• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

zmjirrn7buwmdjh19ki3.jpg

Whoa! So it looks like Nintendo properties will indeed be coming to Universal Studios Osaka as well. Hyped! https://t.co/ylYa5AGtuc
— Kyle McLain (@FarmboyinJapan) February 2, 2016

(via GoNintendo)

Wasn't sure where to put this. Not surprising but cool to see.

The investor meeting is at 2 AM CET, right? I wonder if we get some info tweeted from it.

Yep, that's right. Hopefully someone will tweet it.

maxcriden

My grandma did (RIP). Tried to teach her the proper way but nope. Once it got in there, it stayed. :)

:) Fond memories, I'm sure. And, my condolences.

My mom usually says Meh-rio. Or she used to at least. Eek. Lol. I think I've taught her the correct way though.

Eradicate

Don't know if this was posted elsewhere (probably was, but not here), but I saw a snippet from our friend:

Analysts expect Miitomo, developed in partnership with mobile-game platform operator DeNA Inc., to contribute little to earnings. It will be free to download and built around communications features, meaning users won’t spend a lot for add-on items in a race for high scores.

Analysts have been watching for indications of how Nintendo’s mobile game will interact with a next-generation system that Nintendo has under development, code-named NX.

Mr. Kimishima said Tuesday that the company will provide an update “not too late in the course of this year.”

Analysts expect Nintendo NX to be unveiled in spring, with a possible release in October or November.

“Nintendo’s NX and smartphone games will be a test case for the videogame industry’s trend of trying to merge smart-device games and console-based games,” said Junko Yamamura, an analyst at Nomura Securities.

One of the main challenges will be generating revenue from mobile games, which can be difficult for developers of free games unless they rank among the most downloaded titles in app stores.

Shigeru Miyamoto, a Nintendo game developer who now holds the title of creative fellow, has said previously that the smartphone game business will be one of company’s pillars. But some analysts say it will avoid pushing sales too hard for fear of alienating fans.

“Nintendo will be looking to make high quality games apps that engage a broad audience with aggressive monetization being less important,” said Piers Harding-Rolls, director of Games at IHS Technology.

From: http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-profit-slumps-in-3rd-quarter-1454397802 (do the Google trick)

TheMoon

It's sure as fuck better than "Ninty".

I use Ninty only in writing when lazy, never said it out loud. Sounds weird. :D

:) Fond memories, I'm sure. And, my condolences.

My mom usually says Meh-rio. Or she used to at least. Eek. Lol. I think I've taught her the correct way though.

:D

Really "meh-rio"? Or is it just the usual East coast pronunciation?

The N7 - launching with Mass Effect: Super Mario Edition

Would buy day 1 if done by Straight Right/Tantalus again :)

maxcriden

Don't know if this was posted elsewhere (probably was, but not here), but I saw a snippet from our friend.

From: http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-profit-slumps-in-3rd-quarter-1454397802 (do the Google trick)

Found the full article. Thank you. So there was a briefing? When/where did Kimi-san say this...?

Mr. Kimishima said Tuesday that the company will provide an update "not too late in the course of this year."

Huh. I guess we'll get a similar statement in the briefing/Q&A, then.

Eradicate

Found the full article. Thank you. So there was a briefing? When/where did Kimi-san say this...?

Huh. I guess we'll get a similar statement in the briefing/Q&A, then.

It looks like this was said at the actual meeting. It may have been an off the cuff remark. Maybe someone here snuck in and yelled at Kimishima about it and after the ninjas got rid of him, he said this to avert attention.

Being an optimist, technically any point in time after he said that IS later in the course of the year!

I also saw this BBC write up with a snippet to share from Piers Harding-Rolls, one of the analysts quoted in the WSJ article:

However, Mr Harding-Rolls said he believed Nintendo's main focus was on pushing out a successor to the Wii U.

"I think we'll definitely hear more about the NX at the E3 games expo [in June]," he said.

"It's also possible that we could also see a regional launch of the new product into the market this year, even if a global rollout has to wait."

I know there's been discussion here about, say, the handheld releasing in Japan with the console in the West, but I hadn't heard the idea before about just a regional launch yet.

(I like to peruse these articles just because the same people who were there may have different factoids that get reported on and someone might say something interesting.)

maxcriden

It looks like this was said at the actual meeting. It may have been an off the cuff remark. Maybe someone here snuck in and yelled at Kimishima about it and after the ninjas got rid of him, he said this to avert attention.

Being an optimist, technically any point in time after he said that IS later in the course of the year!

I also saw this BBC write up with a snippet to share from Piers Harding-Rolls, one of the analysts quoted in the WSJ article:

I know there's been discussion here about, say, the handheld releasing in Japan with the console in the West, but I hadn't heard the idea before about just a regional launch yet.

(I like to peruse these articles just because the same people who were there may have different factoids that get reported on and someone might say something interesting.)

I think it's great that you do. I really appreciate it. What's odd to me though is that the meeting/Q&A hasn't taken place yet. It's in about 12 hours. Interesting about the idea in re: a regional launch only. That would be very odd in this day and age I think. For a major new piece of hardware and not a revision, Nintendo hasn't done a roll-out in only one region since GameCube, and even then it was only a Sept. (JP) to Nov. (NA) difference. Hmm. I'd be honestly surprised if only one region got NX this year but an other (or others) didn't. Especially since the holiday season is a bigger deal in NA than JP.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Honestly, I think the "not too far off into the year" is about the relationship between smartphone games and NX, given the precedent statement, not NX itself.

Also, right after the results, there's always a small briefing with some comments / some small anticipations of what's going to be a topic at the investor meeting, which doesn't mean that there won't be stuff even barely mentioned in the results briefing. At the same time, it doesn't mean that, tomorrow, we'll get an insane amount of NX infos. If there's anything, expect some tidbits mostly related to Miitomo and Nintendo Account + MyNintendo, which should be major topics tomorrow.

“Not too late in the course of this year.”

Hahaha, he is being as coy as one can be without outright saying, "NX? What is NX?"

Nintendo want people to buy new 3DS and Wii U up to the day before NX launch. Iwata really didn't want to even mention this thing last year, but he was growing increasingly fed up with the misunderstandings.

How does this thread compare to the Wii U speculation threads?

Was there more hope then or now? The biggest difference is of course that Wiiu came after a smash hit and NX comes after a miserable failure.

maxcriden

Honestly, I think the "not too far off into the year" is about the relationship between smartphone games and NX, given the precedent statement, not NX itself.

Also, right after the results, there's always a small briefing with some comments / some small anticipations of what's going to be a topic at the investor meeting, which doesn't mean that there won't be stuff even barely mentioned in the results briefing. At the same time, it doesn't mean that, tomorrow, we'll get an insane amount of NX infos. If there's anything, expect some tidbits mostly related to Miitomo and Nintendo Account + MyNintendo, which should be major topics tomorrow.

Oh, gotcha. Thanks for the info! I gather then that the small briefing is where the comments Mochizuki-san referred to come from. Anyway, your expectations for the meeting are definitely in line with my own.

Europe didn't get GCN until May 2002, and the NDS until March 2005... :p

I was going to mention this, at least about GCN, but then I figured it undercut my point a bit and my larger point was really just that it would be very unusual to be restricted to one region only. I'd have said the same thing if JP/EU tended to get stuff before NA. :)

Eradicate

I think it's great that you do. I really appreciate it. What's odd to me though is that the meeting/Q&A hasn't taken place yet. It's in about 12 hours. Interesting about the idea in re: a regional launch only. That would be very odd in this day and age I think. For a major new piece of hardware and not a revision, Nintendo hasn't done a roll-out in only one region since GameCube, and even then it was only a Sept. (JP) to Nov. (NA) difference. Hmm. I'd be honestly surprised if only one region got NX this year but an other (or others) didn't. Especially since the holiday season is a bigger deal in NA than JP.

I agree with you and think that they would want to try and keep the release dates worldwide (except apparently in Europe!) as close as possible. (I'm no expert on Nintendo's previous release schedules or anything though!) It especially seems so as they are trying to get their name out there a lot more, especially via smartphones which many more people own than videogame systems. With such a large audience base to try for, I'd have to think they want it out all over as much as possible as close together as possible.

See, that's a good point. But, then, it brings up another point. Is the NX going to tie into smartphones (maybe other devices?) more than we think? It's certainly possible it'll be bare minimum stuff (or even not at all, and he's just corporate-speaking), but I wonder if they have far more interesting things in mind. It's probably worth keeping it in the back of your head once they reveal what these smartphone games are and what they do to see what plans they may have for NX.

I look forward to whatever crumbs that fall off the table!

“Not too late in the course of this year.”

Hahaha, he is being as coy as one can be without outright saying, "NX? What is NX?"

Nintendo want people to buy new 3DS and Wii U up to the day before NX launch. Iwata really didn't want to even mention this thing last year, but he was growing increasingly fed up with the misunderstandings.

He sure is! I hope Kimishima gets real fed up!

"Not too late in the course of the year" ... damn, i wish i had been able to be that creative with words and their arrangement back in school. Would've made essays so much easier.

I hope that "Not too late in the course of the year" doesn't translate to E³.

If the system(s) do(es) have one or another concept(s) to shake things up, they should be aware that consumers/gamers need to get a defnitive clarification. They don't want a mess similar to the one with Wii U, again.

E³ event might get to cluttered, if they just dump everything in it ... system basics, all details, games, services, launch details, etc. Chance for misinformation galore.

Also, SQEX was eager to announce a game for the system in 2015, help those poor 3rds and pubs, and give us the systems name. ^^

Banned
Ah Jesus were not gonna know an ounce of info until E3. That's 15 months after Iwata dropped the NX bomb. Should have just said they'll talk about it at E3 2016. Would have saved a lot of pointless headaches for them and the media.

shingi70

Banned
Ah Jesus were not gonna know an ounce of info until E3. That's 15 months after Iwata dropped the NX bomb. Should have just said they'll talk about it at E3 2016. Would have saved a lot of pointless headaches for them and the media.

I do wonder if waiting till E3 will be a good thing, I enjoyed the segmented annoucements the PS4 and Xbox One had.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I can't believe we don't have a gaffer shareholder on the phone already.

There's gonna be a direct in late March/early April detailing/unveiling MyNintendo for EU and North America, and after explaining what it's used for, Nintendo will tell us the name and give small details about the NX maybe a screen or two but we won't see more until E3

methodman

Banned
After the success of splatoon, I really hope Nintendo releases three or four big new IP games for the NX. 4 million for a brand new game is crazy on a console that sold 12.6 million.

Banned
I do wonder if waiting till E3 will be a good thing, I enjoyed the segmented annoucements the PS4 and Xbox One had.
No. It's horrible. That shit needs to be known going into E3. Save E3 for the games and pricing. Five months of hype for hardware is not enough for consoles.

maxcriden

They may not have known it at the time. And even if no full reveal comes till E3, I think we will get some conceptual details or reveal before then.

methodman

Banned
Another idea:

The portable NX plays the same games as the console version at 540p on the go. But... If you have both (let's say a 500 bundle or 200 and 350 respectively) you can use the portable as the processor for Nintendo Nx VR and you get their headset in the bundle.

thefro

It's hard to tell with Nintendo as to whether they're afraid of Sony/Microsoft counter-programming a NX announcement or really want to wait until E3.

They could drop an announcement about a NX briefing a few days before the event and get a big media turnout, so tactically there's no reason to tip their hand yet. Obviously Sony & Microsoft have copied stuff Nintendo has done in fairly short order as well, so protecting the gimmick may be another factor.

Hopefully the briefing brings some more clarity as to when we should expect something.

If they're really radio-slient until E3, the odds of the NX console getting a fairly well-supported launch from Western 3rd parties go way down. I would think stuff would be leaking out like crazy by March/April after people attend DICE and GDC and then get back and start chattering.

I do wonder if waiting till E3 will be a good thing, I enjoyed the segmented announcements the PS4 and Xbox One had.

I think a segmented announcement is definitely the way to go since you get to control the message and get media coverage all to yourself, while you still get big coverage at E3 for the actual hands-on and game announcements. That also allows 3rd parties to announce NX titles in the pre-E3 period. We'll see what Nintendo has learned.

bachikarn

What type of gimmick could Nintendo have that either MS or Sony could steal? They aren't planning on releasing a new system for awhile. So not sure how a couple of months would change much there. Unless they are worried about the Vita successor?

Banned
If Nintendo reveals this thing before E3 it'll allow devs to finally come out and admit they're making games for the platform which builds excitement and sends a message. Then E3 comes and you get the big blowout with more games, footage and playable demos on the show floor.

LordOfChaos

What type of gimmick could Nintendo have that either MS or Sony could steal? They aren't planning on releasing a new system for awhile. So not sure how a couple of months would change much there. Unless they are worried about the Vita successor?

PS Move and to a degree Kinect were obviously heavily influenced by the Wiis motion controls attracting a new audience. Mid-cycle is no issue for borrowing an idea.

Eradicate

Saw a couple tweets from our good friend Takashi.

He asked Kimishima directly about VR. Said he was interested as any game developer would be, but they are not planning anything in the near future for it. However, most analysts are expecting the NX to focus on AR instead. (This may be where smartphones come into play...or even possibly the handheld?)

He also expects the translated Q&A from the meeting to be uploaded soon by Nintendo for us to dig around in.

He asked Kimishima directly about VR. Said he was interested as any game developer would be, but they are not planning anything in the near future for it. However, most analysts are expecting the NX to focus on AR instead. (This may be where smartphones come into play...or even possibly the handheld?)

He also expects the translated Q&A from the meeting to be uploaded soon by Nintendo for us to dig around in.

Please no. AR?

Id rather they focus on great games shared across platforms with great features

The idea of an expansion of the PS4/Vita relationship of crossplay/buy but with stronger hardware excites me

recent tweets from mochizuki makes me actually confused. will there be another briefing + q&a today (it's already 3rd feb in japan) or not?

maxcriden

The Q&A hasn't happened yet though. It's in 10 hours....

Edit: maybe there's no full briefing and Q&A after all?

Edit 2: saw mpl's post below. Ok. Then I go back to my original confused response.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Please no. AR?

The idea of an expansion of the PS4/Vita relationship of crossplay/buy but with stronger hardware excites me

The had a patent for eye-tracking last year that included an AR helmet and glasses and presumably turned a 2D screen into 3D.

I was wondering about two things, not sure if someone has brought it up.
First of all, would it be possible and feasible to downport multiplatform console games to the NX handheld? If the handheld supported UE4 (or at least the mobile version) could one port it to the console NX and transfer the assets to the portable downgrading them to run well enough?
For example, take DQ 11. If the port to NX does happen, I'd imagine SE would love for it to be on the portable as well.
Being turn based you wouldn't need it to run particularly well.
Would be interesting to see them try it. Would likely be more successful than their Hyrule Warriors attempt.
My second topic is the possibility of 3DS emulation on the NX. I don't think BC will return for either device, Nintendo likely leveraging the Wii U's library via remasters, but I'm not sure about the 3DS's I'm not sure. There are a lot of 3DS games and I'm not sure most of them are worthy of a full remaster or a retail re-release.
So I wonder if 3DS BC is possible. I think it could work, not sure if emulating 3DS would be more intensive than GCN, but it seems doable on the console at least.
Though I'd like to see it perform at a higher resolution and I think a lot of people would be willing to double dip, they didn't do anything like that for DS or N64 so I'm not too sure they will.
I believe this would be the best way to leverage the 3DS's large library.

Eradicate

Please no. AR?

Well, I think that they could have the shared library of games still. But, imagine that you have a special smartphone app that you can access. From there, you can play different small AR games, find other friends (or strangers nearby to strike up a conversation) that have games you have, etc. Those small AR games could be as simple as a "coin collection" thing where they plant coins all around that you can collect that add up to special content for Mario NX. Just a quick idea of how AR can tie in but not be the console's "selling feature." But, it would get people talking for sure if your going around hunting for virtual coins. Everyone will know what the NX is then!

The Q&A hasn't happened yet though. It's in 10 hours....

I think things are getting confused. At the end of the meeting there seems to have been a brief Q&A period but NOT the full briefing + Q&A period happening later.

(It's easy to get confused when your dealing with things happening across the world! I had to check in on that myself.)

Well, I think that they could have the shared library of games still. But, imagine that you have a special smartphone app that you can access. From there, you can play different small AR games, find other friends (or strangers nearby to strike up a conversation) that have games you have, etc. Those small AR games could be as simple as a "coin collection" thing where they plant coins all around that you can collect that add up to special content for Mario NX. Just a quick idea of how AR can tie in but not be the console's "selling feature." But, it would get people talking for sure if your going around hunting for virtual coins. Everyone will know what the NX is then!

I think things are getting confused. At the end of the meeting there seems to have been a brief Q&A period but NOT the full briefing + Q&A period happening later.

(It's easy to get confused when your dealing with things happening across the world! I had to check in on that myself.)

Synergy does seem to be the name of the game for new Nintendo

I actually pretty excited to see what their new gameplan is in its entirety

So many options to tie their ecosystem together in compelling fashion

some questions

Well to answer the first one it depends entirely on the game. Like if by some miracle the NX got Cyberpunk 2077 ported to it, I doubt CD project red could even do a handheld version on the most powerful of current hardware, but smaller games like rocket league or even cod could be possible. Also 3DS backwards compatibility would be 100% possible if they used ARM, but that doesn't mean they'd implement it.

I think a huge issue is not just being secretive for the sake of avoiding competitors copying, but being secretive to the point of causing utter mass confusion.

We still have no real indication what the hell this thing even is. Nintendo still hasn't even confirmed if it's a console, handheld, one of each under an umbrella, etc.

I know they'd want to make sure they get the unveiling just right to avoid an E3 2011 2.0, but this is getting out of hand where they're doing more harm than good doing things this way. Tell us when you'll announce it (E3, earlier, etc) and just try to settle things.

That's my issue with all this. I mean I made this thread to try and do their job for them! :p But sadly I STILL see people thinking it's going to be a hybrid (actually the main bit that pushed the thread in the first place).

I'm glad I was able to help in anyway I could, and of course I need to give thanks again for Neoxon and the others who helped pass on info to me before and after the thread was made.

Hopefully we'll know some concrete info soon enough. :)

Im fairly convinced its two devices that will being i unified harmony on their new platform ecosystem that will include mobile devices and lots of crossover

How it should be. Basically how Sony/MS/Apple/Google/Steam have been delivering content for years now

It sounds exciting but the lack of details is starting to get to people

Banned
I think a huge issue is not just being secretive for the sake of avoiding competitors copying, but being secretive to the point of causing utter mass confusion.

We still have no real indication what the hell this thing even is. Nintendo still hasn't even confirmed if it's a console, handheld, one of each under an umbrella, etc.

I know they'd want to make sure they get the unveiling just right to avoid an E3 2011 2.0, but this is getting out of hand where they're doing more harm than good doing things this way. Tell us when you'll announce it (E3, earlier, etc) and just try to settle things.

That's my issue with all this. I mean I made this thread to try and do their job for them! :p But sadly I STILL see people thinking it's going to be a hybrid (actually the main bit that pushed the thread in the first place).

I'm glad I was able to help in anyway I could, and of course I need to give thanks again for Neoxon and the others who helped pass on info to me before and after the thread was made.

Right. If Nintendo never dropped the NX name and we were hearing rumours that Nintendo was working on a next gen version of their hardware we wouldn't be doing this because it would be unofficial and just assume "well yeah everyone works on successors". But Nintendo shot themselves in the foot when they announced the NX and now it's building mass hype and hysteria despite them not saying anything yet.

It'll create unrealistic expectations for E3 if they wait that long.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

By 'mass confusion', you mean a few people on GAF right? The vast, vast majority of people have no idea Nintendo even has a new machine coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom