• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were your favorite UMS maps from the Brood War/Warcraft 3 era of Bnet?

Oh man so glad I found this thread. Custom Maps were my jam and the big reason why Frozen Throne is my GOAT.

• Mauls and Tower Defenses. I loved them all, even the shitty/impossible ones. WinterMaul Wars and variants were awesome too.
  • Footman Frenzy and variants were classics.
  • Uther Party was really fun too.
  • DBZ Tribute. Man that shit was fun. Last time I checked pretty much every game was hosted by bots and was like "NARUTO WARS!" or "ONE PIECE VS BLEACH!" Really those games were actually a surprising amount of fun. DBZ especially had some awesome ones (DBZ Saga kicked ass)
  • Zombie survival games like Raccoon City. That shit was hardcore. 1 life, you die, you're out.
  • Lots of RPGs (Video Game RPG I'm looking at you you 6 hour long son of a bitch) and the RP maps were pretty fun too.
  • Pre-School wars, I think it was called. You built buildings that automatically sent enemies to the other side, like a team based TD. Eventually the map would be flooded and computers would crash but SHIT WAS FUN
  • Whodunnits like Dark Deeds, the Vampire and Werewolf games, Mafia...
  • Angel Arena was ridiculous but fun.
  • LOAP and variants were really fun too.
  • Azeroth Wars was awesome. I think that was the one where everyone picked lore-based factions on the Azeroth map and tried to capture strategic points? It was cool as hell.

It sucks hard what happened with SCII, but restricting owned IPs like LOTR or DBZ pretty much killed that instantly. A lot of the most popular non-DOTA maps were DBZ, LOTR, Naruto, I remember some Harry Potter ones, Matrix...really reflective of the time WCIII came out.

Matriox

It wasn't very creative, but I played a bit of Cat and Mouse, Turret and lurker defence, and some DragonBall z Rpg

fedexpeon

Banned
It wasn't very creative, but I played a bit of Cat and Mouse, Turret and lurker defence, and some DragonBall z Rpg

Awww shiiiiit.
I forgot about Cat and Mouse.
That game was intense!

The Thing or was it Infested? The game where no one knew who was the infested one and everyone was split up in the ship.

The Thing or was it Infested? The game where no one knew who was the infested one and everyone was split up in the ship.

Those maps were great. I think that one was called Parasite II, the one I played the most. Tons of crazy shit could happen, someone could blow up a bomb inside the ship and cause oxygen leaks, the kinda neutral A.I. could fuck things up with oxygen or heat because he would live, the Alien would slowly evolve, the ship would randomly have to dodge black holes or solar storms...really cool.

The Llama

I can't even read the OP without tearing up from nostalgia. When I was like 10-14 years old I used to wake up at 8am on weekends and play UMS for hours and hours.

Oh geeze, custom maps on WC3 was my childhood until WoW came out (and even then I sometimes went back and re-installed occasionally).

Aside from DotA Allstars (of course, this map spammed the entire search list to the anger of many, myself included (ironic since I'm now a big player/fan of Dota 2)), there were:

Angel Arena/Heaven vs Hell
Mauls (ie Wintermaul and the like)
Azeroth Wars
Lordaeron Tactics
Tree Tag/Pest Invasion/Kodo Tag
Curse of Time ORPG
Defiance ORPG
The Black Road ORPG
Line Tower Wars
Hero Line Wars
Real Life/Life of a Peasant/etc.
Ring Wars
Uther Party
...the list goes on

Sadly SC2 didn't recreate the same community due to the Blizzard fuckery in design and other factors, god damn I miss this game. It was like multiple/dozens/hundreds of games/maps packed into one.

funkypie

Banned
That sounds pretty cool. Was it Starcraft or Warcraft?

warcraft 3 mod. the chosen player, played like any other, had to build a farm/base and pretend he wasn't evil. apart from wearwolf, you could turn into your alter ego at any point and go rek early.

what are warcraft 3 TFT custom games like these days? I personally want a warcraft 4 just for the custom games.

warcraft 3 mod. the chosen player, played like any other, had to build a farm/base and pretend he wasn't evil. apart from wearwolf, you could turn into your alter ego at any point and go rek early.

what are warcraft 3 TFT custom games like these days? I personally want a warcraft 4 just for the custom games.

Bots hosting DOTA and Naruto games last time I was playing (a year or two ago.) It's pretty much all bots hosting games.

There was this amazing map called "House on Haunted Hill" (or something similar) that for whatever reason, no one could ever join me in. It was creepy as hell, you could only see a certain area of where your character was, ton of traps and puzzles. Just an amazing map that I only played a few times.

ScOULaris

I can't even read the OP without tearing up from nostalgia. When I was like 10-14 years old I used to wake up at 8am on weekends and play UMS for hours and hours.
I know, man. It's not the same, but you can do what I'm doing and hop back on US East to keep what's left of the UMS community alive. I find that people join my games pretty quickly, even now. It's not very hard at all to get full games going for good maps.

The Llama

I know, man. It's not the same, but you can do what I'm doing and hop back on US East to keep what's left of the UMS community alive. I find that people join my games pretty quickly, even now. It's not very hard at all to get full games going for good maps.

I actually did that like three days ago, coincidentally. Such a shame to see what its like now, though.

I wish another game came out to recreate the community and fun that was WC3 and Brood War, it could be a potential Warcraft 4 but Blizzard needs to not fuck it up.

Steel

Banned
I wish another game came out to recreate the community and fun that was WC3 and Brood War, it could be a potential Warcraft 4 but Blizzard needs to not fuck it up.

Agreed. I honestly don't see how blizzard couldn't see their mistake with Starcraft 2 custom games. They just need to go back to warcraft III style custom maps.

That being said, they don't seem to have any intention of making Warcraft IV with the way they've been using the IP for everything else...

Agreed. I honestly don't see how blizzard couldn't see their mistake with Starcraft 2 custom games. They just need to go back to warcraft III style custom maps.

That being said, they don't seem to have any intention of making Warcraft IV with the way they've been using the IP for everything else...

If I recall the devs Blizzard hired to design BNet 2.0 were tasked to design it similarly to X-Box Live, god what a horrid mistake.

I don't see Blizzard making another RTS anytime soon after StarCraft II.

If the Dota 2 modding thing takes off that will probably be the second coming of custom games.

Moonlight

Banned
  • Azeroth Wars was awesome. I think that was the one where everyone picked lore-based factions on the Azeroth map and tried to capture strategic points? It was cool as hell.
Definitely the coolest custom map in WC3 as far as I'm concerned. It honestly blew my mind how much it accounted for - when you got conquered as the High Elves by the Undead and got the Fountain poisoned, then respawned as the Blood Elves, that was fucking awesome. Just... so many cool things and details in that game. The attention to detail was immaculate, and it got even better when it got into 'what if' territory.

...god, I miss WC3 UMS so much. Probably too much to jump into B.net these days and expect a full room of Azeroth Wars again, if there's any room at all. :(

Definitely the coolest custom map in WC3 as far as I'm concerned. It honestly blew my mind how much it accounted for - when you got conquered as the High Elves by the Undead and got the Fountain poisoned, then respawned as the Blood Elves, that was fucking awesome. Just... so many cool things and details in that game. The attention to detail was immaculate, and it got even better when it got into 'what if' territory.

...god, I miss WC3 UMS so much. Probably too much to jump into B.net these days and expect a full room of Azeroth Wars again, if there's any room at all. :(

Seriously, similar games like Lordaeron Tactics and Dark Ages of Warcraft incorporated lore so well plus spinning it off to their own thing. I swear that these creators could've done Warcraft lore so much better than what Metzen and crew are doing in WoW.

Edit: Actually thinking of purchasing WC3 and TFT (both for $20) and get back in (lost my original discs and cd keys), if the community is there at all. Does anyone that still play (or can play) know?

funkypie

Banned

whats so bad about SC2 custom games? never played it.

ScOULaris

whats so bad about SC2 custom games? never played it.

Well, the scene just never really took off for the following reasons.

• The map editor was nowhere near as user-friendly as it was in Brood War, so most people just got frustrated early on.
  • The Arcade is set up in a way that only encourages people to hop into game sessions for the Top 5-10 custom maps in terms of popularity. If your map isn't at the top, good luck ever getting anybody to join.
  • Blizzard forbid the use of existing IP's in custom maps in SC2, thereby wiping out a huge part of what made the old UMS scene thrive. No longer could mapmakers use properties like DBZ, LotR, Starship Troopers, Raccoon City... etc.
I was so excited for StarCraft 2's release because I thought for sure it'd usher in a whole new era of custom maps. To say that I'm gutted by how things turned out is an understatement, and it kind of made me hate Blizzard altogether.

Spectah

Neo Member
Team survival games in WC3 were my favorite. I could play Enfos or Fuzas team survival maps all day.

I stuck mostly to sunken td or rpg maps in SC UMS games.

I loved Lurker/Sunken Defense games in StarCraft. Also played a lot of the paintball and Starship Troopers maps as well. In Warcraft III I mostly just dabbled in Enfos, never did much beyond that.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I liked wintermauls quite a bit. This thread makes me sad, B.net 2.0 is such a god damn fucking failure. Both SC2 and Diablo 3's in-game social infrastructures are so shitty and neutered compared to what they once were, all because Blizzard wanted to chase some sterlized xbox-live style esports paradigm that no one wanted.

Arkeband

Banned
I came in here to post something obscure to give myself gamer cred, but OP has apparently played every goddamn map in existence.

1v1 me mid, OP.

ScOULaris

Man, I loved playing Snipers on Starcraft. I played that shit for years.

Old BNet had the best UMS maps
Snipers was my life for a while. I was in a league and everything. You can still find people playing Snipers Bald Locks on Bnet pretty regularly even today.

Drinkel

Murder in the sleeping town, the version where I'm a barbie girl would play loudly when the killer was nearby someone. Oh the paranoia. I wonder if we ever will get back to this kind of uncurated madness.

Arttemis

The DBZ RPGs for sure we my favorite. The D&D custom games were right behind it.

I liked wintermauls quite a bit. This thread makes me sad, B.net 2.0 is such a god damn fucking failure. Both SC2 and Diablo 3's in-game social infrastructures are so shitty and neutered compared to what they once were, all because Blizzard wanted to chase some sterlized xbox-live style esports paradigm that no one wanted.
This. Such a massive step backward. Blizzard post-Activision is just not worth the time.

Paz

This thread is reminding me of how unbelievably fucking awful Battle.Net 2.0 and Starcraft 2 online multiplayer is, seriously awful that they basically hired an XBL designer to destroy the system that had nurtured a community for so long.

DOTA is an obvious favorite, there are too many TD's and RPG's to count but I think Footman Wars and Enfos are the ones that don't get enough love, maybe I'll install WC3 this weekend and play some of these games...

ScOULaris

Murder in the sleeping town, the version where I'm a barbie girl would play loudly when the killer was nearby someone. Oh the paranoia. I wonder if we ever will get back to this kind of uncurated madness.

Whoa, that sounds hilarious. I'll have to run a search on my maps database and see if I have that.

Mit-

Brood War custom games are always unfairly hidden in the shadow of Warcraft III. So many gems on there that didn't seem to transfer over to later games. Some of my favorites were the zombie defense maps like Raccoon City and countless other Resident Evil/general zombie-themed games, Grocery Store Wars, Dynasty Warriors, Heaven and Hell, A Day at School RPG, Parasite, DBZ games, SWAT/Hostage Rescue, the list really just goes on and on. I spent a lot of time on WC3 custom games as well, don't get me wrong, but there really was something special about BW custom games, it's hard to pinpoint it exactly.

I didn't play too many but I specifically remember the Raccoon City UMS maps. I enjoyed those a lot. So epic.

I never even played real StarCraft. Just random UMS and Fastest Map lulz

I've never played a competitive game of StarCraft in my life, but I spent an insane amount of time in custom games as a kid. I liked the RPG maps the best, but I don't remember any of them by name. One in particular sticks out in my mind as especially ambitious, but the title escapes me. Online StarCraft was my first experience with any kind of internet community. I'm sure it played no small part in my development as a human being.

This thread is reminding me of how unbelievably fucking awful Battle.Net 2.0 and Starcraft 2 online multiplayer is, seriously awful that they basically hired an XBL designer to destroy the system that had nurtured a community for so long.

DOTA is an obvious favorite, there are too many TD's and RPG's to count but I think Footman Wars and Enfos are the ones that don't get enough love, maybe I'll install WC3 this weekend and play some of these games...

Seriously, BNet 2.0 arguably only fits WoW atm because WoW has a completely different social system with BNet 2.0 just tacked on. I don't even think you can make custom channels in D3 yet nor Blizzard ever plans to.

Also I remember having alot of fun on the semi-DotA-styled Battleships map on WC3, with instead of heroes you have ships you can upgrade and shit.

Steel

Banned
Seriously, BNet 2.0 arguably only fits WoW atm because WoW has a completely different social system with BNet 2.0 just tacked on. I don't even think you can make custom channels in D3 yet nor Blizzard ever plans to.

Also I remember having alot of fun on the semi-DotA-styled Battleships map on WC3, with instead of heroes you have ships you can upgrade and shit.

Tanks and battleships were fun. The way you could customize your ships really made the game for me.

ScOULaris

I've never played a competitive game of StarCraft in my life, but I spent an insane amount of time in custom games as a kid. I liked the RPG maps the best, but I don't remember any of them by name. One in particular sticks out in my mind as especially ambitious, but the title escapes me. Online StarCraft was my first experience with any kind of internet community. I'm sure it played no small part in my development as a human being.
Ooh, I wanna see if I can figure of the map you're thinking of. What do you remember about it?

Pooya

used to play a lot of Island Hop in starcraft, air only games were so fun. air combat sucks in SCII as everything ends in 2 seconds. :(

I went ahead and created loads of huge maps for myself and friends, with islands or continents, it was so fun. SC1 was a lot more enjoyable than 2 with a lot more different possible playstyles..

Ooh, I wanna see if I can figure of the map you're thinking of. What do you remember about it?

Geez, I'm not sure I could give you any meaningful information. I just remember it had a large map with a lot of interesting and varied quests. A big portion of the map was a system of caves. There were brief story moments, like printed dialogue during quests, or something? And it had a title like a real game, it wasn't "StarCraft Quest RPG" or anything like that. I can't remember if it was Brood War or vanilla, but I'm leaning toward the latter.

I really wish I could be more specific, because I'd love to know what it was called. But this was a decade and a half ago and I was only 11.

ScOULaris

Geez, I'm not sure I could give you any meaningful information. I just remember it had a large map with a lot of interesting and varied quests. A big portion of the map was a system of caves. There were brief story moments, like printed dialogue during quests, or something? And it had a title like a real game, it wasn't "StarCraft Quest RPG" or anything like that. I can't remember if it was Brood War or vanilla, but I'm leaning toward the latter.

I really wish I could be more specific, because I'd love to know what it was called. But this was a decade and a half ago and I was only 11.
Some standouts from the Vanilla SC period include New Avalon and Archonic Revelation. Either of those ring a bell?

PSqueak

Banned
I missed the starcraft maps, but in WC3, me and my friends played tons, curiously enough, i didn't like the original DotA but instead...

Enfos: it's a concept similar to Dota except the teams are locked in their own sides of the map and cannot interact directly with the oppoising hero team, only against the invading minions, it was like a endurance contest and tons of fun.

Footmen Frenzy: It was like playing a regular game, ON CRACK, your command center would keep pumping units endlessly and you would use them to destroy your oponents, you could upgrade your base so you'd pump different units (as the name implies, everybody starts with footmen) and build towers, it was fast peaced fun.

TD Tournament: Normally Tower defense games bored me, but this one had just the right hook to make things interesting, each round would take you to a differente part of the map with a different layout, and you'd have some minutes and limited resources to place your towers from point a to point be, like a regular TD, once the wave of minions as done, each player would earn points based on the kills and move to the next layout.

Final Fantasy RPG: Massive map with MMORPG like quests and a job level system based on the final fantasy tactics job roster, it was amazing and had hours and hours of quests and plot. The downside was that it was too big, you couldn't finish it in one sitting and saving only saved your stats, not your quest progress so you'd start from square one and just progress faster due to stronger characters, also had only 2 text settings: normal and superfast, so when you "load your save game" you'd choose superfast to skip all you already did and promptly miss out the rest of the plot cause you cant turn it off.

TheChaos0

From the top of my head, I've played a lot of Bunker Warz, Zone Control, Paintball(? ctf with ghosts), myriad of those 1 unit survival RPGs, C&C vs SC and its sequel, Sunken Defence and variety of other defense maps.

SC:BW had so many interesting maps and it was so easy to just find something new. SC2 sadly never took off. UMS is definitely why I kept playing BW for years and years. I had to take the break from all those 1v1/2v2 LTs and 3v3 BGHs. :)

I almost feel like installing it again and playing against some remaining gosu's.

Top Bottom