• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Hermii

I feel like I should ban myself from following NX threads that are not new pieces of news. I get caught up in discussing the same things and I feel like I've made the same points so many times.

The big thing that will make me happy with the NX (as a big devotee of dedicated handhelds) is simply dual analogue controls w buttons of some sort, 540p + and decent graphics. That's all I really need.
I say chances are you will be happy with NX handheld then. At the rate mobile tech is advancing graphics are sure to be decent, 540p is reasonable, and dual analogue is likely if it's tightly integrated with the home console.

Hmmm...If it were just a standard home console and TEPD is, indeed, preparing a new 3D Mario for 2016--I wouldn't be disappointed. If it is just a standard handheld and that Mario is instead of '3D World,' '3D Land,' I'd be somewhat disappointed.

That said, while I'm not entirely sure the 'shared platform, two devices' will lead to much more than somewhat better sales and better customer satisfaction, I do really want Nintendo to do something bold and attempt to find a solution for getting somewhat beyond the corner they have found themselves in with Wii U/3DS. Basically, I'd love proof of the future but as a gamer 'more-of-the-same' wouldn't be too bad.

IDK the bigger Nintendo's future the bigger chance we have of a wealth of new and returning content. I want a new Nintendo golden age as much as the next gamer (well those that aren't anti-fans, of which Nintendo has plenty, or indifferent). So it is a big concern of mine, but in the short term I'd be able to settle for just simple refreshes.
I think you underestimate how much a well supported Nintendo console/handheld will perform. With a shared library this opens up development significantly. No longer do they have to release two versions of each franchise and spend years in development constantly rotating between making console and handheld sequels to the same franchises. Even though Wii Sports was a killer app, the Wii would not have been nearly as huge if it wasn't so well supported in its first few years. Look at its release schedule for NA:
Wii Sports (launch, 82.69 million)
TP (Launch, 7.26 million)
Rayman raving rabbids (launch, 1.2 million)
Red Steel (launch, 1 million)
Wii Play (Feb 07, 28.02 million)
Super Paper Mario (April 07, 4.23 million)
MP8 (May 07, 8.85 million)
RE4:Wii (June 07, 2 million)
Big Brain Academy (June 07, 3.79 million)
Pokemon Battle Revolution (1.2 million)
Mario Strikers Charged (July 07, 1.77 million)
Metroid Prime 3 (August 07, 1.4 million)
GH3 (October 07, 2 million)
SMG (Nov 07, 12.50 million)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games(Nov 07, 7.09 million)
Link's Crossbow training (Nov 07, 5.79 million)
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Nov 07, 1.3 million)

This was from their first year alone and look at how many million sellers they released. Nintendo could probably release a game that sells over a million once every month or two on NX for the first year at the very least.

I think it's fairly safe to assume at this stage that AMD will be involved in at least one of the NX devices.

For sure.

Here's another link about the APU from 7 months ago.
http://wccftech.com/amd-making-processor-nintendo-nx/

his time around is also quite different for Nintendo. The company’s last design with the Wii U was actually not a semi-custom one. Rather it was based on two embedded processors one from IBM and one from AMD A small PowerPC CPU and a separate graphics chip from AMD, both of which were standard embedded products. This time Nintendo can have a tailor made semi-custom chip setup just the way it wants and can even integrate some of its very own IP blocks.

What does this mean?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
For sure.

What does this mean?

It would mean that Nintendo themselves could design custom functions and integrate them into the chip. However, that article seems fishy to me. The Wii U's MCM is not built from "standard embedded products." Both the CPU and GPU seem to have been custom jobs based on IP from IBM (PowerPC 750) and AMD (GPU). They are certainly not off-the-shelf parts. Nintendo already had custom IP in that chip.

The_Lump

Banned
The truth is out there.

5edmtsF.jpg

Holy flip. Nighttime ruined.

Snakeyes

I think you underestimate how much a well supported Nintendo console/handheld will perform. With a shared library this opens up development significantly. No longer do they have to release two versions of each franchise and spend years in development constantly rotating between making console and handheld sequels to the same franchises. Even though Wii Sports was a killer app, the Wii would not have been nearly as huge if it wasn't so well supported in its first few years. Look at its release schedule for NA:

This was from their first year alone and look at how many million sellers they released. Nintendo could probably release a game that sells over a million once every month or two on NX for the first year at the very least.
Are you really listing stuff like Red Steel, Link's Crossbow Training and Wii Play as an example of good support?

Are you really listing stuff like Red Steel, Link's Crossbow Training and Wii Play as an example of good support?

yeah i mean it's not like anyone even bought those games

if i said that strong support = products that people actually want to buy, would I be wrong?

6 million, 28 million, man, those numbers are shit

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'll make the briefing thread once we get close to it, unless someone has already claimed it.

I think we can all agree that Nintendo consistently delivers in the game quality

Hardware, System OS, and Account has gotten in the way

All signs are pointing to a course correction in these crucial areas BUT seeing is believing

People have been burned by Nintendo's antics enough times to know that even when they are SAYING all the right things it doesnt always mean they will execute

So this perfect storm of what we already know combined with the current silence and mystery is driving the internet INSANE

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
For sure.

What does this mean?
It means the author of the articled does not quite know what 'semi-custom' means. All nintendo devices this far have been semi-custom to varying degrees, some of them verily so. Oh, you mean 'nintendo's own IP'? Nintendo are not a semiconductor IP house, but they've never been shy of adding their own bits and pieces. Wasn't the sound DSP in the cube (along with the A-RAM) an in-house design?

I think we can all agree that Nintendo consistently delivers in the game quality

Hardware, System OS, and Account has gotten in the way

All signs are pointing to a course correction in these crucial areas BUT seeing is believing

People have been burned by Nintendo's antics enough times to know that even when they are SAYING all the right things it doesnt always mean they will execute

So this perfect storm of what we already know combined with the current silence and mystery is driving the internet INSANE

Eeeeeeh. :/
I beg to differ and it's my main worry for the NX. I think NX success lies in the combination of accessible, decent hardware, with platform agnostic quality software. Basically:
100% shared library between handheld and console or even more form factors... but a library of great games, unlike Wii U.

Eeeeeeh. :/
I beg to differ and it's my main worry for the NX. I think NX success lies in the combination of accessible, decent hardware, with platform agnostic quality software. Basically:
100% shared library between handheld and console or even more form factors... but a library of great games, unlike Wii U.

Despite my Disdain for the WiiU hardware it did give quite a few standouts IMHO but I totally get where you are coming from

And yes with what they are saying now its looking a LOT like Sony currently operates minus actually supporting their Handheld to the degree we would expect Nintendo to

Sadist

While Red Steel didn't turn out as well as many as hoped, it was one of the premiere Wii launch titles and it showed that people were interested in the genre on the system. Sadly, only Activision kept publushing CoD on Wii. Well and Ubisoft with Red Steel 2, but that game took way too long in development.

I can't believe gaf is hyping a fucking investors briefing. Have we ever been this crazy before?
We've seen weirder. The WUST thread were insane.

The_Lump

Banned
Why is the hype for Nintendo things so strong? I don't see this happening with Sony or Microsoft with such intensity.

I think a lot of it stems from past disappointment.

And the Hype leads to inflated hopes and inevitably, more disappointment...

It's a cycle. A vicious, wonderful, terrible cycle.

If they make

A Monster Hunter X NX special edition portable

They got me by the balls

Plus we might get portable smash without dick controls

jahasaja

I hope and stupidly believe you are right. I expect Zelda, 3D Mario, animal crossing, retros next game and maybe a Pokemon all in the first 12 months.

If that would happen and the machine still does not sell we know for sure that Nintendo's glory days are in the past.

Edit: And yeah MHX for the western launch of the system.

I hope and stupidly believe you are right. I expect Zelda, 3D Mario, animal crossing, retros next game and maybe a Pokemon all in the first 12 months.

If that would happen and the machine still does not sell we know for sure that Nintendo's glory days are in the past.

Its almost too perfect

Even though the new system will not be called NX lol

Griss

Why is the hype for Nintendo things so strong? I don't see this happening with Sony or Microsoft with such intensity.

It's because Nintendo is struggling so badly. It makes fans like me more desperate to see them succeed.

When Nintendo were flying with the Wii and DS, my hype levels for events were far, far lower. Now, though, the stakes have been raised.

TheJoRu

Nintendo is unpredictable. Sony and Microsoft aren't, in my opinion. Doesn't mean Nintendo is better, but I think they're a lot more fun to follow.

Oh it does, but their hype is accepted as the norm while when people get hyped for Nintendo their is the question of why they are hyped on the other hand PS/XB fans can be hyped about anything they want. Nintendo is usually trampled by people who calls themselves "real gamers" so when the hype train pulls into Nintendo's station people can't understand why.....

Just my two cents, I don't know fully maybe people see a better industry with Nintendo than without them that's why I get hyped.

And the fact that Nintendo is at their best when they are in sticky situations.

AzaK

I am not sure hype can be a bad thing in this case.

The nerds who visit this thread will probably buy it regardless.

Right now the NX has buzz without nintendo lifting a finger. You never know what they will do which makes it so exciting.

What buzz? A couple of speculative articles, a few tweets and gaming website posts. Seriously there is zero buzz for it when you look at the potential market as a whole.

The buzz will start (If at all) when Nintendo actually shows the thing and tries to explain why we want it. That's the sort of buzz that will be positive (assuming it's a good device). At the moment, it's negative. We had WAY more buzz than this with Wii U and that really hurt the thing because when we finally realised what it actually was, depression ensued.

I also don't believe that the leak-silence is NDA related - I am assuming it's due to so few people actually having the thing. It's not even been 4 years since Wii U launched. Nintendo had to come up with a completely new concept, start designing the machine(s), the OS, the infrastructure to support this new concept and work on their DeNA partnership, manage Amiibo, sell Wii U and 3DS, merge their divisions and change their work paradigm all in this time. It would not surprise me if the thing is not really ready to give out to many people, nor show or talk about. My bet is on E3 before we get any information.

Remember last time they did a 4 year cycle, they basically just had to grab their old hardware and duct tape it together.
yeah yeah I know

Trago

I hope that when they do reveal details about NX they elaborate on the supplemental computing devices for the console, and if we'll get a chance to buy any at launch.

I can't imagine how they would market that.

"Buy this GPU in a box to make your games potentially look and run better!"

jblank83

Nintendo is one of the most historied and accomplished developers/producers in video gaming. They've been making games and hardware since the 1970s, the longest of any major company in the industry's history. They have genre defining titles all the way back to Donkey Kong in 1981. They've set and defined hardware standards. Several of their systems are among the most influential in video game history, from NES to DS to Wii. Despite criticism to the contrary and people who write them off as just making "Nintendo" games, they continue to put out extremely high quality games across a wide range of genres. For instance, they've recently put out one of the most impressive RPGs in years (Xenoblade) while other RPG devs in Japan have dragged their feet.

So, why wouldn't people be excited to hear what Nintendo has planned for their next hardware platform/s?

maxcriden

Besides Smash and maybe Zelda or Splatoon, I think we'll get more Gamecube "remasters" on NX. That's just me being wishful, though. We had Super Mario Sunshine HD rumors that never amounted to anything and I think there's no better time than now. Also can you imagine Sunshine HD crossbuy and being able to play it on the go?

I'm trying not to imagine it. 😨 what a terrible waste of resources that might be to bring the game up to 3D Mario par instead if making a new one.

AzaK

I hope that when they do reveal details about NX they elaborate on the supplemental computing devices for the console, and if we'll get a chance to buy any at launch.

I can't imagine how they would market that.

"Buy this GPU in a box to make your games potentially look and run better!"

I can see them doing something like

"NX experience" - primary unit and controller
"NX Elite" - primary, scd and controller

Which introduces the concept of varying tiers of hardware. Then say "Then take your gaming to the next level with the NX extreeeeeme" or some shit like that. This is assuming they go for just the physically connected SCDs for now.

I'm trying not to imagine it. 😨 what a terrible waste of resources that might be to bring the game up to 3D Mario par instead if making a new one.

Omg the same argument that we had during the PS4 launch window?

There is no reason not to have a robust mix of everything

Or hell completely consolidate the Back Catalog into one place on the new digital platform

Have the Virtual Console actually be a cohesive thing this time around.

Banned
Guys they said it's a dedicated platform, not console. It's a storefront to sell games, confirmed. That's how it'll work on rival consoles. It's nintendos steam. Matt lied to us. That's why there are no dev kits. Everyone sit down the thread.

Doctre81

Guys they said it's a dedicated platform, not console. It's a storefront to sell games, confirmed. That's how it'll work on rival consoles. It's nintendos steam. Matt lied to us. That's why there are no dev kits. Everyone sit down the thread.

They used the term "dedicated platform" to show that it was not a cell phone but an actual gaming system.

Diffense

Rösti;194052416 said:
I'll make the briefing thread once we get close to it, unless someone has already claimed it.

I know someone posted a countdown but I can't find it. It's in about 2 hours right?

Eradicate

I've got so many tabs open refreshing them for news and tidbits that it's getting absurd.

Rösti;194052416 said:

That would be great! I look forward to it.

They used the term "dedicated platform" to show that it was not a cell phone but an actual gaming system.

It's going to be a cell phone?!

I realized what I can do in the meantime!!!

I'll just buy Wii U games now when on sale so if the NX is BC, Boom I got the games....

But if it isn't, then I can grab a Wii U for pennies!!!

Should be a fool proof plan.... But now I have to wait on buying Smash...

maxcriden

I say chances are you will be happy with NX handheld then. At the rate mobile tech is advancing graphics are sure to be decent, 540p is reasonable, and dual analogue is likely if it's tightly integrated with the home console.

The only caveat I would add here is that I think Nintendo offering dual analogs that stick out significantly are unlikely. I expect a circle pad or a similar pad to that in the recent touchscreen mockup in the patent. The one Nintendo's new mascot Action T. Figure.

I like your optimism but I'm skeptical Nintendo is willing to release a lot of games throughout the year. I hope if HH and console are one and the same Nintendo becomes a lot less worried about releasing too many games in a brief period of time and maybe chills on not releasing games in January or July. Because I'm concerned they don't recognize well enough that their games are going to sell really well for the most part regardless and that if they are consolidating HH and console development it is going to feel like we are getting a lot fewer games if they are as concerned about releasing too many games close together as they have seemed to be in the past. If every game just says NX on it (for example), I don't think they need to be worried about gamss getting lost in the shuffle if they each represented a unique or singular experience with moderate to significant wide appeal. For example LBW and 3DW released on the same day. If both were playable on the same system I'd be concerned Nintendo wouldn't have done that. So I really just want to make sure consolidation doesn't mean significantly fewer games overall across HH and console.

Sometimes people are overhyped by a Nintendo scheduled maintenance.

I am part of this kind of people

As someone prone to hype over very little what's especially funny about maintenance hype is that I don't think almost ever has it resulted in anything concrete.

This is the thing, though. Even with those games I don't believe Wii U would have been significantly more of a success. We didn't get a console Pokémon (but as I think others will attest I suspect any upcoming NX mainline Pokémon game will be akin to a handheld game even if playable on console, because TPC has always focused on mainline Pokémon games being handheld experiences) and we don't have a new Zelda yet. Nor did we get an AC, though as with Pokémon above I think that's more of a handheld franchise (or it's become one over time).

That's not to say Pokémon or AC wouldn't sell well to those with an NX console also, just to say I'm not convinced they'll be playable on the NX console and further...even if a mainline Pokémon game was ported to Wii U and AC had a mainline entry and Zelda came out a bit earlier in the system's time on the market...I still believed many of the same issues would have plagued Wii U and even if it had sold a bit better, I don't think it would have sold exceptionally better. I think the presence and success of MK8, Smash and Splatoon prove that amazing entries of popular Nintendo games alone will not sell a system if the marketing, central gimmick, price, message, and name are confusing customers or not reaching or resonating with customers. NX will need a good gimmick (even playability across HH and console) and could really use third party support and as low a price as possible.

Omg the same argument that we had during the PS4 launch window?

There is no reason not to have a robust mix of everything

Or hell completely consolidate the Back Catalog into one place on the new digital platform

Have the Virtual Console actually be a cohesive thing this time around.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm only referring to Mario Sunshine in my post. I am a firm believer in the digitization of Nintendo's back catalog. There have been some missteps with their Wii U VC but they have mostly gotten it back on track pretty impressively. With SMS in particular I believe it would require a lot of retooling to be made into a game worthy of re-release and it was always a polarizing entry in the series. This is not an argument against remasters in general, which I'm cool with and happy to see provided it doesn't cut too much into new games.

I know someone posted a countdown but I can't find it. It's in about 2 hours right?

Unfortunately we still have four hours and twenty-seven minutes to go.

I'm not sure about Animal Crossing in the first 12 months because most of the AC team just completed AC:HHD, AC:AF and Splatoon. Pokemon may or may not make it as well. However I could see them releasing these within the first 12 months:

Wii Sports/Nintendoland team:
Have developed most of the Wii ____ titles and Nintendoland. They will probably have something at launch. Some of the team was working on Splatoon as well, if I recall correctly.

3D Mario- EAD Tokyo has been completing 3D Mario titles once every 2-3 years since Galaxy in 2006(they completed SMG2 in 2009, SM3DL-2011, SM3DW-2013). I could see them having 3D Mario as a launch title.

Mario Kart- Since Super Circuit released on the GBA in 2001, they've released a new Mario Kart every 2-3 years (SC-2001, DD-2003, DS-2005, Wii-2008, 7-2011, 8-2014). I expect Mario Kart to be released sometime in the NX's first 12 months.

Retro's new game- Another studio that has never taken more than 2-3 years to complete a game (MP-2002, MP2-2004, MP3-2007, MP:Trilogy-2009, DKCR-2010, DKC:TF was completed in 2013 but released in 2014). End of 2016 would be three years since TF was completed so I'd anticipate a new game from Retro sometime early in NX lifespan.

Zelda Wii U- I would be surprised if they didn't pull a TP and release Zelda on Wii U and NX.

Smash NX- I could see a Smash 4 port with the DLC and possibly some other additional content releasing on NX.

SMM NX- I don't think it'd be too difficult for them to get SMM on NX.

I'd expect other titles especially since they've been collaborating a lot with 3rd parties to develop titles.

jahasaja

What buzz? A couple of speculative articles, a few tweets and gaming website posts. Seriously there is zero buzz for it when you look at the potential market as a whole.

The buzz will start (If at all) when Nintendo actually shows the thing and tries to explain why we want it. That's the sort of buzz that will be positive (assuming it's a good device). At the moment, it's negative. We had WAY more buzz than this with Wii U and that really hurt the thing because when we finally realised what it actually was, depression ensued.

I also don't believe that the leak-silence is NDA related - I am assuming it's due to so few people actually having the thing. It's not even been 4 years since Wii U launched. Nintendo had to come up with a completely new concept, start designing the machine(s), the OS, the infrastructure to support this new concept and work on their DeNA partnership, manage Amiibo, sell Wii U and 3DS, merge their divisions and change their work paradigm all in this time. It would not surprise me if the thing is not really ready to give out to many people, nor show or talk about. My bet is on E3 before we get any information.

Remember last time they did a 4 year cycle, they basically just had to grab their old hardware and duct tape it together.
yeah yeah I know

Good points. My meaning was buzz among the hardcore.

I do not think it will have much third party support and I think Nintendo knows this which is why I have high hopes on the first party games.

As someone prone to hype over very little what's especially funny about maintenance hype is that I don't think almost ever has it resulted in anything concrete.

Yeah... But you know it will happen again late february early march, when they will be about to launch the MyNintendo stuff and a large maintenance will be announced.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the countdown again:

Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing

Time: February 3, 10.00 AM (JST) / February 2, 08.00 PM (EST)
Location: Unconfirmed, likely at the Osaka Securities Exchange

t1454461200z1.png

AzaK

Good points. My meaning was buzz among the hardcore.

I do not think it will have much third party support and I think Nintendo knows this which is why I have high hopes on the first party games.

I agree they won't have the third party support that I want (Western) so I'm not holding much hope for NX even though the idea of SCDs is very exciting.

Rösti;194061695 said:
Here's the countdown again:
Cool, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom