• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Giant

Banned
tNbXKyv.png

So is Nintendo gonna announce something later today and go into detail about it tomorrow? Like they did with the Universal studios theme park announcement.

Thraktor

So is Nintendo gonna announce something later today and go into detail about it tomorrow? Like they did with the Universal studios theme park announcement.

What they're about to publish will only be the basic quarterly financial details (i.e. revenue, profit/loss, etc., etc.). Tomorrow's investor's briefing is where they would "announce" something, if "announce" is a synonym of "make a vague reference to the existence of".

bachikarn

NX: Anything new about its coming videogame system code-named NX is unlikely at the earnings conference because Nintendo would want to focus on Miitomo first. Nintendo has declined to say when it will kick off its promotional campaign, but analysts expect more details in June and a product launch toward the year-end shopping season.

Malus

NX: Anything new about its coming videogame system code-named NX is unlikely at the earnings conference because Nintendo would want to focus on Miitomo first. Nintendo has declined to say when it will kick off its promotional campaign, but analysts expect more details in June and a product launch toward the year-end shopping season.

To which he later retweeted and said "...or not :)"

He's gone mad with power

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Theoretically we could be told tomorrow if the NX is all game card-based or if there will have a disc-based SKU and stuff like that, couldn't we? We really know next to nothing right now so even knowing that could tell us if the systems are somewhat separate for example. If everything has to work on the handheld that will be quite polarising. A resolution and frame rate boost on inferior assets can only go so far.

I'm going to guess there will be additional info and a release date for Miitomo as well as perhaps some info on the other smartphone titles. After all, that's where we got the info last time, not in a Nintendo Direct.

The sales gap between the 3DS in Japan and the Americas will probably widen in the earnings report, calling it now, with the entire rest of the world in third place. I wonder how, if at all, Nintendo will try to stop further erosion of the dedicated handheld market outside of Japan with NX.

methodman

Banned
In the match of 3DS vs Wii U, it's the Wii U that cant go another year.
They both gotta go. Nintendo needs to drop two consoles that play the same games (540p on portable and better than ps4 on console) on the same day with a $500 bundle (200 portable, 350 console). I'd cop that in seconds.

Guys. Lol! 😂

Results after 1 AM EST tonight. Meeting at 8 PM EST tomorrow.

Results are after 3 PM tomorrow JST. That's 1 AM tonight they're 14 hrs ahead. So the meeting is 10 AM Weds. JST, which is tomorrow evening at 8 PM EST. ☺

There's definitely a meeting? I thought it would be on their calendar.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Theoretically we could be told tomorrow if the NX is all game card-based or if there will have a disc-based SKU and stuff like that, couldn't we? We really know next to nothing right now so even knowing that could tell us if the systems are somewhat separate for example. If everything has to work on the handheld that will be quite polarising. A resolution and frame rate boost on inferior assets can only go so far.

I'm going to guess there will be additional info and a release date for Miitomo as well as perhaps some info on the other smartphone titles. After all, that's where we got the info last time, not in a Nintendo Direct.

The sales gap between the 3DS in Japan and the Americas will probably widen in the earnings report, calling it now, with the entire rest of the world in third place. I wonder how, if at all, Nintendo will try to stop further erosion of the dedicated handheld market outside of Japan with NX.

One of the reasons for backing a cart only solution was to support simpler retail inventory management and support cross buy. But I guess you could do w same by simoly packing a disc in the box too. Either the disc works on its own in the home console, or its just a steamworks-like data disc to install improved assets and the game still runs from cart.

Anyway, I doubt we'd hear any of that kind of detail.
Likely : a reiteration of the project and timescales for further information.
Less likely: telling us whether the portable/home/both are coming out this year and whether it is cross buy
Highly unlikely: cart or disc, performance, controller etc.

I think the mods outlawed hype train images. The last thing we need is for the thread to get locked.
well here it is

Someone pointed out that hype trains are banned

which somehow invariably results in some dumbass heading up the very next page with a hype train

heeere we go get hype

(train)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Aaaaand... nope.

qcDBQBI.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming he lives in Japan and thus "today" is February 2nd. If there's a meeting on the 3rd, this tweet doesn't mean the console can't be addressed in some way then (though I actually don't expect it). Is this correct?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming he lives in Japan and thus "today" is February 2nd. If there's a meeting on the 3rd, this tweet doesn't mean the console can't be addressed in some way then (though I actually don't expect it). Is this correct?

You're over thinking. he just means from the earnings report. Yes tomorrow is another thing to hype up for potential disappointment. Or picking over the bones with a fine tooth comb and a microscope. Probably that one.

E-phonk

Banned
A question that hasn't been discussed that often: A lot of people ask about WiiU BC, but how viable would 3DS BC be assuming they choose ARMv8's like A53 & A57 CPU's?

I assume the GPU and strange architecture of 3DS would hold it back?

It probably won't be addressed but your desperation is correct.

But what about this? It's the same guy. What now?
When is the call again?

There's no call. There's a Q&A tonight (US Time). It's highly likely that they'll be asked about NX, but whether or not they say anything worthwhile is an entirely different story.

Gonna choose to go with this. A lot more fun that way. If it doesn't happen no biggie.

Litri

A question that hasn't been discussed that often: A lot of people ask about WiiU BC, but how viable would 3DS BC be assuming they choose ARMv8's like A53 & A57 CPU's?

GPU would probably be a bit of a problem but when it comes to CPU architecture, the most common instructions used by the ancient ARM 11 (ARMv6) should still be good to go in ARMv8. I think that CPU wise should not be a huge deal but others in this thread will surely have a better saying on this topic.

Pokemaniac

From a CPU perspective, everything should Just Work™ so long as 3DS software is reasonably well behaved. GPU could get a bit weird, but the fact that 3DS software has to go through the OS to communicate with the GPU will be a pretty big boon, since it provides an easy place for them to insert a software translation layer that implements the 3DS graphics API using the NX one.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

ARMv8 has a 32-bit mode* which is BC to ARMv7 almost completely (not 100% but 99.5%), and ARMv7 is a superset of ARMv6, so the CPU side is covered. The PICA would be interesting, though, with its proprietary extensions (volumetric primitives, procedural textures, etc).

* the A53 microbench I posted was run in that mode for, erm, technical reasons.

There's no call. There's a Q&A tonight (US Time). It's highly likely that they'll be asked about NX, but whether or not they say anything worthwhile is an entirely different story.

It would be fantastic if they would randomly show the console. Just the console itself, no games or any other info. Just a "there it is and now move on to another topic."

Hermii

It would be fantastic if they would randomly show the console. Just the console itself, no games or any other info. Just a "there it is and now move on to another topic."

Not going to happen. Investor briefings are not meant to get press attention or publicity. They are only meant to instil confidence in investors and communicate with them and only the most hardcore of enthusiasts pays attention to them.

Genie in a Bottle: "ElTorro! I'll grant you one wish!"

ElTorro: "I want a highway from Europe to North America!"

Genie in a Bottle: "Oh, that's a though one, I don't think that's possible! Any other idea?"

ElTorro: "Then I just want NX to have account-based license management and a VC service with cross-buy and cloud saves. I fully trust Nintendo to be capable to build an online infrastructure worthy of 2016.*weeps silently*"

Genie in a Bottle: "... Okay, so, that highway, 3 or 4 lanes?"

FTFY

E-phonk

Banned
From a CPU perspective, everything should Just Work™ so long as 3DS software is reasonably well behaved. GPU could get a bit weird, but the fact that 3DS software has to go through the OS to communicate with the GPU will be a pretty big boon, since it provides an easy place for them to insert a software translation layer that implements the 3DS graphics API using the NX one.

ARMv8 has a 32-bit mode* which is BC to ARMv7 almost completely (not 100% but 99.5%), and ARMv7 is a superset of ARMv6, so the CPU side is covered. The PICA would be interesting, though, with its proprietary extensions (volumetric primitives, procedural textures, etc).

* the A53 microbench I posted was run in that mode for, erm, technical reasons.

Thanks, that was +/- what i was thinking.

maxcriden

(Ugh, bottom of page. ;___;)

OK, it's clear now, thank you! :) I just saw the date at NCL website and went crazy...

Sure thing! Ever since I made a few friends in JP I finally have a grasp on the time zone difference. In March it'll become 13 hours rather than 14 when DST starts.

Of course! I gotta dress neatly to be ready for the megatons that Kimi will drop! hah. Thanks for the time info. Looking forward to it.

Sure thing. And I should dress up for E3! lol.

What they're about to publish will only be the basic quarterly financial details (i.e. revenue, profit/loss, etc., etc.). Tomorrow's investor's briefing is where they would "announce" something, if "announce" is a synonym of "make a vague reference to the existence of".

Right, this is exactly what I was thinking. Which makes it all the more odd to me that Mochizuki says "hey, see, there was no NX news after all" but...the briefing where IIRC we normally get any snippet of news didn't happen yet...and won't be happening for just over 13 hours...which confuses me all the more unless I'm misunderstanding....

There's definitely a meeting? I thought it would be on their calendar.

Scuttlebutt from Rösti and another poster (sorry other poster, I forgot who said this ;___;) is that it will be happening, and per the other poster will be in Osaka. Just over 13 hours.

You're over thinking. he just means from the earnings report. Yes tomorrow is another thing to hype up for potential disappointment. Or picking over the bones with a fine tooth comb and a microscope. Probably that one.

I don't expect much about NX at the meeting, but kirbyfan isn't overthinking. There was no reason that I know of to expect an earnings report to ever have NX news to begin with. What makes Mochizuki's tweet indicating "hey, see, no NX news after all" all the odder is that all the other stuff he speculated would be talked about wasn't talked about in the earnings release either. Because it wouldn't be in the earnings release. It would be at the meeting, in 13 hrs and 9 minutes. (6:51 AM EST when I'm typing this). Today is Feb. 2 still in Japan. So I'm truly befuddled by Mochizuki's seemingly confirmatory tweet when the meeting hasn't taken place yet so none of his predictions of things to be discussed by Nintendo or not discussed have occurred yet, unless I'm totally misunderstanding.

Right, no call. But I think we get a briefing with the Q&A (someone please do correct me if I'm mistaken). Briefing can provide some info at times also.

Not going to happen. Investor briefings are not meant to get press attention or publicity. They are only meant to instil confidence in investors and communicate with them and only the most hardcore of enthusiasts pays attention to them.

Yep. I'm not expecting much at the briefing. Maybe a few hints or vague or better timeline at best.

No NX news confirmed?!

Expected but still disappointed

Come on Nintendo. Gives just a little sneak peek you bitches

Yeah that's how I feel, I knew there'd be nothing, but I'm still eager to hear anything (ANYTHING) about the NX

Please see my replies above this. There is no reason AFAIK that we would have gotten any NX info or any info that was speculated to be discussed by Nintendo (theme parks, Miitomo, et al.) prior to the briefing and Q&A that has yet to take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom