80s cartoon villains to me were pretty incompetent fsr as villains go
But i do enjoy them messing up and they have some fun scens that are still entertaining

Marvie_3

Banned
Shredder from TMNT.

Went back and forth from total badass to being hilariously worthless. Plus James Avery did a great job with the voice work.

80s cartoon villains to me were pretty incompetent fsr as villains go
But i do enjoy them messing up and they have some fun scens that are still entertaining

I dunno, Morgana and Mordred in The Legend of Prince Valiant were pretty competent. Valiant was pretty serialised though, and had ongoing storylines.

Problem is most of the others hit the reset button at the end of each episode. Thundercats was getting pretty good with the Lunataks until Leonard Starr got fired and the series went to hell.

Tizoc

I dunno, Morgana and Mordred in The Legend of Prince Valiant were pretty competent. Valiant was pretty serialised though, and had ongoing storylines.

Problem is most of the others hit the reset button at the end of each episode. Thundercats was getting pretty good with the Lunataks until Leonard Starr got fired and the series went to hell.
Fair enough but of the 80s cartoons i watched the villains felt more 'bumbling comic relief' than a serious threat ^^;

Matty77

Fair enough but of the 80s cartoons i watched the villains felt more 'bumbling comic relief' than a serious threat ^^;
I think that was one of those FCC concession things. Remember these cartoons were basically toy commercials devoid of any value other than being entertaining as hell to the target demographics so they had a very "crime don't pay, evil always loses" tone and a tacked on knowing is half the battle type PSA on the end of every episode. When the FCC and other groups cracked down and they started enforcing things about amount of educational and learning content the cartoons started getting more levels which led to more nuanced villians and less black and white evil must be defeated in half an hour preferably by their own incompetence type situation.

Flipyap

Special prize for creativity : "weird guy from Grendizer"
4e520de4095f778734f64b8e5cc5f76a.jpg
What the hell is that?! That's fantastic!

*googles*

"Gandal occasionally appears to be a man wearing a suit that conceals his body. During certain times, Gandal's face splits open to reveal Lady Gandal. At first Lady Gandal appeared as a small female entity with long red hair and wearing a red outfit with a rod. When Lady Gandal's body was destroyed, she began to share Gandal's body, taking full control over Gandal's body she appears as a more feminine appearing version of Gandal with makeup, larger eyebrows, and a diamond decoration on her forehead.."

Man, I've been missing out. I need to find a time traveler to inject some of this wonderful weirdness into my childhood.

NEO0MJ

I though shockwave was pretty lame in the cartoon. He was amazing in the marvel comics though.

Yeah, dude was a chump in the cartoon with barely any personality. Really, most cartoon characters were paper thin with a single gimmick to define them.
Praise Bob Budiansky for making them more than that.

Ulysses 31

Zoltar from Battle of the Planets

TMBapbh.png

Hey I was only a kid back then and didn't know that was a butchered version of Gatchaman. >.>

Dantooine

Banned
Venger and Tiamat the Dragon from Dungeon and Dragons. Loved that cartoon.
Also, +1 for Zoltar! Ever see the episode where he/she was unmasked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom