• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were some recent games that consumed your soul?

Hot5pur

I have been itching for a game that is going to absolutely consume me. Gaming is as good as it has ever been, but I don't have something that I'm always itching to play atm.
In the last few years I can think of a few games that consumed huge amounts of my time:

Street fighter 6
PAVbtqS.jpg

Wolcen
mFjEXde.jpg

Outriders
Jp0FyOz.jpg

And on the whole, I have been quite obsessed with this thing:
jHH5wMI.jpg

Still going strong since October, but no game in particular, just fascinated with this toy.

How about you, what have been some of your most memorable obsessions?

Ive been rather obsessed with the Quest 3 as well, finished half life alxy and am currently deep into Asgards Wrath 1; been playing Lego builders at night sitting in bed while the wife reads a book. Watch some netflix on a giant virtual screen, and back on the charger.

With my new PC I have been delving into the Epic Store free game library. Installed all 3 of the new Tomb Raider games, Ive never played through them.
Just installed Submerged and already think Ill try and finish it since it seems so quick and simple. I could have sworn I had played this already but I might be getting it confused with a similar game with a sunken city motif.

Jesb

Not necessarily recent games but recently just got into the GeForcenow service and picked up a shield device. So playing alot of stuff on steam and gamepass/eaplus. Hoping that this keeps getting better and better. I think I’ll make Alan Wake 2 my next purchase, actually playing through Alan wake again to get back into it.

MastAndo

I gave Lies of P a shot on a whim and actually ended up really enjoying it. The only other Souls-like I've ever gotten into is Elden Ring, but something clicked with this one in terms of fun factor and I was pretty engrossed in it during my playthrough.

A few bosses gave me trouble and consumed me for hours at a time, in particular the final boss that I needed a few lengthy play sessions over the span of a few days to eventually beat. I'm surprised I stuck with it as it initially felt hopeless, but eventually I found a strategy and build that worked after spending way too much time with it.

Edmund

Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8.

Really great games and it's such a great time to be a fighting game fan!!

I'm in a weird slump. I keep trying games that are objectively good but just don't really GRAB me. I play them half-heartedly and eventually fall off somewhere halfway through or so.

My ass probably needs a bit of a gaming break overall by the sound of it.

Baldur's Gate 3, without question. I'm obsessed.

Before that, it was Marvel's Midnight Suns, Yoku's Island Express (I love both pinball and platformers, so yeah), Superhot VR, and Spider-man. Those were the last games I can remember thinking about even when I wasn't playing them, anyway.

The last couple of gens have been a little dry for me, but if there are still games I fixate on even in my 40s, that probably means this hobby still resonates with me on some level, at least.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Not talking about the full game but Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty's main story quests pretty much consumed me. Phantom Liberty also enables another ending to the main game story. I played that ending and died a little inside, seeing what happens to V. He/She basically
becomes an NPC.

After that i started a PC playthrough of God of War. There are 3 quests in that game that enthrall me every damn time.
First - The whole sequence in Alfheim. Bringing up the runes from the water. Crossing the chasm to the main door. Then getting inside and fighting your way towards the light. Then exiting. The whole thing takes place in such beatiful environments and set pieces. And the flying dark elves are fun to fight.
Second - Going into Tyr's vault after curing Atreus's illness. Tyr's Vault is visually and environmentally one of the best AAA video game levels i have ever been through. And on a powerful PC, it is mesmerizing.
Third - The entire endgame sequence of
flipping the realm travel temple -> jumping off the path in the realm between realms -> finding the Jotunheim tower -> raising it back up to the lake of nine -> going into Jormungandr's belly to find Mimir's second eye -> the final fight with Baldur -> finally going to Jotunheim and seeing the wall of prophecy and the giant bodies on the landscape.
I could play this sequence again & again 200 times before getting bored of it.

Last edited:

iclash

Diablo III - got back into it after feeling bored with DIV. Vampire Survivors is another one that causes me to go down the rabbit hole of unlocking testing and checking off boxes.

I'm in a weird slump. I keep trying games that are objectively good but just don't really GRAB me. I play them half-heartedly and eventually fall off somewhere halfway through or so.

My ass probably needs a bit of a gaming break overall by the sound of it.

Same thing happens to me. I don’t even get halfway through though. I get like an hour in and drop it.

Hrk69

Street Fighter 6 for sure

I'm 100% new to fighting games and it's so cool to see the progress

Plus Elden Ring. I finally got all achievements and I'm sad it's over. Can't wait for the DLC baby

Oh and Infinite Wealth. Almost 100% done

unlurkified

Games I played through last year? GoW: Ragnarok, RDR2, RE4 Remake, TLOU2, and Horizon: FW+DLC.

Of the last few years? Returnal, Days Gone (fav Sony game), Elden Ring.

kyussman

Death Stranding,was hooked from the first trailer....played it solid every day from launch for a month,over 160hrs,loved every minute.....kind of ruined gaming for me actually(not joking),games didn't quite feel the same after that and I've been on a break for nearly three years now,disillusioned with this gen....still love the medium but turned off by the state of it,at least Death Stranding 2 is coming.

IAmRei

Last year i went with souls and elden ring. And nowadays i'm playing dragon quest, 9 and 11 recently. Also i have my eyes on pokemon sword shield and brilliant. I guess i'm craving at rpg but in slower pace.

But i think it will be changed once Dragon's dogma 2 arrives. I played the first faithfully, love every bit of it. Maybe kind of obsessed with that game. I dont recall how long i played that game, i finished so many time in that game. Also reminds me to metroid, at least one game of the series, is finished once per year.

I also find monster hunter rise, made my time back before. Spent hundred of playtime there.

Now i will think how i can split my time because i want to experience yakuza series as well

Reactions: Isa

Deerock71

It's not recent but it's new to me. I picked up .Hack//recode something-or-other (4 games for 9.99 on an eshop sale), and I'm simply blown away by the voice acting and music! Plus, they really seemed to capture the essence of an MMORPG in single player format. And it all feels like I'm watching an anime! Plus all the fourth wall warping is the best way I can describe it. A brilliant game!

Hmm... in the past 12 months I'd say quite a few:
  • Zelda TotK (Switch)
  • Astral Chain (Switch)
  • AI: The Somnium Files (Switch)
  • Diablo 4 (PS5)
  • Remnant II (PS5)
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (Series X)
  • Octopath Traveler II (PS5)

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not consumed my soul, but I’ve absolutely LOVED Dead Island 2, and will continue playing despite finishing the campaign.

Can’t say that about most games.

Hohenheim

So far this year:
Bramble, The forgotten City and Tyranny.
Playing SOMA now, and really enjoying that too.

But if i'd pick one of of these: The Forgotten World. Pretty unique game. Very cool.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Compound (Quest 3)

It’s got its hooks in me pretty bad. Just one more run. I have said far too many times when trying to put it down and play something else.

Sethbacca

I was mildly obsessed with Hades for about a month not too long ago. I'm currently LTTP playing Dragon Quest 11 while I wait for FF7 Rebirth (which is pretty great so far).

Last edited:

Interfectum

I hate to admit it but I'm fucking all in on GranBlue Fantasy Relink. This game is addicting as fuck... I love it. I know nothing about the anime or anything else about the series.

killatopak

Elden Ring consumed it, digested it, shit it out on the soil, fertilized on the plants which got eaten by animals then caught to be served again in front of Elden Ring in a silver platter.

Last edited:

Pelao

More recently, I would say Palworld. I still play it a little bit every day.
In the last year it was mainly Tears of the Kingdom and somehow still Gran Turismo 7 and Flight Simulator.
Just checked and I have more than 300 hours in Flight Simulator and only four achievements. :messenger_tears_of_joy: No, Microsoft, I'm not doing your dumb missions, I just want to fly.

Last edited:

simpatico

Diablo IV. I fell for the meme that it's a bad game. Because the people who wanted to spend 1,000 hours grinding for the best roll on the best weapon wanted the numbers at the very end to be slightly different. But for me, a guy who just wants to play the game like a regular RPG, it's fucking awesome. My GOTY of last year. I can't recommend it enough to people who just want to get 100hrs out of doing the campaign with a couple classes. The combat is ace and the differences between classes really make each run a unique experience. Played a Druid first. Now I'm about 35% the way through as a Necro and I'm already excited about the next run as a Barb.

Don't fall for the meme people. If you're not someone who grinds endgame content to squeeze out that last "+3% weapon handling" out of a roll, it's a great game. I don't know enough about what makes and "endgame" good or bad to even comment on it. I enjoyed Destiny 2 and The Division the same way. Just got my 50 hours in, enjoyed it and rolled out. I'd say Diablo IV easily smokes both of those in my book, and I thought really highly of those games as well.

Thematically it's more horror than fantasy, and the map is absolutely beautiful. You won't find a better looking isometric RPG. In quality or art direction. Just nailed that aspect of it. Performance is fantastic as well. I'm on a 1080 with an old Intel 6700k and I'm getting over 100fps on high at 1080p.

Last edited:

LordNerevar76

Neo Member
Been bouncing around a little - played Palworld intensely, shelved it after getting burned out, then got on a Xenoblade kick again after hearing some of its music (did some post game stuff in xb1 and started new game+). Got distracted and started xenogears (never played it), loving it so far.

However now with ff7 rebirth so close, grabbed crisis core reunion as I had never played crisis core and I'm also enjoying that. Hopefully I'll finish that up and the short intermission dlc for ff7r, then jump into rebirth on launch day 😁.

Top Bottom